New polling for GOP gubernatorial primary

Continuing their week of releasing poll results for Georgia, Public Policy Polling has put out the numbers for the Republican primary for Governor.

These numbers show John Oxendine at the same spot that Insider Advantage’s recent poll and around the same as Rasmussen. Karen Handel makes a substantial jump, narrowing Oxendine’s lead to single-digits, Deal also makes a jump, however, this poll was done before his resignation and focus on his ethics problems.

As always, you can see a list of polling in both party primaries here.

GOP Primary for Governor
Oxendine: 27%
Handel: 19%
Deal: 13%
Johnson: 3%
Scott: 3%
Chapman: 2%
McBerry: 2%
Undecided: 32%

1. Tyler says:

Karen has a lot of momentum behind her going into March. Things will get interesting if it doesn’t slow down. I’m still thinking it’s Karen and Eric in the runoff. Of course, anything can happen.

2. GVilleMan says:

I hope Eric’s numbers come up, it would be a shame if they didn’t. No way Oxendine should be in front of Eric Johnson

3. Mayonnaise says:

Johnson is suffering from lack of name recognition ….Remember …. the next campaign contributions report closes March 31st….. Johnson may pass Oxendine and be the leader in Cash-on-Hand …. come April 1st ….. brand new ball-game

4. TheSituation says:

Keep trying Mayonnaise. I would swear you are on Johnson’s campaign staff as much as post for him. You keep telling us to wait. Frankly, I’m tired of waiting. With his poll numbers at 3%, time is running out. IMHO, I don’t see him being able to pull it off.

• Fred Smulavich says:

You know, the fact that John Oxendine is still at 27 % speaks volumes about just how little the “potential primary voters” are currently paying attention. I think that when April comes around there will be a whole lot of poll-shifting.

… not that I’m pulling for Johnson or anything 😉

• NonPartisanGA says:

Volumes?? LOL…. Oxendine IS STILL LOSING to the undecided 27-32% and not making any headway…we are just waiting on the fat lady to sing.

• Mayonnaise says:

Well, there are two other recent polls that have Johnson at 7% and with-in the margin of error of Deal and Handel. As for being on campaign staff, that would be a negative. Just a grassroots volunteer who believes Eric is the best choice for Governor.

– I don’t trust Ox and Deal

– Chapman, McBerry, and Scott don’t have the finances or name recognition

– Handel will never beat Barnes (many reasons for this)

That leaves only one choice …. and that is why the smart money is behind Johnson.

And you?

• Republican Lady says:

Please give me your reasons for believing Karen can’t beat Barnes? I’m very interested to hear your viewpoint.

• Mayonnaise says:

right or wrong …. too much OLD SOUTH left in Georgia … Bluedog males won’t vote for her ….

• Republican Lady says:

Gotcha! It is too bad that in 2010, people feel the need to waste female brain power. I had my son in my twenties, like many women. Once kids grow up and leave the nest, we women have about forty years to go before death and many of us want to make a difference to our community, state, nation, and world.

I got three of my four degrees after my son moved on and to know there are still men out there who don’t want women to advance is archaic and narrowminded. Hopefully, there are enough of the other kind to appreciate what Karen stands for and has to offer that they will out vote those who don’t.

• Mayonnaise says:

Well, how would she have done 30 years ago? So times do change and for the better in most cases. However, I think there is another danger for Handel which would be looking weak versus Barnes in one-on-one debates. That would lead to further stereotyping and kill her chances.

• ByteMe says:

I think the risk is bigger for Barnes, actually. He can’t attack too hard and get Southern men wanting to instinctively protect her and he can’t appear weak either and get men wondering if he has a pair and women wondering why he was being condescending. Picture Biden and Palen and how fast that could have gone south for Biden had he tried to attack her directly.

• Before my wife quit her day job to run our small business full time, she was an HVAC design engineer. She’s designed the heating and cooling systems for universities, large data centers, laboratories, etc. She was one of just a handful of women at the company she worked for. Times have changed, but we still have a long ways to go.

• Gary Cooper says:

Just like they didn’t vote for her in the 2006 SOS election? She will get male votes and enough to beat Barnes. An awful lot of males in Georgia that don’t like him.

• Provocateur says:

Wait, wait, wait. I thought the fact that Austin’s ad on this blog would propel him to somewhere in the top-3 tier position, no?

5. Technocrat says:

“superior name recognition. 69% of voters in the state know who [Barnes] he is, compared to 63% for Oxendine, 38% for Handel, and 29% for Deal.”
    Tell us again how many % of name recognition one gets for $100,000 in a 10 million state.
    Handel appears to be 63-38 or 25% behind, that will take $2.0 million to equalize in 135 days.

I cannot wait until March 31 cash on hand numbers are in.

6. CMOB says:

if cash makes you King it forgot to crown Roy. it helps but if you average Eric’s 7% and 3% he will need all the money he can put his hands on to get to the next level. he still my second choice.

7. Technocrat says:

If you shake 1,000 hands per day in 135 days you shake 135,000 hands. How do you get 5,000 -10,000 hands per day shook……..TV, radio, signs, billboards, airplane banners, flyers, refrig magnets, Ox hats and costumes, Rare OX EYE tarpon-herring for the ATL Aquarium
    You gotta have hundreds/thousands in the field to tell your story, but that isn’t the same as a handshake or a baby kiss.

There are 151,000 kissable babies of potential voters plus illegals [who knows?] under 1 year of age so add a 1100 + per day.

8. TPNoGa says:

Where do the candidates stand on the whole USG budget issue? Are they all in lockstep with the legislature or do they side with Sonny? Just curious.

• polisavvy says:

No. Several are against Sonny. To name a few: Austin Scott, who has been in the discussions this week because of his seniority; Senator Seth Harp and Representative Earl Ehrhart. Harp and Ehrhart were to meet with reporters this afternoon. I haven’t heard what they discussed with them. Not all are kissing the ring of Sonny.

9. TPNoGa says:

Am I the only one who thinks it’s a little unfair to ask the USG to endure a almost a third of the budget shortfall even though they only make up 12% of the budget? Dismantling the University system seems a tad short-sighted in my opinion.

• polisavvy says:

If cuts have to be made, then they have to be made. After seeing some of the salaries at UGA, it appears as though there have been some bad financial decisions made at UGA. Does any professor deserve a 26.18% pay increase? It they were told to make cuts a couple of years ago, then why have pay increases. Tough times call for cuts which are never popular.

• ByteMe says:

If that professor brought in a grant that was worth millions and is now running multiple grad students and bringing fame and fortune to the university, yes.

The problem with just looking at a number is the lack of context.

• polisavvy says:

But, if he’s not, what then? I’m just asking because I’d like to know more details about all of this. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find a source that describes whether or not this professor was responsible for grants. If that is the case, then he deserves an increase; as for a 26.18%, well that’s a huge chunk of change. Any ideas how we could locate that information? I’d be willing to dig if I knew where to start. Thanks in advance.

• TPNoGa says:

The risk you run in cutting salaries of professors is research dollars. A Huge amount of the money that keeps the schools going are research dollars. California professors are being poached by other states’ universities. A lot of the time the research dollars will go with the professor. You may save a couple hundred thousand dollars in salary, but lose tens of millions in grants. It’s a risk Georgia needs to take into account. I personally think they should raise tuition to make up for a good portion of the budget shortfall. But to cut state funds (which may be necessary) and not allow a tuition increase of any real value is not a good answer. Tuition in Georgia is very low compared with most states.

• polisavvy says:

How could we find this information? I’d be willing to research it if I only knew where to begin. Any ideas? As far as tuition goes, well I believe I said yesterday that Georgia was fortunate that the tuition rates here were lower than most. Even their out-of-state tuition is lower than most — perhaps there could be a compromise and raise out-of-state more and still keep the increase to in-state students less than $1,000. Just a thought.

10. rosco says:

It’s also worth pointing out that 92% of USG employees make under $100,000 a year and 70% of USG employees make less than $50,000 a year. This especially includes professors at two-year and four-year colleges who teach 4-5 classes a semester and have 125-160 students. Now, we might could cut the pay of some the of higher administrators. But the idea that most USG employees are pulling in the big bucks and that a good deal of money could be saved by cutting their salaries is a myth.

The legislature needs to look to a mix of options such as modest tuition increases, higher tobacco taxes, Sunday alcohol sales and the like to help close the budget gap. Gutting the USG, however, would seriously drag down Georgia’s economy and tax base in the long run as college educated people tend to get higher paying jobs and in Georgia pay 72% more in taxes on average.