Hawkins Calls Club For Growth “Special Interest Group”; “Sinister”

Press Release from Lee Hawkins responding to the Club For Growth ad being discussed here.

Prepare for Jason Pye’s head to explode in 3…2…1…

Sen. Lee Hawkins Condemns
Special Interest Group working with Graves

Outside groups attempting to falsely influence Georgia voters

(Gainesville)—A Washington special interest has launched an expensive, false television advertising campaign to assist their endorsed candidate, Tom Graves, and damage State Sen. Lee Hawkins’ bid for Congress.

The television ad from “Club for Growth” claims Hawkins opposes the repeal of President Obama’s recently passed national healthcare reform package.

The false advertising fails to mention that Hawkins is campaigning daily on repealing Obamacare, as well as Hawkins airing TV commercials calling for repealing Obamacare.

Dr. Hawkins is a dentist and former President of the Georgia Dental Association. As a professional health care practitioner, Dr. Hawkins has led effort in Georgia to stop Obamacare.

Graves has no experience in health care whatsoever.

“There is something much more sinister here,” said Dr. Hawkins. “This is a Washington special group which supports opening our borders for illegal immigration. Graves Washington buddies oppose immigration reform and want you to elect a weak career politician they can control like Tom Graves.”

“Georgia voters won’t be fooled by D.C. special interest groups trying to force their candidate onto north Georgia voters.”

“It’s just a falsehood from a big D.C. establishment special interest group,” said Dr. Hawkins.”

Full disclosure, I have endorsed and written a check to Tom Graves. I also have acknowledged that I believe this is a two man race between Graves and Hawkins, with Stephens and Tarvin playing spoilers.

That said, I have to question the “unique” strategy that the Hawkins campaign is running. While they have a distinct geographic advantage in this district, they continue to do things that seem to generate negative media. Calling the JOBS bill authored by Graves a sham when it received overwhelming Republican support in both the house and the Senate was interesting. Calling the uber-conservative Club For Growth a sinister Washington special interest group is another.

Team Hawkins doesn’t appear to be playing to their strenght here, and also seems to be giving his enemies ammunition and new targets on his back.

1. reaganrev4 says:

“There is something much more sinister here,” said Dr. Hawkins

Don’t twist words Jason, you should be better than that. That quote never once calls Club for Growth sinister and if you think it does you need a lesson in reading comp.

I believe what he is saying is sinister is that this group supports Graves and Graves commercial is timed to come on right after this one everywhere it airs. Seems fishy

• provisional says:

I don’t know, the way reaganrev post sounds more like a high school student than a veteran consultant. I am in full disclosure a graves supporter, but I give Joel more credit than posting some of the classless, uneducated attack post that Reaganrev does…

• reaganrev4 says:

It must be my high school naivete that thinks the truth ought to be represented on this site as well.

Very educated and classy posting, by the way, Provisional! You truly are an inspiration

2. rightofcenter says:

Icarus,
    The Club for Growth is running ads AGAINST him. Do you expect him to sing Kum-ba-ya and say nice things about them? Get real.

3. reaganrev4 says:

Sorry Icarus. And im not saying you used the word, that isnt the issue. You are twisting the meaning of his words to say he called the group sinister…which the quote clearly shows that he didnt. As i stated in the first comment, “There is something much more sinister here,” said Dr. Hawkins. Nowhere does that quote name call the Club for Growth…at all.

• ByteMe says:

As Jon Stewart would say: “More sinister than Club for Growth? Oh, whatever could that be?”

• GeorgiaValues says:

While the Hawkins campaign continues to try and attack Tom Graves, Peach Pundit, Club for Growth and the conservative support Tom has, in the last week alone Lee Hawkins has skipped 4 candidate forums hosted by organizations in the 9th District.

Why is Lee hiding from the voters?

And not to rub salt in an open wound, Lee came in dead last in yesterday’s straw poll hosted by the Gilmer GOP and Gilmer Tea Party. Dead Last, after Loftman, Moon, Stephens, Tarvin, Cates and Graves. This was a big slip from his distant 4th place finish at the 9th/11th District BBQ a few weeks back.

If Lee’s staff and supporters would spend less time blasting everything that moves on Peach Pundit, maybe he would be doing just slightly better, just maybe.

• Joshua Morris says:

Maybe Lee Hawkins is busier than the rest of the field in meetings with constituents all over the district. And we all know the value of straw polls, as they have predicted so many elections in the past… or not.

The only thing I “blast” on this site are lies and misrepresentations from the opposition. I can respect an honest debate on anything, but when someone lies outright about a candidate or completely misrepresents information to make a candidate appear to have a record or a belief that he doesn’t have, it gets under my skin.

This race has caused me to lose respect for some people and organizations that I used to hold in high esteem. Honesty is an indication of character.

We’ll see who is doing well in about a week.

4. John Konop says:

Replace Spider-man with Hawkins and Chris Chocola from Club for growth as the bad guy and we got a commercial! The Hawkins campaign can send me a check for the idea.

Spectacular Spider-Man- Sinister Six II

5. Glen Ross says:

“Graves has no experience in health care whatsoever.” Man, that’s a great point. That Paul Ryan sure needs to shut his mouth, too. That non-doctoring sonofab*tch.

• Ramblinwreck says:

Yeah, and Tom Graves has absolutely ZERO experience sucking up to the Obama administration like Lee Hawkins gained after his love fest with the human gaffe machine Joe Biden when he came to Gainesville a few months back to announce the distribution of bailout money. If you’re looking for someone Obama can count on to keep being a ready recipient of bailout money you can count on Lee Hawkins. Yeah, that’s what we need in Washington representing the 9th District.

6. Joshua Morris says:

“Calling the JOBS bill authored by Graves a sham when it received overwhelming Republican support in both the house and the Senate was interesting.”

I don’t care if President Reagan came back from the dead and supported it, no one yet has been able to explain to me how a bill that waits for a $1 billion state surplus, an approval from the Obama administration, or the year 2012 to cut taxes on businesses is conservative policy. It certainly doesn’t qualify as supply side economic legislation.

These groups that claim to be conservative bastions of political action appear to be more interested in playground politics, forming cliques and supporting people at all costs despite the truth and ignorant of actual conservative principles.

Why can’t we just be honest about this race?

• Jim Bob says:

JM,

I don’t think it is anything personal to you or your guy. In fact, I think that I have it figured out. Anti-Deal, Anti-Cagle and Anti-Hawkins.

The folks of PP are just Anti-Gainesville………… 🙂

• GeorgiaConservative says:

Seems that way doesn’t it? PP has their own slate of candidates that have kissed the blogging ring. Tom Graves, Doug MacGinnitie, Karen Handel… Great slate….

• Mozart says:

Gosh, Joshua, you take all the fun out of the ‘smoke and mirrors’ manipulation of legislation. 🙂

7. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Wow dudes! You see them damned black helicopters? Damn near knocked over my bourbon. Leaves me the hell alone.

Club for Growth?! Ha! That’s the same bunch sends our jobs to mexico?

8. AubieTurtle says:

Every time I hear their name, I end up hearing ‘Club for Hair Growth’. It’s probably TBS’s fault for airing all of those Hair Club for Men commercials during my youth.

9. AlanR says:

I think Graves is an really interesting candidate. I still don’t really know what he does for a living? He owns some real estate, but it I don’t think hes developed or built anything. I’d like to know more if anyone knows.

He seems to be in favor of reform, but folded on 216 when the going got tough. And as someone pointed out above, understands how lobbyists work, or maybe its how to work a lobbyist.

Is it such a good thing when an outside group with money coming out its ears decides to interfere in a Georgia election? For its own ends? I’m not sure I’d want Club support as much as I’d want the Hall County Chamber.

I get that Hawkins is worse. I’m just looking for some reasons to believe beyond the hype.

10. GVilleMan says:

Stop calling Stephens a spoiler, this guy has a legitmate chance of being in a run-off with Graves

11. seekingtounderstand says:

if you want corrupt politics to go unchecked, then Hawkins has alot of experience looking the other way to gov. corruption in hall county. He has done nothing for the folks that live here.
    His staff will give out complete lies and not answer your emails.
    Hall County was the only county in GA not to reduce property tax but decided to go their own way and froze property rates at 2007 levels. Lee just ignored the issue.

• Doug Grammer says:

A State Senator not telling the County Commission how to do their job is very week evidence or corrupt politics. Can you gave an example of his staffers lies? From what I read, I think your mad because your property taxes didn’t go down. Unless you can come up with better evidence of corruptness, I’ll ignore you as well.