Hawkins On Health Care Vote

Senator Lee Hawkins, candidate for the 9th Congressional District, released the following statement today:

“With the Administration’s announcement yesterday of a set date for the health care vote, many American’s are in disbelief.

After months of outrage over the proposed health care bill, President Obama and House leadership have announced their plans to move forward on a vote with their version of health care reform.

“The plan of the Democrat’s to move forward with health care in the House is not shocking to me by any means, but am I disappointed…yes.” Said State Senator Lee Hawkins. “About the only positive I can find in this whole situation is that Nathan Deal will be up there to add one more vote against the bill.”

With passage of the Senate version of the bill in the House the health care bill would go straight to the desk of the President and most likely immediately be signed into law.

Senator Lee Hawkins has served in the Georgia Senate since 2006 and is a former President of the Georgia Dental Association and has spent over 30 years as a dentist in Gainesville, GA.”

1. Henry Waxman says:

I’m starting to get the feeling that some Republicans might be opposed to this whole ObamaCare thing…

2. Tyler says:

He’s actually going to vote this time? You know, since he missed over half the votes in the past year.

• Henry Waxman says:

Tyler, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and just assume you were too busy with your coursework to do any background research for this post. However, it is important to note that Rep. Deal’s missed votes almost exclusively happen on the first day of a legislative week, which is the day the U.S. House of Representatives votes on numerous bills of very minor consequence under a Suspension of the Rules. Here is a sample of some of the bills that Rep. Deal missed on Monday, February 22, and I’ll let you comment on their importance:

H.R. 4425 – To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2-116th Street in North Troy, New York, as the “Martin G. ‘Marty’ Mahar Post Office” (Rep. Tonko – Oversight and Government Reform)

H.R. 4238 – To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 930 39th Avenue in Greeley, Colorado, as the “W.D. Farr Post Office Building” (Rep. Markey (CO) – Oversight and Government Reform)

H.Res. 1039 – Supporting the goals and ideals of American Heart Month and National Wear Red Day (Rep. Lee (NY) – Oversight and Government Reform)

H.Res. 526 – Recognizing the historical and cultural significance of the John Mercer Langston Golf Course and its contributions to achieving racial equality (Del. Norton – Oversight and Government Reform)

• Icarus says:

Waxman,

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were too busy representing the good people of California to remember that Wyche Fowler lost a Senate seat trying to explain his voting record by saying he didn’t vote much, but he tried to vote when it was important.

• Tyler says:

The current salary for rank-and-file members of the U.S. House of Representatives is around $174,000/year, paid for by the taxpayers. I would argue that’s more than many in America make. Being a Congressman means being a public servant. It means sacrificing your time. I wish we’d have no meaningless bills and that our Representatives in Washington could only vote on important measures. None the less, they should still show up to vote because they are paid to do so. Private sector employees sometimes must go into meetings where no real work is done, and sometimes meetings are frivolous as well, but the employee must still show up; they are paid to show up.

I’m an idealist. I’m young so I have an excuse to be an idealist. Politics hasn’t beaten that out of me yet. So, yes I believe my Congressman should be present for every single vote, barring a major catastrophe or personal emergency. My $0.02.

• Republican Lady says:

Maybe if we cut the pay of congressional representatives, we could get their attention and the money could go to teacher salaries and other school related expenses. $174,000? Give them $100,000, give the $74,000 to teachers, and cut the retirement benefits for the representatives, then deal with the senator’s pay. Hmmmmm, wonder how long it would take to ease some of the debt? Thanks Tyler.

• provisional says:

Jeremy,
      You never know. I would have never thought that one of the GOP primary candidate was a financial backer of Max Cleland and was giving finacially to Democat candidates less than 10 years ago, but some people suprise you.

3. kdoc says:

Are the grammatical errors in the original statement? “…many American’s are in disbelief” “The plan of the Democrat’s to move forward…”

4. GVilleMan says:

I don’t see anything new in this release, thanks for the update Lee. I am from gainesville, but I could never imagine Lee Hawkins as my congressman. I made up my mind a few months ago when I heard the candidates speak, Bill Stephens for Congress.

5. reaganrev4 says:

Shouldn’t Jeremy Jones be out campaigning rather than posting on simple press releases by fellow candidates? And providing financial donations to democratic candidates, plural, is simply false, he gave Cleland $200…once. Some pretty steep financial backing wouldnt you say?

• provisional says:

So are you saying Max Cleland is the only Democrat that Hawkins has donated his hard earned money to???

6. reaganrev4 says:

And Hecht…once. So we are up to 2 total contributions to democrats who were personal family friends from what I’ve read amongst SEVERAL, now thats something substantial, contributions to fellow conservatives. Ask his fellow senate caucus members where his views stand on the issues, because they seem to overwhelmingly support him. Get over it, you are yet to respond to a single Hawkins mentioning without bringing up Cleland…your a broken record

• Part-Time Atlanta says:

Well, at least those two donations were to two of the more conservative democrats. I would have a problem with him if those donations were to liberals.

• Of course Cleland voted in favor of partial birth abortion and against SDI the same week while in the US Senate, so he’s almost a conservative, I’m sure.

7. GeorgiaConservative says:

All of the “Graves-Bots” are a broken record. It’s old and annoying.

Please, grow up.

• provisional says:

Since he works for Hawkins, I wouldn’t expect cleverness or creativity. They usually copy Graves releases, statements, ideas, etc…and put them out a couple of days later. So I guess in a way he is a graves-bot also.

• reaganrev4 says:

Creativity and cleverness would mean to mention max cleland in every post right? Provisional has mentioned graves in every post so you are clearly, if anyone, the one working for a campaign captain creativity

• provisional says:

No, if I did work for Tom he should fire me, I spend too much time hanging out on here to be a productive employee. Just enjoying my hard earned retirement and proud to support a true conservative.

• GeorgiaConservative says:

I didn’t realize creativity was a prerequisite to blogging. Sorry. Now I know so next time, I’ll think twice before posting.

And if you would have actually noticed the quotations around the Graves-Bots, then you would have known that it wasn’t me that had first coined the term.

8. GVilleMan says:

Speaking of borrowing, I noticed that Graves started talking about “Common Sense” in his new youtube video, maybe next time he should ask Bill Stephens before he starts stealing his lines…
    Here is Bill’s Video from 6 months ago

9. btpull says:

Personally I think the underlying driver for the Health Care initiative is to save Medicare. Since taking 6% of the younger generation’s total compensation still leaves 10’s of Trillions of dollars of unfunded liabilities the Dem’s want to drag the younger healthier low cost generations into a federally controlled Health Care system to offset the rising cost of caring for the older generations.

• B Balz says:

One of the better comments on Peach Pundit. We need reform:

Eliminate pre-existing conditions,
      Lifetime caps,

Make no mistake, the HC bill is a huge shift in MediCAID coverage as well. A big ‘selling’ point is that US Fed will pay 100% of State ‘Caid costs for the first 5 years, after ten years the ration is 80% US Fed coverage.

After 10 years millions of new enrollees on ‘Caid, and States are saddled with the bill.

‘Caid is not a single bed at Piedmont, BTW.

10. Jane says:

If Obama wins and most everyone is on Government health care, and Government HMO like officials have sovereign immunity, Trial lawyer will have lost a major source of their income. Government run and administered Health care even if it is private Docs working under Government supervision will have immunity like protection that Private Doc and Insurance companies do not enjoy now. I wonder if the Trial Lawyers have thought about that?