Rasmussen’s May polling numbers in the GOP primary for Governor

Rasmussen has released the polling for the month of May, showing that three of the four Republican candidates lead Roy Barnes, the likely Democratic Party nominee. Despite all of the baggage that will be used to beat him in a general election, Nathan Deal does the best against Barnes. I don’t see how that’ll last in a general election if he is the GOP nominee.

You can view all polling between the potential GOP nominees and Roy Barnes here.

Roy Barnes v. Nathan Deal

Roy Barnes v. John Oxendine

• Barnes: 39%
  • Oxendine: 43%
  • Other: 11%
  • Not sure: 7%

1. ByteMe says:

So my questions of the morning about this poll:

1. Why doesn’t Rasmussen poll the candidates who will actually be on the ballot together in July instead of trying to game potential Fall match-ups?

2. Why is “Other” so much lower for Deal vs. Barnes than any other match-up?

Outside of that, this poll has as much meaning as a straw poll and will bring the sock puppets out in force this morning.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I’m a sock puppet for a Peach Pundit Straw Poll.

What gives Front Pagers, i.e.; Handelistas?

• Bucky Plyler says:

Hey Byte, here’s some probable answers

#1 Since the R’s are not yet interested in the primary, Rasmussen is helping them out.
        #2 Less ambiguity in a Barnes-Deal match ???????

• ByteMe says:

For #1, it’s likely that no one — regardless of affiliation — is that tuned-in yet. It still seems odd to run a poll and not ask the obvious question about what’s going to be on a ballot in the upcoming election.

For #2, that’s quite possible. I really don’t have a good theory on that one.

• Will Harrison says:

On #1, I think Rasmussen is trying to carve out a nitch for himself and provide something that no one else is doing. IA and others are already doing the primary.

2. Henry Waxman says:

So to recap Jason’s post, for the third month in a row Nathan Deal polls significantly better against the Democrats than any other Republican candidates, but despite all of this data, we (the front pagers on PP) don’t think he can win because last year he attended a group meeting with a state bureaucrat that involved an industry in which he had investments.

However, if Deal is such a bad candidate, then why are his “very unfavorables” LOWER than Handel’s and Oxendine’s? People on this site have been saying that Deal is “done” since November, but here we are in late May, and Deal is still out performing all other Republican candidates…

• I Am Jacks Post says:

Make sure you note that Karen Handel’s very unfavorable is higher than her very favorable. That I don’t understand, because Karen is as warm as fresh-out-of-the-oven crescent rolls . . .

Like Handel, Johnson’s very favorable/very unfavorable is also inverted.

And Johnson, according to Rasmussen, is the only GOP’er who loses to Barnes.

• iamnotasocialist says:

Because Rasmussen is a well known conservative pollster? I mean I’ve seen many polls to the contrary of this.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

He’s not outperforming – he’s just wasting more money on web, mail, new logos, staff. etc. Maybe he should have gotten more than ONE BID for that stuff!

• GOPwits says:

I have been wondering the same thing Mr. Waxman.

Deal is Done was overused last fall, yet here he rides again, coasting on a wave of I don’t know what to be doing this well.

So, my only guesses are:

1. His 9th District base is that big
      2. No one outside of the Atlanta media market has really gotten the full dose of how bad his corruption story was
      3. No one outside of the Atlanta media market really heard about his ghetto grandmother comments and his justification of them

That explains Deal, but I’m really surprised by Handel’s lopsided unfavorables too. I think it’s time to flesh out Handel as a person and let people see who she is and what she stands for and not just what makes her angry and what she stands against.

• SFrazier says:

Georgia voters are much smarter than you think. They know the corruption charges were nonsense and are now turning on Handel for bearing false witness. You had a choice of 4 locations to take your car, no monopoly- The state never gave him a dime in the deal, the customer paid- He never hid it and disclosed his return on equity publicly every year— We could go on and on, nothing but a sock puppet inflated B.S. story that has made Georgians mad. So please, keep bringing up the false accusations and keep helping Deal climb to 60%.

3. John Konop says:

Deal is toast in a general election. Barnes will have a field day with all the scandals, raising money with sexual predator Mark Foley, state towing contract……

You know Barnes will flood the airwaves with commercials about the above issues. And Deal will fall like a boulder off a cliff.

• Lady Thinker says:

That is what the Jim Jones cultists in the Deal camp are hoping with their constant lies about Karen. Won’t work though, lies can’t be proven, no matter how many times you all post them.

• John Konop says:

I Am Jacks Post,

I was out spent 20 to 1 and never ran for anything in my life. And I did not run a full-time campaign with a staff, consultants….. Also I ran on a message nobody wanted to hear that our economy was in trouble. If you think it is the same situation with Roy Barnes campaign this year, than you are only fooling yourself.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

With no money, no campaign team, and candidly–no real reason for running–you took on a full-spectrum conservative and got pounded. And you would have us believe that you have the political acumen to predict what will happen to Deal–or any candidate, for that matter–in a general election? C’mon, dude.

• Henry Waxman says:

People have been saying this since November, but Deal’s poll numbers keep increasing. There is a difference between wishful thinking and what is actually happening, and the Rasmussen poll numbers that have repeatedly shown Deal performing better than Handel in all three aspects (more votes, higher very favorables, and lower very unfavorables) is what is actually happening.

• Henry Waxman says:

None. How many have you seen? If Handel, Oxendine, and/or Johnson think they will work, then they better start using them soon.

• Henry Waxman says:

My guess is that Barnes will do everything he can to avoid the campaign from going negative because his very unfavorables are well over twice as high as Deal’s.

• Icarus says:

Do you really believe that or are you just hoping other people making up their minds about a primary vote are dumb enough to believe that?

• Hill Rat says:

Since you see seem so certain, please enlighten us as to the general election strategy that Roy Barnes will use, oh wise one. We anxiously await the blessings of your clairvoyance.

• Hill Rat says:

Speaking of clairvoyance, do you still stand by your “Deal. Done.” statement from a few weeks ago? I ask because he doesn’t seem quite so “done” in the polls.

• Cool Hand Luke says:

Hey Hill Rat,

Sounds like you’re one of those lobbyist types. Do you wear them fancy ostrich skin shoes? :)

• Hill Rat says:

Of course, I do. I also wear heavily starched French blue shirts with white cuffs and collars with my dark navy suits and tortoise shell glasses.

• John Konop says:

Henry Waxman,

In all due respect would that not argue Barnes would try to drive up Deal’s negatives? Deal is really an unknown for most people outside of his district. One could argue all the other candidates have much more exposure positive and negative via running statewide other than Johnson.

• Hill Rat says:

Are you claiming that people won’t know all of the facts until there are 30-second television ads that twist, slice, and spin the truth???

I truly hope not.

• Hill Rat says:

If Barnes goes negative, he will have no problem going negative on ANY of the Republican candidates. Maybe we should nominate the guy who is polling at least four points better than any of the other Republican candidates.

• rugby says:

People don’t pay attention to the news anymore so…yeah.

You think there is a reason candidates spend so much on TV ads?

• Mozart says:

Barnes isn’t that stupid as to “flood the airwaves” about a non-direct connection on Mark Foley. What do you know about how to run a successful campaign, John? Not much if you think the Dems play stupid cards like the ones you fret over.

• GOPwits says:

Indeed you are correct John. Race you to the stampede of Republicans for Barnes if Deal is the nominee cause no one is going to want to tie themselves around that corruption, especially after Roy Barnes puts a couple of million dollars behind it.

Think about it Republicans. If Deal is the nominee – we’re / you’re all corrupt and none of you deserve to be elected to anything… Oddly enough Roy would lead the wave of the Democratic Party’s rebirth in Georgia all by railing Deal in the ground as the leader of the Corrupt Party of Georgia.

• SFrazier says:

The real scandals are with Karen Handel. The HAMID ALAE connection warrants more investigation.

ATLANTA – Questionable contributions and gifts from lobbyists, received by Handel as recently as last year, were brought to light this afternoon by the Democratic Party of Georgia. As Chair of the Fulton County Commission, Handel received thousands in campaign cash from corporations with business before the Commission.

On September 27, 2005, Handel received a contribution from Hamid Alaee. Four months later, Mr. Alaee’s company, Unique Design and Construction, received approval for a zoning modification from Handel and the Commission. Many other beneficiaries of Handel’s actions on the Fulton County Commission gave campaign contributions of up to $10,000, including Roberts Properties, Archer Western Contractors, Brown and Caldwell, Gresham Smith and Partners, John Controls, and others. In 2006, Handel received $10,000 from Fourth Quarter Properties, the real estate company involved in a notoriously shady land deal with Karen Handel’s old boss, Sonny Perdue.

“It’s hard to believe that Karen Handel is shocked by the Republican revolving door of money and politics considering how she helped keep it moving as an elected official,” said Kidd. “While Karen Handel now attacks politicians who make decisions ‘based on the size of the contribution,’ during her term as Chair of the Fulton County Commission, she received multiple political contributions from companies that had business in front of the Commission.”

“If you’re sitting across from the Governor at the Capitol and receiving handouts from lobbyists, it’s disingenuous for you to turn around and complain about the need for ‘radical change’ under the Gold Dome,” said Kidd, “It’s time for Karen Handel to step up and admit that she was just as much a part of the culture of corruption as John Oxendine or Glenn Richardson. Make no mistake, Karen Handel’s resignation is a step forward for clean government. Why would Georgia want to return her to power?”

• Hill Rat says:

Could it be another Handel Scandel???

See how catchy that sounds. Maybe Barnes will make a 30-second ad about that. What do you think about that, Icarus and Rugby???

• Will Harrison says:

If true, Handel’s bribery certainly does sound a WHOLE LOT WORSE than Deal’s participation in a group meeting with the Georgia Revenue Commissioner.

• Will Harrison says:

I bet Team Barnes would have a field day with this story during the General. Fortunately, Scandel Handel is in third place, and currently out of the run off.

• Lady Thinker says:

Jim Jones cultist lies again. Post it as many times as you want and you lie won’t be the truth.

4. Mayonnaise says:

Name recognition (Very Fav plus Very UnFav):
    Barnes 49%.
    Oxendine 29%
    Deal 24%
    Handel 23%
    Johnson 16%

This poll says that the Democrats are in a heap of trouble in this state come November. For Barnes to be losing after 8 years of Sonny and with his far greater name recognition is pretty pathetic. Obama, Pelosi, and Reed have driven a nail into the BlueDogs.

5. rightofcenter says:

You speak with great confidence of what would happen in a general. If Roy Barnes gets involved in a mudslinging contest with anybody, I would argue he is much more vulnerable. People actually remember him and the things they didn’t like about him when he was governor. His track record as a trial lawyer is also fair game. He can’t hide his arrogance which is on full display in his current commercials. You can look back to the Taylor effort to use Perdue’s land deals to see that anything less than a criminal charge or a sexual picadillo only has a marginal effect.

In short, Deal appears to be rising, much to the chagrin of the other candidates and their sock puppets. If he makes the runoff with the Ox, he will win the runoff and beat Barnes in November.

• John Konop says:

The raising money with Mark Foley took down other candidates before. And Nathan deal being a co-sponsor after the sexual predator issue was out will have real legs in a general election with woman and independents.

• Henry Waxman says:

John, if you can show us any evidence that Deal and Foley were at this fundraiser together or that Deal personally approved this fundraiser, I would love to see it because all I can find is that the contracted staff of a Leadership PAC associated with Nathan Deal and the contracted staff of a Leadership PAC associated with over a dozen lawmakers (that one article claims includes Foley, but no one can find any other supporting evidence of this fact) were accepting PAC contributions at the same location.

Further, it is important to note that this fundraiser set up by Leadership PAC staffers was in 2006 and was BEFORE the accusations that Foley was sending inappropriate Instant Messages to a former Congressional page.

Seriously, you are going to need something better than five degrees of separation if you convincingly want to connect these two Members. However, I have a feeling that Team Handel is content to just mention their names in the same sentence and see if something sticks….

• Henry Waxman says:

John, let us know if you find where Nathan Deal or any Leadership PAC associated with his name gave a dime to Mark Foley because I can’t find any evidence anywhere.

• John Konop says:

Henry Waxman,

In all due respect this issue took down candidates before, and if Deal had an issue with PROM and Mark Foley being co-sponsors he could of released a statement before the money was raised. And it is clear the event was weeks after the Foley scandal hit.

• John Konop says:

As far as the Handel team I am not part of the campaign team. I have only given my opinions on economic and education issue as I have done with other candidates from both parties.

• Henry Waxman says:

“I have only given my opinions on economic and education issue…”

You do realize that there is contradictory evidence to your statement in this very same thread, right?

How does trolling through postings on the Democratic Underground website and using them in feeble attempt to connect Deal with Foley have ANYTHING to do with your “opinions on economic and education issue[s]”???

• Henry Waxman says:

John, I enjoy your postings, but I think you are really, really reaching on this one.

• John Konop says:

Henry Waxman,

The truth is as I posted before, I only did a Google search on Mark Foley and Nathan Deal after the gay bashing I saw from Deal supporters. I am not all accusing you of that because as I said I respect the fact that you tend to stick to the issues. And in my search I fund many links from numerous newspapers around the country reporting on candidates raising money with Foley after he got caught.

And I have been very clear especially on education and economics issues I would offer my views to any side. And I do think the bipartisan approach on education from many of us, resulted in every candidate from all sides being against the failed math 123 and being against the one size fit all No Child Left Behind education system Kathy Cox promoted.

Obviously I would want the most fiscally conservative candidate in that office. Yet the above is an example of a small victory no matter who wins that job.

I look at the Governors race the same way. It is all about what is best for Georgia not what is best for a party.

• John Konop says:

Cool Hand Luke,

I have no issue doing business and associating with anyone regardless to sex, race, religion….. But unlike you, I draw the line with sexual predators!

• Cool Hand Luke says:

I absolutely have a problem with child molestors. But I also have a problem with self-rightous people like you who lie and deceive in order to bring other people down.

I suggest you ask the Lord for forgiveness for you wicked ways. You and Barnes will cetainly be disappointed when Deal wins.

I will pray for your soul.

• Hill Rat says:

I don’t think you answered a single question that Henry asked of you.

Where is the proof that Deal and Foley were at the fundraiser?

Where is the proof that Deal approved this fundraiser?

Where is the proof that Deal gave money to Foley?

• John Konop says:

Where is the proof that Deal and Foley were at the fundraiser?

DEAL was the sponsor of the event end of story!

Where is the proof that Deal approved this fundraiser?

It would be hard for DEAL to argue as the sponsor of the event that he did not approve of it.

Where is the proof that Deal gave money to Foley?

Foley was helping DEAL raise money after he was caught sexually abusing under aged pages.

THE STORY IS CLEAR!

Members of the committee, Â include two New Yorkers – John Sweeney (20th CD) and Sue Kelly (19th CD) -Â as well as Shelley Moore Capito, of West Virginia, who is a member of the House Page Board and was not told of the Foley emails when the issue came up earlier this year.

Evidently, the committee had an event last month, according to the NRCC Web site:

Event: You are cordially invited to P.R.O.M. Night: Physicians to Retain our Majority With Honorary Chairman of the Red Rooster Leadership PAC Nathan Deal
                Time: 5 to 6:30 p.m.Â
                Location: B. Smiths Restaurant 50 Massachusetts Ave., NE Washington, DCÂ
                Details: RSVP to Tom Hammond or Jill Pasqualetto Hammond & Associates P. 703-548.6916 F. 703.548.5048
                The name of this committee, which helps candidates tap new donor bases, is doubly unfortuate when you consider this passage from an Oct. 3 LA Times story:

“The pages did, however, receive a lot of attention from Foley. He attended one of their parties in a tuxedo. He donated to the fundraiser that helps pay for their prom and spoke admiringly about them in floor speeches.”

This is the second joint fundraising committee Sweeney has helped form. The first was BOMP – Bowling for Our Majority Party – of which Foley is not a member.

UPDATE #1: It seems both Sweeney and Kelly are having a bit of trouble with the FEC filing requirements.

UPDATE #2: Sweeney’s Deputy Chief of Staff Melissa Carlson says the campaign has addressed that FEC issue. She also noted the congressman’s Democratic challenger, Kirsten Gillibrand, has some FEC issues of her own.

UPDATE # 3: A reader pointed out the odd timing of all of this:

Papers to create PROM were filed with the FEC Sept. 19. (The statement of organization form was dated Sept. 18). Sweeney filed notice of his involvement with PROM on Sept. 26 – the same day as the PROM event. Foley resigned Sep. 29.
                I wonder what he’s going to do with that PROM cash…

• Cool Hand Luke says:

Doesn’t pass the smell test. Although, the crap your trying to shovel sure does…

• Hill Rat says:

The PROOF that Nathan Deal was personally present at the fundraiser is the fact that the leadership PAC he is associated with is listed as a sponsor of the event???

I pray to God that you don’t ever serve on a jury, JK.

• benevolus says:

This is supposedly from the invitation (shown at the link):
                    “You are cordially invited to P.R.O.M. Night: Physicians to Retain our Majority With Honorary Chairman of the Red Rooster Leadership PAC Nathan Deal”

(emphasis mine)

• Hill Rat says:

EVEN IF that is the text of the real invitation, that doesn’t mean that Deal was there or that was there with Foley.

• Hill Rat says:

EVEN IF that is the text of the real invitation, that doesn’t mean that Deal was there or that Deal was there with Foley.

Where is the evidence that Foley had anything to do with P.R.O.M.???

• John Konop says:

Hill Rat,

It was clear, FOLEY was one of the 13 members working with Deal to raise money after he gat caught sexually abusing minors.

….A newspaper devoted to covering Capitol Hill reported Thursday that Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., was a member of a group of 13 members of Congress – including scandal-riddled Rep. Mark Foley, R-Fla. – that jointly raised money from doctors.

Physicians to Retain Our Majority, which goes by the acronym PROM, held a single Washington, D.C., fundraiser where all 13 Republican members shared equally in the wealth, said Kent Gates, Capito’s consultant….

• Will Harrison says:

You are relying on the SAME ARTICLE to support a claim that the article itself makes. X says that Y is true, and I know this is true because X said so.

Do you have ANY EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that Foley was an official part of PROM other than this one article?

• benevolus says:

Well since the story appeared in a pretty well known and widely read publication, all it would take is a denial from either or both of them to put it to rest.

6. It’s really good to see that John ‘Other’ Monds numbers continue to rise.

I thought that there was a chance they would actually start referring to John Monds by name after our nominating State Convention.

Well, maybe they will after “second class” party/candidate qualifying week: June 28, 20109:00 a.m; Earliest day for an Independent, Political Body, or Nonpartisan candidate to file Notice of Candidacy to have their name placed on the November General Election Ballot. O.C.G.A. 21-2-132 (c ) (1) (2)

• Man, ney’s sum igner’nt folks on’er!

So, for you, taking some time off from a career in financial services in order to care of the home, raise and educate own children, volunteer to better one’s own community should be looked down upon or considered “women’s work,” huh?

• bluedogdem says:

Mayonnaise…I respect John for putting his LIFE ON HOLD WHILE HE HOMESCHOOLS his kids. At least John has the guts to do this while a lot of us do not. God forbid him be a responsible Father and not let the horrible Government education system into his kids life. I’m thinking you should change your name to “BullButter”

• brettbittner says:

I suppose that homeschooling 4 kids and his community involvement isn’t “employment” enough for you? I know many homeschooling parents that work harder to ensure a quality education for their children than anyone throwing up sheetrock (back when construction was still going on, that is).

While many of us are subject to the “Two-Income Trap,” why not celebrate someone whose family has made the right choices to allow the homeschooling and community involvement on just the income of Mrs. Monds?

My two cents… But I suppose that you’d prefer that he send his kids off to be indoctrinated by the government schools and pay for after-school care with the second income?

7. A few years ago, every time the Sonny Perdue Land Deal came up, people here said it was a dead issue. No one cares, no one’s getting any traction with it, etc. They cited to polls which backed up their conclusion.

Today, many of those SAME people are make-believing that the general public cares about Nathan Deal having shady deals, or public speaking gaffes, or standing in the same room with Mark Foley once upon a time. For some reason, this time around the pesky polls aren’t relevant.

I’m not saying that Deal is going to win the nomination, but I will say that Georgia voters just flat out DO NOT CARE about corruption. Not really, when it matters. Sometimes that fact works in favor of your chosen candidate, and sometimes it doesn’t.

• Icarus says:

We’re still in the wholesale part of the ballgame Steve, with the retail storefront just opening up.

Deal was already outspending his competition, while not doing the best at fundraising. He’s got no gas in the tank for the retail part of this campaign.

The general public may not care about his insider deals, but most of them still don’t know about it.

But the support that Deal had coming from D.C. very much cares about it, which is why most of it has evaporated. If Deal can’t raise money, or deploy the grassroots that were once tied to his friends in D.C., then it very much matters, whether the retail voters know or care.

But when Roy Barnes has his millions aimed at the Republican nominee – in a year when voters will already be angry at self-serving incumbents who haven’t made their lives better or even taken care of routine business – my guess is that they will care.

And that’s why Deal – and Ox – are unacceptable candidates.

• John Konop says:

Steve Perkins,

I agree with Icarus, the public is not fat, dumb and happy this election. This election will be an anti-Washington insider election as demonstrated by all the upsets by both parties already. Most people are worried about the basics, jobs, schools…..

In business when a customer is happy they will over look some mistakes. But when a customer hits the point they are not happy they will Landry list everything that bothers them. This election has a lot of pissed off customers!

• Lady Thinker says:

Do you think it is ethical and moral to call someone a liar because you disagree with their comments? Are you a Christian or a psuedo-christian? Do you think attacking is the essence of your religion? How is your behavior helping Done Deal?

• Mayonnaise says:

“He’s got no gas in the tank for the retail part of this campaign.” … Does Karen?

Unless something has changed, Ox and Johnson are the only ones with a good slug of cash. I’d say Deal has the same shot as Karen at this point. We could be looking at a 3-way photo finish for 2nd place. Also, who has the greater state-wide grassroots who will me making the personal phone-calls? I’d say Johnson holds the edge in that also.

• Icarus says:

Yes, she does. Karen’s 1Q fundraising was in the neighborhood of EJ’s. And her burn rate wasn’t nearly that of Deal’s. She also hasn’t had her support cut out from under her via release of an ethics report.

I’ve said all along I thought she and EJ are the two in the runoff. My only question about that now is whether or not Ox bombs drop before or after July 20th. If everyone keeps their powder dry on Ox, it’s Karen battling EJ for the other runoff spot.

• Romegaguy says:

Wont be EJ. How much did he blow on those ads he ran across the state around the Master’s Tourney and still no movement in the polls?

• Henry Waxman says:

Since you are so confident, I’m willing to make it interesting, Icarus. If it’s Handel and Johnson in the run off, I won’t post on PP for a full year. If Deal makes the run off, then you agree not to post on PP for a full year.

Do we have a bet?

• Henry Waxman says:

Icarus, if you don’t like the original wager, how about this:

If it’s Handel and Johnson in the run off, I won’t post a single negative comment about Karen Handel on PP for a full year. The words community college drop out, carpetbagger, Perdue land deal, GED, Lane Bryant, Scandal Handel, etc. won’t make a single appearance. I wouldn’t even give a “+1” to someone else who makes a negative comment or link to an article about Karen Handel that someone could perceive as negative.

If Deal makes the run off, then you agree not to post anything negative about Nathan Deal on PP for a full year.

That seems like a fair wager to me. What do you think? Do we have a deal?

• Doug Grammer says:

I’d really take some of that action concidering I’ve never refered to Sec. Handel as (or with) any of those things and I never will.

• John Konop says:

In all honesty I would not like to see you or Icarus restrained on your debates. It is usually informing and entertaining.

I would buy you and Icarus beers at happy hour just to watch the debate between you guys!

• NorthGAGOP says:

Johnson has a good slug of cash? Dick Williams said Sunday that Johnson spent $1,000,000 and it didn’t move his numbers at all.

• GOPwits says:

Icarus is correct on this front.

There is also a big difference between Sonny’s deals and Deal’s deals. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Republicans better wake up or this election in Georgia is gone from them. It’s time for some big ideas.

8. ChuckEaton says:

I found these two questions very interesting:

7* Suppose the new Arizona immigration law was being considered for your state. Would you favor or oppose passage of that law in your state?

55% Favor
    27% Oppose
    19% Not sure

8* Suppose a police officer stops someone for a traffic violation or a violation of some other law. If the police officer suspects that the person they stopped might be an illegal immigrant, should the officer be required to check their immigration status?

72% Yes
    19% No
    10% Not sure

There is a much higher “Yes” response when people are asked about a key aspect of the Arizona law without actually mentioning the word “Arizona.” Which tells me the relentless media bashing of the Arizona law is working to some degree.

The Arizona law basically mirrors the Federal Government’s Section 287(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Some people are getting caught up in the “Reasonable Suspicion” language, but it’s already been implemented under Section 287(g) in Cobb, Gwinnett and Hall Counties. The police aren’t chasing people down the sidewalks in Cobb, Gwinnett an Hall. “Reasonable Suspicion” is usually when someone is pulled over for a traffic violation and she doesn’t have a driver’s license, the car is not registered in her name and she doesn’t have insurance. I believe this is how the student at Kennesaw State was caught – she was driving without a license (and I’m guessing no insurance.)

• benevolus says:

No wonder candidates flip-flop and waffle on issues! No one knows one thing Undecided stands for but they don’t care!

On the other hand, s/he never goes negative either.

9. debbie0040 says:

What!! Scott Rasmussen only inlcuded the top 4 in the poll? The same four that participated in the debate Saturday. He must be in the back pocket of the GOP establishment…

• Mozart says:

While being a lib-er-al pollster. He must have to visit a chiropractor a lot for all the twisting he has to contend with if we are to read the whiners as if they are correct.