John and Doug Sitting in a Tree [UPDATED]

John Konop and Doug Grammer sitting in a tree.

B-I-T-C-H-I-N-G

First came the insults. Then came the barbs.

Then came Erick banning both of them if they so much as look at each other in the comments.

The rest of us are tired of their squabbling. Take it elsewhere.

UPDATED: I owe John an apology. I thought John too had been warned about this tit for tat, but he very clearly hadn’t and I shouldn’t have lumped him in when, upon further review, it appears clearly that Doug started it.

John, sorry about that. You two do please refrain from making eye contact, but sorry again. I thought in the email chain of events I’d seen you too had been warned to avoid it, and you hadn’t.

1. polisavvy says:

I have to admit that I find the two of them to be very informative on some issues; however, I have grown weary of the bickering.

• Chris says:

For me its the name calling. I’ll be happy to throw them into moderation if they keep it up. When not engaging in their 3rd grade behavior they’re both worthwhile contributors.

2. John Konop says:

Erick,

No problem I will do a self ban. I respect the fact it is your blog and you make the rules. You could have e-mailed me directly and or contacted me. And if I was over the top at times at Doug I do apologize only was trying to make a point.

At the end of the day I will focus more on my family and business.

• B Balz says:

Mr. Konop often brings incisive views to the P-Squared. John, please reconsider your choice, after a fashion.

If Mr. Grammar’s oft polemic, strident, and intolerant views are actually those of the GA GOP, then changing his screen name won’t matter. Doug, please consider that Dale Carnegie course I recommended, awhile back.

Both guys are passionate, knowledgeable, and a good part of this little pixel fantasy world.

Agreed, the personal attacks became tedious.

Spacey? Spacey?

Peachy? Peachy?

• Republican Lady says:

John,

Don’t go away, we need you and your intelligent comments. I wish you had not been publically called out like this but you have many people in your corner – your opponent, not so much. Take a deep breath and come back.

• polisavvy says:

I personally would hate to see you quit posting on here. As I said above, I find most of your posts to be informative and, on occasions, very entertaining. I do have to give you one thing to your credit though, you have never addressed me with sarcasm or disdain. Please consider remaining a valuable poster on here, or at least think about it. Thanks John.

• Henry Waxman says:

I agree with John. If I were called out with a front page post, I would take my page-viewing, ad-supporting business elsewhere…

• ByteMe says:

Yeah, this could definitely have been handled with a lighter hand. Like via e-mail and not on a front-page post.

Erick, recommend you close the thread and delete it. Everyone got the word, no need to have it out here forever.

3. oompaloompa says:

I would be sad to see Doug leave PP. I find his comments insightful and humorous.

You guys group hug and let’s get back to busting some legislators chops.

4. HowardRoark says:

I disagree with John a good bit, but his thoughts are normally thought out and genuine. But we could replace Doug Grammar with a bobble head and never miss a beat, though.

And Mr. Grammar, I’m still waiting to decide which of our elected officials I disagree most with before I file papers to run against. That is of course since you deemed that the only appropriate way to voice your discontent with elected Republicans.

5. John Konop says:

Erick thank you for the update and apology accepted. Also I am very humbled about the nice emails and calls that all of you made to me. Erick was right I was over the top with Doug and I was wrong. With that said I will buy Erick and or Doug a beer Thursday night in the spirit of putting this all behind us.

6. bowersville says:

Best possible outcome John. I haven’t been saying much in the past year but I’ve been following along.

7. Doug Grammer says:

I wasn’t going to say anything on this post, but now that it has been updated, I feel compelled to do so. If I am responding to other comments, I’m not so sure it’s accurate that I started anything. I guess it depends on which thread we were talking about.

To start with, I contacted “him who won’t be named” off line and told him I appreciated his apology. I had tried approaching him offline before and didn’t get very far. I think it was well received this time.

I contacted not one, or two, but three different moderators for their help, suggestions, advice offline, one of whom was Eric Erickson himself. I received no replies offline then, and still haven’t.

I don’t know about metro-Atlanta, but where I come from, if someone calls you unethical for no real rhyme or reason repeatedly, it is expected that you stand up for yourself. I may have gone too far by calling him a liar, but I won’t agree that I am unethical. If I have offended him “that won’t be named” in our exchanges, I apologize.

I enjoy a good debate; I try to produce facts to back up my opinions, and occasionally, I try to start a worthwhile conversation. Sometimes, I will post things just to get reactions. I don’t think that I went too far, no mention of goats or other activities, so I’m not giving myself a self-imposed ban. There are others on here that can be less polite than me. I don’t recall starting off a post by calling someone an idiot. I realize we get on peoples nerves and I apologize to everyone for that.

To end, I just authorized an ad on peach pundit. I wasn’t the only party involved, but I could have blocked it. I was considering spending more money here on other projects, but I don’t see me doing that until there are rules here that are enforced equally for everyone. Maybe I should have said I had money to spend when I was asking for help off line?

8. saltycracker says:

John is the moderator on his own site of mean spirited squabbling. He does freak out when called for wearing a Red hat in a poor attempt to hide his very Blue head.

Erick is correct to get control of these situations.

9. dj says:

Erick,
    I’m sorry, but the “sitting in a tree” post cracked me up!!! And the follow-up about “looking at each other” was even funnier. In spite of Doug’s inquiry as to my age…(I’ll let that one go), we should all maintain civility even while in disagreement…

10. dj says:

One more…when Doug Grammer refrains from personal insults, he does provide valuable insight into the GA GOP mind…even if we don’t understand it!

11. Mozart says:

Erick said “tit.” My, we’ve come a long way since George Carlin’s 7 words you cannot say on TV.

12. Republican Lady says:

Just don’t use the “b” word, even if you are just relating an incident about Ray McBerry. Spam won’t let you go.

13. B Balz says:

Sadly, Ray can currently span three threads simultaneously and previously garner over 300 comments on two threads.