Nancy Coverdell to serve as Harp’s campaign co-chair

Seth Harp’s campaign sent this along a couple days ago:

“I am very thrilled and privileged to have so many great people throughout Georgia endorse my candidacy and support my campaign,” Sen. Harp stated. “Over the next few months we will continue to aggressively campaign throughout this state and deliver a message of an Insurance Commissioner who promises to put the taxpayers of Georgia first and give you what you deserve: an Insurance Commissioner you can depend on.”

Seth pledges to apply the same conservative values he used in the State Senate in order to crack down on fraud and ensure that Georgians’ rights are protected. Seth vows to fight to keep rates low, investigate fraud
and bring integrity, honor and accountability to the Department of Insurance.

In addition to qualifying, Seth announced a broad-based Statewide Steering Committee composed of community, industry and political leaders from across Georgia. The steering committee consists of many current and former elected officials, Republican leaders, and industry leaders.

Serving as Co-Chairs to the campaign are Nancy Coverdell, wife of the late U.S. Sen. Paul Coverdell, and former Congressman Bo Callaway.

Other members include:
John Sours
Commissioner Helen Stone, Chatham County
Dianne Strickland
Martin Sullivan
Mat Swift
Eric Tanenblatt

1. I am glad to see that Harp is going to be out of the senate, but now I want him out of Georgia politics, period. He is a big government career politician and we definitely do NOT need another career politician for any office of government. In fact, we never did. Not ever, unless it is someone with the Constitutional fortitude of a Ron Paul.

• ECSnob says:

Harp has been in politics for a lifetime and in the legislature for five terms. Ten years makes a career? Explain to me what about Seth makes him big government?

2. John Konop says:

If any candidate wants to support tax payers than why not eliminate the anti-trust exemption for insurance companies and make them compete in the free market? Any industry that we have allowed to bog to fail is not only risky but service and prices generally stink ie cable company, electric company……….

Also why not let small business have the RIGHT to form buying associations letting them self-insure like many large companies do? This would save about 20% to 25% a year on healthcare! Can anyone tell me why this is illegal in Georgia?

• TidePrideGA says:

I could tell you why they’re illegal in Georgia – if they were. They’re not. Section 50 of Article 33 authorizes MEWAs – Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangements. There is only one functioning successfully in Georgia – the Georgia Pharmacy Association – because they are set up to fail. When you set up a self-insured arrangement like this, the point will always be reached where the healthier groups can get cheaper rates in the general market. When those healthy groups start to move on to cheaper rates, the group is left only with the high-claims groups, causing an upward spiral in premium, causing more insureds to pull out, causing higher remaining claims for less paid in premium. There were a plethora of these arrangements and every single one of them failed – leaving many, many insureds holding the bag on claims. The only reason the GPA plan works is that the members are intensely loyal to the plan, it has been well managed and reserved, and there are strong disincentives for bailing out.

The General Assembly passed a bill this year that would lower the reserve requirements to form a MEWA, making them easier. Unfortunately, the reserve requirements are now so grossly inadequate that they’re more than ever doomed to failure – and more attractive to shyster administrators in it for a quick buck.

The Insurance Commissioner should be protecting Georgia’s consumers in ways that *really* protect them, rather than just sound vaguely like they would protect them.

Don’t believe the sound bites.

• John Konop says:

TidePrideGA,

First they way insurance works is most insurance companies buy a re-insurance ie cartographic insurance and it cost about 10% to administrate the policy. The insurance companies gross profit is about 20 to 25 % based on their ability to manage claim expense.

Agree or disagree?

Second the management claims and reserve if based on sound logic can save money with a large enough pool. For example if you promote wellness, charge less for dial a doc over doc visits………you can even save more money.

Agree or disagree?

Third insurance company is incentive to increase the price and cover less to drive profits? A self employer pool would be about containing cost while keeping the workers healthy.

Agree or disagree?

Forth the plan would only work if you have enough small business people in the pool. And my understanding of Georgia law is small business cannot form an association for the purpose of creating a large enough pool to self-insure.

Finally many large companies and cities now, even in Georgia successfully self-insure.

• TidePrideGA says:

On your first point, I didn’t think we were talking about insurance companies, but rather self-funded “associations” of small business people per your original post. But I can tell you for a fact that your estimate of profit margin on HEALTH insurance is way, way off. Way off. So, I disagree.

On your second point, you’re talking about, at best, apples and kumquats. Wellness incentives and reserve management are not at all the same thing. I absolutely agree that TRUE wellness incentives (very few of which actually exist) can save claims dollars. On the reserve issue, before it can be managed well enough to succeed it must be adequate to begin with, particularly to handle claims that have not matured. In the new law, they are not even close. So agree and disagree.

I can’t entirely disagree with your third point, but it’s nowhere near that simple, so no comment.

On your fourth point, Georgia law does provide for small businesses (such as the independent pharmacies in the GPA) to join together to create a large enough pool to self-insure.

The over-riding question over this issue though, is where will these small businesses get the expertise to efficiently and effectively manage the extraordinarily complicated process of managing claims in a world where medical inflation outstrips regular inflation by a lot? As the owner of, say, a small plumbing company, am I expected to have the expertise to know how to manage medical costs and claims? How am I supposed to know that any such “association” I join will effectively manage claims over, say, a 5-year period? Blind trust? Will I be jointly and severally liable? BTW, under Georgia’s new law, I will be. As a small business owner struggling to make payroll, do I take that risk?

There is no Occam’s Razor when it comes to health claims management.

• John Konop says:

THE ANSWER

I said gross profit margin not profit margin do you understand the difference? I am shocked as an expert you would no know the difference.

QUESTION

THE ANSWER

With a gross margin of 20% or more on the mark-up of the product, one would think you could manage this process and or provide better service. If anything it would let you design the product better.

3. old political pro says:

congrats on a strong list seth. I think sean donnelly is running this race. good guy. good race.