Dr. Terry Oatts in Henry County Know Better Than You Rubes

A convicted felon who happens to be a rapper of note went to a middle school to talk.

The parents of one of the children complained that they thought the speaker was inappropriate and would have appreciated just some notice — you know like the school daring to tell parents who they are bringing in to talk to their kids.

The parent got a bit insulting and said the felon should have probably been out picking up litter, etc. to really inform the kids about life as a felon.

But Dr. Terry Oatts knows best. He’s the principal you see. He took a gratuitous dig at the former President of the United States and lectured the parents.

Parents of public school students, you see, have no right to know what goes on at Dr. Terry Oatts’s government school.

Oh, and in Dr. Oatts’s gratuitous dig at George W. Bush as a cocaine user — something Bush has never admitted or been proven — I bet Dr. Oatts would never make the same claim about Barack Obama, a man who actually admitted he used cocaine.

Doctor knows best.

1. griftdrift says:

Two adults act like idiots and because Torquemada knows exactly which buttons to push, we will now have endless wailing and gnashing about Bush/Obama/Race and whatever other hyperbolic histrionics can be thrown around like poo in a monkey cage.

Just another day in Erick-land

2. View from Brookhaven says:

Do any schools still use those old “Scared Straight” videos? Those were my favorite as a child.

3. ZazaPachulia says:

I, for one, find the principal’s childish retort rather funny.

Of course, my kids don’t go to Woodland. Dr. Oatts shouldn’t be taking that kind of tone with parents…

Still, I laughed.

• seekingtounderstand says:

Do you laugh at the way rappers treat woman in their music?
      Do you thinks its a good thing for your woman to hear?

4. Hope that school district isn’t pluggin for a millage rate increase this year. With that kind of condescending attitude toward parents, me thinks they could be in for a rude awakening. Also think the principal needs to take a remedial course in dealing with the people who pay his salary.

One more reason parents should consider the home school option.

• Ambernappe says:

Methinks that electing Roger Hines as State Superintendent of Education may eliminate such outbursts from school administrators. Not interfering with freedom of speech, but there are standards of integrity and propriety which should guide individuals engaged in such a vital connection with our children.

5. Progressive Dem says:

More red meat from red state. What’s the point?

And “government schools”. Puleeze. It is such a lame insult. What about the “government” military? Or the “government” police. Or the government “water system”. Or the government “roads”.

6. seekingtounderstand says:

Rappers have an reputation of violence and offensive remarks towards women. Why would a principal be so flippant when a parent asked a question about at least having the notification.
    I don’t want my kids being exposed to rap music at school and the principal seems to thinks its a joke. Does he care about his students or helping a brother out with community service.

7. Republican Lady says:

Does Oatts know more about our candidates than we do? He also said:

“Mr. Harris has never been convicted of homicide. We would not be able to adequately staff our states general assembly, our U.S. Congress or the executive branch of our government using your apparent standards.”

So I guess Mr. Oatts thinks that our states general assembly, our U.S. Congress, and the executive branch of our government is filled with convicted felons.. This may be true for his circle, but not for most.

8. BuckheadConservative says:

Terry Oats is obviously a prick. The father overreacted a bit (T.I.’s new game is trying to educate people to do the right thing, aka “Don’t do what I did”). But all I got out of this…I really wish T.I. had came to my school as a kid. All we got was the local weatherman.

9. John Konop says:

The hypocrisy is obvious. The broader issue is complicated. Like it or not rappers do have an influence on kids epically in lower income areas. And any positive message about staying in school from rappers should have a positive impact.

As a parent I am very conflicted because the tone and message of the music in general is way over the line in my opinion. Yet anyone who has teenagers knows that they have access to the music like it or not.

And my general tendencies are more on the libertarian side than on eliminating free speech. Yet by letting a rapper in school to speak are you not condoning the music? And I think that is the line that the school crossed in my opinion.

• ByteMe says:

That’s like saying that because you invited the President to your school to read “My Pet Goat” that you approve of his policies. Life isn’t quite so cut-and-dried.

10. DMZDave says:

TI was sentenced to public service and he certainly did the public a service by outing “Dr” Oatts as a complete idiot and he obviously confused his presidents. George Bush admitted being a drunk driver; Barack Obama admitted doing cocaine.

• Ambernappe says:

And wouldn’t it be interesting to know the last time that the President indulged – or has the last time occurred ? Something unusual is guiding his thought processes.

11. DMZDave says:

While “Dr” Oatts, offensive comments are painful evidence of a problem at Woodland Middle School, what is most important is his performance as a middle school principal. His school ranks 144th in Georgia for 2009 in 8th grade test performance and given what he has to work with relative to other Henry County middle schools, he appears to be underachieving (Woodlands federal poverty rate is 33 percent while other schools in Henry with higher federal poverty rates outperform Woodland). Again, I think the felon rapper he invited did indeed do the taxpayers, parents and children of Henry County a public service by turning a spotlight on Oatts. Anyone who would respond to a parent in such a flippant and disrespectful manner probably has a host of other issues – issues that may go a long way toward explaining his school’s poor performance relative to other schools in Henry County. Hat tip to Georgia Public Policy Foundation for printing a scorecard.

12. FallGuy says:

The jury is still out on how much T.I. has reformed. He just got out of prison and is not fully re-intergrated into society. His track record sucks, and this jerk of a principal should have known better.