How Not To Start Off A US Senate Campaign In Georgia

With a quote like this, courtesy of BlogForDemocracy:

Sometimes I want us to take a step back and look at us the same way our enemies see us…I want us to look at each other “the same way al Qaeda sees us”.

Not sure how the usually more astute Mr. Thurmond thought that would go over, but I’m thinking R. J. Hadley may have just moved a step up in the race to be the guy who loses to Johnny Isakson.

1. Annie Ethel says:

I’m very proud that I didn’t snicker, chortle or guffaw aloud when I read this during a meeting.

2. swgolde says:

I was at the speech. I will give you that it was not particularly the metaphor that I would have used, but you are not only taking the quote, but also the blog post by Ed out of context. He was not suggesting we look at each other as enemies, but, as was the theme of the speech he was delivering, that we need to look at one another as a common people, which our enemies do (in that they do not discriminate against who they kill, we should not discriminate against whom we call our countrymen and women).

That being said, Thurmond needs to hire a speechwriter, urgently, and stay far away from the far-fetched metaphors.

• Why not say something like, “Sometimes I want us to take a step back and look at us the same way God sees us.”

But I guess he’d lose Democrat votes if he mentioned God.

If he wanted to stay secular, then I’d probably have to say that our friends and allies see us as one people too. To them, we are also all just Americans.

3. Part-Time Atlanta says:

I agree Icarus. MT is usually more thoughtful when speaking to the press. It’s not often he puts his foot in his mouth but he did here.

4. Kellie says:

He sounds like Obama to me. Isn’t that what the liberals want? ~ For us to look at ourselves and realize we are the problem.

• hannah says:

Being aware of one’s own behavior seems to be a prerequisite for being situationally aware. What this liberal appreciates in other people is that they are self-directed and don’t rely on others to tell them what to do.
      However, awareness of others is not going by “looks,” since appearances are deceiving. Behavior tends to be a more reliable indicator.
      What Mr. Thurmond wants is probably not going to count for much. After all, he’s applying for a job; not hiring.

• macho says:

“people is that they are self-directed and don’t rely on others to tell them what to do.”

That sounds fairly conservative to me. Isn’t that the whole liberal mantra – relying on government to tell them what to do. From Obamacare to the increased regulation of our free markets, it’s all about Obama telling us what to do.

5. galiberal says:

While I think he could have used a better metaphor, his point was that the enemy doesn’t care about the divisions between Americans. They do not see black/white, straight/gay, male/female, rich/poor, they just see Americans.

Granted, not the best metaphor, but the quote does need context.

6. Game Fan says:

This type of objectivity is nothing new with American foreign policy. Expanding the “enemy” list is sorta new though. As far as “the enemy” it would help to define that and stick to it. That always helps, especially when we’ve got the upper hand militarily speaking, or would hopefully like to at least project that image. Since how they see us is important. What’s the point in them supporting American troops if our own goals and objectives keep changing and expanding? And speaking of “the enemy” what happened to that deck of cards? The ones with the 52 most dastardly terrorists from Al Qaeda?

7. fishtail says:

Homeboys in Athens say Thurmond will announce tomorrow that he has decided to NOT run for the US Senate.

• GOPGeorgia says:

RJ,

“Let the man get in there first! ”

Is that a little like let’s pass the health care bill so then when can tell you what’s in it?

Send video of the speech to put in context. If someone can’t put in better context, he’s left with his foot in his mouth and he’ll have a hard time running that way.

• swgolde says:

@GOPGeorgia
        First of all, there was no video taken at the event. This was the Keynote Speech at the YDG Convention. Legitimately, there were 120 people in there who all heard the same thing, so you can ask one of them, like me!

Second, if your “source” is Ed Hula posting a blog that, admittedly, does not know the whole quote (“Now I don’t remember the exact wording of the first sentence”) then we’ve got more issues to discuss, like the concept of “journalistic trustworthiness.” There’s a reason that the AJC is not running a headline story on this right now, and that might be part of it.

Then, if you actually continue to read the post, Ed says “Thurmond of course wasn’t saying he wants us to walk down the street and see potential pawns to murder for political ends. He was saying he wants us to see each other as Americans and Georgians, not black or white, rich or poor, Southerners or traitorous carpetbaggers.”

GOP- you really think this might dismantle a campaign? There’s no video to even prove that this quote happened, so maybe you’re making things up.

• GOPGeorgia says:

If there were 120 people who heard the same thing, how am I making things up? I read the whole link so there’s no need to repeat it. All I am saying is if it’s out of context, put it in context, and it would help if there were video to back up the verbiage.

Either he said I want us to look at each other “the same way al Qaeda sees us”. or he didn’t. If he did, it looks to me as if he has some ‘splain to do.

• swgolde says:

Well if you read the whole link, you would have seen the context. Would you like me to repeat it, or not? Ed Hula, in his infinite wisdom, provided the context. I apologize for not taking ravenous notes at the event, but I was enjoying a gala that I helped to plan.

As for the video, sorry we cannot turn back time and record it, but there just isn’t one.

• GOPGeorgia says:

All I think the average voter will hear is a US Senator candidate saying that we need to look at ourselves the way al qaeda sees us.

I didn’t put his foot in his mouth.

If he had a draft of his speech he made, he might try to cover himself that way. He’s getting into the big leagues. Everything he says will be looked at.

8. GOPGeorgia says:

Looks like Johnny is safe to me. I thought so before, but this makes me a little more sure.

• RuralDem says:

Let me be the first to say that I am surprised that you, out of all people, would think such a thing.

I’m sure many others will follow with their astonishment at such a surprising statement from you.

….

• GOPGeorgia says:

Rural,

Just out of curiosity, what part of GA do you live in? My area would be considered rural by some. Just wondering if we are neighbors.

9. macho says:

I’m going to be very curious as to what Thurmond does tomorrow. At some point it becomes “the boy who cried wolf.” First he was going to work for Obama, then he was going to run for L.G. and now he is supposed to be running for Senate. I get the fact that politicians like to float their names for other offices, it’s great free publicity. Nothing better than having a bunch folks speculate whether you’re going to make the big move.

But I’m wondering if there is a point where it can backfire and you come across as unreliable, Thurmond seems intent on pushing that threshold.

10. griftdrift says:

Yeah. A guy who competently ran one of the largest state agencies can be tagged as “unreliable”. Yep. He’s just a Forrest Gump like feather in the wind.