I Love This Bar

We haven’t had decent Toby Keith reference in a while, so there’s your headline. But which bar?

Got an email from a friend who wants to know the best Republican watering hole in Atlanta for Republicans to hang out. He referenced the venerable Manuel’s Tavern as being the quintessential place to go for Democrats who want to embibe together, but asked if there was such a place in the ATL for Republicans.

I’m not aware of one.

Thus, with the General Assembly on retreat in Augusta this week, we have time to field the question. Is there one preferred place where Republicans like to hang together in good times and bad for a few rounds of the illegal to purchase on Sunday beverages?

1. Justin Tomczak says:

Wild Wings off 120 Loop – Tuesdays for 1/2 price wings

(really draws out the fiscal conservatives)

2. Bugs Dooley says:

As an Atlanta Young Republican, I’d like to make a case for 5 Seasons Brewing Company. They have hosted one Republican event a month for us, first at their Roswell Rd. location and now at their new Westside one, for the past 7 years. And yes, they pander to us fiscal conservatives out there — there is free parking and varying drink specials offered for our scheduled monthly meetings πŸ™‚

• Chris says:

Allow me to second 5 Seasons. Not only is the food excellent, but the booze selection is excellent, and I believe one of the owner’s is sympathetic to Republican/conservative causes.

3. aquaman says:

Most of the politicians (both republicans and democrats) I know never stray too far from one of the many “hospitality” rooms. When it comes to their money they’re all fiscal conservatives.

4. benevolus says:

A friend saw Matt Dollar and a Georgia Power lobbyist at The Highlander a couple of weeks ago. Does that count?

5. Rick Day says:

Normally I would suggest Spring4th Center in Atlanta, but alas Sunday sales are not allowed for convention centers.

But if they did, we would! I’d run 2 for 1 specials on wells.

I’d have to order some Bitter Beer™ for this group, tho…

• AubieTurtle says:

A bit off topic… do you know what the law is about drink specials in normal bars? (meaning, not a convention facility like Spring4th) I’ve heard over and over again that happy hours are illegal in Georgia but I see them all the time… and I’m talking about alcohol rather than food specials. A bar owner once told me it was state law that they could have drink specials but had to keep them in effect for an entire week rather than for an hour or two like they would prefer.

6. Tyler says:

I was at Manuel’s Tavern tonight. Does that make me a squishy moderate? Because I don’t care. I highly recommend the place for anyone looking for a good place to meetup.

Besides…

“There are many things my father taught me here in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.” -Michael Corleone (The Godfather: Part II)

Sun Tzu was the originator of the above quote.

7. Goldwater Conservative says:

The bar at Bones is nice. They have an excellent wine selection, several small batch bourbons and single malts.

8. Ornery says:

When Manuel was alive he was a little tolerant of Republicans. Years ago supposedly he tried chasing Sean Hannity off back when Hannity was on ‘GST. There is a place in a train depot in Woodstock that appears to be a GOP bar/restaurant of worship, not sure how they are making out in the economy but it was a cool place.

• AubieTurtle says:

Do you mean the Right Wing Cafe in Woodstock?

I hear that Sonny likes to go to Manuel’s once in a while but does he really count as a Republican?

9. polisavvy says:

I’m sorry if this is off topic and am certainly not trying to thread jack; however, my older son just pointed this out to me, and I thought you guys might like a little laughter (regardless of which of the teams you are for). Plus, since a lot of people drink while watching sporting events, it’s kind of applicable. Once again, please excuse the thread jack, but enjoy the link. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/04/video_5-year-ol.html