Warning: The I-Team you see in your rearview mirror is indeed as close as they appear

FOX 5 – Atlanta is heavily promoting two in-depth reports that kick off Monday during their 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. broadcasts with the results of an investigation from reporter Dale Russell (website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn). Russell’s investigation examines how a planned GDOT project was laid out in relation to the land belonging to a certain squishy sitting Georgia Governor. The twelve minute report, broken into two parts, is a result of a three month long review of thousands of pages of GDOT and Federal Highway project files, Houston County deed and tax records, campaign reports, historic land documents, and interviews with dozens of sources and after being “on the ground” for nearly a week in Bonaire.

As they say, tune in tomorrow night for more…

1. fishtail says:

After this story runs, we may all understand why Sonny may not be able to go back home to Bonaire in January. He screwed all his hometown folks in order to enrich himself. Bidness as usual for this greedy goober.

2. AubieTurtle says:

Wonder if this is the “big story” that rumors have been swirling about for the past couple of weeks.

From the sounds of it, it is a complex series of deals which means the public will be confused and not really care.

fishtail, Sonny has brought plenty of aquatic and equine pork to the Greater Bonaire Metropolitan Area. It might be enough to keep him and the gentry in the good graces of the common folk.

• fishtail says:

Aubie…you are right about Sonny bringing home the bacon to a select few in his hometown. Maybe now they’ve scammed the taxpayers enough so they can all move into Georgia’s first trailer park gated- community .

• Henry Waxman says:

But, hey, let’s all vote for his former Deputy Chief of Staff and hand-picked successor, Karen Handel. That seems real smart-like.

• fishtail says:

This Bonaire DOT scam was quarterbacked by then-DOT Commissioner Gena Evans. Wonder if she will be interviewed by FOX 5? By the way, where is she these days?

3. Progressive Dem says:

Say what you will about Tom Murphy, Ellis Arnall, Lester Maddox, Jimmy Carter, Carl Sanders, George Busbee, Joe Frank Harris, Zell Miller or Roy Barnes, but they were pretty scandal free. We know Richardson was dirty and Sonny seems to be too close for comfort.

• Yup, definitely need to revamp how we teach Georgia History in the state of Georgia.

I never thought I’d see the day a person self described as a “Progressive Democrat” would invoke the name of Lester Maddox.

I suppose Ole Gene and Herman didn’t really have scandals either did they?

• Progressive Dem says:

The Talmadges weren’t listed because they were corrupt. Maddox was a racist, but he didn’t enrich himself while he was in office.

• I think to call Lester a racist is very questionable, and shows a complete lack of understanding of most of his basic positions. Racist tendencies, sure – but an outright racist I can’t jive with.

So now the standard is “corrupt and self-enriching” rather than scandals. Glad you clarified. How in the world do you justify Barnes being on that list? He didn’t earn the nickname “King Roy” because of some crown he picked up at Burger King.

• ByteMe says:

What was the scandal then? I was here, don’t recall anything other than being a bit autocratic and going against the wishes of some noisy people. How exactly did Roy enrich himself or get some strange while in office?

• I believe he fits into the category of corrupt quite easily. Progressive laid out a two prong analysis, I’m just going for the easiest one here – honestly. I can point you to some appointments made by Governor Barnes that were made with a lack of judgement and were made simply to pay someone off for throwing a fundraiser. For instance, Lawton Douglas here in Dodge County.

• ByteMe says:

That’s it? He gave appointed a major fundraiser from his campaign to some position in government? How exactly did that benefit his own bank account?

And you still vote Republican?? You’d have to be in the LP to complain about that kind of behavior, since that’s about the only team where that doesn’t happen. 😉

• I said it benefited his bank account? Where’d I do that. I said Barnes was corrupt and has poor judgement. Prog is the one who’s narrowly-tailored the word “scandal” to mean only self-enriching acts by a Governor – not me. I personally think the flag mess fits the traditional construction of the word scandal, but I’m not the one laying out criteria here. Especially when you start looking at this story, and see how scant it is as opposed to what the lead in suggests – if this qualifies as a scandal, I’m sure Barnes used a fly-swatter at some point that caused a hurricane three years later.

And you might be surprised how I vote, considering I’ve pulled the lever for more Democrats than Republicans.

• Progressive Dem says:

You can apologize for and defend someone who after passage of the Civil Rights Act filed a lawsuit challenging it so he could continue to refuse to serve meals to people because of the color of their skin. I won’t. That’s well beyond “tendancies”. If you have a scandal involving Barnes enriching himself while in office, go ahead and make it.

• The lawsuit was about whether or not the federal government could force him to integrate or not. You know, the entire issue with healthcare reform? While I think that the prohibition of certain customers based on the color of their skin is abhorrent and trends a person toward being a racist, I also see that people can change. I also see where Lester hired more African American workers as Governor than anyone before him – but I suppose that’s somehow racist too? I didn’t realize that being a racist was a life-long endearing term. Aren’t you of the party that tries to tell us that people can change, things can change, and that everyone can coexist? Isn’t being a racist and Governor a scandalous activity? Doesn’t Lester’s actions on a New York program, to which Randy Newman wrote a song about, constitute scandalous activity? You keep changing what qualifies as a scandal, I’m not sure what we consider a scandal anymore.

I remind you, I did not cite Lester as a good example of anything – that was all you. I could have cited better examples, like Walter F. George or Richard B. Russell. I’m not quite sure why you even left off Eugene with your shifting criteria, most of his self-enrichment came from him being Ag Com.

• Progressive Dem says:

You’ve said nothing to refute my oringinal post, agreed to a qualified extent that Maddox was a racist, haven’t laid a glove on Barnes, and thrown around a lot of extraneous questions. If you have a point to make; do it, but I’m not going to make your case by supplying answers to a cross examination.

• Trying to figure out what qualifies as a scandal and corruption to you is like nailing Jello to a wall.

I’m more than willing to give you Richardson, I’d throw him under the bus if you didn’t. But I’m not willing to jump on the bus of Perdue, as you described, “being too close for comfort.” I’ll watch the second half of the I-Team’s feature, and then make up my mind about this matter. From the first segment, it doesn’t seem like they have anything. Especially considering one of the alternatives they shown would have led to him getting more money, rather than the road just cutting through the corner of his land.

• ByteMe says:

So the part where Perdue got a personal $100K tax break through surreptitious means a few years back doesn’t qualify as a scandal, but the flag thing for Barnes, now there’s a scandal!

• Oh no. I think that qualifies as a scandal. I think Go Fish and the Horse Project also qualify as questionable actions.

Don’t confuse me working in the confines I am given – that is “Perdue being too close for comfort” as he was described as being my own thoughts. I’m not Sonny’s biggest fan by any means. I’d likely call more things a scandal than either of you two would apparently.

• ByteMe says:

I consider a politician enriching himself or taking the power of office to benefit himself as a scandal. I consider a politician not doing what I want to be typical (especially in Georgia where the legislature is very similar to the Palestinians in never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity).

4. In The Arena says:

If Karen wins the primary, our best case scenario is 4 more years of Shady Sonny. Our most likely scenario if she wins the primary is 4 more years of Roy. We need to learn from our mistakes.

5. Bill30097 says:

They need to examine the I85-316 interchange boondoggle where millions were wasted. GDOT is either incompetent or crooked or both. I lean towards stupid after seeing those moronic stop lights at I85 on ramps which slow entering traffic when that traffic should be able to build up speed to merge safely. I hope the next governor cleans house at GDOT – Georgia Dummies Of Transportation.