Hartwell, Georgia Mayor Jennifer Sudderth does her level best to embarrass her city

Jennifer Sudderth (pictured), the Mayor of Hartwell, has had an interesting few months since being elected to that post. Shortly after the election, Sudderth was arrested for DUI in South Carolina where she allegedly tried to the use the power of her office to get out of trouble. Those charges are still pending.

Now, Sudderth is causing a big stink in Hart County because her teaching contract was not renewed for the next school year. Oh, I didn’t mention that Mayor Sudderth, with her pending DUI charges, is also a school teacher? Well, around April 14 Sudderth started throwing out her venomous accusations.

“I was not at all surprised. [Hart County High School principal Eulin] Gibbs and [Hart County Schools superintendent Dr. David] Hicks have a history of violating Department of Labor Laws,” said Sudderth in an e-mail to The Hartwell Sun that she confirmed. “I just called them on it and this is their way to retaliate.”

Sudderth charged Gibbs with discrimination.

“His discrimination against students and certain faculty have been anything but subtle,” she wrote.

By April 22, as the Hartwell Sun reported, Gibbs was directly refuting Sudderth’s baseless allegations.

“Discrimination is defined as unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice,” said Gibbs. “I do not practice nor have I been found guilty of discrimination by any official agency or organization in my entire career. I will let my record of service to the students, parents and community of Hart County speak for itself.”

But now she is resurrecting additional allegations that also have been proven baseless, all because her pride was wounded in losing her job.

The newest allegations relates to this story from more than nine months ago where the parents of a disabled Hart County boy said that their son was attacked on the school bus by a bus monitor. Both the GBI and the Hart County District Attorney’s Office said they found no evidence of criminal wrongdoing after their investigation. That doesn’t stop the good Mayor’s vendetta against her soon to be former employer, though! Behold the latest e-mail missive from Her Honor sent into the Tip Line.

From: [email protected]#########.###

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:07:43 +0000 (UTC)

To: [redacted]
Cc: [redacted]

Subject: For Your Information – NOT in this CITY!!!!!

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

It is with a truly heavy heart that I come to you this morning. I realize this occurred before I took office as Mayor; but, I find it VERY disturbing that I have heard not WORD ONE of this travesty! This took place WITHIN THESE CITY LIMITS!!!! Take one minute – just one – close yours eyes and think of your child – YOUR child (or grandchildren or a child period!). Imagine that child you love so is the child shown in the attached video.

I will let you all know from the beginning – This is not about “vendettas” or “good-ole boys” – This is about a child’s life, a child whose parents put their trust in a school district inside our city limits ( and their trust in this city as well) and this was the result. Yet, we (or at least I) hear nothing of this. I am, today, mortified, that this (and its cover-up) was allowed to occur! I am ashamed of this city today and I am ashamed to have worked for three years for a superintendent that allowed this to happen. Each year, ALL educational professionals must acknowledge their responsibility to report even suspected cases of child abuse so, “I didn’t know” doesn’t work! I SINCERELY hope and pray that I can gain the cooperation of all city officials to see that justice is done by this precious little boy. Please do not tell me “I don’t understand the situation.” I am trained and hold an advanced degree in Mental Health Counseling Psychology. I am fully knowledgeable of the DSM IV TR and all symptoms and diagnosis. I have worked with these children and the behavior shown IS NOT IN ANY MANNER acceptable treatment of a child UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! It is flat out ABUSE! I am so repulsed that this occurred in these city limits and yet no one said a word that I can barely keep my hands from shaking as I write this to you. I PLEAD with you to help me bring justice for this child! I will not have my tenure as Mayor involve acceptance of the disgusting treatment this child received or the silence of individuals WHO very well know what took place, yet said nothing – EXAMPLE – The school district was quoted as saying “We found no wrong-doing.” Seriously???????? Imagine – this is YOUR child – YOUR grandchild. Just think for a minute!!!!!! Put all petty little differences aside and put the rights of this child first – as you would a child you love.

foxcarolina.com/news/20397205/detail.html

youtube.com/watch?v=QyTfOnPLnSM

If you can’t click on these – type them in Manually…..

Pleadingly,
Mayor Sudderth

Jennifer S. Sudderth, MSMHC
Mayor/City of Hartwell
500 E. Howell St.
Hartwell, GA 30643
706-436-9310

This is also the same Mayor who thinks her own city (and, thus, her own constituents) is filled with racial division and “close-mindedness”. And cursed be the fool who dares to terminate the employment of Her Honor while she is facing criminal charges in another state.

Just four months into her term of office and Mayor Sudderth is making Hartwell proud each and every day. At this pace, Hartwell will soon dethrone Lithonia as the city with the most embarrassing leadership.

1. Republican Lady says:

“I am trained and hold an advanced degree in Mental Health Counseling Psychology.”

I would hope that someone with a master’s degree (you said advanced degree so I am interpreting that as a master’s) would come across as more logical and more together. Based on the emotional tone of your letter and the fact that you are not responsible enough to not drink and drive, I feel the Board of Education was probably justified voting to terminate your position. Based on the emotional tone of your letter, it is probably a blessing that you did lose your post.

2. Republican Lady says:

I am assuming, based on your advanced degree comment, that you have a master’s in the above discipline, however, the emotional ramblings of your letter do not confirm your statement. Based on the emotional tone of your letter and the fact that you are not responsible enough to not drink and drive, I feel the Board of Education was probably justified in you losing your position. Based on the emotional tone of your letter, it is probably a blessing that you did lose your post. I would not want the children I know to be in your classroom. I think the citizens should consider a recall of your position and vote for someone more responsible.

3. macho says:

Only thing that drives more nuts than when black people play the race card is when white people play it; it reeks of desperation.

4. Republican Lady says:

If you are irresponsible enough to drink and drive, I would not want you around any kids I know. Looks like the Board of Education made a sound decision in relieving you of your position and it appears the citizens electing you should consider a recall and fill your mayoral position with someone more responsible.

• Republican Lady says:

I apologize to all the posters regarding my double posts. I have a computer flaw that I thought was fixed but obviously, it isn’t. Back to the drawing board.

5. Republican Lady says:

I am having a hard time believing you are serious. You said you have an advanced degree in Mental Health so with that comment, I have to assume you have a master’s. Maybe you need to go back and study your notes because all I hear is you playing the “it’s not my fault” blame game.

6. rightbeforeleft says:

Not defending the Mayor here, as there are obviously MANY other things involved in her situation, but is one DUI really a serious disqualifier of an individual’s credibility? I am sure that all of you are of course totally and completely above reproach in this regard, but I invite you to consider the reality that a standard DUI conviction is more of an odds game than a criminal act. Even as, again, you surely have never driven after having more than 2 alcoholic beverages in a two hour period, it is incredibly likely that someone you love/respect/admire (if not many such folks) has done it often. Particularly considering that your parents likely did it every time they drank in their youth based on changes in tolerance of this act over the decades.

This is very much a glass houses/throwing stones issue and I hope that those of you who find this action so reprehensible and criminal are immediately pulled over and jailed the next time you have a couple of beers at the Braves game and drive home. The punishment for this offense (fines, fees, criminal record, driving restrictions, classes, counseling) fits the crime, be fair and realize that this happens to everyone, even our dear 43rd President has one conviction and the conservative lion of the past administration, Dick Cheney, has two such convictions.

Were you in a judgmental kerfluffle over those three convictions 10 years ago, honestly? Lay off the MADD punch and get real, nearly everyone in America has/does driven/drink under the influence, but an unlucky few are caught in the act. Consider the odds and your own luck before denigrating others for theirs.

• B Balz says:

Well said.

I dunno why Pete has such an obsession with this woman. I mean it took a bit of digging to gen-up the first post, but then to have the affair on a tickler file for a follow-up post seems a bit over the top.

Yet, we cannot be too careful, it’s for the children.

• Republican Lady says:

I disagree with the “everybody does it” but the DUI was a small part of my post. I would think that someone with an advanced degree in “Mental Health Counseling Psychology” would be able to write a more concise letter without having to mention how much she is “shaking as she writes.” I think it is safe to say we all have emotional moments but most of understand that people will take one more seriously if the emotion is toned down when presenting a point of view.

7. bowersville says:

Excerpt from an open letter taken from the City of Hartwell website:

“It has been my honor and pleasure to welcome you and share with you a small glimpse of our town.” Mayor Jennifer Suddereth, Mayor of Hartwell.

At some point, one has to entertain the idea of personal responsibility and culpabilty of ones own actions. Beginning with the DUI arrest in Greenville, Mayor elect Suddereth did not take any responsibility for her actions. In the mayor’s own words “It’s a mis-understanding.” I strongly suggest that is has never been legal nor right to drive while under the influence of alcohol. If there is any mis-understanding, it is on the part of the mayor. Mayor elect status does not exempt Mayor Suddereth from the same DUI laws that we commoners are subjected to. Just like the rest of us, the Mayor will have her day in court.

The Mayor continues on an escapade of throwing bombs in all directions. The school administration, fellow teachers, the news media, the police in Greenville, the District Attorney in Hart County, the GBI, fellow citizens and the community as a whole.

Mayor Suddereth, I submit to you: If you wish to make Hartwell a better place for us all, start with the person in the mirror. I submit to others reading this post: Hartwell is a good place to live with fine citizens of small town America. Like any other town, we have our problems but overall we continually work towards the betterment of our community.

8. jss1217 says:

While I understand your points of view, and cannot say I wouldn’t necessarily have the same should I be in your shoes and didn’t know the entire person, I would submit to you to come and meet with me. Talk to me and understand who I am and who I am about. Embarrassment to the city? This city has long been an embarrassment to the state and country as a whole. We are over 50 years behind in many areas such as: racial equality, education for special needs children, progress in technology, and a basic understanding of human decency by some. There is much more to me than this redundant story – do you not think that surely something else would be written about me if there WERE something else? I sent the email about that precious little boy to a select few and now I can tell who thinks child abuse is a running joke. Why don’t you post your viewpoints on that case in a public area? It doesn’t make a bit of difference whether that case is 9 months old or 9 minutes old – a little boy was abused and, in an effort to keep the “Good Ole’ Boys” up and looking good, they brushed it under a table. Speaking out about child abuse, believing in equal rights for all people,not just a select few, and standing up for what is right is an embarrassment in you opinion – who are you – Adolf Hitler’s long lost brother? Did I make a mistake – sure, though not the way you’re assuming. Have you made a mistake? How about jumping to the conclusion that you know someone enough to make blanket statements and you haven’t even sat down to speak with the person. It’s easy to hide behind your keyboard, why don’t you come down and talk to me. Why don’t you ask the members of the Armed Services how they feel about what my LLC and Sen. Nelson (FL) and Sen. Martinez (FL) did for their buddies on the front line? Why don’t you ask the kids I have taught over the years if they’ve learned anything from me? I’ll tell you why – because you’re afraid someone isn’t going to agree with what you’re saying and , maybe, just maybe – you’ll find yourself alone in your thinking when you place yourself into a positive thinking forward moving group of people instead of these naysayers that are a dime a dozen today. Just sit around and complain – you’re helping so much. Why not get off your rump and go volunteer your whining time to a women’s shelter, or teaching someone to read, or picking up trash in your community? Embarrassment indeed – You’re an embarrassment to journalism with your assumptions (and quite clearly you’re defining ASSUME for all that its worth). These other people here that have their two cents worth – come talk to me, meet me, – I welcome you. And sure – respond to this all you want. I really don’t care – but sometimes, you have to remember you’re not in high school anymore and you need to get the information from the horse’s mouth and not from a friend from a friend on email. Heck, don’t just come see me – Get off your email junkie and go visit anybody – a warm blooded human – Try to help somebody and stop your whining.

9. zippo3227 says:

I know, Right? There is a D*A*R*E program in Hart County that talks about drugs and drinking and driving to the students, yet what we set to be a role model, a teacher, gets a DUI..and then goes on to tell SC that she was just voted in as Hartwell Mayor, why embarrass the town becasue you got caught DUI…If someone doesn’t drink yet they get DUI then what were they under the influence of?? And how many married City Officials text and call another man in a relationship ALL wkend?? Now how much can you talk to another man about City bussiness in text messaging?? Sun up til late late late into the night ALL wkend?? Why not pick up a phone and make a simple call to cover it all??? Where is the professionalism in that?? Then to bring in the school system; simply because she wasn’t mature, professional, or drama free enough to keep a teaching job..Here’s a REAL winner here!!! NOT!!!

10. zippo3227 says:

WOW; to someone that can’t even take the responsibilities to their own mistakes….yet prefer to place blame anywhere else!!! Asking people to get off their rumps: when, they’re on this same page as well…Sometimes you just need to be a mature woman, suck it up and realize the mistakes and issues you have among yourself and “try” to move forward….Why would one continously keep making the same mistakes within a community?? And embarrassing themselves and others?? Get off your rump, Mayor Jennifer and try to correct the mistakes you make for the goodness of the town you’re suppose to be representing!!!

11. hartwell says:

“I don’t know Karate , but I know crazy. ” James Brown
    True embarrassment to Hartwell. Please resign and take your ride off into the sunset with your countless accolades and advanced degrees. Just make sure to call a cab first.