Georgia Association of College Republicans Convention

ATLANTA, GA – The Georgia Association of College Republicans will be holding their annual convention at the State Capitol on April 17, 2010.  Student activists from across the state are expected to attend in order to select new officers for the coming year and have the opportunity to meet prominent Republican officials and representatives. Several state-wide officials and candidates are likely to address the convention and Herman Cain has already been confirmed to deliver the keynote address.

“Herman Cain has a tremendous following in the Conservative community and he has always reached out to young activists. We are honored to have him deliver the keynote address to College Republican leaders from across Georgia” says GACR Chairman Jade Morey.

The Georgia Association of College Republicans annual convention will be held in the House Chamber of the Georgia State Capitol beginning at 1:00pm. Herman Cain is scheduled to deliver the keynote address at 3:00pm. The convention is open to the general public.

Herman Cain is President and CEO of THE New Voice, Inc., a business consulting company. He hosts the radio talk show “The Herman Cain Show” which airs on News Talk 750 WSB – Atlanta from Monday – Friday, 7pm-10pm. He is also a FOX News Business Commentator and Columnist with World Net Daily.

The Georgia Association of College Republicans, an organization representing thousands of college students across Georgia, is the Georgia affiliate of the College Republican National Committee.GACR strives to promote the ideals of the Republican Party and build the student grassroots effort.

1. I hear college Republicans are taking a hit on the campuses of UGA, Tech and Ga. Southern as students realize it’s the Republicans in the statehouse who are screwing them on tuition hikes and budget cuts. College Dems are getting converts like crazy!

• polisavvy says:

Wow, is that what you are really hearing? That’s strange. Some of the candidates have had absolutely no problem organizing large groups of supporters which are yielding an even larger number of volunteers.

• Tyler says:

Gotta agree with polisavvy on this one. The College Republicans are showing up in droves as volunteers for candidates. We’ll see who’s right this November; especially since ObamaCare just passed. The College Republicans will continue to grow.

• abbyadams says:

ProgressivePeach: You heard wrong. CRs are growing faster than ever, driven to action by the fantastic overreaches of the Obama administration and a liberal Congress. The College Dems on campus are considered a “joke” even by their own members. That’s a direct quote.

• benevolus says:

Wow, I didn’t even notice that before. Is there supposed to be a subtle “happy face” in there? So that you associate ‘elephants’ with ‘happy’? That’s clever. But the happy face has a mutant eyebrow hair?

Let me just disclaim by saying that if a College Republican Marketing major volunteered to do this then I think they Exceeded Expectations. But a little constructive criticism may help the next Logo Committee make the product even better. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Which is, coincidentally, pretty much the function of a spleen.

On the other hand, if somebody got paid to do this logo, I feel it is fair game for criticism in the Free Market of Ideas.

2. ZazaPachulia says:

Great, they snagged Herman Cain. Should be a captivating event. I hope the weather is warm so I can play my favorite college Republican gathering game: Polo logos v. Lacoste gators.

I’m thinking Polo might have a slight edge on Lacoste this year, but you never know in an election cycle…

Also, Vegas odds for ratio of Raybans to minorities is hovering at 3:1. I’m leaning toward the over on that one… especially if it’s sunny (even with Herman speaking).

The Dems have their convention in Athens… where the bars are much cheaper and the weed is more readily available.

• AubieTurtle says:

Don’t forget the guys who usually wear bow ties. Their casual costume calls for le tigre. Those wacky rebels!

• BuckheadConservative says:

As a Republican and a CR from waaay back, I had to laugh at that one. And go ahead and file me in the Lacoste camp.

I will say, this…the Young Dems were typically just as monochromatic

And while I hate bowties, I’d side with those over a dirty Che Guevara t-shirt anyway. Especially on some whiney hipster chick who, despite her middle to upper class upbringing and free college education, still manages to feel oppressed by the Alex P. Keatons of the world.

• AubieTurtle says:

Does anyone really wear Che shirts seriously? I always thought they were either worn for ironic value or by those who saw others wearing them and bought one not really knowing all that much about Guevara.

Come to think of it, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a Che tshirt in person. Plenty of photos online of people wearing them. Of course I’ve never attended political student groups in college so maybe I just wasn’t in the right place.

3. Game Fan says:

Um, maybe I should include “associations” and “industries” as being full of “chiefs” and not necessarily representing the rank and file. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Hey, I’ve been there. The “leaders” are usually just the best ass kissers getting their marching orders from the “top down”. Same story different groups.

• B Balz says:

Talk about throwing sand on the passionate fire of youth, vigor, and political involvement. Sheesh.

4. Jade Morey says:

Game fan sounds like one of those bitter former CR’s who lost their election. I’m very proud of the hardwork on the part of the chiefs and indians within our association. I’m confident the leadership that will replace me and the indians who replace them will be more capable and informed now more than ever. Look forward to seeing everyone at the convention! 🙂

5. Game Fan says:

Naw, I never joined the org. I was a self-identified college Republican. I figured that stuff was common sense. And for moi, joining too many organizations doesn’t allow me to flourish as an individual. To… blossom, so to speak. 🙂