Turnover In The Legislature

The State House and Senate will look very different next year. A number of new faces will be there and there is the potential for a huge change. Here are the numbers I gathered by scanning the list of candidates who qualified to run last week.

House:
27 incumbents (15%) are not running again, and 62 (34%) face a challenge, either in the primary or the general election.

Senate:
13 incumbents (23%) are not running again, and 20 (36%) face a challenge, either in the primary or the general election.

I make no comment on the chance of victory these challengers have, but surely some will win. Nevertheless, we’re going to be seeing a lot of new faces next year. Choose wisely voters.

• ByteMe says:

That’s an interesting position to propose. Care to elaborate? I know why I think they’re a menace, but what’s your reasoning?

1. bowersville says:

That’s right about the CofC. This election isn’t about jobs, the economy, small business, the budget. None of that “stuff.”

2. Howard Roark says:

Bowersville,

I love it when someone splashes common sense all over a board.

Vote against the Chamber of Commerce, ha.

3. Georgia Judge says:

Newuser,

Not sure what you are using but Im sure it isnt allowed in the work place.

4. Dave Bearse says:

Read another way “turnover” is not the same as choice. Only about one-half of the races will feature candidates from both parties.

5. chefdavid says:

I have already heard this years spin. We cut taxes. You can carry guns. We had an abortion bill in the Senate. We reduced the budget. I am betting that those who voted against such things as HB 1055 and the hospital bill will not call out their counterparts in the other house.during the re-election cycle. It will be interesting to see if equal submitted article column space announcing campaigns by incumbents will be given for the challengers. At least in my county, see page 4.
    We shall see.

6. chefdavid says:

I wonder what some of the legislatures are going to do with left over campaign cash. According to this article: http://www.atlantaunfiltered.com/2010/05/05/departing-lawmakers-have-1-3m-in-campaign-cash-to-burn/ “Those who are seeking other offices may not transfer it to their new campaigns” I guess they will use the money to get in office who they want. It is going to get interesting. Up in TN last night we seemed to see an unseating of quite a few incumbants. (McMinn & Meigs County sherriffs and a long time Hamilton County Commisioner) .If this is a preview of GA things are going to get interesting.

• ByteMe says:

Anyone know if someone can also do a typical “money laundering” trick and route the money to another campaign only to have that campaign route a similar amount back to your new campaign?

• drjay says:

if they are running for higher office, don’t most just have “refund parties” or a virtual version of the same–where you refund the money from your state senate campaign fund and the donor regifts the money to your psc campaign fund (not thinking of anyone in particular just using two different offices to illustrate)

• Doug Grammer says:

Qualifying as a party is over. If the Dems are going to run someone, it will be time to go get signatures.

• polisavvy says:

Oops — I posted my question to you in the wrong spot? Would you answer it for me? Thanks, Doug.

7. GAPoliticsisfun says:

This amount of turnover is a very good thing. Fresh blood and new ideas are needed.

• Doug Grammer says:

O.C.G.A. § 21-2-170 (b)
      talks about statewide candidates then……
      ……A nomination petition of a candidate for any other office shall be signed by a number of voters equal to 5 percent of the total number of registered voters eligible to vote in the last election for the filling of the office the candidate is seeking and the signers of such petition shall be registered and eligible to vote in the election at which such candidate seeks to be elected…..