“Youth Vote” Forum Today!

MARCH 5, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ATLANTA – On Saturday, March 13, the Georgia Tech Chapter of the College Republicans will hold an exciting and interactive forum in Atlanta that allows Georgia students and residents the chance to get up close and personal with the 2010 Republican candidates for governor. The debate will host six of the seven GOP candidates and allow attendees the chance to meet with the candidates themselves before the debate begins. Congressman Nathan Deal, former Secretary of State Karen Handel, former state Senator Eric Johnson, Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine, state Representative Austin Scott, and state Senator Jeff Chapman will all be in attendance. This groundbreaking, student-led event will be hosted at the spacious Academy of Medicine in downtown Atlanta at a cost of only $5 a ticket and is open to the general public.

Questions for the forum will be submitted by students and young professionals from across the state with the intention that candidates’ answers will show Georgia’s youth where they stand on key issues to young people such as tuition hikes, job creation, transportation and other pressing state and local matters. The debate will be accompanied by a straw poll – the first of its kind this election cycle – to gauge young Georgians’ opinions on a wide range of political hot topics, including who is the “youth vote” favorite for the 2010 GOP nomination for governor.

“The conservative youth movement is on the rise in the state of Georgia. This event will express the voice of students and young professionals, the upcoming leaders of the Republican Party. The straw poll results will be very indicative of our generation’s views on conservatism and our party leaders,” said GT College Republicans Chairman Kristen Greig. “We are proud to join with youth from across this state to host this truly forum that we hope signals the beginning of a new age of politics in Georgia.”

Tickets for the forum can be purchased online at http://www.gtrepublicans.com/forum.html and at the door. All Georgia residents are welcome to attend; however, straw poll participants will be restricted to Georgia residents under 30 years of age to ensure that the balloting is an accurate representation of state youth opinion. Seating is limited, so be sure to arrive promptly at 1:30pm for a half-hour of meet and greet mingling with the candidates to be immediately followed by the forum at 2:00pm. Straw poll results will be announced at the conclusion of the candidates’ debate.

When: Saturday, March 13, 2010 @ 1:30PM

Where: Georgia Tech Academy of Medicine, 875 W Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30303

Contact: Chandler Epp, GTCR Executive Director at (678) 234-4948 or via email at [email protected]

The purpose of the Georgia Tech Chapter of the College Republicans is to educate the students of Georgia Tech about the ideals and vision of the Republican Party, to promote those ideals, and to help elect candidates who hold them.

1. Mozart says:

Hmmm…what is wrong with this picture:

– Congressman Nathan Deal
    – former Secretary of State Karen Handel
    – state Senator Eric Johnson

Why isn’t Eric Johnson a “former state senator”?

2. B Balz says:

What if, oh no, perhaps I am dreaming, say about 10,000 showed up, peacefully, showing signs saying:

“I am mad as Hell and I am NOT going to take it anymore?”

I’ll be there, sans a sign.

3. Tiberius says:

What % of the state GOP primary vote is under 30? The straw poll is limited to those under 30. I suppose this straw poll will be even less accurate than others.

What about those young at heart?

• ByteMe says:

This debate is not the one that will decide whether youth will join the Party. It’s the debate between the old white cranks and everyone else that will decide where the youth of America end up voting for years to come.

The GOP is currently losing big time while the old white cranks are in charge.

• kyleinatl says:

what? you think the more liberal college-age crowd is suddenly turning around to the party of the religious right?

And they say we drink the kool-aid…

• ByteMe says:

Why wait? Let’s look at how well they did in the past two election cycles with young people. Ohhh, riiiight….

• GOPGeorgia says:

I didn’t say let’s count the young votes in November, I said let’s count the votes in November. You both get an F in reading comprehension.

4. IW says:

So what’s the story on why only 6 of the 7 candidates are going to be there? Is McBerry dissing them? Or was he not invited?

• abbyadams says:

Ray is in Chattown this weekend, but he has a table during meet and greet with his representatives.

5. Andre says:

I paid my $5 and will be at this forum tomorrow, but I don’t think I’ll vote in the straw poll. It would be inappropriate for a Democrat to vote in a Republican race.

I’m just interested in what the GOP candidates for governor have to say.

• kyleinatl says:

Eric Johnson – As an architect…blah blah blah…Sonny Perdue did a great job…blah blah blah

Karen Handel – I’m not a man, thus I’ll never drop my pants, please ignore that I’ve yet to actually stay in for a full-term anywhere.

Ox – Let’s put new construction projects right on top of East Atlanta…I’m the best insurance commissioner ever, look at my bright white shining teeth.

Austin Scott – uuhhh….uhhh….corporate tax…uhhhh…

Nathan Deal – Unlike every one else….I actually voted on this, that and the other thing…(this statement will be repeated ad infinitum)

that about sums it up I think…

6. Game Fan says:

Eh, “College Republicans”, “meet & greets”, “invitations”, “networking”… I seriously doubt anybody is going to ask some tough questions. Why run the risk of pissing off the status quo, especially if you’re a young college ass kisser looking to make a career in politics?

7. Tyler says:

Kristen, Chandler, and the Georgia Tech College Republicans did a great job. The forum ran smoothly and all questions got asked. Keep up the good work guys.

8. Game Fan says:

I seriously have to wonder if any of the bloggers on this website even thought about the concept that any type of “behind the scenes activity” in the political world would mean a departure from representative government. As far as these kids go, good luck with your “connections”. And as far as the real grassroots goes, and the netroots too, if you have to ask, then you’re not even worth the time it would take to explain.