Primary clearing in Senate’s 47th District

Former Braselton Mayor Pat Graham (website) withdrew from the Senate District 47 race today, saying she needs to care for her ailing parents.

Her withdrawal leaves three candidates for the seat now held by Ralph Hudgens (website) who is now running for Insurance Commissioner: Doug Bower (Twitter), Shane Coley (website | Facebook | Twitter) and Kelley Gary (website).

1. John Andrew says:

Shucks. I was thinking about voting for her.
    I guess I’m voting for Kelley Gary now. For once, we’ll have someone with a background in economics trying to fix our economy, instead of lawyers and farmers.

• John Andrew says:

I agree, ByteMe. What I was trying to say was this: what happens with these “economic recovery,” “stimulus,” and “jobs” bills is that the people writing them have very little, if any knowledge about economics. These kinds of bills usually don’t take effect until a recovery has already begun, and they’re usually full of pet projects for party leaders that are somehow supposed to fix the economy. Becuase Gary has studied economics, he might be able to influence how these kinds of bill are written for the better.

• McDawg81 says:

I think you would be surprised at the outcome of an economics debate between Coley and Gary. I’ve spent many hours discussing the same with Coley. I can only say it’s a shame I’m outside of the district for he is one candidate I would eagerly vote for.

• Republican Lady says:

I spoke with Gary at the Oglethorpe GOP Pancake event. He came across as very knowledgeable about the office and had some great ideas as I recall.

2. Howard Roark says:

It is a shame that the engineer is no longer in the race. Presently there are 3 engineers in the legislature. He is a proven champion of protecting taxpayers. As for now the citizens have the choice of a fringe, kook candidate, one with baggage which will surface in the near future or one from Oglethorpe county which no one takes seriously.

• IW says:

Careful what you call “fringe and kooky” – a lot of Americans may be very close to that “fringe” “kookiness”. After all that district does “cling to their guns and religion” pretty tightly. 🙂

And as for the “baggage” candidate – if it’s going to surface anyways why don’t you elaborate since you seem to have some knowledge or information that the rest of us don’t have?