Cox will resign, Perdue to make appointment

The Governor’s office has released a statement on Kathy Cox, who will be resigning her office:

Governor Sonny Perdue issued the following statement today regarding State School Superintendent Kathy Cox’s announcement that she will become the founding CEO of the U.S. Education Delivery Institute (EDI) on July 1. Governor Perdue will appoint a new state school superintendent upon Supt. Cox’s departure, per Article 5, Section 2, Paragraph 8 of the Georgia Constitution.

Below is the Governor’s statement:

“Superintendent Cox has been a passionate advocate for Georgia’s students, committed to improving achievement for every child. She pushed strongly for a more rigorous curriculum, which is preparing our students to compete on the global stage. While we will miss her here in Georgia, I share her excitement in this new opportunity.”

Thanks to Thomas Wheatley for forwarding this along.

1. Mozart says:

Great. The person who could not “deliver” a suitable education program in Georgia is going to be placed in charge of something called the “US Education Delivery Institute.”

Maybe Sonny will appoint Joey Brush…you know, since he and Linda Schrenko were such good pals.

• polisavvy says:

Very funny post, Mozart. I agree with you. I certainly did not plan to vote for her. She has done little, if anything, to improve education in Georgia.

2. In The Arena says:

Perdue’s making another appointment? Which Karen Handel (or future Karen Handel) supporter knows the most about education?

• macho says:

I guess the implication of your statement is that Brian Kemp was appointed SOS, because he was a “Karen Handel supporter.” Interesting, I haven’t heard that one, even from the conspiracy theorists.

3. seekingtounderstand says:

The biggest story on education that no one is talking about. The kennesaw illegal student, whom I hope gets movie deal and gets rich, coverage in the AJC revealed that the Board of Regents and all the lawyers for the Regents and our colleges where told by Nathan Deal that they were breaking our federal and state laws by giving in state tuition to illegals. Fraud against taxpayers has got to stop and someone needs to be held accountable for letting us get ripped of for many years. Where is justice for the taxpayer?

• polisavvy says:

There is no justice for the taxpayers, didn’t you know that? We are supposed to get ripped off, ask no questions, and raise no valid points or issues. Get keep on taking it — that’s the American way, now.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

On the topic of education, where the hell did you learn to write? An East African “down on my luck” chain email? Holy crap, dude.

• macho says:

A movie about an illegal immigrant who gets an education in America at the taxpayers expense. Wow, the originality of that concept alone will bring in huge box office revenues.

4. John Konop says:

No one has been more I spoken than I about the short-comings of Kathy Cox in her job. The real focus should be on who will replace Kathy Cox and how they will repair the damage and improve the system. I hope Sonny will appoint a person based on their ability and not politics.

On a personal level I wish the best for Kathy Cox and her family.

• John Konop says:

No I did not; in fact I would have supported anyone but Kathy Cox for the job. This position should not be a political football; it should be about what is best for the students.

I am just thankful we have new hope. Yet with that said I sincerely hope the best for Kathy and her family. Anyone who knows me well will tell you I am very good about separating personal from business. This issue was never personal. It was about the kids!

• Game Fan says:

Well I don’t know much about Kathy Cox actually. She may be just a cog in the wheel. But myself and JK have been longtime critics of NCLB. So if someone really took on the “system” it would be a dirty nasty fight. IMHO the best solutions probably won’t come from DC or the lobbyists. But hey, I guess you gotta let them call the shots these days in order to get in line for the Obama bucks.

• polisavvy says:

I agree with you, John. I hope that the appointed person will be able to begin to “fix” education in Georgia. It is in desperate need of repair. Let’s hope that Sonny agrees with you. I, too, wish her and her family the best.

• Ramblinwreck says:

It will never be “fixed” as long as politicians control the “fix.” Therefore, it will never be fixed.

• polisavvy says:

LOL!! True; but, we can hope and pray, can’t we? Sorry for using the word “fix”; but, I don’t think repair is strong enough. It’s broken so it needs fixing (in my opinion).

5. I don’t think this really changes the facts. I believe John Barge is the most qualified person for the job in any party. He is not a politician, he is a lifelong educator who has served in the classroom and at the administrative level. He has fresh ideas that are from a common sense approach to education.

• polisavvy says:

Thanks for your opinion. It’s the same one I have. I have been reading about him and have decided that’s who I’m supporting, too. If ever we needed fresh ideas, it’s now. Something has to give and education has to improve dramatically. I’m glad my children are out of school now; but, I am concerned about the children attending today and for the future of education as a whole.

• iamnotasocialist says:

I don’t think that John Barge is the guy, but a concur with the idea that someone who should be in this position should be an educator him or herself, and should have served at various levels of education. I won’t reveal all of my cards, but suffice it to say that I support a Democrat.

• Jeff says:

I’m from Bartow, where John was once a teacher and is now the Curriculum Director. I’m checking into him right now – something smells, and I’ll keep digging until I find the source of the smell or clear the air.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

Jeff, I can’t figure out what your beef is. You are trying to imply to everyone on here that there is something nefarious about a man you have never even met, simply because you are from Bartow and don’t know him.

You pointed out that there was a gap from 1978-2004 in graduations in your family from Bartow County. That’s a sizable gap, and I’m sure you don’t know everyone in Cartersville. I believe the county population is nearing 100,000. If you know everyone, you must be some popular guy around there.

From what I have heard, Dr. Barge is from Floyd, spent some time as a teacher and administrator, went down to work under Kathy Cox at the state dept for a year, then got back into working in county schools, spending a brief time as a teacher to get back into it before making his way back in to administration. I don’t have all the details, because I don’t know him, but I know a few people who do know him. He’s been in his current job for around 4 years. If you really had any common sense, you would realize that this is very common among those who wind up down at the state DOE, that administrative jobs are very competitive, and that sometimes someone leaving a state job has to get a foot in the door by taking a teaching job and then keeping their eyes open for a promotion.

I think the only thing fishy is that you are trying to find a story that doesn’t exist in order to help Kira Willis. You are barking up the wrong tree. Just because you found something on Ray McBerry doesn’t mean that everyone you want to get rid of has a sordid past or is lying about their resume’ just because you can’t verify it. Regular people are often hard to track, but that isn’t any big deal.

I sure hope no one takes you seriously, because you seem to want to make a story out of things that don’t exist. Once you figure out there is nothing there, I expect you to say so on here instead of just leaving the innuendo out there that something is wrong just to help your candidate.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

By the way, Jeff, I have a lot of acquaintances in Bartow County that have been active in the community for over 15 years, and none of them have ever heard of you or your family.

Something smells here…

• Jeff says:

NGG:

There was only a gap for about a decade in involvement in Bartow County Schools – between when my dad graduated in 78 and when I started school in 88. (In fact, one of my dad’s HS teachers was my ES principal, and I wound up having at least one more of his teachers as one of my teachers during my K12 career.) I graduated in 2001, the ’78, ’04, and ’07 graduations were all from Cass High – I graduated from another school in the County (Adairsville).

I was specifically told by someone in a position to know that “all is not as it seems” with Barge – THAT is what put the smell in my nose. This person knew exactly who Barge was when I mentioned his name, and that is what I was told.

Like I said, I intend to dig until I find either skeletons or clean air, and I’ll report whichever I find.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I think someone fancies himself an investigative journalist.

Look, I would have voted for anyone but Kathy Cox, and had she won, I would have voted for Willis. But your insistence on finding dirt and dropping hints before you have any proof of anything substantial is very unprofessional and has made me think that anyone you support is not someone I can support. You are nothing more than a gossip-monger.

If you are wrong, are you prepared to publicly apologize for trying to imply there is something wrong here?

I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but I heard all 4 candidates speak at the 9th/11th picnic, and Barge was the most thorough. Hines and Cox are gone, so it is between Barge and Woods. Are you trying to dig up dirt on Woods too?

• Jeff says:

I’m telling you what I know at the moment. You have my word that I will publish the results of my investigation either way.

You’re just mad because the Bartow GOP is clearly lining up behind this guy – which is understandable, given he is the guy from Bartow – and you could get quite a bit of egg on your face if my investigation reveals anything.

I’ll just point out that the last time y’all got behind a guy this much, he didn’t even run for the office you were pushing him for. (Loudermilk for Speaker)

• Jeff says:

John,

Not denying that. But you can be perfectly knowledgeable about the issues and still be absolutely crazy in how you think they should be handled.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

No, sorry Jeff, that isn’t it.

I just hate to see someone dropping hints of something nefarious without any specifics that could be nothing. You are just trying to make a name for yourself, and using gossip to do it. You say you are a Christian; this kind of thing is just plain wrong unless you will just come out with what you are implying.

No one who supported Loudermilk for Speaker had egg on their faces when he didn’t run. He is an honorable man, and prayerfully considered whether it was the right thing to do or not. No one who wanted him to run is ashamed to have supported him.

No, I just can’t figure you out, because you seem to hate everyone and everything except for a small handful of people, and expend a tremendous amount of time and energy trying to dig things up on everyone else.

Like I said in an earlier thread, I’d rather see the whole state DOE shut down, so don’t make this about the locals lining up behind Barge. In any case, this is the last time I give any nonsensical thing you say on here any time at all, as I have a lot of work I need to get done.

• Jeff,

I am John’s campaign manager, I have known him for nearly 25 years. There is nothing crazy about how he wants to reform the State Department of Education. Feel free to dig, John is exactly what he appears to be. If you want let me know and I will be glad to meet with you personally. We have nothing to hide and we want to work hard to improve Georgia’s public school system.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

To all you thinking folks out there, do you see what I see?

“There was only a gap for about a decade in involvement in Bartow County Schools – between when my dad graduated in 78 and when I started school in 88. (In fact, one of my dad’s HS teachers was my ES principal, and I wound up having at least one more of his teachers as one of my teachers during my K12 career.) I graduated in 2001,”

Please tell me you are not a math teacher.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

Oops, my apologies, I thought you said you started high school in 1988, which would be terrible indeed.

In any case, I barely remember any of the teachers I had, let alone the rest of the teachers in the schools I attended, from Kindergarten through high school. I barely remember the names of my own high school teachers, and if I didn’t have them, I certainly have no reason to remember them, especially from a large high school I hope you will take Joel Thornton up on his offer and just publicly admit that you are trying to help Willis by attempting to dig up dirt based on an overinflated sense that you know everything about everyone in northwest Gergia.

• Mozart says:

Maybe Jeff repeated a lot of grades and that is why he is so well-acquainted with all the teachers’ names. 🙂

6. Bucky Plyler says:

Hey Gov. Perdue , appoint me ! Then I will do my best to dismantle the state Dept. of Ed…

7. Chris says:

I believe Brian Kemp is lobbying the Gubbiner for that job. He’s always wanted to be School Superintendent.

8. Technocrat says:

What a great time to appoint a slash and burn cost cutter who has zero interest in being elected.

At least 20% of staff could be fired immediately using somekind of legal nonrecourse ruse.

9. Three Jack says:

i say appoint john konop since he has been “the most outspoken” person against cocks (oops, cox).

10. Lady Thinker says:

I hope he appoints Roger Hines since he isn’t running for that post, and let the rest of the candidates fight it out.

• BuckheadConservative says:

Good luck. That would require Sonny to actually care about the primary process and exercise some restraint. He’s proven wholly inadequate at both.

• Mozart says:

Chances are Sonny will appoint some chick to the position. Someone who is as incompetent as Kathy Cox, but who has done some yeoman’s work for Sonny all these years.

• Lady Thinker says:

Some “chick” like a farm animal? Whose farm will the “chick” come from?

Are you trying to say he might appoint another woman? Like maybe Liberterian Kira Willis?

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I don’t think there is a chance at all of him doing that. In fact, of the three I am looking at (Barge, Woods, and Willis), I don’t think Perdue or the state board will like any of them.

Why? Because Governor Perdue remains committed to the Race to the Top grant proposal, and selling out our state’s right to say how we educate our children to the feds even more than they already have. When you look at the big picture, it isn’t even that much money from the feds to make it worth it, especially given the mandates that inevitably come with the carrot on the stick.

I look for him to appoint a caretaker who shares his zeal to participate in what amounts to No Child Left Behind on steroids when they are finished implementing it. The application Georgia submitted is over 200 pages, and involves tracking both public and private school students in a statewide database.

I don’t know if any of the Democrat candidates support Race to the Top, but I guess they probably have a decent chance of getting appointed if they like it.

• ByteMe says:

Because we’re doing such a bang-up job all on our own, right? Being ranked 47th means we’re “smarter than a 5th grader”, but only just slightly.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I agree with you, but the federal plan is to take it to an even higher level of micromanagement and dumbing down. Of course, you can’t get much lower than where we are now, but I have seen that because of federal mandates and managing everything that goes along with the strings that are attached to the funds, school systems have to hire employees dedicated to nothing but keeping the paperwork straight (so they can keep getting the money.)

I will say it again, I would rather have the whole state DOE shut down, but since that isn’t going to happen any time soon, we should at least cut the apron strings from the federal government.

• John Konop says:

ByteMe,

The truth is Kathy Cox was a cult member of the one size fit all No Child Left Behind failed education strategy. This plan was a develop by lobbyist selling air while getting tax payers money for it and politicians like Kathy Cox using for personal gain over what is best for the kids. As I predicted if she did not win she would end up working for a lobbyist firm selling another idea of the day on our dime.

• Lady Thinker says:

I think you are correct NorthGeorgiaGirl in your post. Georgia education is going nowhere fast with the NCLB.

I got my master’s nearly four years ago at North Georgia College in Dahlonega and the professors were lamenting what they perceived as students wanting a bachelors with no work on the student’s part. Many students took remedial English and Math because of low scores. That is unacceptable and shows our failure to teach the basics.

People, we have to say enough is enough and get education back on track. I think Barge has the best plan to do just that,

11. ZazaPachulia says:

The extremely successful Supt. from Kathy’s old school district is set to retire in about a week. Dr. John DeCotis is a name that should get a look (even though he probably won’t). Fayette County stands alone among big Georgia districts as the only one to meet AYP in all schools every year…

12. ricstewart says:

Although it would NEVER happen, it would be great to see Perdue cross party lines and appoint Dr. Barbara Christmas, who ran against Cox as a Democrat in 2002. But, of course, Perdue wants someone who will shut up, sit down, and take it instead of speaking up.

13. Jane says:

To late for some who is not an announced candidate to file for the office. We need a caretaker. Maybe a person who have taught at both the college and high school level and has tight GOP credentials. Maybe someone who is a Peachpundit contributor? Maybe Professor Kevin Harris?

14. Three Jack says:

i hope sonny will appoint himself to the position which all but guarantees the continued failure of public schools in georgia thus giving old farts like myself better job opps.

sonny for self appointed superintendent…let’s continue to dumb down georgia!

15. John Konop says:

On the positive sides from what I read all the candidates in all three parties support ending Math 123 and allowing students to get a vocational/tech school education over the current one size fit all failed system.

16. Icarus says:

We’ve been through this before, and I’ll go ahead and state for the record, I don’t think appointments should be made to clear primaries. Despite the 6 month “gap”, I still think the appointment needs to be a caretaker, and the election should proceed on a level playing field.

But, who am I kidding. Ain’t going to happen.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

But who would be Perdue’s choice? Both he and Kathy Cox are in favor of Race to the Top and the funding/strings that go with it. I believe both remaining Republican candidates are against it.

I won’t be surprised if he appoints someone different just to get the Race to the Top application re-submitted in the fall.

• John Konop says:

NGG,

Interesting point, but I think, Sonny will try to pick the candidate to run in the general. And I do think in fairness any Governor would do the same.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

JK,

You are probably right, but I don’t know which one he would choose, given the fact that he wants Georgia to get that money. Both his office and Cox’s office replied to me when I asked them to drop out of the running and out of national standards that it was voluntary and good for Georgia. Given that, I have no idea which way he will go.

17. Three Jack says:

i’m sure there is a law against this idea, but how about just leave the position open until the election. an empty office is better than cox and would save tens of thousands in salary…hell, let the lowest ranking admin asst take over and ga would be better off.