Qualifying Week Day 5 Open Thread.

It’s the final day of qualifying and nervous candidates (like me) only have to wait until noon to find out if there will be any last minute additions to their race. Talk amongst yourselves while I refresh this page a billion times.

1. Chris says:

I tried to shutdown the connector north and south of the capitol to keep anyone from qualifying against you, but alas. You know how hard it is to find lobster trucks to hijack in this state?

2. Archon says:

OK I was watching the news at 11 on WSB and they had a story on Chuck Sims getting a DUI. But there is no sign of it anywhere on their site or the AJC or any where else on the web. Did anyone else see it? Does anyone else have it? I wanted to see the details since I only caught the tail end of the story.

3. It’s not reflected on the state page yet, but I just got an announcement email for Chuck Efstration in the 7th. That’s a pretty aggressive move, since he was just elected county chairman only a year ago. However, I guess you have to take your shot when you have the chance, since that seat will belong to the next guy as long as he wants it.

I personally don’t care to rubber-stamp the establishment’s Clay Cox pick, and I’ve never even heard of most of the other names (a preacher and a flight attendant?!?)… so I guess Chuck is my candidate for that race.

4. Chris says:

Anyone know what time the Sine Die’d last night. The stupid live-blog replay doesn’t go past 8:35am.

• Part-Time Atlanta says:

I’m surprised it took him this long to get caught. I like Chuck (sans his grocery tax), but most know he does enjoy his time in session.

5. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I saw “Miss Angela” in the Capitol parking lot this morning. I wonder in which race she’ll qualify. I’m looking forward to her commercials.

6. Mama Bear says:

ok, question. If no one qualifies against a candidate (not you Buzz, fingers crossed for you), what happens if an Independent comes out of left field later? What are the rules and when do they have to have their signatures? Like, Buzz, I am on pins and needles watching for my candidate but now I’m antsy about this Independent possibility.

7. rightofcenter says:

I have a similar question – what happens if no one in either party qualifies?

Although it is a moot point in District 23, where the idiot J. B. Powell qualified for re-election today.

8. Sarah Scott says:

I was truly hoping that someone, anyone would qualify against the delegation from Augusta and the surrounding area….

Ugh. JB Powell again…where is Napoleon Jenkins when you need him.

• rightofcenter says:

Napoleon is now on the city council of Tennille.

A legitimate question – is there a more worthless state senator than Powell?

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Seems like Augusta has always been poorly represented in the legislature. If I didn’t know any better, and with the exception of Ed Tarver, I’d assume that everyone from the area is either a crook, a loon, or a philanderer.

Joey Brush never met a married women he didn’t love, Don Cheeks was the biggest jerk, Charles Walker was as crooked as they come, Bill Jackson is insane, Sue Burmiester is another loon, and there was some little guy (Rep/rep) who was arrogant and ended up going to jail too. I’m sure I missed some….

I’m curious to hear what the both of you specifically think of the current delegation.

• rightofcenter says:

Well, I see that J. B. has decided to go for Ag Commish. Excuse me while I try to control my laughter.

You are basically right – Ed Tarver is a great American. As for the rest – I don’t know.

Who are these 2 dudes running for the 23rd now that Powell switched?

• Junius says:

I believe you are thinking of Robin Williams (R), the statesman who set his car on fire for the insurance proceeds and wound up in the clink. You are correct that the Augusta area has produced a long line of losers. Lest you forget, Linda Schrenko also hailed from the CSRA.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

That’s right, it was Williams, and I did forget Schrenko. Augusta needs better Representation than what it’s been getting since Carl Sanders.

• Sarah Scott says:

Jesse Stone has qualified to fill the Senate seat left empty (but will need new springs I am sure) with the move by Powell. He is the former Mayor of Waynesboro and a great guy.

The first ‘chosen’ candidate on the Dem side was told at the qualification table that he did not live in the 23rd district. Whoops.

9. kyleinatl says:

I’m somewhat amazed that there are two candidates vying for the 5th held by Lewis…bit of a waste of a qualifying fee. I applaud anyone for trying, but still…the 5th???? Come on…

10. kyleinatl says:

AND where is Cason Sisk??? This no show on qualifying day isn’t exactly “getting it done for a brighter tomorrow”.

11. John Konop says:

The GOP will regret the lack of challenge to the failed education policy directed from Kathy Cox. I think the Dems will challenge this seat and it will affect the Governors race via the plunders from Kathy Cox.

The biggest victims are students, parents and tax payers! Can we not do better?

12. Comfortably Southside says:

Looks Like John Lunsford has decided to retire and call it quits. He is no longer in even the Senate race for the 17th

• sofnbc says:

I am suprised at that, I saw he did not qualify for Senate District 17 but I thought for sure he would run for reelection in House District 110. I wonder what changed his mind? I will vote for Rick Jefferies for Senate District 17.

13. rightofcenter says:

Jesse Stone looks like a great candidate! As a resident of the 23rd, I’m excited. Who is this Baxter Garvin the Dems dredged up? I’m sure it’s one of J. B.’s cronies, which puts a definite mark on him.

14. I’m surprised to see former Speaker Terry Coleman getting in on the race for D Labor Comm. I knew he was pondering a run for something, but I had assumed it was Ag.