Echols announces for PSC Seat

Somehow in all the drunken debachury that was Sine Die, the Peach Pundit Road Show, Tyler’s promotion from intern and the revealation from McPedobeary’s victim, we missed the latest Ox news:

Thursday, Tim Echols, John Oxendine’s Senior Policy Advisor, announced his candidacy for the Athens-area Public Service Commission seat being vacated by Robert Baker.

“Not having Bobby Baker on the Public Service Commission is a great loss for Georgia consumers,” said Echols. “I tried to talk him into running again, but he wants to give someone else a chance to serve. I believe I am the right person to keep it going.” Echols said he wants to continue the legacy of Baker and be Georgia’s “conservative consumer watchdog” on the Commission.

“Regulated businesses send the bill for even their bad decisions to their customers,” said Echols. “The PSC is the gatekeeper and makes sure the energy providers, phone companies and others regulated entities are held accountable.”

Echols said that serving on the Public Service Commission is an incredibly complex job with a mountain of data that has to be analyzed before any hearing-a challenge he looks forward to. “The action of the PSC impacts your electric, gas and phone bill,” said Echols. “Voters can count on me to ask the hard questions and scrutinize all rate requests before the Commission.”

Echols said the Obama administration will soon take up “Cap and Trade,” and this could be devastating for Georgia. “If Obama’s Cap and Trade legislation passes, Georgia’s renewable energy portfolio standard will be set by the federal government-and it could be as high as 20 percent,” said Echols. “If that happens, the electric bill for everyone in this state will jump drastically.”

Tim Echols has been married to Windy Davis Echols of Roswell 26 years and they have seven children ranging from a 21 year old to a 9 year old. Echols has three degrees from the University of Georgia. He founded the youth organization, TeenPact, in 1994 and chairs the organization-now in 38 states. He is the author of the book “Real Citizenship,” a primer on political activism. The book is available on Amazon. Echols has been active in GOP politics assisting candidates all over the country. He grew up in Clayton County and attended public schools there before attending the University of Georgia.

1. Icarus says:

A man that was willing to profit from the ethical train wreck that is John Oxendine, now leaves that campaign so he can be the regulator over utilities?

I’ll pass.

• AlanR says:

Should Echols have known better? Maybe after a year of Oxendine he sees this as a good way out. And I would think less of him if he now betrayed Oxendine after taking his money.

In any event, doesn’t sound like a good “watchdog.”

• In The Arena says:

He did such a good job running oxendine’s campaign that he got demoted, in favor of someone from out of state.

2. Technocrat says:

“Conservative consumer watchdog”………..now that takes some explaining………is that anti or pro regulated business.

Why is it that Georgia has ZERO mining of any current source of energy. No coal, no nat gas, no oil obviously, why hasn’t Stone Mtn. been ground down for uranium, why no windmills in Black Rock Mtn. State Park……………..what happened to cellulostic ethanol.

Did you known that “Cypress Pipeline reported that its line is flowing at capacity. Cypress transports gas from the Elba Island Georgia LNG terminal to Florida markets”…to generate electricity.

The point is it could really suck to live in a STATE without domestic sources of coal, gas, oil, wind, anything when times really get hard.

3. Jimbo says:

Oh, great. First, he wants to be my state senator, now he wants to be my PSC commissioner. I wish that he would just go back to leading TeenPact, or working under Oxendine.

4. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

“I’m not sure I’d admit to attending Clayton County public schools, regardless of how long ago it was. ”

— I’m just as concerned with his UGA education.
    😉

• Technocrat says:

All alternative renewable source cost 2-3 times more than current sources so what else is new. We must start to suck it up and get on with it even if it means doubling electric prices now.

Lead instead of following, tell the rate payers now what the future holds.

5. ZazaPachulia says:

Hey, what’s with the gratuitous attack on Clayton County public schools? It’s bad enough that Echols “claims” us and then Chris throws in the extra jab… Lemme guess, PP’s Chris grew up in Cobb… or North Fulton… or Gwinnett… We southsiders stand up for our own. Ain’t nothing worse than a snob from Cobb.

As for Echols…
    PSC sure draws a handsome salary… I would be running for that post if I lived in Athens. You’d be stupid not to — especially if you’ve just spent the better part of a year going hunting and fishing with The Ox’s deep pocketed king-maker industry pals.

6. strident_hack says:

Well, I have to question this guy’s savy – invoking Bobby Baker’s name three times to promote himself as a republican and a conservative? For anyone who has paid attention, Baker is the AJC’s favorite statewide republican because he forgot his GOP principles years ago, and has become a lapdog for groups that support very liberal, anti-utitility, anti-growth policies, such as Angela Speir and her trial laywer buddies at Georgia Watch.

Riding Oxendines and Baker’s “conservative” coattails to victory may be a strategy on paper, but I dont see how it translate into the real world. JMHO.

• Icarus says:

If Don Balfour, with his SB 31 gift to GA Power, and Stan Wise, who never met a request from GA Power or AGL he couldn’t grant, are the current face of the Republican party – well – then I and Bobby Baker haven’t left the Republican party, the Republican party has left us.

• strident_hack says:

Interesting, Icarus. You passed on this guy in your first post, then jump back in to endore Ox, BB and Echols in you last post by deeming the Republican Party out of touch with conservative principles. I need a neck brace from the whiplash I just experienced.

You use a typical Obama trick of instroducing a “straw man” to make a point, as if Ox and Baker are the only alternative to Balfour and Georgia Power. Being anti-utility is not the same as being a consumer advocate. Using that logice, I would bet that you don’t make monthly mortgage payments on your house – you are waiting for 30 years to pass then will write a single check. That’s BB’s utility payment philosphy.

Come back, Icarus. You can be a moderate under the big tent GOP, but don’t lose your soul by siding with Ox and Baker in doing so.

• strident_hack says:

{fixed my typos}

You use a typical Obama trick of introducing a “straw man” to make a point, as if Ox and Baker are the only alternative to Balfour and Georgia Power. Being anti-utility is not the same as being a consumer advocate. Using that logic, I would bet that you don’t make monthly mortgage payments on your house – you are waiting for 30 years to pass then will write a single check. That’s BB’s utility payment philosphy.

• Icarus says:

If you are reading anything as I said as siding with Ox, you really could use some instruction in reading comprehension.

As for being anti-utility, I am not. But consistently changing rules that favor the utilities and large businesses against individual rate payers and small businesses isn’t Republican.

Seems to me that most Republicans claim to be against government transfers of wealth. Yet when it’s done on behalf of GA Power, it’s just “helping out a good corporate citizen”

I’m against government transfers of wealth, including the ones to our “friends”.

• strident_hack says:

Sorry if I touched a nerve, I.

Echols invoked Ox and BB in his release. Neither represent my GOP, and I will not/would not support either.

You invoked Balfour and Ga Power politics as reasons to say the GOP has left you, clearly linking your preference for Baker’s RINO politics over the substance of my GOP principles.

Echols wants to use BB’s coattails as a consumer advocate, then he has to take the whole lousy package, and be viewed as lacking understanding of what a statewide constitutional officer is supposed to be – not a single issue advocate but as someone who will follow the law.

Ox, Echols and Baker are linked in this this race. Given that, and my natural tendancy not to fear Georgia Power – who has done more for Georiga than either of those gentlemen – I decided to link your throwing the whole GOP under the bus in your defense of BB to Echols desire to ride Ox’s coat tails.

Absurd? Sure. I was pointing out your absurdity by being absurd. We have both given this issue too much time!

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Somebody has had their blinders on for the past decade.
      I guess Strident hack won’t be voting for Chapman either.

• strident_hack says:

Sen. Chapman? Not on my list, but no problem with him. One is supposed to be an advocate for causes and beliefs as a legislator. A commissioner is supposed to sit as an unbiased judge and apply the law. Show me someone who understands this, and I will support them.

7. AthensRepublican says:

I will pass on Echols and even though he is local I would rather have someone not as closely associated with Oxendine.

8. DTK says:

“He is the author of the book “Real Citizenship,” a primer on political activism. The book is available on Amazon.”

– That second sentence is kind of odd for a campaign announcement, isn’t it? I guess Echols figures if he’s going to finish fourth with about 11 percent of the vote, he might as well try to make a few extra bucks peddling a long-forgotten book.

But, then again, at $6.99, he won’t be making too much money. He should’ve stayed with Ox; he’d be better off financially catching the scraps off his former master’s dinner table than by making this quixotic run for PSC. Ox may be going down in August, but I’m sure the campaign’s going to have a helluva good time in the meanwhile.

9. Glen Ross says:

Echols likes to stand out front with his religion on his sleeve, but yet he works for one of Georgia’s most ethically challenged elected officials of the past 20 years. No thanks. Plus, I’m not sure what in the hell kinda genius insight Echols thinks he can bring to that office. He seems to have only one skill, working for losing statewide primaries.

• Lady Thinker says:

Oxendine also plays the religion card in his speeches as his behavior shows everything but Christian attributes.