A New Candidate for the Governor’s Race

GPB brings us an Associated Press report that Ray Boyd, a commercial real estate executive, has decided to jump into the race for Georgia governor. Boyd has thrown in $2 million of his own money to start things off.

Ray Boyd told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he’s entering the Republican primary.

The 67-year-old political newcomer from Rutledge says he’s upset by the lack of ethics in Washington and at the state Capitol.

He says the candidates already in the race have been “tainted” by ethics troubles and long careers in politics.

Boyd describes himself as sympathetic to the tea party movement and supportive of term limits and states’ rights.

Boyd’s $2 million pledge was first detailed in a campaign disclosure filed with the Ethics Commission.

The funds pull him about equal in cash on hand to Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine, the current money leader among Republicans.

1. fishtail says:

Please tell me the Capitol rumor that Tom Perdue will be running Boyd’s campaign is just that…a rumor.

• Part-Time Atlanta says:

Tom will do anything for a dollar. If I didn’t know better I would think he was Dave Simons.

• seenbetrdayz says:

Ha! Same could be said for those who repeatedly say he’s a secessionist.

But yes, repetition has some bearing on what people believe to be true. β€”What else is new?

• apacheangel says:

Did I say that? Noooooooooooo…….but when someone says “Secession is one of the states’ rights mechanisms that the states have, but it is to be used ONLY after all other methods are exhausted, and they have not been exhausted now. So, if we were to secede now, it would be unconstitutional.”

Yeah…he’s definitely a secessionist…if you have no understanding of the constitution and pay no attention to anything that he says. Y’all have fun in your delusion.

• Jeff says:

Naomi:

Georgia Chairman.

League of the South.

Curious though: Since being quoted by me several times as to exactly what LOS believes per their own website, said website has subsequently been changed.

For those who don’t know, the previous LOS website said point blank that their goal is “an independent Southern Republic”.

• Tyler says:

I don’t see secession as a viable option, period. But this thread is about Ray Boyd’s entry into the governor’s race. Let’s not turn this into yet another McBerry thread.

• apacheangel says:

It is interesting, isn’t it, that the threads keep trending towards McBerry who is such a “non-issue” and “doesn’t stand a chance?” That must be why Jeff Sexton spends so much time smearing him…because no one pays any attention to him.

2. True Grit says:

fishtail-A hindend of a cold-blooded vertebrate animal that lives in water has no mind of its’ own and follows other fish blindly. Informal definition-A person, especially one considered deficient in something.

Mayonnaise-A rather bland, greasy condiment who by itself cannot be taken serious.

• Mozart says:

To raise his name ID, it will take close to $5 million. He has no political wins in his resume. Being a “successful businessman” is, alas, not good enough for people to connect with in the “red meat” world of GOP primaries.

• Mozart says:

Dear Ray,

The light-white text on a solid black background is a royal pain in the rear to read.

-20 points for the techno-wizards who built your site that are unaware of the challenges people over 40 might have in reading your Website.

P.S. By the way…the average age of 80% of the GOP Primary voters is approximately 50 years old. They are not going to spend their time reading your Website if it is too difficult to read.

• Mayonnaise says:

What does this mean?

“Welcome to the online home of Ray Boyd and his campaign for Governor of Georgia for the Republican Party in November 2010.”

• Mayonnaise says:

And how about this from his blog:

“Vote against the incumbent no matter who the individual is. The quality of the opposition candidate we vote for is not as important as the message we send to our government.”

I mean, ya right I’m going to vote against Tom Price in favor of some liberal. This guy is a nut-job.

• Icarus says:

It may mean that he hired a consultant, his name is Tom Perdue, and that the $2 Million that used to be his children’s inheritance will be used to fund poor media buys, 3rd rate websites, and billboards – each with lucrative commissions back to the consultant.

Or it may mean that he’s conserving his resources at this time.

Will be interesting to watch, regardless.

• AubieTurtle says:

He reminds me of Jim “Mattress Mac” McIngvale, owner of the Gallery Furniture chain. He invested eight million into the movie megaflop “Sidekicks” not realizing that the movie business was quite different than the furniture business. I don’t think he ever saw of penny of his money back.

Ray might have been better off to start with a local office. As Karen Handel has shown, it doesn’t take long to climb up the ladder if you’re motivated to do so. He probably could buy his way into an office with high enough visibility to be able to jump into the 2014 race and be viable.

• Icarus says:

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

OR TO THE PEOPLE

• Doug Deal says:

I’ve seen what Jeff has. In fact I provided or corroborated a fair number of the things Jeff has. These aren’t unsubstantiated. Stop worshipping at the feet of devils who like to corrupt children. You might end up with a little more self respect.

• Jeff says:

It is also a very accurate one. I’ve been very closed-lipped with the details of what I have, but what I have will make this story go national AGAIN, and Doug knows EXACTLY what I have.

• polisavvy says:

Well, I certainly wish I knew what you were talking about. When will we be able to see whatever it is that you have? I’m a very curious person.

• apacheangel says:

I have plenty of self respect. I don’t, however, have respect for people who lie or claim to have evidence that they won’t produce. If you have such incriminating evidence maybe you and Jeff should produce it.

3. Mayonnaise says:

just sent to me ……… “Yeah, but I can’t believe he voted in the Democrat Presidential Preference in 2000 and 2004.”

• ByteMe says:

Wasn’t the Republican side pretty much determined before it got to Georgia in 2000? Didn’t McCain implode a week or two before eliminating the last of the real competition?

• ByteMe says:

Are you saying that Georgia’s Presidential Primary that year was competitive?? Or that I’m not going to deter you from sliming someone for voting in a primary that you don’t approve?

4. Doug Deal says:

I will withhold judgement, since it is early for him and many impressive runs have started with a trip out of the starting gate. (This is a marathon, not a sprint, afterall).

Hopefully he will be a good candidate and improve the field and make the selection for governor a little tougher.

5. macho says:

I’m guessing most of Boyd’s support comes out of Ox’s hide. Since Ox has been pandering to the Tea Party / Fairtax crowd, and Boyd seems to be much more sincere, than long serving politician / ethically challenged Ox.

• B Balz says:

He may become GA’s Ross Perot acting as a spoiler. I hope he asks lots of really good questions.

Rep. Austin Scott is the only GOP candidate that Mr. Boyd will have difficulty trapping or tripping up.

• macho says:

It won’t quite be like Perot, since GA has runoffs, but his insertion into the race makes it interesting. Perhaps he’ll spoil Ox’s chances, since it should shine a light on the eunuch’s pandering.

Hopefully, his $2 million will buy more than a few McBerry voters.