GriftDrift For House? Updated

May 7, 2010 20:59 pm

by Icarus · 28 comments

I haven’t talked to him, but since we consider tweets the gospel of truth in this medium, our good friend (well, most of ours good friend) James Williams, a/k/a GriftDrift, has indicated a potential House run.

The Tweet:

I’m in the middle of Mississippi but let it be known I’m considering a run for Ga House District 82

I like Grift. I think he would be an awesome addition to the Georgia House. I’m hoping he’s serious. And that he knows he’ll have to run as an independent, so signatures are a must. According to the AJC, there is another option I was not aware of to get on the ballot. The Libertarian Party has held its convention but still has time to submit their slate of canddiates to the state. If they are so inclined and their party rules allow for a method to select a candidate post-convention, then a Libertarian may possibly be put on the ballot.

H/T Thomas Wheatley at CL.

Lady Thinker May 7, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Will we have to drink his brand of beer?

John Konop May 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I agree, Grift should run!

Lady Thinker May 7, 2010 at 10:05 pm

We could celebrate his win with iced tea, the Long Island kind.

Tyler May 7, 2010 at 10:15 pm

James,

I support you 100%. It’d be awesome to see you in the Georgia Legislature. Toss a few back and think about it. I know you’ll make the right decision. Go for it!

KempforAg May 7, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Hope he does better then the last peach pundit ticket

Game Fan May 7, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Grift
What’s your position on involuntary microchip implants? But seriously, I’m sure it’s difficult for the successful politician to have well-defined positions and opinions on literally dozens of issues, so, if you need some coaching… :)

B Balz May 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm

“Relax, Have a Home Brew!”

bowersville May 8, 2010 at 8:50 am

Relax?

There’s no time for that, Grift has to prepare himself for the tuff stuff and questions. Pop test.

Grift, what’s the journalistic standard for bloggers?

Good luck, go for it.

Game Fan May 9, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Journalistic standards?

Here goes:
(same goes for politicians)

You cannot and will not say whatever you really think or know, that is, if it goes against your corporate sponsors, that is, if you think or know something outside of what you’re supposed to think or know. In other words, boring is good and obedience is almost a prerequisite.

macho May 8, 2010 at 9:17 am

Looks like there will be a keg of beer next to the Krispy Kremes in the cloak room.

Doug Deal May 8, 2010 at 9:34 am

I will help him get on the ballot, sign me up.

Doug Grammer May 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I think the ajc is wrong. (That never happens.)

7. After the Annual Convention, only during reapportionment/general election years, the Executive Committee shall have the power to nominate and select candidates for non-statewide, non-countywide public offices, the constituencies of which were not geographically defined as of the date of the Annual Convention.

I think the signitures would still be needed even it were OK to have them run as a member of the third biggest party of Georgia, (not counting the independents.)

Daniel N. Adams May 10, 2010 at 8:02 am

Doug,

The requirement to collect the signatures is always the case, regardless if we nominate or not… except for the state-wide races. The Libertarian party of Georgia only has ballot access (no signatures requirement) for state wide partisan races(we earned this and have been able to maintain it), any non-partisan and special elections only. All other partisan races, we have to get 5% of the registered voters from the district that the candidate would be representing when elected, regardless if endorsed or nominated by the party.

btw, this all changes when John Monds gets 20% in November… at which time Libertarians will no longer be second class citizens and will be treated equally to the dems’s and repub’s.

Doug Grammer May 10, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I’ll bet you a steak dinner at Ruth Chris steakhouse it will be closer to 2% than 20% for Mr. Monds. The comment was implied that it was not too late to augment the results of the convention because the results and not been turned in yet. I disagree, regardless of signature requirements.

rugby May 11, 2010 at 8:34 am

Ask Debbie how successfully steak dinner bets on Peach Pundit get repaid.

Romegaguy May 11, 2010 at 8:43 am

where is that welcher?

rugby May 11, 2010 at 8:54 am

Early-early bird special at her local steakhouse.

Romegaguy May 11, 2010 at 11:59 am

bet they dont serve steak at her tea parties

Game Fan May 10, 2010 at 7:25 am

Grift and Jason
Sittin’ in a tree
b-l-o-g-g-i-n-g

Chris May 10, 2010 at 8:40 am

Actually, I think it would be interesting to see Buzz and Grift both serving together in the House.

Buzz Brockway May 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm

We could form the first ever House Blogger’s Caucus, hold meetings and make our demands.

Lady Thinker May 11, 2010 at 3:45 am

I could go with that format.

benevolus May 11, 2010 at 7:37 am

You won’t need committee meetings anymore. Just blog it.

GA HOR Blog

Tpoic 1: HR213a- To periodically replace the carpeting at all state owned facilities on a regular rotating basis.
AngryVoter: Outrageous! It’s my money and I’ll say when they need new carpet!
The Punisher: That carpet is probably made in China. From petroleum byproducts.
EvilEye: Let me guess, the author of this bill is in the carpet business.
CheifAssistantToTheAssistantChief: This bill is necessary. There is currently no mechanism to replace that carpet so right now it happens behind closed doors. And the cost is swept under the rug. So to speak.
SamAdams: We didn’t need no stinkin’ carpet back in my day!
RebelYell: Throw them all out!
Host: This bill now moves to the floor for a vote.

David Staples May 11, 2010 at 8:48 am

That’s awesome.

ByteMe May 11, 2010 at 9:50 am

polisavvy May 11, 2010 at 9:57 am

Funny stuff, benevolus.

Doug Grammer May 11, 2010 at 11:10 am

+ a roll of carpet

Mad Dog May 10, 2010 at 11:24 am

Good luck, Grift.

Comments on this entry are closed.