Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

This is evidently what happens when you leave Georgia Tech guys in the cockpit.

Two F/A-18E Super Hornet pilots from Strike Fighter Squadron 136 have been permanently grounded for flying too low before a Georgia Tech football game Nov. 7, according to a source.

The pilots, both mid-’90s graduates of Georgia Tech, flew over Bobby Dodd Stadium in downtown Atlanta at just a few hundred feet above the stadium, under the 1,000 feet minimum required by Navy rules.

Multiple videos of the flyover, posted on YouTube, show the planes screaming low over the stadium.

[snip]

The pilots reported the low pass themselves upon landing and the Navy convened the evaluation board immediately to determine if the officers violated Navy rules.

Emphasis mine. Video of the incident here.

Consider this a Balfour-free OPEN THREAD.

1. John Konop says:

Head Strong: Free (and hateful) speech vs. the right to gather

Only a sick person would go to this protest!

TPI-Justices should rule against a Kansas church group that protested at a fallen Marine’s funeral.

Fred Phelps, founder and pastor of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., claims to be a man of God. But when I interviewed him days after he initiated a vulgar protest at a dead Marine’s funeral, he reminded me more of Lucifer.
    America, he insisted, had “gone the way of the Brokeback Mountain,” before adding: “God’s wrath is upon this nation. And he’s pouring out that wrath by killing these soldiers and maiming these soldiers in Iraq and sending them back in body bags. And it’s only going to get worse.” Though we “met” by way of a cable television connection, I remember how disturbed his fiery eyes left me.

Phelps was belligerent to the point that I had to cut off the interview just moments after it started. Now I hope the Supreme Court will do likewise.

The case the high court has agreed to hear pertains to Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who died in combat in Iraq on March 3, 2006. Joining his family, friends, and loved ones at his funeral a week later were Phelps and several protesters from Westboro Baptist. According to a lower court’s recounting of the facts: “They traveled to Matthew Snyder’s funeral in order to publicize their message of God’s hatred of America for its tolerance of homosexuality.”

2. Andre says:

Since Sunday will be heavily dominated by politics, today we should talk sports; mainly March Madness.

After 32 games, I sit atop the field of competitors in the Peach Pundit March Madness Pick ‘Em. That’s right. A Democrat leads the class with 27 picks correct out of a possible 32 including some of the biggest upsets like Old Dominion defeating Notre Dame and Missouri beating Clemson.

To paraphrase Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman, I’ve got “Joe-mentum” baby!

• polisavvy says:

I don’t think I’m very far behind you — 24-8. Unfortunately, I lost two of my “Sweet 16” yesterday. Still, not too shabby for a female.

• AubieTurtle says:

Kansas just busted half the nation’s brackets. At least I didn’t pick them to win it all.

• Andre says:

I deem the following teams into the Final Four:

University of Northern Iowa;
        Georgia Tech;
        Washington; and
        St. Marys.

How’s that for “deem and pass?”

3. B Balz says:

I think that Sen. Adelman is a class act and will represent America well in Singapore. Congratulations Senator Adelman!

• polisavvy says:

That was absolutely amazing. I had tears streaming from my eyes. Thanks for sharing this. I went through North Platte in 2008. I wish I had known it’s history. I would have stopped. We may all snipe and disagree with one another on here; but, at the end of the day, that video is the reason it is all made possible. I thank each and every service member. We owe them our utmost gratitude and respect from a most grateful nation. Thanks again for sharing such a moving tribute.

4. Buzzfan says:

Isn’t this where CPJ makes a call?…..

“Hello, Admiral? This is Georgia Tech Head Football Coach Paul Johnson. You might know me as former Navy Head Coach Who Beat Army Six-Times-in-a-Row Paul Johnson……”

:-Þ

• Buzzfan says:

Oh, and here’s a nice approach/flyover video taken from the top of the North Deck. A pic taken from near the same spot has been my home PC’s background for months. Most awesomest flyover I’ve witnessed personally (although I was in Lower East). Hate it for the pilots.

5. AubieTurtle says:

I live just down the street from Tech and remember that flyover very well even though I was inside with the windows closed and the curtains drawn. I can’t imagine how loud it was for those in the stadium but it certainly was dental filling shaking loud in my home.