Hey, Why Don’t We Drink In Public?

There was some discussion yesterday about upcoming “Peach Pundit Road Shows”, where you, our loyal readers and commenters, can have the distinct honor of buying Icarus a beer.

I am delighted to inform you that there will be not one, but two dates that you need to add to your calendar if you wish to get out of your mom’s basement and tell me how stupid I am to my face. (you can do that as long as the beer you just bought me lasts…).

Thursday, April 29th, we will have one in downtown Atlanta. The details for the location are being nailed down, but I think it’s one that the PP community will like. This one will start between 6:00 and 7:00, still working that part out too.

And then, tentatively, we’re looking at Sunday, May 23rd, in beautiful (?) Macon Georgia. Location yet to be determined. Probably an earlier start/finish to this one than normal, let’s guess about 5:00pm for that one.

While we work out the final details, you guys go ahead and make this an OPEN THREAD:

• ByteMe says:

The odds are that there will be a massage parlor tour as part of it. Gotta take in the local sights.

• gatormathis says:

…..surely they can find a chinese massage parlor that has a chinese buffet and offers mixed drinks……..can you imagine how busy a place like that would be…….

• Romegaguy says:

Any truth that Erick has invited Michael Steele to come to Macon and use his RNC credit cards at some of Erick’s massage parlors?

1. Icarus says:

Forgot to add the usual disclaimer:

We look forward to seeing some of you. Others, not so much.

And as for the Macon one, I’m sure it will have a happy ending.

2. Technocrat says:

Green Lizard, Sterno, and bad moonshine, the choices of the 50’s should be brought back for nostalgia.

• polisavvy says:

I know; but, you never know what you will get. It’s like reaching into a bag in the dark and trying to grab something important. It’s kind of the “luck of the draw” as to whether or not you get what you need. Just a tad uneasy (maybe with cause and maybe without — it’s a gamble).

• ByteMe says:

I think we end up with a younger version of JP Stevens. So it becomes a wash. But the Republicans will paint it as Armageddon, of course.

• polisavvy says:

I do agree with you. The appointee will, more than likely, be someone fairly consistent with Stevens. I don’t think he could afford to put someone way out there this close to mid term elections. Could prove disastrous.

• AubieTurtle says:

It will be interesting to see how the confirmation hearings go. In recent times they’ve seemed to focus on finding out the nominee’s view on the legality of abortion. Will this nominee get the same treatment or will the focus go to health care reform. I doubt the administration is going to nominate anyone who is likely to be hostile to the concept while the Republicans are likely to want someone who is.

• BuckheadConservative says:

Just as the Dems painted Alito’s confirmation as the end of civilization as we know it. It’s called “the game” and it gets played by both teams. You like to paint the GOP is idiots for their participation, but fall largely mum when the Democrats are involved.

• ByteMe says:

Didn’t say the GOP “is idiots”, but that’s the game they’ll play in this circumstance. The real idiots are the people who will fall for the rhetoric and slobber all over themselves for the cameras to get their 5 minutes of “fame”.

As for Democrats… I haven’t been out here long enough to really find anything they do idiotic (as a group), although the upcoming financial reform bill(s) may turn out to be that moment if they let Wall Street dictate their own terms of surrender.

Ok, I’ve said somewhere around here that Jane Kidd is a blight on the Democratic Party of Georgia. Otherwise, in Georgia, they don’t matter right now, so they don’t get much play here. Maybe that will change, but I doubt it as long as she’s in charge of recruiting people to run for office.

• BuckheadConservative says:

Was supposed to be “as idiots” I’m southern, but not a hick. My b

Largely I ignore stuff like bickering over judicial appointees who will get confirmed anyway. Most of that stuff is tit for tat. As I conservative, I strongly oppose activist judges and think a good contested appointment is a great way to point out the differences in each parties philosophy. However, when the Dems do the same thing…I get it. I disagree, but everyone knows it’s coming. As such, I don’t see a point in using that as a line of attack.

• ByteMe says:

By “activist judge” do you mean one that overturns precedent or one that votes to uphold the constitution even if it means that it overrules the intent of the legislature or one that just votes against your desires?

All kinds of meanings for “activist judge” these days. For example, you could call the GA Supreme Court a bunch of activist judges for unanimously throwing out the fake “tort reform” that the legislature passed (aka, the “screw patients all over again” law) because it violated the state constitution’s explicit right to trial by jury. They not only overturned the legislature, but they also voted against the current Republican/Conservative position on “tort reform” being used to limit the payout. Now is that activist or is it upholding the constitution?

Is it upholding the constitution to have overturned laws that prevented interracial marriages? “Activist” judges not only went against precedent, but also against that state’s legislature to throw out that law.

Anyway, it’s time for HAPPY HOUR!

• Dave Bearse says:

The term “activist judge”, like “fiscal conservative”, is now a largely meaningless. It’s in the ranks of we’re against it, except when were not.

• benevolus says:

Actually, you know who is supposed to be in charge of candidate recruitment? Rep. Winfred Dukes.
                I have a problem with elected officials being Party officers because the Party never gets the attention necessary from them.

• benevolus says:

The buck stops with those who elected her. There was no mystery or mirage about her getting elected. It was old school vs. new and old school won. The problem is, the “old school” is predicated on the Governor being the head of the Party. They chose to ignore reality in order to avoid any sort of change.
                    Oops.
                    But Jane never promised anything other than what she is. We are getting exactly what we chose. I can’t blame her for that.

3. Andre says:

Why don’t we all follow the lead of the legislature and take a break from politics to focus on what really matters. . .golf.

• polisavvy says:

I agree, Andre. I thoroughly enjoyed watching The Masters yesterday. Thought Tiger did extremely well and, to be quite frank, was glad for him that he did.

• Andre says:

I was very impressed with the play of Tom Watson and Fred Couples. Two golfing greats that still have a lot of fire left in the belly.

Also, Masters.com has some awesome live-streaming going on. The scoreboard is updated within seconds of the player completing the hole. They’ve got live-streaming video with picture-in-picture technology. Augusta National sure knows how to spoil their patrons.

• BuckheadConservative says:

I agree. The coverage there is awesome. Who says Augusta National is old and stuffy….

• polisavvy says:

I found that site yesterday when I got so exasperated trying to watch the Golf Channel and ESPN. All they did was talk — all I wanted to do was watch. Watson and Couples were very impressive yesterday, and I’ll be interested to see how they do today.

Tiger put up a pretty good score again today. He’s still got it. People were saying that going 140+ days without competition was really going to hurt him — didn’t appear that way to me.

Thank goodness tomorrow and Sunday we can watch it live on TV. As far as Augusta National knowing how to spoil their patrons, that is one thing that they go over the top doing. My dad went for years and years, and he said that there was no place like it anywhere else.

• polisavvy says:

I am in support of it. Actually, I’m in support of people having the option to purchase or not purchase.

• Kellie says:

BTW – Brad’s life story “Front of the Class” will be on the Hallmark Channel tonight and tomorrow. Watch it if you have time. It is a great story!

4. Republican Lady says:

Since this is an open thread, why are the posts coming up as new when they are old? Can anyone explain why this happens?

• BuckheadConservative says:

Ugh. The beer snobs at Trapeze are unbearable. I like good beer, and like a good beer bar, but the townies at Trapeze are obnoxious. Paulie’s is the place to go.

5. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

Me ? Where have I been? I am Caucasian and male, a little over middle aged. My ancestors harvested their own crops and fought in all the wars. I claim to be a republican but not a happy one. I own a bunch of guns and love women. I can do that cause I am single and not a member of the Georgia house or senate and I am not gay. I understand the world is full of pain and sorrow and because of that we have liberalism and democrats.

All of this means I have to work.

So that is where I have been. Working. πŸ™‚

• Kellie says:

so are you going to show up at the PP pow wow? Or will you be working?

polisavvy – will you be there??

• Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

Kellie

Thanks for asking. I am white trash that lives in South Georgia. In flip flops and near the beach. Yes I will probably be working. I have some work in Atlanta but I don’t even know when I can get up there to do that. If you are going then it saddens me that I will miss it cause in your microscopic picture you look cute.

• Kellie says:

oh I am cute in an old, trashy sort of way. lol πŸ˜‰
          Drink enough and I am a knock out compared to this group of guys!

• Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

Old and trashy? Nah, no way. But you are right, standing next to Icky and the talk master you are……. and I would too πŸ˜‰

• Icarus says:

It depends on how much I’ve had to drink Lud. Kellie is cute in her own right, probably worth you driving up. But at most PP gatherings, I drink myself pretty damn attractive. Not for you though. Not my type.

• polisavvy says:

I promise that I’m working on it. I really do want to meet you guys (at least some of you); of course, there are some who don’t want to meet me — I’m pretty sure of that one.

6. Game Fan says:

Um, since this is an open thread, my bat computer has spit out a new theory. It’s called the “Hydraulic Jackass Effect”, which is what happens when a critical mass of people decide to throw their own opinions under the bus in order to become one of the “Followers” of various so-called “leaders”. It’s all explained in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iJDtAqHO-s

p.s. I really don’t think this guy Marilyn Manson is trying to become any type of leader. More like he’s mocking some of these so-called “leaders”.

7. B Balz says:

I must be the only one to notice that the Insurance Commish is getting some earned media???

Phil Kent over at Ga Gang gave Team Ox a limited and conditional plug Sunday recent Mr. O’s decision to ‘take on BC/BS’.

But, today the larger story revolves around NOT participating in the Fed’s shiny new $5B Hish Risk Insurance Pool.

Mr. Oxendine states in a letter to “… U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius he has no confidence the program will not be a burden for Georgia taxpayers….”

Hat Tip to AJC:

Actually, GA may have a better solution: a High Risk RE-Insurance Bill that looks like this: SB453

I KNOW the political value of Mr. O’s letter. Pandering to the base.

I also KNOW that Mr. Oxendine was clueless about SB453, not even on his radar! Couldn’t care less.

O X E N D I N E = F A I L