How Much Will Tuition Go Up?

The State Board Of Regents will approve a tuition hike tomorrow:

The State Board of Regents is scheduled to approve a tuition hike during its regular monthly meeting. Details on the increase and other budget changes will be released at the meeting for all 35 institutions that make up the University System of Georgia.

Freshmen at research institutions — such as the University of Georgia, Georgia Tech and Georgia State University — paid $3,035 in tuition per semester this past fall.

A double-digit increase is possible, considering what’s happened elsewhere. For example, some public colleges in Florida increased tuition by about 15 percent.

Georgia lawmakers cut more than $200 million from the colleges’ budgets for the 2011 fiscal year, which begins July 1. Lawmakers cut funding in most state departments to close a nearly $1 billion budget shortfall.

14 comments

  1. Jane says:

    Cut the departments that do not easily lead to a marketable skill or a job. Why do we need a women’s studies department or a Middle Eastern Studies department at GSU that was once run by a pro-palestine activists, let Emory do those things. Cut the salary of the over paid Prof’s and administrators. Cut sports that do not turn a profit. require all non-citizens to pay out of state tuition.

  2. Technocrat says:

    Since liberal arts degrees pay is ~~ half of scientific degrees, why not force more into science by adjusting HOPE payouts. Sure more scientists will dilute the national pay scale somewhat but doubling 5% to 10% is not significant as the other 90% can still wallow in their poverty and in ability to repay student loans due to their liberal arts choices.

    What good is having more graduate with BA from watered down schools where half cannot function in a future scientific society?

    • polisavvy says:

      Would you explain this a little more for me? I’m trying to figure out exactly what you are trying to say. Thanks!

      • polisavvy says:

        Meaning? I’m not trying to be rude or snipe — I’m just trying to understand what you guys are saying. This interests me. Thanks.

        • He’s basically saying that since degrees like Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering make more right out of school, that we should only give Hope to those rather than people pursuing degrees in fields such as Sociology, English, and History.

          And my contention is that, you’ll get some degree programs that try to transform social sciences – like History, Sociology, and Political Science and make them Science degrees.

  3. Technocrat says:

    China and India turn out quasi functional engineers in 2-3 years of intensive very specific study. Ga Tech would not consider them ENGINEERS but they do ok with a Real ENGINEER supervision.
    A TEAM engineering group usually accomplishes a safe economical project, not the best but good enough.
    China activates a new coal power plant every single week and has for year.

    It is foolish to lie to BA students that a degree [from a for profit school] is their salvation, when the usual outcome is just the albatross of a non dischargable student loan.

  4. Technocrat says:

    “A 2008 study by the nonprofit Strong American Schools found that nearly four out of five remedial [college] students had a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher.”
    “Students who need remedial classes are also more likely to drop out: Those taking any remedial reading, for example, had a 17 percent chance of completing a bachelor’s degree, according to 2004 Education Department data”.

    http://www.wsbtv.com/education/23513995/detail.html

Comments are closed.