Come on, can’t we at least try to show some originality in the campaigns?

Terry Rogers (website | Twitter) is running for the Senate seat in the 50th District, after failing in an identical quest two years ago against Jim Butterworth (website). Rogers is running on a common sense approach to government with his business training and experience to bring a new kind of leadership to, evidently, the State of Wisconsin.

I write that because based on a review of Rogers’ April 21 e-mail announcing his campaign, he seems to really, really….really…really appreciate the ideas in a January 12 campaign announcement from former Wisconsin state Rep. Dave Hutchison (R-Dyckesville), who is running for the State Senate seat in their 1st District.

Let’s compare and contrast, shall we?

TITLE:

Hutchison: Former state Rep. Dave Hutchison to run for 1st district state Senate seat; will work in Senate to create jobs, improve the economy and hold the line on taxes.

Rogers: Business owner Terry Rogers to run for 50th district state Senate seat; will work in Senate to create jobs, hold the line on taxes, and make ethics in government a priority.

1ST PARAGRAPH:

Hutchison: Dyckesville… Former state Rep. Dave Hutchison (R-Dyckesville) announced his intention to run for the 1st District state Senate seat today, pledging to stand up to government-as-usual and help get Wisconsin back on the right track. Hutchison said his years of experience in state government, in the media and in the real world make him an ideal choice for Senate.

Rogers: Clarkesville… Business owner Terry Rogers announced his intention to run for the 50th District state Senate seat today, pledging to stand up to government-as-usual and help get Georgia, and specifically Northeast Georgia, back on the right track. Rogers said his years of experience in business make him an ideal choice for State Senate.

2nd PARAGRAPH:

Hutchison: “Anyone who’s been paying attention to Madison and Washington has to be disappointed, to say the least,” Hutchison said. “Families, businesses and people from all walks of life are suffering, but the government seems more interested in blaming someone else than finding real solutions.”

Rogers: “Anyone who’s been paying attention to Atlanta and Washington has to be disappointed, to say the least,” Rogers said. “Our families, businesses, and neighbors are suffering, but the government seems more interested in blaming someone else than finding real solutions.”

3rd PARAGRAPH:

Hutchison: “The future of our state and our country are at a real crossroads right now,” Hutchison said. “When are they going to learn that we can’t tax our way into responsible government and we can’ spend our way back into prosperity? I’m running for Senate to bring common sense back to Madison.

Rogers: “The future of our state and our country are at a real crossroads right now,” Rogers said. “Politicians must learn that they can’t tax their way into responsible government and they can’t spend their way back into prosperity. I’m running for state Senate in order to take business sense to the capitol and bring viable economic development solutions back to Northeast Georgia.”

Many thanks to the Peach Pundit readers who shot this in via the Tip Line.

Now, this is this end of the world? Of course not. Does stuff like this happen often? Absolutely. But that doesn’t mean that it is acceptable.

Is Terry Rogers really sooooo busy that he can’t sit down on a Saturday morning and pen a few words about why he wants to represent Georgians in the 50th Senate District? Must he look across the Republic to Wisconsin’s 1st Senate District for the language that lays out his philosophy?

This should not cause any real repercussions for Rogers, but it is a call to Georgia’s candidates to actually take a few moments to be….what’s the word I’m looking for…oh, yeah: ORIGINAL.

1. Game Fan says:

Unless they’re both getting their talking points from some central source. Either way, just goes to show many politicians don’t really have much imagination. But frankly, as a PALEO conservative, methinks we have more imagination, ideas, innovation, productivity, outside the political circles and government in general. And I sure wish they’d drop this whole “create jobs” mentality. Money doesn’t grow on trees and government can’t create jobs out of thin air.

• Pete Randall says:

Unless they’re both getting their talking points from some central source.

And that could be the case, no doubt. But then I’m still left wondering why, if so, he still can’t write a few paragraphs about his own thoughts without making a withdrawal from the “Press Release Bank.”

2. Pine Knot says:

Looks like TR’s bitterness towards JB hasn’t subsided since when he finished third behind Jim, and Nancy. I wonder if he asked permission to use those quotes. If not, his lack of originallity could also be called something else. What a way to start off another campaign that is sure to fail. Atleast second place is the farthest he can fall.

• homer_heretic says:

I think the Butterworth sock puppets better check their boy’s release. Besides being factually inaccurate, there is one HUGE omission. I’ll give you a hint, the omission is the crown jewel of the Butterworth reign as Habersham county commission chairman…I let you guess.

Remember the words of the man from Hope, Arkansas…

3. AJones8774 says:

Last night Terry Rogers issued a new press saying, “although the wording may not meet the strict definition of plagiarism, it is obvious that similarities do exist”. Rogers’ blatant word theft is the very definition of plagiarism. Study paragraph two above and notice that only three words were changed and the other paragraphs are nearly as bad. His theft could have been more obvious only if he had mugged Wisconsin’s Dave Hutchison and made off with his typewriter.

Faced with the opportunity to own his embarrassing problem, Rogers has instead scapegoated an unnamed campaign worker. A campaign announcement communicates the central theme of the campaign, so it’s very revealing that Rogers is comfortable admitting the ease at which some flunky supposedly put extensive quotes into his mouth. Most politicians want voters to believe they actually speak for themselves, so Rogers can be commended for admitting he doesn’t.

• Icarus says:

When you’re really close to a campaign, every act the opposition does looks like it is the product of demonic forces at work.

I don’t know who these candidates are, nor any paid or unpaid campaign workers. That said, I’ll say this.

Most campaigns have consultants. The consultants take care of a lot of things, and charge the candidate accordingly. Much like if you went to a lawyer to prepare a will, the attorney isn’t going to sit down at a computer and start writing from scratch. He’s going to pull up a template, and fill in the missing information.

Press releases aren’t rocket science, and cribbing off a previously used one that was in a campaign 1,500 miles away isn’t a big deal to anyone outside of the political class. And frankly, isn’t a big deal to most folks inside the political class.

Go run your campaign, and fight hard. But if you bog yourself down in stuff that voters don’t care about, don’t be surprised if your victory party isn’t one.

4. AJones8774 says:

Icarus point well taken; however, this is not Terry Rogers’ first political mistake. Voters know a trend when they see it.

Also, this isn’t likely to inspire confidence among prospective donors.

5. Jeremy Jones says:

I don’t care about the template press releases. I used a template on my invitations to an upcoming event. What DOES bother me, is the quoting. We all know (assume) most politicians did not really “say” what they put in their press releases. If so, then don’t put it in quotes. Just say, Smith thinks Obama is mean. Not, Smith said, “Obama is a mean man.” Unless Smith actually did say those words, on his own, not reading the press release template.

But, I will say this, it is a small point, 99% of the voters would never see this, but these small things add up until, eventually, you get a professional politician.

6. Bloodhound says:

I don’t know Mr Jones for ugots but his first impression certainly isn’t going to stop me from supporting Sen. Butterworth.

Sen. Butterworth’s record as a solid conservative stands for itself. It has been my pleasure to see action and response from he and/or his office when I bring issue that matter to me to his attention.

That is not to say he ‘rubberstamps’ everything that comes to his attention but he is attentive and responsive (and with his own words).

One day I hope he learns that I am ALWAYS right!lol! But until then, he still gets a top notch conservative grade.

7. bowersville says:

I guess I have somewhat of a different take on on this considering:

First, Rogers is a primary challenger to an incumbent. Second, Rogers ran as a challenger and didn’t make the run-off last cycle. Third, Rogers missed a golden opportunity opportunity to announce his own thoughts as to the why of a challenge this go around. Fourth, Rogers made it so easy that even a grammar school student with access to the internet could have discovered that his release was almost a word for word duplication of the Wisconsin release. Fifth, Rogers timing on this release missed another opportunity for earned recognition as a challenger as it came the week after the largest spring event, the 10th district mass meeting. Sixth, from what I can tell Rogers just recently updated his filing status after a year or so of neglect with the sum total of cash on hand $0.

Icarus your point is taken. However first impressions are important to any event especially in politics. My take is simple. Rogers is still bitter about not making the runoff. A few more bitter people got together and a campaign was cobbled together at the last moment.

There is no ground swell of opposition to Butterworth to put Rogers over the top. Rogers will have to earn it.

Homer, here is where go can chime in and call me a sock puppet.

• I talked to Terry Rogers today and we will be having dinner together at a time and place to be determined later. I supported him before and I will be supporting him this time. I understand that Butterworth already has a campaign contribution from one source of $50,000. To me that is a red flag, signifying that a politician is already bought and paid for by special interest folks. And that is what I find to be the biggest problem we have in America today, ie. corruption.
      I think Rogers can garner the votes that Senator Nancy Schaefer got in the last republican primary, as well as the ones he got in that race. So, his plagiarism was not a politically correct thing to do, but his pledge not to accept such contributions as Butterworth tells me he is the one for me.
      Thank you for your time.
      Edwin Gravitt, former chairman of the
      Barrow and Franklin County Republican Parties