You be Anti-Cagle, I’ll be Pro-Scott

Most people on here have heard the rumor stirring that Austin Scott will qualify to run against Lt. Governor Casey Cagle in the primary this week. We all know that Cagle is not popular here and that many legislators, lobbyists, and creatures of the Gold Dome talk and whisper about the details that happened once Casey took office. The entire thing has mounted into a movement of anti-Cagle and Austin Scott seems to be the one that people are pushing as the “White Knight” who will bring about the defeat of the evil “Black Knight” that is Cagle.

Well I have just one problem with this sentiment.

Don’t get me wrong, being against Cagle on principle and wanting him gone is fine, BUT don’t let that overshadow what Georgia finally has in Austin Scott…a candidate who can actually make Georgia better. I sat down to write this out because the growing discontent with Cagle seems to be mounting into nothing more than an “oust the incumbent!” movement rather than a move for true reform.Let’s take a look at what we’ve got in Austin Scott. This year he introduced legislation to eliminate a wasteful toll authority that was promised to expire once finished, he voted against this year’s thrown-together “Smoke and Mirrors” budget, AND he voted against the Hospital Bed Tax. Go back further and you will find that Austin Scott voted AGAINST SB 31, the bill that strengthened Georgia Power’s hold on rate payers. On the last 2 bills alone we have someone that actually stands up for fiscal conservatism rather than spits on it. Cagle pushed hard for both SB 31 and the Hospital Bed Tax, which had our Lt. Governor removing people from Committees b/c of their opposition.

So, in summation I ask everyone here who might be anti-Cagle to step back and realize one thing: We have a candidate in Austin Scott that will stand up for what he believes and not balk under pressure. A man who has a voting record that matches his rhetoric. A man who is ethical for a change.

I sincerely hope that Austin throws his hat into the ring against Cagle because he’s a candidate that I can feel good about voting for. I hope others realize this and I call on everyone here to open your eyes for a second.

Let’s not be anti-Cagle. Let’s be PRO-Scott.

1. Jeff says:

But Scott also supported Super Speeder and the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program. I asked him about them the day I met him. You can listen to his answers for yourself here

2. Mad Dog says:

Depends on which way the wind blows.

I’ve seen the evidence on Cagle committing investment fraud. And the complaint was filed with the … ethics commission and rejected.

Cagle has never answered that charge.

Nor has he ever addressed how it came to be that GB&T put out a press release about Cagle being a graduate of Gainesville College and Georgia Southern.

He’s got ethical issues including his Dealings with Deal and the refusal to cooperate with the U.S. House ethics investigation.

Maybe there’s someone else like Scott?

• Tyler says:

I’m not familiar with that one, and fraud is a serious charge. Can you link to this evidence and explain the charges you are making?

• Mad Dog says:

You will have to ask the commission for the paperwork.

Cagle says he owned a business consulting firm in Atlanta. He never disclosed his ownership of that company to voters. But, he several times ‘declared’ his ‘position’ as President of Strategia Group to investors in Southern Heritage Bank.

The accusation remains that the company never engaged in a legitimate business transaction and that Cagle invented it since he didn’t want to be known as ‘only’the owner of a tuxedo rental shop to potential investors.

That a fraud.

And yes, I filed the complaint and I did all the research on it.

😉

3. SFrazier says:

Here we go again. Jim Marshall republicans thinking that they actually have power. This is comedy at best. Truth be told, Austin Scott is as dumb as rocks and you all peach idiots are smoking rocks. Against Casey Cagle he will not even carry Tift County. He is a younger version of the ” Ox”. Canned responses with no substance. And when you look where he stands on things, he is quite liberal for a republican. I can see why he does not want to run against Marshall, there is very little difference between them(Marshall is more conservative on abortion). That could be why you, Eric, Icarus and the rest of you cheap sell outs try and push these Rockefeller Republicans onto us. Your efforts to destroy the conservative wing of the party will not work. This is not North Carolina, we will not sell out God’s values in return for you socially liberal agenda . We know pure conservatism when we see it. Cagle is one of us “conservative”, your candidates are a bunch of RINO’s.

• Atlanta says:

I’ve heard Austin Scott at least a dozen times and the main thing I have learned is that he doesn’t use canned responses.

Canned rhetoric awards go to Eric “St Peter joke/saudi arabia of trees” Johnson, and Karen “21st century bold tenacious (insert other business-sounding jargon)” Handel.

Sorry buddy, start riding the campaign trail and you’ll realize there are those with canned responses, and then there’s Austin Scott.

• SFrazier says:

I am from Peach County you idiot. Since you seem to be geographically challenged and easily impressed by a mommy’s boy that is in middle Georgia. I hope he does run against Casey, so that he can get humiliated.

• polisavvy says:

Should you really be on here calling people idiots. Do you even know the definition of the word? Why is it that some of the Deal supporters are some of the nicest people you would ever meet, and then there are people like you who are so vile in your attitude towards others.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

SFrazer is correct. You guys read something “neat” or “cool” about Scott in the AJC, PP, or some pandering piece of legislation and you think “Oh Wow”

The bottom line is his Daddy finances his campaign and the guy is DUMB as dirt. Spend some time around the Capitol, there’s a lot of them like him wandering around.

• polisavvy says:

@SFrazier: Just what I would expect you to say. Deal and Cagle = Pot and Kettle.

As far as dumb as a rock goes, well, after hearing him speak (without sounding rehearsed with the same old canned responses), I can honestly say that Representative Scott is anything but dumb. He’s smart like a fox. His track record proves that he is conservative. His ethics are above reproach; too, bad some of the other candidates can’t say the same thing.

• Republican Lady says:

Deal + Cagle = Pot + Kettle. Priceless Poli, priceless.

Someone posted that Deal and Scott are from the same area. Somehow, I don’t think that is true. As I recall, Deal is from Gainesville. Isn’t Scott from Athens? Or Macon maybe?

• Jeff says:

Deal is known for being from North Ga – Hall county area.

Scott is known for being from South Ga – Tifton area.

In politics, perception is reality. 😉

• Republican Lady says:

But doesn’t he live in Gainesville now which is in the 9th? Did he go to the Macon Mercer or the Dekalb County Mercer? Or both? Where do you stand on the Cagle/Scott issue?

You had some great posts recently and I was going to comment but now, I don’t remember where they were. They had that dry, edgy wit that took me some time to understand and appreciate. My other computer died and I haven’t had time to look for them.

• Jim Bob says:

I get that alot “sometime to understand and appreciate” 🙂

Deal does live in G’ville, but he is originally from Sandersville then went to Macon Mercer.

I think I am coming down on the Scott side.

• Republican Lady says:

Well, you have won me over, or should I say that?

One of your post was about the 11 worst governors. Do you remember where you saw that?

• polisavvy says:

Actually, he’s from Ashburn which is located approximately 25 miles north of Tifton. That would work out to be approximately 210 miles from Gainesville.

• polisavvy says:

Thanks RL! If I understand it correctly, Deal grew up in South Georgia and went to the original Mercer in Macon; but, he has lived most of his life in the Gainesville area.

• BuckheadConservative says:

Austin is a smart guy. His problem (probably also one of his biggest strength) is he talks like George W Bush. Very blunt, direct.

• Aggressive Opinion says:

@SFrazier, for someone who is a big Deal supporter, you should be pleased this isn’t an article bringing up your favorite candidates many indiscretions. Let’s say if, and that’s BIG if, Deal does win the nomination, you better pray like hell Scott qualifies for the governor’s race, because two candidates for the top two jobs from the same geographical location doesn’t bode well for one of the two on a statewide level. The voters of Georgia do not want a Governor and Lt. Governor from practically the same town. I understand you probably have a hometown connection, but being a commentator on Peach Pundit, you should be a bit more politically astute than that.

• Magaroni says:

Scott uttering canned responses?

Well, if his policy points — in which he uses concrete words like GEFA and GARVEE — are canned, at least it is a can of substance.

Nach, I think he’s so into policy that it’ll bite ‘im in the butt. People don’t want to have to research things they’ve never heard of. And if 5% of his audience where I heard him mention GEFA & GARVEE know what those two acronyms mean, I’ll eat an appropriations bill tracking sheet!!

4. Mozart says:

“We all know that Cagle is not popular here and that many legislators, lobbyists, and creatures of the Gold Dome talk and whisper about the details that happened once Casey took office”

The Password is…{ding!} “here.” As in, in the pontificating and petulant threads of Peach Pundit. Also Known As “Not Relevant to Anything in The REAL World of Life.”

But, Tyler, to answer your obvious question, I visit and read the blog to get my daily exposure to pure, unadulterated idiocy. You folks and this blog are like a bottom-line standard in which to compare everything else that goes on in my work and personal life. If stuff happens in my daily life that just sucks, I know I can always get cheered-up by visiting PP and witnessing the crap that passes for “value” on here.

Thank you for living-up, on a daily basis, to that bottom-line standard.

• polisavvy says:

If Peach Pundit is to terribly offensive to you, then why do you jump on here everyday? I usually avoid things that annoy or bother me. Just curious.

• Mozart says:

As I clearly stated, Poli, in the 3rd paragraph:

• polisavvy says:

Unlike some posters on here, when I am wrong or have read something incorrectly, I will be the first to admit I was wrong. For that, I apologize. Unfortunately, I do find that sometimes (not all the time), some posters on here are actually knowledgeable and very well read; therefore, some of the posts are very informative. Do I agree with everything that everyone says on here, absolutely not? I just ignore those comments and move on. I don’t criticize Peach Pundit — I just move on to the next comment.

I am glad it is a source of entertaining or “cheering” for you. There are days that I feel the same way you do — I have to admit it. Some days Pundit is quite entertaining. Other days quite informative.

5. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

Okay..Just assign a date that each of you do a Cagel Scott post.

🙂

* Buzz Brockway
    * Chris Farris
    * Clayton Wagar
    * DecaturGuy
    * Erick Erickson……………Done
    * Icarus………………………..Done
    * Jason Pye
    * Jeff Emanuel
    * Pete Randall
    * Tyler ………………………….Done

6. redrock says:

Wow – you guys really have a hard on for Austin Scott.

No way, you mean to tell me he sponsored a bill to shut down the toll booth on 400? That’s true leadership!

You know, he probably did that because he lives in Atlanta and was sick of paying the 50 cents each way. Everyone knows he “represents” Tift County from Atlanta.

• TrueConservative says:

That explains his Clinton like abortion policy of reducing abortions rather than eliminating them.

• polisavvy says:

Exactly what do you mean by “Clinton like abortion policy?” He has been endorsed by Georgia Right to Life. That should answer any questions that anyone has about Representative Scott’s view of abortion.

7. ZazaPachulia says:

I still want Austin as my governor…

I prefer to see him stand in front of Ox / Deal / Barnes / Handel /Johnson, not behind them.

• Jeff says:

The reality of the situation is that in Georgia, the Governor is roughly on an equal power status with the Lt Governor and Speaker of the House, with the SLIGHT edge going to the Governor.

If Austin can’t be Governor (and it just doesn’t look like that will happen right now) and doesn’t have the juice in the House to make a play for Speaker, Lt Gov would be a good fit for him – and a battle that, while intense, may just be winnable.

• AnyoneElse2010 says:

Actually that is not a correct answer. Austin owns his own business and as far as I know has never worked for his father. Besides how could any “True Conservate” fault his father for working hard and providing for his family whether it be with a job or anything else. And all this absurdity about his father bankrolling his campaign is stupid. I don’t think his father is exempt from the fundraising ceiling.

• polisavvy says:

His dad is a surgeon. Representative Scott has his own insurance business. His dad doesn’t sell insurance and Representative Scott does not do surgery. So, in a word — NO!

8. Georgia Judge says:

You guys are unbelievable and lose credibility by the day,but at least you send out different faces to make the the repetitive absurd comments.

9. Georgia Judge says:

Forgot to mention as have you guys that Scotts Consultant resigned last week because of this non-sense of running against a very popular sitting LG.I also hear that the multi-tude of Republican leaders Scott went to visit regarding this, had the same response and it went like are you serious?????

Austin, do what you said you were going to do this morning and save yourself an embarrassing defeat and early end to your Political career.

10. BuckheadConservative says:

Whatever his final decision, Austin’s gonna do what he thinks is right. Maybe not the most popular or political thing, but what he feels is in the best interest of the state and the party. That’s what I like about the guy.

11. Georgia Judge says:

Buckhead,
    I hope you are right and if thats the case he will stay in Gov’s race or challenge Marshall.I know he and Westmorland had a conversation about running against Marshall yesterday and Lyn thinks its a good strategy but no committments were made.The income limits in Congress will probably be an issue in this decision for Scott.

If he gets in LG race he hasnt helped the Party a bit,but rather taken cash off the table for other State-wide candidates ,because Cagle will have to turn on his fund raising machine in earnest and he has the ability to raise better than any of the Gov candidates.He will not have helped himself either as he will get absolutely crushed,and may not even be able to carry Tift from what the local players are saying and will have ended his options in the political game in Georgia.

• AnyoneElse2010 says:

I’m beginning to think that the rumor about Casey and the intern was wrong. Sounds to me like it was Casey and the Georgia Judge.

• polisavvy says:

I agree with you. I am also still trying to figure out how this person seems to know so much about a campaign. It does make you wonder.

12. HowardRoark says:

Why is no one else concerned about Casey’s health? Remember that terrible neck injury that basically forbode him from running a vigorous primary and ended his guv run? Austin Scott and then Carol Porter? I worry about the schmuck. I really do.

13. Georgia Judge says:

Anyone,
    Very mature comment, Im assuming your off for highschool spring break and interveiwing for front page posting here at PP.
    Poli,
    a little truth to go with this constant BS is warranted dont you think??

• polisavvy says:

Exactly what truth are you talking about? The truth that I am behind Austin Scott and you obviously aren’t? I didn’t know that we were not supposed to voice our support of candidates on here. I am just curious as to how you seem to always “know” exactly what is going on with this particular campaign and not so much with any of the others. Could you possibly work on this campaign? Just curious.

14. Actually, all of the posts from Erick and Icarus on this subject thus far have been focused on the “pro-Scott” aspect. They’ve been strangely focused on the “pro-Scott” aspect almost exclusively. Other than passing references to a hospital bed tax, Cagle hasn’t been mentioned much at all. Even that hospital thing is pretty inside-baseball… I must have been away from PP for a week or so at some point, because I don’t really know what that issue is about and nobody’s going into depth on it in these “pro-Scott” posts.

I’d actually LIKE to hear some “anti-Cagle” arguments. Because the only halfway-credible argument I’ve heard yet for throwing out a party’s own incumbent is that there’s the risk of a certain scandal coming to light in the general election. If that discussion isn’t on the menu at this point in time… then how about we hear real, substantive, and detailed arguments about why Cagle should go, other than simply saying he’s not as “nice a guy” as Scott?

• Jeff says:

Sick Tax. Party over Principle.

An insider thing is that at one point last year he blatantly exposed his hypocrisy in telling Steve Thompson one day that he could not rule on the constitutionality of an issue when the issue went against what the Republicans (including, apparently, Cagle) wanted, and the very next day he ruled on the constitutionality of an issue when the constitutionality question was in favor of what the Republicans (again, including – apparently – Cagle) wanted.

I couldn’t tell you exactly what the issue in question is right now, but it was one of the first times SWGAPolitics.com was ever referenced in a front page post on this illustrious forum, so the issue in general was pretty memorable to me. 😀

• reaganrev4 says:

Steve, I dont think any of the front-page posters have ever been accused of have the betterment of the GA GOP at heart. All I ever read on here seems to be to tear apart the GA GOP at its core. If I were to just stumble upon this website I would be under the impression that the GA Dem party were the most ethical guys in all of politics!

Everyone spare me the why do you keep posting on here if you think its so terrible…i guess you could liken it to a disastrous car wreck…you can’t help but watch the entire time

• reaganrev4 says:

And Jeff, I usually enjoy reading all your posts, and every says it so I dont mean to direct this at you.
        But the whole party over principle thing doesn’t make sense to me. All of your principles are supposed to be included in your party. I am a conservative republican because i agree with the *principles* of that party so I don’t have problems with agreeing with the party if they follow our true *principles*. I wouldn’t go along in support of any liberal *principles* because they are all wrong. lol. So, could you elaborate for me, I ask you because the other people I hear say it follow it with asinine remarks

15. Georgia Judge says:

Poli,
    The truth of which I speak is that there is no groundswell of support urging Scott to get in the LG race but rather a small group of people who have their own agenda’s and interest in mind.I have nothing against Scott and think he would probably be a better Gov than most of the ones that are running.I think him entertaining this nonsense of running against Cagle is costing him in the credibility department in a large way and I dont think continueing down this road is healthy for his political career.

• polisavvy says:

I believe that Representative Scott’s decision, whatever it ends up being, will be HIS decision. He is not a puppet boy. Anyone who actually knows Representative Scott knows that. I guess I just don’t understand why some are so opposed to him running for LG, but think he’s better than “most of the ones that are running” for Governor. He will lose no credibility should he decide to run against Cagle. Cagle has a problem that Representative Scott does not have — Cagle will have an “I” next to his name. There are a lot of people who will do anything to avoid voting in an Incumbent. Anti-Incumbent voters are a large block.

• polisavvy says:

As an aside, Judge, you are wrong. Everyone that Scott has met with thinks he can beat the pants off Cagle (no pun intended). The groundswell for Austin is very real and since Cagle pays you the big bucks, you should get to work on revising that list of supporters he released. Start with the Sheriff if Tift, who practically raised Austin. There are many names on that list that have already told Austin they will support him for LG, should he decide to enter the race.

16. Georgia Judge says:

Poli,
    The reason the majority of people are oppossed including the ones Scott met with is we have a very popular LG who is running for re-election.Why put the party through a costly Primary when campaign funds are going to be tighter than normal already,in a race that is going to be completely one sided. I disagree with you on the credibility factor greatly but respect your opinion,and we will just have to see how this plays out.

• polisavvy says:

I guess we will just have to wait and see, that’s for sure. He hasn’t even qualified but is certainly being crucified.

17. slyram says:

Let me tell you what Scott looks like from the moderate African American standpoint: he is young and smart like Rubio and Obama. The Tifton area Blacks like him and/or his father. The flag vote (which I don’t care about) would sound courageous and could be a benefit in November. The guy calls President Obama “our President” –albeit that is likely hard for him to say, he does the decent thing and says it.

In congressional races, it is as much about having an opponent. Mrs. Hicks or Mr. Scott might be that opponent for those seeking to protest vote against Marshall for no votes on big Dem items. However, if the option is someone scary, Marshall is just fine because Blue Dog voices add balance to Democrat caucus meetings. In that regard, Marshall could be one of the most important Dems in the nation and should have been priority one for the GOP.

If Ray Boyd won’t sign a pledge, someone should ask Marshall to pledge not to switch if the Red Team is a seat or two away from taking the House.

Sometimes you need to take one for the team.