GACR Convention Live Blog

This Saturday, the Georgia Association of College Republicans are having their annual convention. I’ve chosen to live-blog this event because Herman Cain is the keynote speaker at the event. At SRLC he hinted at a “Dark Horse” entering the 2012 Presidential race. I’m anxious to see if he addresses this issue in his speech. I hope to see some on here Saturday. The speaking events begin at 1:00pm and are scheduled to last until 5:00pm. I will be summarizing what happens for those sitting at home or away from the Capitol. Have a great rest of the week. OPEN THREAD.

1. Jeff says:

anyway to rig up a video – even a webcam?

I’ll be heading over to the Lee Co GOP BBQ at 5. (No worries, my Libertarian brethren, I am going to cover the various candidates for my site and possibly a local newspaper or two.)

2. rugby says:

He couldn’t even win a primary for a U.S. Senate seat, why the hell would he run for President? I mean other extreme arrogance, ego, and hubris.

• ByteMe says:

Just the same as every 4 years Newt says he’s thinking about running for President and then… looky that! … He releases a new book and then decides not to run. I expect the equally dishonorable Sarah Palin to do the same come 2011.

• Chris says:

“It might be a way of marketing his dvd’s or jacking up his speaking fees.”

He’s running as a Libertarian?

3. Buzzfan says:

Tyler,

Herman just hinted at a possible 2012 run to Neal Boortz (literally about 4 minutes ago…..he’s wrapping up their chat right now) and he also expounds on his SRLC closing comment in this post-SRLC interview with Ed Morrissey (1st of the two vids posted).

4. He also addressed the SRLC comment on his show last night. He said he hadn’t ruled out the possibility of running, but had not decided anything. The comment was more towards other good candidates that have yet to announce.

• Doug Deal says:

I do not want to spoil the surprise, but I am hearing rumors about a Vice-President first runner-up and former populist half-term governor of a Western state who might shock the world with a reluctant surprise run. I would reveal more, but I have been sworn to secrecy and she is still thinking it over. I mean he or she is thinking it over. Don’t want to reveal too much.

• benevolus says:

“reluctant surprise run.” That would be hilarious.
        “I didn’t really expect to run, but so many of you encouraged me and inspired me that I just felt compelled to do it. And I promise this time I won’t quit before it’s over!”

I don’t think she has the chops to run as a Repub and I don’t think the has the huevos to run as Tea Party or anything else. She’s just enjoying her time in the… spotlight. (If I had said “crosshairs” would it have been objectionable?)

• Icarus says:

Oh, like that’s supposed to change things?

Well, it does.

I guess I own Donna an apology. I’ll see if I can find someone in front of Home Depot that can deliver it to her.

• Donna Locke says:

Well, you know, Icarus, I didn’t know this blog was built on the planned-obsolescence model. I’m clear now.

Anyway, in the other post where you insulted me and added this: “For that issue, I think we’ve had enough of it for a while.” Um … I believe I’m the only one on here who writes about immigration issues, and I don’t do it often, not here anyway. It’s kind of a major issue, I don’t know if you’ve noticed.

But I’m clear on what you’re about now. Got it.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Donna,

You are not the only one who cares about immigration issues. I’ve wrote about it, but it’s been a while. There are others who stand with you on that issue.

• Donna Locke says:

Thanks, Doug, I do know that. I retain a list of a few thousand Georgians who got my and Jane’s e-mail updates from the GA Coalition; some of them had lists of their own and forwarded them with permission. Even some Democrats. A couple of GA Democratic lawmakers have remained in touch, though I’ve been gone 7 years. I appreciate that.

I’m glad for the GOP majority. I did my part, I think.

We have a lot of friends in GA. And my kids are still there. And D.A. and others carry on.

I don’t care if I get banned here, by the way.

I’ll slap up another Web site eventually. I don’t know if it will be a blog. I heard those have to be fed every day. It isn’t a priority for me right now. I’m busy with a couple of campaigns and a manuscript. I’ll try to let some GA people know if I put up any info.