Creative Loafing Announces “Golden Sleaze” Awards

I really enjoyed reading this list.

I’m going to make you click the links so Thomas Wheatley and Scott Henry can eventually cut back working street corners to part time.

But be sure you do, so you can find out who won some nifty new titles, like the “It’s not hypocricy when I do it” award.”

And if you liked our live blog poll question of “Which would win in a fair fight, Judson Hill’s hair or Randall Mangham’s moustache?”, you won’t be disappointed by their recipients (with photos of the champion follicles!)

So click here, have a laugh, and do your part to keep Wheatley off the streets.

….and let’s just go ahead and warn you about some non-family friendly language (unless your surname is Soprano.)

1. PaulRevere says:

Kudos on the “It isn’t hypocrisy when I do it” Award. I was at the Atlanta Tea Party event when they named Judson Hill one of their endorsed candidates and thought I’d entered the twilight zone. He was supporting health insurance mandates almost before Mitt Romney. Did no one know that? I guarantee that if the folks out in the crowd had known, he would have been chased off that stage and ran out of town on a rail.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Tea partiers can barely read, let alone do some research on one of their “heroes.”

2. Old Vet says:

The real sleeze occurs on the last day of the session, when brand new legislation, unvetted by any committee and unsuspected by members, the press, or the public, comes out of a conference committee, “sits on the desk” for one hour in the midst of chaos, and is then called for a vote. Often the member presenting the conference committee “compromise” fails to mention what the legislation really does, and in at least one instance this session the presenter refused to take questions. So the bill is passed out in total ignorance and no one knows the better until it is too late. These things never have a “father or a mother”, being the joint recommendation of three conferees from each chamber. In fact, only a hand full of powerful persons can orchrestrate these afronts to democracy. The General Assembly should prohibit any amendments or substitutes to a bill (except appropriations) on the 40th day. That would move the wheeling and dealing back to the 39th day and allow proper time to review the last minute skullduggery on the 40th. Sunshine is always good for democracy.

• mitchmartin says:

Old Vet, if you knew how many awesome things we’ve slipped by the Democrats and the press using that tactic you would feel much differently.

• Dave Bearse says:

Right on, Old Vet. The legislation exempting rich seniors was in this mold. Out of nowhere out of the Senate at 12:30 and passed by prior to 3:30, likely unread by those that voted for it (though easy to understand and perhaps known to most that voted for it). I’m no longer accepting explanation from my representation that vote to approve legislation proferred in this manner.

And combining your comment with that of Revere concerning Hill’s hypocrisy, it’s amusing that the state GOP was all up in arms about national health care legislation not being available for review prior to voting.

The GOP: “We’re for it until we’re against it.”

3. Harry says:

Excellent comment, Old Vet. Maybe the PP intelligensia should develop a manifesto directed at the leadership, and this could be one of the points. A lot of these last day surprises must emanate from any number of undisclosed outside interests.

4. Dave Bearse says:

Thanks for the link Icarus.

I like Austin Scott, but my respect for him was definitely diminished by CL reporting that he sponsored legislation to exempt firearms from state sales tax. I still like and respect Scott, but his sponsoring that legislation demonstrates he’s not someone I’d want voting on on national tax legislation.

It’s further proof that that GOP talk of tax reform ought to make Georgians nervous.