Hank Johnson (D-Fulcrum) explains his comments about Guam & U.S. Marines

April 1, 2010 14:08 pm

by Pete Randall · 26 comments

It was all a metaphor, you see.

In an e-mail to 11Alive News, Johnson’s office said the statement was a metaphor to describe Guam’s ecosystem.

“I wasn’t suggesting that the island of Guam would literally tip over,” Johnson said in the e-mailed statement. “I was using a metaphor to say that with the addition of 8,000 Marines and their dependents – an additional 80,000 people during peak construction on the tiny island with a population of 180,000 – could be a tipping point which could adversely affect the island’s fragile ecosystem and could overburden its overstressed infrastructure.”

“Having traveled to Guam last year, I saw firsthand how this beautiful – but vulnerable island – could easily become overburdened, and I was simply voicing my concerns that the addition of that many people could tip the delicate balance and do permanent harm to Guam,” Johnson said.

Daniel N. Adams April 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Johnson then presented gripping video evidence he had recently personally filmed of how “climate change” can adversely affect humanity. … which then lead to an R and D bi-partisan agreement; The You Can Have Yours, If We Can Have Ours, War on Stuff That We Ultimately Have No Contol Over, But Gives The Masses AWarm Fuzzy False Security Act and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNAHjsAnTd4

NorthGeorgiaGirl April 1, 2010 at 3:29 pm

After the health care vote, my oldest child added this phrase to that quote, “and shouts of Yes, we can!”

Dave April 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Valiant effort by staff to save his idiot self.

c_murrayiii April 1, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I miss Denise Majette, the 4th district didn’t look so silly when she was their congresswoman

ByteMe April 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Oddly enough, I do as well. Of course, I’d say the same about a number of other Georgia districts represented by other hucksters/buffoons.

Henry Waxman April 3, 2010 at 3:00 am

Speaking of buffoons, didn’t Corrine Brown go to UF too?

Goldwater Conservative April 1, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I miss the days when reporters reported rather than using their media outlets for expressed advocacy.

Way to go on the attempt to embarrass Johnson.

Curiously, all matters regarding Sarah Palin’s ignorance of the distinctions between continents and countries did not make the Peach Pundit headlines. I wonder why?

It couldn’t have anything to do with party affiliation could it?

I mean, Johnson is a self made man and a successful attorney and former county commissioner (an elected executive of a county with a population and bureaucratic responsibility far larger than the entire state of Alaska), not the wife of some petro-company’s accountant.

Icarus April 1, 2010 at 4:29 pm

But can he drive a snow machine?

Technocrat April 1, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Or kill and skin Moose barehanded with only a fingernail file?

aquaman April 1, 2010 at 4:40 pm

GC,
You can actually listen to his questions to the admiral and his concern over the island capsizing and defend his knowledge of island geomorphology? I know plenty of educated successful folks who don’t know a darn thing outside their disciple. I think a better defense would be that he consults with Sheila Jackson Lee on science related issues.

Daniel N. Adams April 1, 2010 at 5:52 pm

aqua,
I agree about the “outside their discipline” thing. I had a doctor neighbor once that called me over when he was having trouble with the starter button/switch on his lawn mower and had taken the engine apart trying to find it so he could replace it… it was a pull start. However, it was just as funny and had now bearing on his ability in practicing medicine. However, Rep Johnson is making/pushing policy based on his ignorance and that is scary/sad.

GC,
I agree with the Sarah Palin comment, but that’s no defense… and defending Johnson on this at all in the same breath… we’ll, it really takes away some of the Palin past and potential embarrassment oomph.

AubieTurtle April 1, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Goldwater Conservative,

I think we all know why Pete picks the stories he does and party affiliation is only the second most important criteria.

As to Rep. Johnson’s statement, while it is possible that aquaman is correct about this being a case of someone being ignorant of areas outside of their expertise, I’m going to bet it was a case of snarkiness. Hopefully Rep. Johnson is embarrassed enough by this incident to reign in the sarcasm monster that seems to dominate so much debate these days. Members of Congress should set an positive example of civil political debate for everyone else (yes, I can hear all of you laughing at that statement). That goes double for dealing with those who testify before Congress who aren’t even members.

Dave April 2, 2010 at 6:48 am

Maybe Sarah’s comments don’t make PP headlines because they’re not Georgia related?

ZazaPachulia April 1, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Either Hank was using a dry metaphor (likely) or he was really messed up on his medications… The Congressman is battling for his life against Hep-C, you know.

Here’s the real question: How many of the Ten Commandments can old Hank name? My Congressman in the Third set the bar pretty low on that one…

macho April 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm

If you watch the video, a metaphor is really unlikely. He goes into great detail about tipping the island over, using hand motions to demonstrate the tipping motion of the island.

ByteMe April 1, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Yeah, I would have bailed on the metaphor idea and gone with the meds as an excuse.

DonnaC April 1, 2010 at 7:32 pm

If it was just “snarkiness” or a “metaphor,” than what was it about? I guess I’m missing something. If it was a metaphor the admiral didn’t understand, as Johnson’s spokesperson reported, wouldn’t it behoove him to explain it? Otherwise, what was the point?

Kellie April 1, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I don’t care what he calls it now; it was funny!

Henry Waxman April 3, 2010 at 2:26 am

oldtractor April 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Another proud day in Georgia History… Georgia Congressman predicts capsizing of Island due to influx of 8000 Marines. Boy those sure are some BIG Marines!

oldtractor April 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm

“Congressman Johnson is highly educated. Certainly he knows that islands do not float on the ocean.” .. … Looks like all those billions of dollars spent on Public Education is now showing up in our elected Congressmen…

c_murrayiii April 2, 2010 at 12:52 am

“Hey, ignore my dumb comment, look over there at that jack ass!” Real slick way to debate something GC, you should be a campaign manager or chief of staff. Yes, there are idiots on the right as well, but the difference between Palin and Johnson is that Palin doesn’t hold an office right now (which I for one am thankful for) and Johnson does. I swear, I don’t know what you libs would do with yourselves without Sarah Palin.

seenbetrdayz April 2, 2010 at 9:12 pm

After watching the hearing, I have only one question:

How in the hell did the admiral keep a straight face?

ByteMe April 2, 2010 at 9:17 pm

That’s how you get to be an admiral in this man’s navy….

Henry Waxman April 3, 2010 at 2:32 am

Good one. +1

m.riner April 3, 2010 at 9:00 am

I was on the island of Guam for 12 months from 1972 to 1973 working as a jet engine mechanic on B52’s and KC-135’s for mid-air refueling. I think we brought over somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 B’52’s and 80 KC-135’s to pound Vietnam with. One single B-52 weighs about a half-million pounds and that’s not counting the millions of pounds of bombs, the millions of gallons of fuel, the hundreds of vehicles and enough men and women to carry out this massive operation.
This went on from 1965 to 1973 so I kinda think if Guam was prone to capsizing, it would’ve capsized then.
I’m a Republican from Georgia and, as far as I’m concerned, Hank Johnson spoke like he’d just had a large pipefull of crack. cocaine. It’s embarassing, to tell you the truth! This country is doomed!

Comments on this entry are closed.