Suggestion to McBerry: Put Georgia First

Below is a guest post from Ronald Daniels, cross posted from his personal blog.

Ray McBerry has long run on a platform of “Georgia First”, in fact that is the name of his website. However in his campaign for Governor, McBerry has neglected to do one thing – put Georgia first.

For months there has been talk of McBerry having had an inappropriate relationship with a teenage girl – from blogs to the Atlanta-Journal Constitution, the story has made the rounds. He remains innocent until proven guilty of course. For now consider these stories allegations – because that is what the stories are. Allegations of misconduct. Unlike a normal rumor these allegations are somewhat more substantial, being covered by major news sources in Georgia.

But they remain allegations – and here is where the problem starts. Georgia is last in education, under Civil Rights voting laws, in rough economic shape, and a plethora of other problems. What we need right now is a Governor who is willing to work. What we do not need is a cloud hanging over the Governor’s head – these allegations would be that cloud. We do not need the national attention about a Governor who possibly had an inappropriate relationship with a minor. If Ray McBerry truly wanted to put Georgia first, he would drop out. Let me make this expressly clear: regardless of the validity of these allegations, they cast a cloud that we do not need hovering over the Governor’s office. Unless McBerry can clear his name imediately beyond a reasonable doubt, he should drop out. Not for the Georgia GOP, but for Georgia herself. McBerry needs to do as he claims he will do, and put this great and glorious state first.

But McBerry has never been serious about putting Georgia first. While that is his rhetoric and campaign slogan, even his nuanced debating style reveals that he puts McBerry first. Listen to any of his speeches and you hear one common phrase, “Ray McBerry is . . .” “Ray McBerry wants . .” Ray speaks of himself in the third person, showing that he puts himself before others. The whole campaign is about McBerry and not about Georgia. McBerry puts McBerry first.

I think anyone who wants to run for an office should do so. I think the marketplace of ideas is better facilitated when there are more actors with varying ideas. But Ray McBerry needs to step down for the betterment of Georgia. We do not need an alleged child molester running for the highest office in Georgia. Either unequivocally provide evidence that these allegations are false and clear your name fully, or drop out. This is not about you, Ray McBerry. This is not about the Republican Party, Ray McBerry. This is about the Peach State, beautiful Georgia – and you are certainly not putting Georgia first.

• Provocateur says:

Because he might be on the ballot in November of 2042? Plan for your elections early!

1. polisavvy says:

Perfect post!! I think it’s time not only that he drops out of the race; but, we need to quit giving him the time of day. Each post that I, or any of you make, is only going to feed his ego — even all the bad stuff that is said about him is giving him attention. That’s what this is all about — attention. Ray McBerry is not right for Georgia. As you so eloquently stated — it’s all about Ray McBerry. Let’s show him what we really think about him and cease and desist from giving him any future food for his attention deprived ego. Unless something important breaks on Ray McBerry (like an admission to an inappropriate relationship), I will no longer post anything else about him. (I’ll be reading; but, I won’t engage and I wish others would do the same). These are just my opinions, of course.

• Ambernappe says:

And doesn’t it have a familiar ring – like the repetition from another candidate, “…and the John Oxendine administration will………”

EXACTLY WHAT are the real differences. Why did The OX end his law practice. What would have made the Insurance Commission more lucrative !

2. Old Vet says:

Speaking of coming clean, I don’t think I’d vote for any candidate for Governor who refused to release his or her tax returns.

3. DonnaC says:

This is an awful situation for everyone involved and certainly no laughing matter.

Two things jump out at me from this post, first being the line about being “covered by major news sources.” Of course they’re covering it–it salacious and they don’t have the desire or will to do any real investigative work. Secondly, how could he ever “clear his name immediately?” It seems this is really a “he says, she says” thing; and, it’s impossible for the public to make a judgment when there are so few facts actually out in the open. So far there appears to be some circumstantial evidence, where he certainly placed himself in situations that could have led to a bad ending. That being said, having been on grand juries many times, I, for one, really hesitate to run the risk of ruining someone’s life, forever, by jumping to conclusions when there’s no real evidence or corroboration. I have seen way too many cases of these things turning out to be a vendetta.

Honestly, if I were him, I would drop out. I would not put myself, my family and friends through this; but, perhaps, he is truly innocent and is much braver than I would be under similar circumstances. He is and was not my first choice; but if he had been, I would have to think long and hard about kicking him to the curb based on this story. It’s just too difficult to sort out… And, there’s nothing funny about it, either for him and his family or the young woman and her family.

4. benevolus says:

I can’t agree.
    If candidates started dropping out every time some teenager accused them of something, it’s giving way too much control to teenagers. Besides, he’s not really hurting Georgia at all right now. If he were to start polling such that there was a danger that he might get the nomination, I would expect the GaGOP to swing into action, much like the Dems did with Mary Norwood.

By the way, does the GaGOP have a position on secession?

• It should not be up to the GAGOP to do anything. For someone running on a platform of “Georgia First”, it should be a free action. McBerry does not care about Georgia nor putting Georgia first. He’s in this election for himself, in my opinion, and his failure to drop out only affirms that suspicion in my mind.

I do not advocate anyone to simply drop out when a teenager makes an allegation – but this is more than a mere rumor. This is not the elusive “Cagle Office Incident” – this is a cloud we do not want hanging over the Governor’s Mansion. What makes it so clear that McBerry ought to drop out is his own message – Georgia First. If he is going to run on that platform, he needs to adhere to his own platform – put Georgia first.

• benevolus says:

I don’t think he means “Georgia first” the same way you do. He means it as in “Georgia first to secede”.

5. bella says:

Rugby, you should care because the allegations stem from 1993-2010. Not the STORIES, the allegations. The man has been up to his nonsense with young girls for over 17 years! And because I know one of them, and witnessed his interaction with her when she was 16 – that is why I care.

6. Jawgadude says:

McBerry has succeeded in getting all of the Facebook pages that were making fun of him pulled.

7. Lady Thinker says:

Edmund Burke is believed to have said, “All that is necessary for evil to triump is for good men to do nothing.”

• Will Harrison says:

I could really do without the mental image of Karen Handel with a set of testicles in her Spanx.

Could we all agree to make this the last post about Karen’s hermaphroditic qualities?

• Bill30097 says:

Handel ha [email protected]????? Are you forgetting that when Commisar Eric “The best friend Al Qaeda has” told her to stop verifying the citizenship of new voters she kowtowed faster than Obowma bowing to the Saudi King or Red Chinese leader.

• Lady Thinker says:

No she didn’t, she took the problem to court. Karen doesn’t back down from anyone and as usual, she took the lead and the heat in this disgrace as she has done in other similar issues in which she has been successful.

From Karen’s website:

Karen believes that the United States and
          Georgia should be welcoming and hospitable to those who seek to come to our shores legally. Those who come by other means are, by definition, beginning their lives in our country and state by breaking our laws. While she believes that primary responsibility for protecting our borders lies with the federal government, she is well aware that they are systematically failing to live up to that responsibility, and that states must step in to fill the void left by federal inaction and incompetence.

Karen has been leading the fight to ensure that only United States citizens are allowed to vote in our elections. She has been fighting the Obama Justice Department to implement a citizenship check for voter registration. Without these protections, Karen believes that groups like ACORN will actively register illegal immigrants and get them to the polls on Election Day.

As Secretary of State, Karen implemented the “SAVE” program to verify the work visa status of all new applicants for professional licenses who are not U.S. citizens. SAVE, which stands for Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlement Program is a federal database that helps us ensure that applicants who are not legally eligible to work in the United States will be denied licensure.

• benevolus says:

ACORN or anybody else cannot “register” voters. They can only submit applications… to the SOS office… for verification of eligibility.

This is all just a poll-tested scare tactic to make people be afraid of people who don’t look like themselves.

8. Jane says:

The quality of a man is how much he selflessly does for his cause. When he becomes a hinderance to the things he claims to support, he must step aside. If he continues to bring harm to those things he claims to support he runs the risk of being called arrogant focus of a cult of personality or worse an agent provocateur bend on destroying the movement that he once lead. Ray McBerry like Ralph Reed is destroying the credibility of his cause.

9. bowersville says:

The old childhood playground taunt (spell out KISSING)

Ray and the prom queen sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

As long as this is going on, the other campaigns have the alarm set on snooze, waiting hopefully to wake up to a McBerryless day. Oh well, daylight’s burning.

Hey Homer_heritic, how are you?

10. Rick Day says:

OK let me get this straight, Ic…

Someone makes some allegations, albeit unfounded.Allegations involve either teens or heroin or both, which is bad PR no matter how you slice it.

And because these allegations are made, the prudent thing for any candidate accused of any allegation is to resign?

Is it really that easy to do away with an opponent?

11. Doug Grammer says:

I am a big proponent of innocent until proven guilty. Somewhere, at least once in my life, I have been accused of things that I did not do.

The difference is that I did not respond by a seven page handwritten letter using the words apology, sorry, and friends over and over.

What seems to be undisputed is that Ray continued to keep contact with this young girls after her parents said “stop.” This appears to be a case of “he said” v. “her and her family said.” I give full credit to Mr. McBerry that he was not convicted of a crime, but average people on the street question his father being a DA on that status.

Unsubstantiated allegations should not be tolerated. In this case there seems to be some substance: restraining order, handwritten letter, cell phone, and suspension of license. I don’t give the suspension of license much weight, because that could be normal course for any investigation of improper relations. The average person on the street will ask what this young lady and her family have to gain from speaking up.

I don’t care for anyone being unfairly accused and if there any McBerry supporters who could address these concerns, I, and the voters of Georgia, would like to see the cloud lifted from this campaign.

12. B Balz says:

” … Somewhere, at least once in my life, I have …been accused of things that I did not do…. seems to be undisputed… if there any McBerry supporters who could address these concerns, I, and the voters of Georgia, would like to see the cloud lifted from this campaign”

I just cannot make this dooky up….Stop trying to help.

13. Game Fan says:

You guys are a real piece of work. And let’s not pretend that you’re for “Ga first” all the sudden, nkay? Those who were against McBerry before the allegations are still against McBerry. Now sure, nobody wants to see kids being victimized. So maybe they’ll come out with something solid real soon, or not.

• I’d like for you to show me where I was against McBerry prior to these allegations. While I admit I supported Austin Scott, I never suggested that McBerry was anything more than a candidate in a field of other candidates. Perhaps maybe that his polling numbers are low, which is a fact.

I am, after all, the author.

• Doug Deal says:

I have to agree with RD. I have been against Mcberry the moment I found out he was a secessionist and his followers were nutcase kool-aid drinkers. I have spoken to Ronald Daniels many times before the stories of his molestation charges came out, and he did not share my strong dislike of McBerry and was nothing more than an Austin Scott supporter.

• Game Fan says:

Still, those who were against McBerry before are against him now, with this latest issue (which may or may not be true) I was referring to this “chorus of unity” of “McBerry should withdraw” over this latest deal when some of the folks have been against him ideologically to begin with. But if this scandal really is your litmus test then, let’s apply the sex thing evenly across the board for all Georgia politicians. Each scandal could be graded on a scale from one to ten for entertainment value and it’s degree of severity. I’m good with that.

• I will gladly apply this “litmus test” to every candidate running. If you note, I’ve even suggested Cagle not run or someone primary him.

The fact remains McBerry is running on a platform of putting Georgia first, and his actions are not in congruence with that principle.

14. debbie0040 says:

Doug, from what I have been told by one of Ray’s former students, Ray started dating his first wife when she was 16 and married her 5 years later. There is a pattern in Ray’s case. It seems he is hung up on 16 year olds. Is 16 the age of consent in Georgia? I wonder if he really prefers younger girls but knows full well what the legal ramifications would be.

I don’t believe Ray for a minute. He keeps saying he was found innocent and the judge dismissed the case because of lack of evidence. The case was dismissed the case because the girl and her parents did not show up for trial. Ray’s father was at the time and is a chief prosecutor in the Henry County District Attorney’s office. The girl’s parents might have thought the cards were stacked against them and did not want to subject their daughter to being dragged through the mud. If you lie about the little things, then you will lie about the big things.
    Ray could settle this by taking a lie detector test.
    Ray threatens to file lawsuits in November against those that have reported the story. That is bullsh**. Why wait until November? I believe it is a stalling tactic on Ray’s part. He is a public figure and he faces a much higher threshold at proving slander of libel. He would be wasting his time.

Ray tried to put the blame by saying that the the girl had issues with the step father and he was trying to help her. If she really had issues with her step father, then surely they would have surfaced after all this time? They have not and I believe Ray was lying. Read the letter Ray wrote to the girls parents and his totally ridiculous explanation. Ray’s own letter condemns him.

The girl’s Mom has cancer and is undergoing Chemo but she is adding more aggrevation to her already stressful life by bringing the situation public and the girl publicly admitted in a tv interview that they had sex. They knew they would be attacked and ridiculed but they still bought it to light. That does not sound like the actions of people that are making things up. That sounds like the action of people that are geniunely concerned that Ray could become Governor and are trying to bring Ray’s “past sins” to public attention. They are trying to make him accountable for stalking their daughter and having an inappropriate relationship with her. Think of how you would feel if you were a parent and Ray had done that to your daughter. Think logically about all the facts surrounding the case and you will come only to one conclusion and that is Ray did have an inappropriate relationship with that girl and maybe others..

For the record, I believe in state’s rights but would never support secession. I believe in the preservation of the Union.

• Lady Thinker says:

The problem, Debbie, is you are thinking rationally for the good of the people, he is consistently thinks selfishly with the same head that makes his decisions with 16-year-olds. McPerv won’t step down unless it benefits him in some way.

By the way, I like your common sense posts.

15. Mama Bear says:

All I know is it sure didn’t look too good last night when Mr. McScary walked into the Statesboro high school flanked by a girl that looked to be about 16. No lie.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

One of his campaign staffers is a young girl…I believe she calls herself Apacheangel online. She is very fierce in her defense of McBerry.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I don’t think so…maybe college age, if it is the same one I am thinking of.

• Jeff says:

Naomi C Brown, aka ApacheAngel is, I believe, early to mid 20s. She gave Ray $1200 on March 8, days before he sent the email that started this whole investigation, while listing her occupation as “student”. I don’t know about y’all, but even living with my parents in college (as Naomi is doing), I didn’t just have $1200 laying around to give to ANYONE, no matter how worthy I deemed their cause.

All told, Naomi, her parents, or her sister (Alan, Lydia, and Cyndi Brown) have given Ray nearly $8500 since Halloween 2009, with Alan’s occupation listed as “information technology” at IBM, Lydia’s listed as “program manager” at “extension office”, and Cyndi listed as a homemaker.

Naomi is also his “regional director” for Northwest Georgia.

• Jeff says:

Oh, and I don’t know if this makes any difference, but per this site (which appears to be official), Lydia Brown is NOT a “program manager“, but a “program assistant“. The two could be interchangeable in practice, all I am noting here is that the exact words on paper do not match.

Basic Google on “Lydia Brown Extension Office” there – that page was literally the second result on my screen.

• Doug Grammer says:

Say what you like about the Brown’s choice of candidate but they are good, hard working people.

16. Tireless says:

A reasonable person with all the baggage carried by McBerry would drop out. Let’s see if McBerry is reasonable.

I would also like to see Handel stop playing judge, jury and executioner. Who exactly elected her to be “Queen of the Primaries”? She wants to be the Governor with that attitude?

17. Romegaguy says:

interesting note… one of McCreepy’s 2300 [snicker] supporters that lives me took McCreepy’s sign down out of his yard this week.

• Romegaguy says:

should read “lives near me”. typing and drink dont mix unless you are Icarus

18. Will Harrison says:

I guess Megan’s Law is the main reason that Ray wants to nullify all federal laws.

19. debbie0040 says:

FreedomWorks Presents YOU DECIDE 2010 DEBATES
    Start Time: Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 5:30pm
    End Time: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 11:30pm
    Location: Gwinnett Civic Center Sugarloaf Parkway Duluth, Georgia

Description.Debates featuring candidates for Georgia Governor and United States Congress 7th District (to replace retiring Congressman John Linder.)

Confirmed candidates for Governor include: Eric Johnson, Karen Handel, Nathan Deal, John Oxendine.

Confirmed candidates for United State Congress include: Clay Cox, Rob Woodall, Chuck Efstration, Jef Fincher.

The event is FREE to the public. Please invite your friends and neighbors and get involved in deciding the future of our State and Nation.

For more information contact: Julianne Thompson at [email protected]

• Provocateur says:

Start Time: Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 5:30pm
      End Time: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 11:30pm

These debates are going to go on in marathon style from Saturday through Thursday?