Mouth to Mouth

Despite broad cuts across the board, the Georgia Senate wants to have kids learn first aid in their health classes. Some are saying it is an unfunded mandate. Personally, I’m wondering why the hell we’re making kids take a “health” class and not teaching them first aid. One catch: who is going to buy all the Resusci Annie’s for the kids to practice on?

Do these Senators really want them practicing mouth to mouth in school? If you’re going to teach first aid, you need to learn CPR.

1. polisavvy says:

I agree with you about CPR being taught during the course of first aid. As for the mouth to mouth, well, as my kids’ doctor once told me, “kids are like vermin.” Could you imagine the illness that could be caused by a “Resusci Annie”? (They aren’t cheap).

2. John Konop says:

Why not let a kid playing a sport in school count as a gym class credit like in college? Would this not save money and encourage kids to stay active?

3. polisavvy says:

As an aside, I just located a Resusci Annie through Wholesale Lifeform CriSis, and to purchase the economy starter package is $667.76 (this includes four adult and four baby dummies). I could only imagine what this would cost to provide for every school in the state. Maybe in better times this would be good. With the economy in the tank, probably not a good idea right now.

• Game Fan says:

You don’t need a friggin rescue annie. I’ve taken lifesaving (or lifeguard training(?)) and First aid in Boy Scouts, ect… and we never had a friggin rubber woman laying there. You just need some pictures and somebody to explain the stuff. They can work on each other except for the lip to lip stuff. And a kid isn’t going to be able to do provide enough pressure to the sternum anyway. Also it’s important to learn the self-cpr and the self-heimlich depicted by Chris Farley and John Belushi respectively on SNL.

• polisavvy says:

So, what’s your point? I think that everyone should know it; however, as you pointed out, most children probably can’t do it effectively enough (pressure to sternum). Isn’t it true that if not done effectively or incorrectly that it could further endanger the victim?

4. Jane says:

This could be taught in S%* Ed, and we would not need Resusci Annie, it is called first then second base.

5. Bucky Plyler says:

The Red Cross , the American Heart Assoc., & local business sponsorship could be used to help accomplish this. However, I don’t see why it has to be mandated. Frankly, I’ve assumed that most educators would want it taught in health class!

6. chefdavid says:

This bill only makes perfect sense. After last years HB 229 you are going to need a lot of people in the schools who know first aid as the number of kids pass out from their annual fitness test.

7. Bill Greene says:

What the heck is government mandating first aid education for? Good grief, no wonder we’re in the mess we’re in. People have no clue as to the role of government.

• Mozart says:

If it costs money, Benev, it should not be included. And, it will cost more money in terms of books, supplies, and curriculum redesign.

8. chefdavid says:

I know…I know…I know.. We could have a sugary drink tax, I mean fee. It could pay for Annie, Trama Centers, the fitness test, the state deficit. I mean other states are doing it. We will just try and make Georgia’s fees on sugary drinks more modern like others. Did I mention this fee will solve transportation, also. Oh, I almost forgot it will solve childhood obesity, too.

• Game Fan says:

Only a bunch of idiots would tax real sugar at the same rate (because of health concerns) as high fructose corn syrup. But again, it’s the lobbyists who would like nothing more than to deal a final blow to the small manufacturers of quality sodas with high quality sweeteners which are much healthier. And don’t even get me started on aspartame. Again, politicians in the back pocket of the big corporations and the collectivists demanding higher taxes and don’t even research the issues.

9. todd rehm says:

For adult victims, mouth-to-mouth is no longer recommended. It has been shown that chest compressions only are more effective.

from WebMD:

“More than 70% of the time, the bystanders did nothing when a person suddenly collapsed. Those victims were less likely to survive, and more likely to have brain damage if they did survive, than when bystanders tried to do something.”

“Bystanders bravely gave traditional CPR to 18% of victims. And those patients did much better than those who got no bystander aid.”

“But victims were 2.2 times less likely to suffer brain damage if they were among the 11% of patients who got chest compressions only — without mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.”

10. Republican Lady says:

As a teenager, I found knowing how to do the Heimlich Maneuver was essential when babysitting, and I learned it in the Girls Club. Kids put everything in their mouths and occasionally, things got stuck. It also worked on my Dachsund years ago.