What’s Up? Open Thread

I’ve been out of state, apparently the other front page posters are either busy are just aren’t posting the exact topic that some of you think we should have devoted our free time to. We’re so sorry for that, and will be issuing you each a full refund.

If you have a topic you want discussed, post it here. Unless your name is Donna Locke. We already know Donna doesn’t like Mexicans and likes to threadjack all other threads to remind us of this, including one today. (Apparently Donna was posting her stuff on on Open Thread, so it was fair game. Still don’t care to discuss it here, however.)

So, for any other issue, talk away. For that issue, I think we’ve had enough of it for a while.

1. Mayonnaise says:

I know some good folks who are still volunteering on the McBerry campaign. I pray they will join up with a serious candidate. Yes, I support Eric Johsnon, but I wouldn’t care if they helped Karen or Austin. I just hate to see grassroot volunteers getting mixed up in a mess like this. McBerry needs to step down and stop embarrassing our party and our Faith. You sir are disqualified from being in a position of leadership within the government, party, or church. Stop lying and get right.

• AubieTurtle says:

Good Lord, what’s wrong with that guy? The phrase ‘The South will rise again’ doesn’t mean south of the belt.

• ByteMe says:

I posted a mention of it in another thread, but props to you Jeff for getting the story out there.

• Jeff says:

I honestly have NOT enjoyed writing them. But I AM dedicated to bringing out this entire story, and that means I will what I know, once I can confirm it. As of this moment, I def have at least two more issues to raise on this, and while I’m positive of a third issue, I am waiting until I can get someone to conclusively confirm it before I move on it.

2. drjay says:

can the rest of us discuss whether we like mexican or not?

cancun is a great restaurant here in town, and the actualcity was the site of two of our best vacations ever…

3. aquaman says:

If this is old news I apologize but can anyone confirm Jerry Keen has announced his resignation from the General Assembly?

4. Mozart says:

What if Donna Locke had been harping on how bad the Ox is? Would you have allowed…nay, encouraged her to speak-out all she wanted to on this Open Thread if she was yelling about John Oxendine?

5. Andre says:

I was looking at the adjournment resolution, and I am disappointed that the 39th day is scheduled for April 27.

For you Parrot Heads out there, April 27th is the same night of the Jimmy Buffett concert in Atlanta. I’m sorry, but if the legislature runs late that day I’m taking a trip to Margaritaville.

6. UGAalum says:

FVK YOU!

• Chris says:

And to get a new keyboard.

I think there is a federal grant he can use. Oh, nm he’s probably means-tested out.

• UGAalum says:

Ok – a bit over the top – sure.

But, today is the day folks. I just don’t get what I am supposed to get. Buffet is great, but nothing about taxes is. Am i just to write the check and say, “thank you sir, may I have another”?!

Think about it – half the country pays ZERO in income taxes. A a portion of those actually put no money in but receive money. It is nothin’ more than redistribution. You can’t spin it any other way. So, ultimately, this is about ideologies, which I guess are pointless to argue.

• Mozart says:

Have some more kids, get some more deductions, UGA.

Hurry, better start working on the baby-making…better yet, go adopt some since they will count towards 2010’s tax burden.

• UGAalum says:

Good point and that will come with time.

I guess my wife and I are being punished for being responsible and not having kids until we can fully afford them, unlike so many of the moochers and leechers out there – living off of you and me!

• polisavvy says:

UGAalum, I hate to tell you this but if you are waiting until you can actually afford to have kids, you may end up childless. We thought we could afford our two, then it hit. They cost a lot as babies; but, that’s nothing once the teen and college years come along. Go ahead and take the plunge. It will be the best “plunge” your ever took.

• benevolus says:

It could be worse. You could be a serf and work only for what the lord of the manor lets you have.

Let’s just take a survey. Do you have:
                – flat screen TV
                – another flat screen tv
                – computer
                – another computer
                – xbox or wii or playstation
                – iphone or blackberry
                – car other than a Hyundai Accent
                – house
                – bigger than 1200 s.f.
                – Netflix
                – what hobby? boat? season tickets? golf?
                – more than 3 pairs of shoes
                – decent jewelry for your sweetie
                – and being a UGA alum I’m betting you have one of those toilet paper rollers that plays the Bulldogs fight song.

• Game Fan says:

Well, um as a GA native who “doesn’t know a darned thing about GA politics”, uh, well, I just couldn’t resist this one…

Obama is not just using subliminal messages, but textbook covert hypnosis and neuro-linguistic
        programming techniques on audiences that are intentionally designed to sideline rational judgment and
        implant subconscious commands to think he is wonderful and elect him President. Obama is eloquent.
        However, Obama’s subconscious techniques are shown to elicit powerful emotion from his audience and
        then transfer those emotions onto him, to sideline rational judgment, and implant hypnotic commands that
        we are unaware of and can’t even consciously question.

• Chris says:

Erick can’t be seen in public around republicans or he’ll lose his job at CNN. It’s like drinking Pepsi while working for Coke, bad career move.

• Romegaguy says:

so when he made his NY 23 endorsement, Erick knew it would work to get a Democrat elected to Congress, thus securing his job with CNN. Makes sense now

7. Annie Ethel says:

Can we have some more discussion of actual legislation? I’ve noticed plenty of the posters get your panties all wadded about a lack of openness in the process, shortcomings of the legislature, but then the content leaves much to be desired.
    Senate Judy is beginning the hearing on HB 24 – taking on the Federal rules of Evidence. Can y’all handle it? Maybe the pros and cons of the Senate tagging on the Governor’s plan for handling juvenile offenses without going before a judge? Does anyone else know of a specific bill that has serious implications, and then offer a SOLUTION?

• Andre says:

Annie Ethel,

I’ve got some legislation to discuss. It appears as if transportation may be in trouble again this year as the legislature winds down its activities.

Senate Bill 520, a bill that would reduce the number of MARTA board members and also lift the 50% restriction on MARTA funds, was voted out of committee Tuesday and recommitted the next day.

It doesn’t appear as if transportation is a high priority for the legislature this year. If so, they’d be a little more serious about passing a bill that provides a funding mechanism for transit projects across the state.

• Annie Ethel says:

I haven’t heard about any amendments offered to make it more palatable to the House – what would it take to get it done?

• AubieTurtle says:

Harry must be crushed that the MARTA board size wasn’t reduced since it might make his racist projections on the board a bit more believable (though not any more true).

• Dave Bearse says:

“transportation may be in trouble again this year”

This year!!!

When has it not been in trouble over the past seven years.

We can always study privatization and toll roads some more. Then we can prepare another seven years worth of studies for other transporation that there’s no money to build.

8. Donna Locke says:

Icarus, please provide any evidence to support your statement that I do not like Mexicans. Please do not ascribe false motives to me simply because you apparently do not agree with my position, and that of many other Americans, that immigration, both legal and illegal, from all other countries must be controlled and reduced if the United States is to sustain itself as a nation with a quality of life most would care to live in, or as a unified nation at all.

I repeat, our problem, our concern, is with the numbers, which far exceed our traditional immigration levels, not with immigration itself.

There are other concerns. I have posted on the Web several times a long list of anti-American statements and goals voiced or written by elected Latino officials and by Latino university professors. These statements are on audio and video or recorded by newspaper reporters, along with statements by Mexican government officials, all of which should give any American pause.

Your blanket statement that I don’t like Mexicans has no basis in fact. Quite the contrary.

I grew up with a Latina aunt who was into immigration control before I was, since she saw what out-of-control immigration was doing to California, where she lived for a while.

I have close friends who were born in Mexico, Colombia, Vietnam, China, Japan, and India. The one born in Vietnam to Chinese parents, Yeh Ling-Ling, is a partner of mine in the immigration-control movement. After she immigrated here, she worked in immigration law and helped people immigrate here until she saw what this nation’s immigration policy is doing to this country.

Anytime a probable Mexican illegal alien in this country has approached me for help, and this has happened several times, I have helped him or her without reservation but without encouraging him or her to remain here, which is a violation of federal law.

My child was almost killed by an apparent Mexican illegal alien.

You don’t know me at all, and I don’t believe I threadjacked more than once — and you were on my case quickly over that. You will have to pardon me. I am accustomed to Tennessee political blogs where things are looser and a little more freedom of speech is allowed without such strict adherence to a poster’s topic. I made an effort to adhere to the tighter restrictions here.

I notice that most of your regulars go off topic without any castigation. So I think your problem is just with me and my opinions.

9. TPNoGa says:

I can’t decide which I dislike more, driving on the connector and top end perimeter every day at rush hour, or Obama/Pelosi/Reid. Tough choice.

10. benevolus says:

How about that Democrat winning in Florida? Perhaps seniors aren’t as scared of the insurance reform as the polls suggest.

11. Comfortably Southside says:

Since this is open, can anybody tell me how to get an image to appear with my name??? Feel free to abuse the term technology challenged.

12. Kellie says:

I just got back from the Tea Party in ATL. I met Phil Kent and invited him to the next PP gathering. He says he would really like to meet Icky. (I don’t know why)
    I also saw Tom Graves, Jim Galloway, Shep and Bill Greene. Bill sends his love. 😉

• AubieTurtle says:

One of y’all owes me for the time I spent in traffic created by the street being shut down for your party. I accept payment in good beer or bourbon.

13. John Konop says:

I thought this was a very interesting issue brought up by the AJC!

School bullying is terrible and cruel. But is it a crime?

AJC-In earlier blogs here on bullying, many of you have applauded the Massachusetts prosecutor’s filing of felony charges against Phoebe Prince’s alleged tormentors at South Hadley High School. A freshman at the school, Phoebe committed suicide in January after months of reported bullying growing out of her brief relationship with an older boy at the high school. He is among the students charged.

I have some concerns over the charges as it is hard to know what was really happening in Phoebe’s life. Was her depression because of her cruel treatment at school or were other issues involved, such as the family’s move from Ireland to the United States? It’s difficult to know whether the family dynamics or the child’s own personal issues play a role in a suicide. Is there a family history of depression? Was she homesick?

None of these conditions would excuse the bullying, but they would help us understand what was going on in Phoebe’s mind at the time.

• GOPGeorgia says:

How about we let a few facts come into play before making up our mind? Let’s assume innocent until proven guilty. Now if they question is could they be charged, I say yes. If the question is are they guilty, I don’t know and neither does anyone else whose sole source of information is the AJC.

I forgot to point out that you like to point accusations and assume people are guilty. It looks like you got it a bit better this time.

• John Konop says:

You need help immediately! Anyone who keeps defending big Ben is SICK! Any decent human been would be ashamed. Guilt and innocence in criminal case is relative to what the police can approve upon a reasonable doubt. It does not mean the person did not do the crime and or the victim did not want to testify.

This why the NFL will suspend your hero, and why many speculated he just settled with the girl.

YOUR HERO!

Ben Roethlisberger Files: Penis On Display & More Shocking Details

….The college student who accused Ben Roethlisberger of sexually assaulting her last month in a Georgia nightclub told cops that the NFL star approached her “with his penis out of his pants” and followed her into a bathroom, where “he had sex with me” in spite of her objections….

….One witness, Ann Marie Lubatti, told investigators that she saw one of Roethlisberger’s bodyguards guide the alleged victim to a side door. Lubatti said that she immediately approached another bodyguard and said, “This isn’t right. My friend is back there with Ben. She needs to come back right now.” Lubatti, who described Roethlisberger as “noticeably intoxicated,” said she was rebuffed by the bodyguard, who remarked, “I don’t know what you are talking about,” according to the below statement.

When Lubatti later spotted her friend, the alleged victim said, “We need to go now.” Lubatti said the woman told her that Roethlisberger “walked back to where she was with his penis already out of his pants. She told him that they shouldn’t be doing this and that it wasn’t right.” The woman told Lubatti that Roethlisberger had followed her into the bathroom and shut the door. “She continued to say she didn’t want to have sex, but he kept saying, “No, it’s OK.” Lubatti said that her friend told of having unprotected sex with Roethlisberger. After hearing her friend’s account, Lubatti and another woman, Nicole Biancofiore, “walked up to the first cop we saw and told them what happened.”….

• GOPGeorgia says:

You are are a liar. I have told you more than once he’s not my hero, yet you continue to lie and say he is.

I spoke up because you are wrong on your facts saying that he has admitted to a crime. This is another lie. I showen in another thread multiple links where he did not admit to a crime, and you have yet to retract your lie.
            (You can say you THINK he’s gulity all you want. Heck, I might join you, but why do you make up facts that aren’t true to support your OPINION?) I’ve never said the man was a saint. That would mean he would play for New Orleans.

Why do you hate the truth so much?

If I am banned for pointing out that you are a liar, so be it. Everyone who reads this will know you are a liar, unless you have an admin who will help you cover up the truth.

• John Konop says:

The irony of you challenging me when ALL YOU DO IS COVER UP for politicians! LOL!!! It seems very clear he paid-off the people with private settlements or as well as other other victims they did not want to deal with all the problems surrounding the issue.

AJC…. During a party at Roethlisberger’s house, the quarterback allegedly pulled his pants down and told the woman she could “do whatever she wants,” the GBI report states.

A week later, Roethlisberger invited her to a party where he allegedly forced his hand up the young woman’s skirt, according to the report.

She was able to escape and informed her father of the incident, the report states. The father apparently encouraged his daughter not to pursue a criminal complaint……

• GOPGeorgia says:

Regardless of what big Ben has done, you still won’t admit you are wrong on your facts. You said he admitted to a crime and that he’s my hero. You know this is not the case, but still you hate the truth. You are unapologetic about it and THAT MAKES YOU A BOLD FACED LIAR.

I’m not covering up for anyone, but that’s just another lie you like to tell. I discuss facts and what can be proven, and you believe everything you read. I see in the link you provide that it uses the word “claims.”

Question: Is the justice system of the United States based upon innocent until proven gulity or vice versa?

When you quit lying, I’ll stop calling you a liar.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Have you ever wondered what portion of your 17.7% were cross-over dems? I would guess 80%, but that’s just a guess.

Do you see the difference between speculating and facts? To say you had the worst percentage results of anyone running for congress in Georgia GOP primary in 2006 is a fact. What percentage of those votes were Dem is speculation.

Say what you like about me starting with “I think” and we will be fine, anything else that’s not true makes you a liar, proven time and again.

• John Konop says:

Do you sleep well at night knowing that you personally helped drive up record deficits put on the backs of your kids? The difference between you and I is I care more about the country that sucking up to office holders!

Telling people the truth is not always popular. And BTW in Cherokee country I got close to 30% of the vote which is the most conservative part of the district IRONIC!

BTW I have friend who are democrats, independents, republicans and libertarians. Unlike you I respect all Americans regardless to political affiliation. I realize suck-up party leaders like you on both side is on of the major problems. You guys care more about gaming the system for whatever reason than what is best for the country. Some day you will see the light.

14. AubieTurtle says:

Since there are lots of people here with strong opinions on gun issues…

Rufus Terrill, best known as the creator of the BumBot, on Saturday shot a patron at his restaurant O’Terrill’s Pub. The patron had refused to pay his tab (not a shooting offense), got belligerent (annoying but not a shooting offense) and threw a barstool at Rufus, at which point Rufus responded by shooting the attacker in the leg.

Rufus has been arrested for aggravated assault. None of us were there (I assume) but I have to wonder what is the level of physical attack must one endure before it is OK to make use of a firearm. On one hand, some will look at this as a guy losing his temper and harmlessly tossing a piece of furniture while others will look at it as a drunk and angry criminal trying to get away with stealing by assaulting those he was trying to ripoff.

From what I know of the incident from the news, I’m leaning toward shooting the guy in the leg being an appropriate response. Who knows what he was going to do to the owner or other patrons next. Either Rufus has really bad aim or he was trying to incapacitate the attacker without killing him, which was the end result.

• ByteMe says:

In most places in Georgia, no jury would convict and the DA will know that and try to drag the case out until Terrill goes into some kind of anger management class (or gun lessons) at which point, the case will be dropped.

• Republican Lady says:

Here are three sites that might answer your question. The first one is from the UGA Law School regarding a bill co-authored by Eric Johnson, the second one is from the Georgia Packing website, and the third is a memorandum regarding the Use of Force Continuum that law enforcement has to follow in the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice and that is also used by all law enforcement agencies.

• Andre says:

I honestly would think that Rufus Terrill would be immune from prosecution under the auspices of Georgia’s “Stand Your Ground” law.

Senate Bill 396, which was passed in 2006, says that “A person who uses threats or force in accordance with Code Section 16-3-21, relating to the use of force in defense of self or others, Code Section 16-3-23, relating to the use of force in defense of a habitation, or Code Section 16-3-24, relating to the use of force in defense of property other than a habitation, has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use force as provided in said Code sections, including deadly force.”

The bill goes on to state, “A person who uses threats or force in accordance with Code Section 16-3-21, 16-3-23, 16-3-23.1, or 16-3-24 shall be immune from criminal prosecution therefor unless in the use of deadly force, such person utilizes a weapon the carrying or possession of which is unlawful by such person under Part 2 or 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of this title.”

Quite frankly, when the belligerent patron hurled that barstool at Rufus, Rufus had a right to defend himself with the use of force. It is difficult for me to see a manner in which the charge of aggravated assault holds up in court if Terrill’s attorneys seek immunity under the “Stand Your Ground” law.

• Mozart says:

Having a chair thrown at you doesn’t quite imply you retailiate by shooting someone, does it?

But, we really don’t know the whole series of facts about the incident, so my comment may be based only on what is written here.

• GOPGeorgia says:

If you are going to fire a gun, you need to shoot to kill. If you shoot to incapacitate, your attacker may produce his own gun and not be as nice. I think a barstool could be a deadly weapon. I would have aimed higher, but I wouldn’t have pulled out a gun unless I thought my life was in danger.

Another alternative was for him to pull out his gun and command him not to move until the police got there. I think he was well within his rights to make a citizens arrest.

15. janna says:

Roy Barnes appears to be trying to court State employees by putting out the message that he supports some kind of state employee union. I was phoned by a pollster earlier tonight that called me by my legal name (I do not use it, it is only on official documents like paychecks) and knew I worked for the State. The poll asked all sorts of questions about how I felt about unions and Barnes. The most sucky part was the two questions asking how I would vote in a Barnes vs Handel or Barnes vs Oxendine race. My only choice of answers were one of the candidates or undecided. Damn, I am not undecided and I don’t support any of those three.

I will be interested in seeing info from that poll.

16. Progressive Dem says:

More questions for the Repubs. Jim Walls has the full story at

“Sen. Don Balfour (right) of Snellville didn’t break out the monthly rent, but he’s spent $7,750 so far this year on “session apartment rental.” If that’s for January through March, he’s paying nearly $2,600 a month. He paid the same gentleman $1,200 in December for “condo rental” and $9,170 last May in connection with a house rental.”

And Jan Jones bills the state $1,500 for rent. She lives in Fulton County!

17. A very well written article I read this morning that may help give the D and R party faithful some insight into the why the Liberty movement is growing and what to expect if a authentic charismatic Candidate for President should present themselves to lead it come 2012.

I harp on Ron Paul for all sorts of reasons, but the one of most interest to my readers is the fact that he is by far the most successful antiwar politician in recent American history. Derided as being one of those dreaded “isolationists,” and attacked even by some alleged “libertarians” precisely for that – and because he appeals to the common man – he not only insists on raising this issue, for him it is central to his analysis of what he calls the “Welfare-Warfare State,” a phrase coined by the late Murray Rothbard. Dr. Paul’s diagnosis of a nation fast exhausting itself in an orgy of spending and militaristic adventurism has the stark ring of truth about it – an alarm bell ringing in the night.

When Paul and others first sounded that alarm, back in the early formative years of the libertarian movement, very few were heeding the call. We were looked on as eccentrics, and, for example, the libertarian enthusiasm for gold was viewed as indicative of our archaic perspective, put down as an ideological curiosity and nothing more than a “crackpot” notion and a bad investment. Today, of course, those libertarian doomsayers who said the crisis was coming have been vindicated – and all that gold they bought way back in the 1970s, and kept buying in spite of the disdain of more worldly investors, today adds up to quite a bundle. Which is one way to get around to saying that a great deal of Paul’s newfound political authority and credibility comes out of his having predicted the current economic downturn. Virtually every speech made in Congress, and wherever he appeared, was dotted with references to the coming collapse if we didn’t mend our ways. Well, we didn’t, and it’s here. …more

• benevolus says:

“by far the most successful antiwar politician in recent American history”

Isn’t that what brought Howard Dean to prominence?

“all that gold they bought way back in the 1970s … today adds up to quite a bundle”
      OK sure, but they didn’t buy it as an investment to cash in did they? They bought it so they would have currency when the dollar collapsed.

• More fun with Artificial Inflation (depreciation tax) and Fiat currency:

$1.13 in the year 1913 has the same “purchase power” as $1 in the year 1776.

$25.30 in the year 2009 has the same “purchase power” as $1.13 in the year 1913.

The Federal Reserve (private company) b. 1913 – ???(when people wise up).

• Icarus says:

Well, that’s also because we had quite a few economic “panics” between those years, when deflation took away both savings as well as investors appetite for risk and investment.

What was the standard of living increase between 1776 and 1913? Wasn’t there a civil war in between that decimated half of our country?

What has been the standard of living increase between 1913 and 1776? How much has life expectancy increased during this time? About 20%? for a gradual inflation that averages less than 3% per year?

I’m O.K. with that.

• It doesn’t matter how slow you inflate a balloon, it’ll eventually POP! But, you say “see how nice it looks right before it does.”

I’m not OK with that.

A natural system that inflates and deflates a little over time would be much better. Sure, there are rough patches along the way… but that is what the virtue of “saving for a rainy day” is for. And what’s real cool, during deflationary times, that dollar you saved will actually buy you more stuff.

• Icarus says:

No, actually, it’s not.

The betting on whether or not you’re nearing deflation keeps investment dollars on the sidelines. It inhibits economic growth. In fact, deflation is non-growth.

So if you want the economy to inflate and deflate, you’re essentially saying you’re happy with the standard of living you have, and will be for perpetuity.

A gradual 2% inflation has been the monetary policy goal for this country for almost a century. Sometimes a bit highter (like the 70’s), and sometimes lower (like the 2000’s). But it has generally allowed for a stable investment environment where folks can get a slightly above inflation return for secure bank deposits, and more if they take risks.

So if they invested their 1913 dollars in a bank paying normal interest, they would have more than the $25.30 of today’s “value”.

I’m still quite O.K. with that.

• We’ll see.
                  That said, I am OK with being proven wrong… but long term history is on my side… So keep the presses printing and the military conquering (not to mention trading our freedoms for security)… and I’ll keep hedging and enjoying our versions of the Roman bathes, fine wine and sports at the nearest “coliseums” and whatever other freedoms I’m allowed to keep…. for now.

• Ever since the Fed was created and their inflationary scheme to try to CONTROL the economy was implemented we’ve only experienced little bubble pops of individual sectors in the economy. But when I see something like this, the BIG POP is coming (the longer we keep this up the bigger the burst)… the natural economic forces will correct… balance and symetry will accur… it’s what markets/economies do. When it does, I hope all Keynesian economist will become our biggest export (unless they man-up and admit they were wrong, then maybe we’ll let you them stay. 😉

• Dave Bearse says:

“libertarian doomsayers who said the crisis was coming have been vindicated – and all that gold they bought way back in the 1970s, and kept buying in spite of the disdain of more worldly investors, today adds up to quite a bundle.”

Guys that bought gold for $180 an oz in 1975 are crowing that its $1140 an oz value now is a bundle when the same $180 invested in Dow Jones 30 industrials which was at 800 in 1975 would be worth $2475 today.

Sound like crackpots to me.

• ByteMe says:

And they also assume a straight line increase in value will continue, which sounds a lot like the “Dow 36000” people back in 1999, doesn’t it?

What goes up must eventually revert to mean. Goes for the stock market and commodities markets. And very soon, you’ll want to be on the other side of the bet.

• Mozart says:

Ah yes, the “mean-reverting theorem.” I think it can also be applied to politics. It’s funny how no matter what any one party claims they stand for or will do once elected, they always revert back to the mean of “politics as usual.”

Republicans, Democrats…really, it’s getting to be irrelevant who is in power.

• ByteMe says:

Or just the “politics of the middle”, which is where politics should be anyway. The vague differences between the two parties are just marketing — and market-research-based — anyway.

18. RuralDem says:

So, I was looking at some of the fundraising numbers on the FEC’s website and I saw that David Gambrell donated to the Georgia GOP.

Is this the same Senator that was appointed after Senator Russell passed away?

If it is, does anyone know when he switched parties? I was always under the impression that he was a fairly liberal Senator (at least by Southern standards).

Anyway, I did a Google search and did not find anything. Hoping someone out there might know.

19. John Konop says:

Kathy Cox has not only failed but it looks like she is the leader behind the out of control cheating scandal! Can we not do better?

School audit finds undercounts in dropouts, discipline

AJC…..The findings are the latest rap on state education officials’ handling of student information, which is supposed to track the academics, discipline and location of every public school student in the state.

Government officials at all levels rely on that information to steer policy choices as well as make routine determinations such as which schools meet federal standards each year.

But critics charge errors have plagued the data system for years — particularly in the areas of dropouts and discipline. Business and civic leaders complain that, despite millions of dollars and years of effort, the state’s information system still isn’t producing reliable enough statistics on how Georgia students are faring.

“How does the state get away with not verifying the data that is submitted to it?” asked Cathy Henson, a Georgia State education law professor and former state Board of Education chairwoman. Some school districts, she added, are likely to misrepresent their numbers if not monitored.

Last June, an Atlanta Journal-Constitution investigation reported the state couldn’t locate nearly 20,000 students who local districts said transferred to other Georgia schools during the 2008 school year, but who never re-enrolled. The findings suggested the state’s dropout rate could be higher and its graduation rate lower than state leaders boasted.

Undercounting dropouts is a serious problem, Henson said. “If the state is putting out officially inflated numbers, then it takes the urgency away from the reforms needed to make sure more kids are graduating from high school,” she said. “You lull people into a false sense of security….