Ray Boyd out as a Republican; looking to run as an Independent

The Republican Party of Georgia was successful in keeping Ray Boyd (website) from qualifying his run for governor after he refused today to sign their loyalty oath.

He provided an interesting reason why he thought he was refused:

Boyd, meanwhile, blamed the dust up on Gov. Sonny Perdue, whom he claims has “annointed Karen Handel to be governor. He must think this is the best way to get her there.”

Boyd is now looking to run as an Independent. Smooth job, Georgia Republican Party. Now you’ve guaranteed it to be that much harder for a Republican to win in November.

1. Doug Deal says:

An independent candidate does nothnig but increase the chances of a Republican winner in November.

However, as stupid as the pledge is, the state GOP has it in their bylaws and they have to enforce it. Of course, one could challenge the judgement of the state board for keeping it in there in the first place, as it has no actual power to anyone willing to lie when they sign it (e.g. most of the people who run for office).

• … as it has no actual power to anyone willing to lie when they sign it (e.g. most of the people who run for office).

Since, GOPGA made it is abundantly clear that it was the “Law” to sign the oath in order to run with an “R” beside your name… now, (after what DD just said) I’m just wondering why we couldn’t PROSECUTE those that don’t adhere to the Oath… at least civil-ly HA! … it could be a way (and means) to fund their own tax hikes and government growth!

• Doug Grammer says:

My party uses an oath from the OCGA. Your party uses one from it’s national platform. Which is more legal?

• Doug… ahh, you changed your name… smartest move you’ve made yet for the GA GOP.

However,… don’t know why I keep trying to get through to you, but maybe this will help… last attempt.

~~~way back time machine~~~~

person A: Even if one believes one race is superior to another, slavery is wrong!

Things can be legal and still be WRONG! And even though some argue whether having or not having an oath is an issue here… but what most have been trying to get you and the State GOP, Status Quo, Party before Principle , just look how we behaved during the Bush years and continue in this years GA legislative session leadership to understand is that having an oath to an entity instead of an oath of/to principles is wrong. Especially when the majority of that party’s elected members aren’t adhering to the rhetorical principles they espouse.

You can be soooo THICK!

I’m done here…. at least Mr. Ray Boyd seems to be able to stick to his principles.

• dj says:

I tried to get through to Doug Grammer as well, to no avail…I have no concept as to how one can be so closed minded…not to mention so strategically challenged…it’s absurd!!!

• dj says:

Let me clarify that last post…clearly I support Ray Boyd, but if I didn’t, and I was Doug Grammer, I would have done everything I could have to accomodate Ray’s request re the oath issue. Do they even realize what they have done to themselves? I’m amazed at the lack of apptitude in the GA GOP, which is why I am so happy Ray Boyd is here!!!

• hannah says:

Obedience is commandment one. How can you demonstrate obedience except by doing something you don’t want to?
              What’s the reward for obedience? Freedom.
              “Obedience to the law is freedom.”
              Freedom from what? Freedom from responsibility for one’s actions. The obedient person is guaranteed to be always right, regardless of the outcome of a particular endeavor. Or, to put it another way, being obedient means never having to be wrong.
              The religious right are simply obedient to the bible, rather than secular law.

• Doug Grammer says:

You realize that I have absolutely zero to do with qualifying to run for statewide office right? If you want to accommodate someone who doesn’t want to play by the rules, possibly because if you are afraid of him, his money, or just don’t like the rules, be my guest. I wouldn’t change the rules just for one person, even if I could have, and to clarify, I couldn’t.

…..not the brighest guy I have ever enchanged a comment with.

• Doug Grammer says:

I think you are smoking what you want to be legal. I will agree with you on some things. Your quote: “Things can be legal and still be WRONG!”

I think you are legal….

I am personally outraged that you would imply that I think that slavery is condoned anywhere, anytime. The rest of your post I will chalk up to bong hits.

• dj says:

Help your buddy Doug Grammer out…even with Daniel being “stoned” and me being “smashed” we still outsmart him…he doesn’t know when to stop!

• I’d ask the same of you, with the comment about DNA smoking something just because you disagree with his viewpoint. I agree with him but have no intention of smoking pot when it eventually becomes legal *again*. I do agree with it’s legalization, but that doesn’t mean I’d smoke it. It’s legal to go deer hunting, but you won’t find me out there doing it. But there’d be a riot if we outlawed deer hunting in this state.

• Doug Grammer says:

I was trying to give him an out because he was bringing up slavery. I’d rather be a stoner than a racist or even before I called someone a racist who clearly isn’t, but I’m not going to be a stoner either. If you can give me a better reason of why he was implying that I or my family is racist, I’m willing to listen.

• I don’t see where he called you a racist at all. He was simply using a historical situation (slavery in general, probably not actually meaning to imply you specifically) to explain his point that just because something is legal doesn’t make it right. He was comparing your line of thinking that “something is legal so it must be right” with that of slave owners many years ago. Perhaps it could have been worded differently, but I don’t think his intent was to imply that you or your family are racist.

• Doug Grammer says:

Perhaps not, but there was no need to use my name in that way if that was his point.

“A descendent of Doug Grammer, aka GOPGA : But whites owning blacks is legal (we made sure of that)… blacks owning whites, isn’t.”

2. Icarus says:

I just finished a similar post, but Pete was faster on the draw.

Aaron Sheinin had an earlier interview with Boyd saying he wasn’t going to spend his $2 Million on ads, and wasn’t (at least yet) hiring a consultant.

Should he figure out how to effectively deploy his $2 Million, I have to agree with Pete. It’s $2 Million of a negative hit that the candidates on the GOP side would have rather absorbed in the primary and not the general election.

I also think this is problematic for more than the governor’s race. Boyd can alert independent voters that wouldn’t be paying attention in June and July to the myriad of mis-steps and ethical lapses that have occured under past and current Republican leadership. This could effect a lot more than the Governor’s race.

3. macho says:

The GOP did not “keep” Ray Boyd from running in their Primary; Ray Boyd managed to do that all by himself. This has to be the most idiotic issue raised in a very long time. If Ray is going to make his stand over this inconsequential pledge, one can only imagine the stupidity that will follow.

The guy spoke at a candidate debate in Roswell, was asked about Milton County, and had no idea what the question was about. Seriously, you’re running for Governor and hadn’t heard about this issue? You made all of your money in commercial real estate in Sandy Springs for Pete’s sake. I realize you’re a little behind, and wouldn’t expect you to know the intricacies of some complex issues, but this one has been out there for a while Maybe you should Google some of the major issues going through the Legislature; just a thought. What was the Founding Father’s original intent for the Internet.

I’m getting the impression that the two Ray’s want to endlessly talk about the 10th amendment, but every once in a while you have to step back and remember there is a governing aspect to being Governor.

• Icarus says:

I can’t argue with your assessment of Ray, but I still believe he’s going to be a factor. The man hasn’t spent a dime yet, and he’s already getting more earned media than any of the other candidates.

• macho says:

I couldn’t agree with you more, with $2 million, in the Primary or in the General, he’ll be a factor. The GOP probably would be better off dealing with his antics during the Primary, but I don’t think it’s a rule that can be unilaterally or arbitrarily broken.

• Chris says:

Ox and Deal are getting plenty of earned media, and will get even more when the indictments drop.

• dj says:

Because Ray Boyd is just that brilliant…pay attention, he knows how to get things done!!!

• macho says:

Here is a fairly astounding note from the article, “Boyd, who has worked in north Fulton for 35 years…” Yet, he has no idea that there is an idea to break North Fulton off into Milton County.

4. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Welcome back Mr. Barnes. Does the Republican party not realize that there are a lot of Republican voters totally disenchanted with the Party? This is probably the worst thing that could have happened for the party. He’s going to beat Sue Everhart, and the OX over the head with this in November. He might not win, but he’ll take enough votes away from OX.

He’ll probably point out the silliness of such an Oath when others are committing DUIs, sleeping with lobbyists, raising taxes, etc…

A candidate like him resonates with voters who do not read PP like us.

• macho says:

I think he probably will try to beat the GOP over the head with “the oath,” because he clearly hasn’t even spent a couple of hours of his time researching the current issues before the Georgia Legislature and the current Governor. His campaign will be about oaths and the 10th amendment, but nothing too specific that would require a little effort. The only person that will look silly over not signing the “oath” is Ray Boyd.

Although this now puts McBerry in a box, because this issue is right up his alley, but it was so unnoticeable and inconsequential, that McBerry never previously though of it. Does McBerry join Boyd’s quixotic campaign against the “oath?”

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Since when have GA voters elected informed candidates? I admit, I might be wrong since it will be very difficult for him to get on the ballot for November. But I’m very curious to see how this plays out.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“because this issue is right up his alley”

The only thing right up McBerry’s alley are high school sophomores.

In the timely words of Walter Sobchak, ” . . . he had to go door to door to tell everyone he was a pederast.”

5. seekingtounderstand says:

Enough of us have had it with Republicans crooks, Dems will win in November. Boyd will draw the conservative, libertarian vote away from KH, who is not making a big splash and Perdues pushing her actually hurts her chances.
    Welcome Governor Barnes!!!!

6. Bucky Plyler says:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the Ga. Grand Ole’ Party..
    and to the state bi-laws for which it stands..
    One team, under fire, unable to clean up it’s act…
    Trying to elect a Democrat…

7. Tireless says:

How exactly is this nutball the republican’s fault? They ask a one sentence question and the fool isn’t willing to answer it. This guy isn’t Ross Perot, he’s Perot’s running mate, James Stockdale.

• John Konop says:

Tireless, Mach and Doug

If he is a “nutball” than what does say about you guys since he has done a lot better in his career than you guys! I know very little about Ray Boyd and his political positions. And I am sure we have agreements and disagreements on different issues. But, for you guys to show a lack of respect for his accomplishments demonstrates your lack of knowledge.

If you spent more time focusing on your own career and less time spewing hate you might make it like he did!

• Tireless says:

We aren’t voting for “Real Estate Mogul of the Century”, we are voting for the Governor of the State. This guy knows NOTHING about the job he says he is the only guy qualified to have. Give me a break with the net worth crap.

• John K, … you should give up trying to get through to guys like this… just look at how disrespectful they were and are to Vice Admiral James Stockdale

If Doug keeps this up I’m going to have to have our operations director cut and send him a check for LPGA membership recruitment. (Actually, I really do appreciate that and hope he does keep it up.)

• Doug Grammer says:

Want to make a friendly wage that no one from your party running under party Id cracks 7%? And I’ll take the money…

• Doug Grammer says:

That DNA makes more money than me or Boyd? Neither matter to me. I don’t use money to measure how rich I am. I have my friends and family to remind me of how well off I am. I use money to measure how wealthy a person is, not how rich they are. I don’t care how much money you, DNA or Boyd has. Money doesn’t make you right…and it says something about you to think that it does.

• Doug Grammer says:

He has a lack of knowledge on how to qualify for Governor as a Republican. I’m not trying to buy property from him, I’m deciding who to vote for. Can’t follow the law or wants special treatment = not getting my vote.

8. KempforAg says:

I guess he should have gone on the GAGOP retreat to Hawaii, then he would be qualified to run as a Republican.

9. Three Jack says:

incredible! my simple suggestion to mr. boyd; use your $2m to become the first statewide tea party candidate. i’d bet that the signature requirement would be met before the ink dries on your qualifying check.

the gop deserves to lose every race if the leadership is going to prevent qualified, conservative business leaders from running over a silly ass oath of allegiance to the same party that failed its members.

mr. boyd, one other suggestion…save a few dollars to make sure you can promote someone with common sense as the next gop chairman.