Deal claims momentum

Nathan Deal’s campaign just sent this out:

For the third-straight month, the Rasmussen Reports poll shows Nathan Deal maintaining the greatest lead over Roy Barnes of any Republican candidate.

According to Rasmussen in a story here: “A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Voters in Georgia finds Congressman Nathan Deal still running slightly stronger than the other Republicans. Deal earns 47% support to Barnes’ 40%, virtually identical to his 46% to 39% lead a month ago. Against Baker, Deal posts a 47% to 30% lead.”

Republicans eager to keep the governor’s office will continue to swell the ranks of support for Deal for Governor.

“Month after month now, the largest number of Georgia voters have said that Nathan Deal is the honest, conservative leader they want as Georgia’s next governor,” said Deal spokesman Brian Robinson. “Nathan has maintained a 7-point lead even as every Georgian has seen Democrat Roy Barnes on TV begging for forgiveness from the pews to the classrooms. Georgians are responding to Nathan’s conservative message on creating jobs, cutting waste and assuring a better future for Georgia’s families. Georgians know we’re in a budget crisis unparalleled in modern times, and they’re looking for a reasonable, seasoned leader at the helm who can make tough choices. The Democrats are already making big spending promises. Nathan Deal knows we have to grow our way out of this mess and the Democrats’ liberal spending will choke off any hope of new jobs and attracting new industry.”

The poll shows Republican candidates John Oxendine and Karen Handel with smaller leads over Barnes, but again has Barnes beating Eric Johnson, despite Johnson’s three-week TV ad buy and statewide mail piece.

“This news comes on the heels last week of a WSB-TV poll that has Nathan as the only Republican gaining ground as he rocketed into second place in the race as Oxendine and Handel saw their numbers drop,” Robinson said. “Less than two months from July 20, numerous indicators suggest Nathan Deal is the candidate with momentum who is moving forward. The other candidates aren’t just stuck; they’re going backward. Obviously, voters are re-evaluating and moving from Oxendine and Handel to Deal.”

1. Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

I think others will get to BID on momentum. That will take away his usual advantage.

2. HankRearden says:

Strong showing from a strong man. I am glad to see him doing well. I am also glad to see him fighting back.
    Good Job Rep. Deal!

• ReaganRepublican says:

This shows a good, consistent, positive trend. Also, when you put 3 months of data together you really have a powerful sample size when compared to voting population

• GOPwits says:

Roy Barnes and State and National Democrats are dancing in the streets with glee at the prospects of running against one of Washington’s most corrupt, useless, and ethically challenged Members of Congress as well as an unapologetic racist.

3. ByteMe says:

What it doesn’t show is Deal leading over the people who will be on the ballot for the primary. Without that, doesn’t matter how he shows up against Barnes.

4. dang90210 says:

i dont even see how deal is up in the polls with this getto comments i will not vote for him in the primary with all the ethics charges i though oxendine was bad but deal got him beat

5. hugoblacksupreme says:

I don’t think this will sit well for Barnes. I have Barnes beating any of the current crop of GOP hopefulls except Deal.

• Cool Hand Luke says:

And I’m betting Barnes would rather lose to Deal than any of the other candidates.

Why??? Because Nathan Deal is a good man and genuinely nice guy.

• Will Harrison says:

Losing to a community college drop out who hasn’t even lived in the state for 20 years would certainly sting A LOT more for Barnes.

• ReaganRepublican says:

When did she go to community college? I would like to see a transcript? With her history of lying we need verification.

6. The problem with this poll is Barnes isn’t running in a Republican primary and this ain’t no two way race.

To beat Barnes, Deal has to finish the primary in the top two. Then he has to win the runoff. Then he can run against Barnes. Handel and EJ may have worse numbers against Barnes and have different unfavorables. But this poll hasn’t put them all together, if Chapman, EJ, and Putnam could have enough of a drag to make the runoff between Handel and Ox. Sans Deal. How will he beat Barnes then? That’s the problem, and why relying on these polls now means little.

Deal should be touting this however, as a method of picking up potential voters – if they are that afraid of Barnes.

Herein lies the next problem, I’m not sure Georgia Voters are politically active enough to get this message or care. Voters sometimes don’t vote for the most electable person, sometimes they do. That is the way it goes.

• GOPwits says:

Thank you for the dose of logic, but the tin hats and sock puppets here representing Nathan “Ghetto Grandfather” Deal won’t get it or care.

• ReaganRepublican says:

He is beating Handel. And when you consider that they are not taking the huge 9th district turnout in to consideration in the polls, his lead is even bigger.

• Lady Thinker says:

Tom Price didn’t think so, he withdrew his Done Deal support to back Karen. That’s gotta hurt.

• ReaganRepublican says:

The only one that got hurt is Tom Price. A lot of people in East Cobb and Cherokee saw through his antics. I for one no longer want him as my rep. Cherokee does not need to be in a congressional district with Fulton. We have different values; it is not fair to conservative Cherokee. First he endorses Pro-abortion, pro-gun control Mitt Romney. And then he plays a nasty game with Nathan because Deal had the character to stand up and say I will not endorse that phony. Well, Cherokee unlike Fulton voted for Huckabee. Price was irrelevant than, and he will be now as well.

• SFrazier says:

2012 is coming and he is the front runner in all polls. And yes, more importantly in this scenario, he won Georgia with grass roots support while spending no money. That team belongs to Deal and is worth a lot of $$$$ in grass roots support.

• Will Harrison says:

Hey GOPwits, did you ever tell us who the leak at the Justice Department was? Or were you just going to confess to the fabrication?

• Will Harrison says:

I hear the feds don’t have much of a sense of humor when it comes to information about criminal investigations being leaked, but I think we all know you were just making it up.

• Henry Waxman says:

Maybe GOPwits really does have a close friend at the Justice Department who is willing to risk his or her career (and possible jail time) in order to tell GOPwits things so that he can look smart on a blog about Georgia politics…Yeah, that seems plausible…

7. Technocrat says:

Ox will win the Primary runoff! Regardless of the spells and brainwashing PP has attempted.

• dj says:

Well…I don’t know about the 40% mojo…but we all know that Ray Boyd has the fortitude! All Ray has to do is sit and wait and let the “others” self implode…it’s just that simple!

• Will Harrison says:

But since undecided can’t legally serve as Governor, Nathan Deal as the first-runner-up to Undecided, can claim the inertia.

8. dang90210 says:

techncrat you are right down here in south georgia all i see is oxendine signs and he have alot of people getting the message out its going to the grassroots movement and nobody but the ox

9. Carpet Capital says:

Hey look, it’s a rare post about Mr. Deal without some snide comments from the authors of this blog. This might be a first.

• Carpet Capital says:

Clearly you don’t understand numbers at all or you just choose to ignore them. I haven’t figured out which yet.

• Or maybe she understands you can’t win a general election without winning the primary, which this poll doesn’t indicate with any calculated certainty nor does it declare it does. This poll isn’t listed as a Republican primary poll. Or did you guys miss that?

Deal is currently doing the best against Barnes. How does he do against Chapman, Johnson, Handel, Oxendine, Putnam, and McBerry? Because he could beat Barnes by 90% – it won’t matter until he gets to the show.

• Carpet Capital says:

No I got that, but thanks though. I am also referring to the IA poll that came out showing Mr. Deal polling ahead of Handel and up 7 points since April. I would call that momentum, wouldn’t you?

• That’s not the subject of this press release. And not what Lady Thinker was referring too.

Man you Deal and Handel supporters can get nasty with each other. This is entertaining.

• Carpet Capital says:

“This news comes on the heels last week of a WSB-TV poll that has Nathan as the only Republican gaining ground as he rocketed into second place in the race as Oxendine and Handel saw their numbers drop” – I’m pretty sure that’s part of the press release, or maybe I just imagined it. It’s amazing what facts can do for you.

• It’s amazing how you can take a sentence from the last paragraph from the end of a press release and somehow envision it as the primary thrust of the press release, while the bulk of it is about something else.

And as Byte has said, Undecided gained ground in that poll as well.

And speaking as one of the few people here who remains undecided in this race, I’m not being compelled by these polls. Or the insanity around here.

• Carpet Capital says:

I’m pretty sure I never said it was the primary thrust of the press release. But, these two polls taken together obviously show momentum. Or am I missing the meaning of the word?

• You’re missing Lady Thinker’s point, that the RM poll isn’t a great indicator of momentum. Said poll was the subject of the press release. The IA poll was wedged in with a sentence in the conclusion.

The IA poll shows some momentum, yes. The RM poll not so much. I don’t really understand how you intend to win over voters by being so snarky on here.

• ByteMe says:

+100%

It amazes me that people think they’re doing their candidate any good — with Undecided at such a high number — by getting out here and name-calling, opposition bashing, acting “holier than thou”, and making stuff up. There’s a way to sell your candidate to the undecideds and what I see out here from the bulk of the commenterati isn’t anything close to a successful sales job.

• Henry Waxman says:

Exactly how many undecided voters do y’all think are closely reading our posts in order to decide who to vote for on July 20th???

• Henry Waxman says:

This is all just an inside-baseball conversation for the entertainment of less than 20 avid posters and a few spectators.

• AlanR says:

Yeah, well let Undecided send out his own bleeding press release. He hasn’t raised a dime and hasn’t sent out any mail and doesn’t show up for debates. Deal will crush Undecided on primary day.

• Cool Hand Luke says:

My point is that CarpetCapitol is right and you, Lady Non-Thinker , are wrong AND self-rightous with your Cool-Aid support of a non-educated, self-serving, moderate who doesn’t care about her supporters.

• Lady Thinker says:

Are you one of the Jim Jones cultist survivors?

You attack several things about Karen but you haven’t shown that Done Deal has a better plan than Karen for issues relating to the Economy, Education, Health, Immigration, Jobs, Taxes, Transportation, or Water Rights.

Done Deal doesn’t have a better plan than Karen because if he did, you pseudo-Christians would attack her plans and promote his, instead, you attempt to invent non-existent character flaws in hopes voters will be distracted by your lies rather than the issues.

Another reason you attack Karen is she has no ethical charges against her and your candidate, Done Deal, has had ethical smears against his character. We grassroots supporters of Karen can see what you are doing and so can the voters. Karen has a better plan, Done Deal doesn’t.

• ReaganRepublican says:

RD, now we know how you got your PP gig. Have some self respect.
          Deal is ahead of Handel. In a run off with the huge 9th district base, there is no way Deal loses.

• Considering I’m not pro-Handel, I think you are mistaken.

I think you are also underestimating the likely run off in GA7 and maybe GA2. The GA9 special election brought in 51k votes, in 2008 it brought in 60k.

Even then, if you look at what I’ve said – I agree with you. If Deal makes it to a runoff he wins. He has to make it to the runoff .

• ReaganRepublican says:

That is because Deal was not on the ticket. With him on the ticket it will bring in at least 135k, maybe more. Now I do not believe in the larger 500K GOP turnout predicted. I think it will be closer to about 425K. There is not a lot of interest and not a lot of money to get the vote out. The general GOP population does not want to take the time to educate themselves in the primary process. They will however come out big in November to stop Obama once our GOP choices are made.

• Doug Grammer says:

Roland,

I’ve read all the previous posts and I can’t find any definitive way to understand exactly what LT’s comment “Deal fantasy land” is referring to. I don’t know if it’s to another persons comment, but considering it’s a fresh comment not related to others, I would think it would refer to the press release.

If she wants to explain, I am sure that I am not the only person wanting to hear her thoughts. I would guess that she has the most trouble with the last sentence: “Obviously, voters are re-evaluating and moving from Oxendine and Handel to Deal.”

…..Or she’s pitching a new board game to Milton-Bradley.

10. Pine Knot says:

If Ox gets the nomination Barnes wins. What do you people not get? Deal is the strongest general election candidate. Rass is extremely accurate. I agree that Deal must make it out of the primary to have a shot. That will be the hard part. If Deal gets out of the primary he is our next Gov. Its as simple as that. Nathan has a good chance to get in the runoff because of the 9th district election..

• ReaganRepublican says:

Tom Price is looking pretty stupid and weak right about now. A lot of people in East Cobb and Cherokee saw through his antics. I for one no longer want him as my rep. Cherokee does not need to be in a congressional district with Fulton. We have different values; it is not fair to conservative Cherokee. First he endorses Pro-abortion, pro-gun control Mitt Romney. And then he plays a nasty game with Nathan because Deal had the character to stand up and say I will not endorse that phony. Well, Cherokee unlike Fulton voted for Huckabee. Price was irrelevant than, and he will be now as well.

• Will Harrison says:

If Deal is “Done,” and Deal is leading Handel in every poll I can find, what does that make Scandel Handel? Well Done? More Done?

• analogkid says:

If Nathan and Karen find themselves unemployed in January 2011, they might consider starring in a buddy movie together. Suggested title: “Done and Doner.”

• Doug Grammer says:

Could be a TV series…with guest appearances by the other candidates, but Karen wouldn’t be in the episode with McBerry as a guest star.

• Cool Hand Luke says:

Lady Thinker,

Price left because his wife was never happy that he supported Nathan Deal.

Price withdrew his support because his wife told him to do so. I guess if Mama ain’t happy, nobody’s happy.

• Henry Waxman says:

I heard that Price was threatened by his Handel-supporting fundraisers who have much to gain from Handel being elected Governor. They must be in the crooked land-deal business.

11. ACConservative says:

Forget the polls, I’m flabbergasted by the assertion that Nathan Deal can make “tough choices.” Isn’t this the same guy who quit his job in an attempt to skip town before the vote on the healthcare bill came due?

I’m aware that he had to run back to Washington with his tail tucked between his legs in order to cast that “no” vote… but he can’t possibly envision himself as an independent thinker or seasoned leader capable of making “tough choices.”

Is he going to quit as governor the moment an important decision crosses his desk? My gut feeling is yes.

• Cool Hand Luke says:

Be careful Miss Lady “I’m supporting the lady that quit her SoS job, so that she could raise money” Thinker……

• Lady Thinker says:

Let’s see, as I recalled, Deal quit Congress, went back and quit a second time, all within a month.

Johnson also quit.

Karen resigned so she would not be accused of manipulating election results, especially when she wins the Primary, the Runoff, then the General.

I think that took courage on Karen’s part and shows her belief in herself. She gave up a paycheck and is jobless, yet she marches on in her campaign. I fully support her decision.

• ReaganRepublican says:

Please, give me a break. He stood up to President Bush when he was trying to give illegal’s amnesty. The whole GOP including Saxby and Johnny had caved in. Deal courageously led the charge in the congress to stop an embarrassing moment for the GOP. He does not lack courage or moral fortitude, he is well tested.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

I think you mixed up your words. What you must have meant to say is that “He has tested and tested all the cars at the salvage yard and charged Georgians more than they should have had to pay because of his no-bid contract and made a forture WHILE getting paid by Americans as a Congressman.”

Deal. Real. Crook.

• Will Harrison says:

How did he “run back to Washington with his tail tucked between his legs”? Scott Brown won the Massachusetts Senate seat, and everyone thought ObamaCare was dead, and then Deal announced he was resigning to focus on his campaign for Governor. A few days after his announcement, numerous members of the House Progressive Caucus decided to pull a 180 and announce they would vote for the Senate-passed bill that they had previously opposed, and thus, Deal announced he would stay through the ObamaCare vote, which is exactly what he did.

12. Carpet Capital says:

I’m sorry but Mr. Deal served 18 years in the House. Please don’t confuse him with Handel who couldn’t complete one term as SoS. If you did any research at all you would know that Mr. Deal was chairman and then ranking member of the Health Subcommittee on the prestigious Energy and Commerce Committee. Please do not tell me that he did not make tough choices in those positions.

• Lady Thinker says:

I think he probably did make the tough choices to do what personally benefitted him rather than the voters.

• Will Harrison says:

I’ll give you an example, he authored and passed a provision into law that has allowed children with severe disabilities to receive care at their home instead of being forced to remain in an institution, which was the only option before Deal changed the law. And the law actually REDUCED the federal deficit because it saved more money than it spent.

Deal also was one of the three authors of Megan’s Law, a law that has protected countless numbers of children in this country from sexual predators.

I dare you to spin that into something bad.

• Mozart says:

Will, that is unfair and wrong. The Handel campaign does not have rebuttal points lined-up for LT to use to fight stuff like “co-authoring Megan’s Law”.

• Henry Waxman says:

Don’t forget about Deal co-authoring and passing into law a provision to help cancer patients navigate the complexities of the health care system in order to get the right care at the right time, which has helped save, improve, and lengthen the lives of numerous cancer patients.

That’s a tough one to find a negative spin for as well.

• Henry Waxman says:

Yeah, helping disabled kids receive care at home so they can have their families by the side and helping save the lives of people affected by cancer really doesn’t fit into the false image of Nathan Deal that Team Handel would like to create.

• John Konop says:

As a fiscal conservative I would like to know why Deal voted for Medicare part D, Highway Bill, Farm Bill, No Child Left Behind, Congressional pay raises…..

Why would anyone trust him with your tax dollars in the tough times we face?

• Mozart says:

John,

Go do the research to provide us with proof (via links to the Congressional record) that Deal did vote in favor of all those bills you mention. You assume he did because you assume every Republican did vote in favor. I don’t know that he did that. Prove he did, rather than make blanket statements that you do not know are 100% factual.

(Slam on me about Mark Foley coming from John Konop in 5……4…….3……2……. )

• Mozart says:

No, you made the statement. You provide the proof. I’m not “Googling” to get other people’s opinions on what they think Deal did. I’m asking for the proof straight from the horse’s mouth: the actual votes.

• Lady Thinker says:

John,

They are not interested in the truth, they are just interested in spreading lies.

• Doug Grammer says:

Mozart,

Congressman Deal voted for Medicare part D and NCLB. The farm bill and the highway bill are vague and many bills from different years that could be called that. I would guess that congressional pay raises were voted on as well.

Medicare part D squeaked through, but NCLB was widely supported by both parties.

Other than voting on a bill, I still haven’t seen proof that Foley and Deal were in the same room together.

John,

I will attempt to give you a good response on each of the four bills you mentioned. However, you are going to have to give me something more specific than the “Highway bill” and the “Energy bill.” Obviously, Congress has done more than one piece of legislation dealing with highways and energy in the past decade, and I can find numerous bills on both topics that Nathan Deal voted for and voted against.

Of course, if I go to the trouble of reading these bills and producing thoughtful analysis, I would expect you to follow up on my request to see if your candidate, Karen Handel, agrees with your assessment of the Medicare Modernization Act (Public Law 108-173) and – thus – would commit in writing to outlawing the programs created by this Act in the State of Georgia All she would have to do is prohibit any doctors and pharmacists licensed in Georgia from accepting payments from Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare Part D prescription drug plans. She would also have to support a law prohibiting any health insurance companies licensed in Georgia from offering a high-deductible, HSA-qualified plan.

Does Karen Handel want to outlaw HSA?

Does Karen Handel want to kick seniors off of their prescription drug plans?

Does Karen Handel want to kick seniors off of the Medicare Part C plans that they have chosen?

So, if you will look up the public law numbers for the specific “Highway bill” and the “Energy bill” you mentioned and get your candidate to give us a statement on her position regarding the implementation of the Medicare Modernization Act in Georgia, I will gladly post my thoughts and Deal’s votes on the four bills you mentioned.

• Mozart says:

Yes, she does, Henry! But, only the gay ones! Because those are the only ones that will earn her the most red-meat earned media to help her name ID.

• John Konop says:

Mozart,

As I posted before many people that “gay bash” do it because they are in the closet according to experts. If you are in the closet many of us will not judge as harshly as you may think if at all. Speaking for myself I could careless.

• John Konop says:

Henry Waxman,

First, I am not part of the Karen Handel campaign and the last time I saw anyone was at a PP happy hour party which other candidates and or staff attended. Second Medicare Part D was a federal bill that created 7 trillion dollars of future liabilities that no one can explain how this will not bankrupt our country. Third, Deal did vote for the energy, highway (famous bridges to nowhere bill) and farm bills when Bush was in office. And Deal did vote for No Child Left Behind which in any measure is a complete failure at tax payers’ expense. Finally the beer debate offer is still open.

• Henry Waxman says:

Medicare Part D did not create $7 trillion in future liabilities.

Then ENTIRE bill, which include the Part D drug benefit, the creation of Medicare Advantage, Health Savings Accounts, Medicaid changes, and several other major policy changes was projected to spend $394.3 billion over 10 years, and the official FY2009 HHS budget projections found the following:

“Through competition and
                      aggressive negotiating, Part D plans
                      once again produced greater than
                      expected savings in 2007. The
                      most recent estimates show that net
                      Part D costs are $244 billion lower
                      over the 2004-2013 period.”

Here is the source: http://dhhs.gov/budget/09budget/2009BudgetInBrief.pdf

• Henry Waxman says:

So, entire the Medicare Modernization Act was originally projected in 2003 to spend just under $400 billion over 10 years, but this projection was later LOWERED by $244 billion over this same 10 year budget window.

It seems the pessimists were dead wrong and the Republicans who believed in market forces and competition were correct.

• Henry Waxman says:

John, do you still think that Nathan Deal should have voted with Nancy Pelosi, Dennis Kucinich, and Barney Frank against the Medicare Modernization Act?

• John Konop says:

HW,

The number are worse than what I posted that is because the liability keeps growing.

From Senator Tom Coburn:

Major Findings:

• Medicare’s total unfunded liability through 2078 is $29.7 trillion, of which Part D accounts for $8.7 trillion
                      • Medicare’s 2005 unfunded liability alone is $126 billion
                      • The true cost of Part D was grossly underestimated — 10-year cost projections have doubled from $400B to over $800B
                      • With implementation of Part D, the federal government will own 60% of the drug market share
                      • Prior to passage of Part D, over 76% of all seniors already had access to drugs
                      • Part D supplants state Medicaid drug plans, shifting local costs to the federal government
                      • As is, Medicare is unsustainable and requires broad reforms with increased competition

• John Konop says:

HW,

Yes, the truth is without a combination of indexing and cuts and increases Medicare will wipe us out in less than 10 years. And the longer we wait to fix the problem the tougher the solution will be.

Putting interest aside the three areas that control the budget is Medicare, Social Security and Military. And without fixing the above 3 you cannot balance the budget. And this honest conversation needs to happen.

• John Konop says:

This article if Forbes is very good and all should read!

From Bruce Bartlett:

The 81% Tax Increase

To pay for government’s promises on Social Security and Medicare.

…The unfunded portion of Medicare part B is already covered by general revenues under current law. The present value of that is $37 trillion or 2.8% of GDP in perpetuity according to the trustees report (p. 111). The unfunded portion of Medicare part D, which was rammed into law by George W. Bush and a Republican Congress in 2003, is also covered by general revenues under current law and has a present value of $15.5 trillion or 1.2% of GDP forever (p. 127).

To summarize, we see that taxpayers are on the hook for Social Security and Medicare by these amounts: Social Security, 1.3% of GDP; Medicare part A, 2.8% of GDP; Medicare part B, 2.8% of GDP; and Medicare part D, 1.2% of GDP. This adds up to 8.1% of GDP. Thus federal income taxes for every taxpayer would have to rise by roughly 81% to pay all of the benefits promised by these programs under current law over and above the payroll tax…..

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

BS. The only thing Deal did in Congress was rename some post offices. Oh yeah, and make a FORTUNE off his official position and use his power to get and keep NO BID contracts with the State of Georgia.

• Henry Waxman says:

Go to thomas.loc.gov and read Public Law 109-171. The section you are looking for is “Expanded Access to Home and Community-Based Services.” Nathan Deal authored the section and inserted it via an amendment during the Energy and Commerce Committee markup of the bill. That is in the transcript as well.

Since you obviously are literate, I’m sure you’ll have no problem.

And before you make fun of Nathan Deal for naming a post office, I would like for you to know that he sponsored and passed a bill to name a post office after a one of his former interns (and a personal friend of mine) who died in combat in Iraq.

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn’t know that he named a post office after a fallen hero who Deal and I knew personally. However, you REALLY should do some basic research before you embarrass yourself further.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

I would NEVER belittle anything done for a fallen soldier. However, let’s look at this rationally and with an eye for what is best for the nation and it’s fallen soldiers.

There have been over 1,000,000 deaths in combat. Wikipedia puts the number of Post Offices in the nation at 32, 741. (The USPS operates 32,741 post offices and locations in the US. In August 2009 the Postal Regulatory Commission(PRC) put forward a preliminary list of about 1000 it is considering closing to save money.[20] )

My questions are simple. What does it cost to rename a post office? What do the other 970,000+ equally brave, equally valiant, equally worthy of recognition fallen soldiers do if they don’t have congressman buddy? And, finally, is it not a slap in the face to those that died without a personal relationship with a congressman to be ignored for this honor?

Let’s quit doing favors for friends and start representing ALL of the nation! That’s the problem in DC, favors for friends while no one is focused ONLY on the entire nation and it’s needs.

• Henry Waxman says:

It was a slap in the face of all of the fallen for Nathan Deal to sponsor legislation to honor one of the fallen who used to work for him and for him to speak about all of the great things troops like Noah were doing in Iraq??? There is something seriously wrong with you, friend.

• Henry Waxman says:

I would suggest that you ask the soldiers who served with Noah in Iraq who watched Deal speak on C-SPAN and ask Noah’s parents who traveled to DC to watch the resolution honoring their son be considered on the House floor if they thought the resolution was a “slap in the fact,” but I am afraid of what they would do to you.

• dj says:

Because if my son was killed in combat and I drove by my local PO, I would want to see him honored as well…what’s wrong with that? They all have families…

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

And I would suggest that you ask the families of all the OTHER soldiers that died how they feel about being ignored.

Congress is corrupt and DC is all about getting yours and your friends getting theirs while the country gets screwed.

The whole system is broken and Deal is a part of that pigs at a trough mentality. Apparently, you are as well. Thank God the TEA party movement is working to fix it.

• Hill Rat says:

The town of Ellijay, Georgia, wanted to name their post office after Noah Harris, and their Representative in Congress, Nathan Deal, introduced legislation to accomplish this goal. If other towns want to do the same, then they can do that.

I’ve read this whole thread, and I couldn’t disagree with your comments more.

• dj says:

Henry,
                  Maybe if the PO was renamed for a platoon, squadron, with a plaque that would honor all fallen military…similar to the wall in DC…would that not make sense?

• Hill Rat says:

That would make sense if you could name a post office or federal building after more than one person, but you cannot do that under the law.

• dj says:

So…maybe if we changed the law we could honor more of our fallen military personnel for their sacrifices for our freedom…

• Hill Rat says:

Those are called war memorials, and there are thousands of those. If a community wants to specifically recognize an outstanding individual (war hero, teacher, community leader), they can solicit to name their community post ofice that person. Ellijay chose Noah Harris and Congressman Nathan Deal made it happen.

• dj says:

Hill Rat, in lieu of defending your point, please consider the option of changing the law to spread the honor…what’s the harm in doing that? If not, maybe Nathan Deal can get a plaque at the PO in Elijay honoring the others. Can he “make that happen”…as well?

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

Could you give me the date of the election and the vote count where “the town of Ellijay wanted to name their post office…”

Perhaps you meant to say some influential people in the town that had their congressman’s ear.

• Despite everything that has been said about Deal here on PP, I’ve always heard he’s had the best constiuent service of any sitting Congressman in Ga.

• Henry Waxman says:

Deal’s constituent services is one of the main reasons I am such a fan. He really went above and beyond on clearing up a DoD/VA clerical error for my grandparents.

• Doug Grammer says:

Captian,

You are reaching. The next thing you know, you’ll be telling us how the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor; or how someone was out getting money with a pedophile.

• Hill Rat says:

“What does it cost to rename a post office”?

According to the Congressional Research Service, “The costs of dedicating a post office in the name of an individual are modest…The
                plaque, which is purchased locally at USPS expense running from $250 to $500.”

• In The Arena says:

He has a firm grasp on three of those characteristics regardless of what Karen Handel and crew tell you to think. Maybe if Handel had taken an introductory ethics course in college she would realize that to falsely accuse others of being unethical is unethical in and of itself.

• GOPwits says:

Dear Lord – Deal is misleading on his get rich scheme with the state through his salvage yard and no one with any integrity uses a term like Ghetto Grandmothers and justifies the use of the term in any context.

13. NorthGAGOP says:

Barnes get’s beat by everyone except Johnson. I am not sure how this shows any momentum for Deal.

14. SFrazier says:

He is the only candidate outside the margin of error. And he very close to 50% +1 which wins him the election. The others have a ways to go.. That is how..

• ByteMe says:

Written like someone who has a reading comprehension issue when it comes to polls and their true meaning. He has yet to show 50% + 1 for any poll for the primary. When he does that, then you have a good point. Until then, you’re just making stuff up to suit your own purposes.

• NorthGAGOP says:

“very close to 50%…” How does that apply to the primary? He needs to get in a run-off and the into the general for that to even matter.

All of the movement in the IA poll has been within margin of error, so I wouldn’t call that momentum.

• SFrazier says:

He is in 2nd place today, so he makes the primary. 6 weeks from now he will probably be in 1st place since the wind is at his back and is the only candidate with positive momentum. He will be there with Karen or Eric, Ox is about to implode. Most people, even on this blog, agree that if Nathan is in the run off he wins.

15. hannah says:

Rasmussen polling is like seeding the mine. Creating momentum is important for the fan segment of the electorate–the groupies who need to be part of a club, even if the club is made up of duds.

• TPNoGa says:

I work in higher education, and I mentioned today that I thought I would end up voting for Karen. My co-workers told me they would lose all respect for me if I voted for an uneducated person. One co-worker told me that Karen will be no friend of higher education, since she never bothered to go to college herself. People in education are well aware of her lack of education. I guess I am voting for Eric Johnson.

• analogkid says:

I agree with your coworkers, although I’m not sure about your conclusion to vote for EJ. My question to you is: How do you feel about school vouchers? I could probably look past EJ’s Glenn Richardson ethics complaint dismissal, but vouchers are a dealbreaker for me.

At this point, I’m almost certainly voting L or D for guv. I haven’t ruled out Chapman, but he’s going to have to make a move.

• TPNoGa says:

Ugh, I have never had such a difficult time deciding who to support in a primary. I am giving Mr. Monds serious consideration for the general.

I wasn’t living here during the Barnes years, but I think I recall he was pretty highly rated by the CATO institute. Am I remembering this correctly? If so, I will also give him a fair hearing.

• analogkid says:

A quick Google search yielded the following:

“Roy Barnes of Georgia may be the pre-eminent tax-cutting Democrat on the national scene. In his first year in office he pushed a Taxpayer Bill of Rights that has saved Georgia homeowners $350 million so far. He has also cut the unemployment insurance tax in Georgia, resulting in tax relief of over $1 billion to businesses and workers. He now wants to cut the state capital gains tax. When the recession hit, Mr. Barnes imposed a freeze on state hiring and made across-the-board cuts of 2.5% in the 2002 budget and 5% in the 2003 budget. No wonder Gov. Barnes is considered a potential presidential contender.”

Source: http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=5670

• Lady Thinker says:

I personally know of a Ph.D. at North Georgia College & State University who supports Karen. He realizes she does not have a degree but he feels she is more knowledgeable about what it takes to be a governor as well as a twenty year resume to back up her knowledge, skills, and abilities.

After researching her on many fronts, I have come to agree with him.

• ReaganRepublican says:

YOU MEAN THE RESUME THAT IS FULL OF LIES
            Someone gave an awesome critique earlier…

“She also put herself through as much college as she could afford before starting a career that would see her rise rapidly through corporate America (including CIBA Vision and accounting firm KPMG) and Republican politics.
            From a job at Hallmark Cards corporate offices in Washington, D.C., Karen was recruited to work in the Bush-Quayle White House, eventually becoming Deputy Chief of Staff. In that capacity, she managed office operations and spearheaded Mrs. Quayle’s breast cancer awareness and research campaign, which ultimately led to the founding of the Susan G. Komen Washington ‘Race for the Cure.’
            After the White House, Karen served as an executive with KPMG and later with CIBA Vision. ”
            ==============
            We need a Joe Wilson moment (“She lied”). She wasn’t an executive at KPMG, she was the marketing director for the ATL office. This was a do-nothing position that reported to the local managing partner. Without a college degree she wasn’t qualified to be a staff consultant, yet she claims she was an executive.
            She goes on to imply she was the Deputy Chief of Staff for the Bush/Quayle administration. She was the Deputy Chief of Staff for Mrs. Quayle.
            If she applied to any corporation and they caught her embellishing her resume like she does on her web site, she would never get a job offer. This says a lot about her lack of ethics. On the other hand, given her weak resume I guess we should give her a pass for lying.”

• John Konop says:

ReaganRepublican,

I have done business with KPMG and it is a highly respected accounting firm. The marketing director in my company is part of the executive staff, as well as other companies I worked at. It is a key position in most companies that drives revenue. It is rather insulting and naive of you to think that position is meaningless in a company. KPMG director position is very strong on any resume. I do not know if any of the candidates that held a job of that responsibility in the private sector. And I would bet stronger than anything you could put on your resume.

Finally like the Ray McBerry situation putting down executive leadership in fighting breast cancer will only alienate woman and independents. The irony of the way you use the bible like knife, spite in the eye of kindness and righteously yell at others about being a Christian and they are sinners.

• Lady Thinker says:

John,

I hadn’t thought of the angle you just presented to RR but you are right. The Susan B. Kolman Breast Cancer Foundation is a major thing and the trashing of Karen will turn these women off and if they have to choose between Karen and Deal, will choose Karen. As a cancer survivor, I am appreciative of all that has been done to eradicate this horrible disease. Thanks for posting that angle.

• Mozart says:

John,

RR wasn’t putting down the role KH played in the breast-cancer fight effort. You either have a reading problem in understanding what RR said OR you deliberately make-up a lie because you see that as your role on this blog.

All RR was doing was quoting an entire paragraph intact, and then taking parts of it, none of which were a slam on KH for her role in the breast cancer effort.

• TPNoGa says:

Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Karen. I like her and think she is a fine person. The issues I have with her are the lack of education and that she didn’t even serve a full term in statewide office. If she can get me past those two issues, I am more than willing to vote for her.

• Lady Thinker says:

I understand your point of view and maybe she can explain that issue. I am also glad you can agree to disagree and continue with intelligent posts. We need far more posters with the ability to do that.

• analogkid says:

LT:

I could point to PhDs who would never vote for Handel, but anecdotal evidence is not particularly useful. The bottom line is that her lack of a degree is a dealbreaker for me. It may not be for you (or even most Georgia voters), and that’s fine.

For me it has more to do with the national perception that Georgians are a bunch of uneducated rednecks. Fair or not, electing someone with only a HS degree when our state is 49th in education tells people outside Georgia that we still care more about football than education.

I think Karen has done well for herself, and I don’t think she’s stupid. However, I don’t think she’s an intellectual either. I also find it humorous that someone who repeatedly states that “government is not a jobs program” has repeatedly used government as a jobs program for herself.

16. Mozart says:

I haven’t seen on EJ’s literature where he is pushing for vouchers any longer. Charter schools, yes, I’ve heard him mention it several times. I think he has quietly discovered that vouchers are not a good route to take.

But, ultimately, he is ALL about improving the K-12 public education system in this state. And, I perceive him to be a person who would allow a lot of time for a thorough analysis of several options before attempting to implement anything.

Does Deal know anything about Georgia’s K-12? No, he’s spent all his time in D.C., and was a member of the party for a number of years in which our public school education was rendered into shambles.

Does Ox know? Doubt it.

Does Chapman know anything about how bad the K-12 is? I do not know.

Otis Putnam? Have no idea.

Karen Handel? I don’t think she has the street creds to address the K-12 issue.

Pretty much leaves EJ as the only one who understands the K-12 issue enough to improve it.

• analogkid says:

Mozart:

From EJ’s website:

“My plan is simple, but bold. Georgia spends an average of $10,500 per child in public school. About $5,000 of that comes from the state and about $5,000 comes from local property taxes. $500 comes from the federal government. I want to offer EarlyHOPE Scholarships to every single child in Georgia’s public schools. These scholarships would allow parents to use the state’s portion of the funding – their own money, by the way – toward any school they can get their child into – public or private, religious or secular. Every child would have access to the best school possible and private schools would remain independent. In addition, this will leave local funds in place to either return to property taxpayers or to increase spending on the remaining students in local public schools. It doesn’t cost the taxpayers a dime.”

Sounds like vouchers to me.