Karen Handel On ‘The Regular Guys’

I keep watching a lot of folks here, many of them sock puppets, try to claim that Karen Handel uses the same scripted and repetitive answers when in debates or on the campaign trail.

Frankly, I’ve been to a lot of her events, and I don’t see it.

For those who don’t think she can roll with the punches, I offer to you the following clip from yesterday morning’s segment with Rock 100.5 FM’s Atlanta morning show, The Regular Guys.

1. macho says:

Could you imagine Ox or Deal going on that show, to roll with the most unpredictable guys on the radio – no way. Any candidate would have a lot of anxiety, because you just don’t know what the hell they are going to start talking about. Ox and Deal would be too terrified they start joking about all their ethics problems.

• AlanR says:

This was a very good day for Handel’s campaign. I don’t know howthe others would perform, and that’s part of macho’s point. They need to be doing this kind of thing and doing it as well as Handel and so far theyre not.

• polisavvy says:

I didn’t say it wasn’t a good day for her. I agree with you that the others should be doing the same and some are planning on doing just that. I was just agreeing with macho that I don’t think Ox and Deal would do a good job with the types of questions those guys would throw at them. A couple of other candidates could hold their own with the Regular Guys. It’s just March and a lot of time to go and do radio and television spots. Of course, if any do attempt to do something similar, they will be accused of not being “original.”

• kcordell says:

I haven’t heard Nathan on any shows other than WDUN with Al Gainey. He refused to take questions from the listening audience.

2. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

I dont see the big deal here Icarus. Looks like you created a straw man type issue from your intro just to post Handel material. Yes, we get it. You are in the tank 🙂

• I Am Jacks Post says:

While he did in this instance, Icarus doesn’t need to manufacture a straw man to post material favorable to his candidate(s). He does it all the time. You obviously missed his recent post, “McGinnittie eats sandwhich, 31 people come to Jesus.”

• polisavvy says:

I think Icarus is fair to most of the candidates, except a very few. He’s just putting out information/links for us to see. What we do is our decision.

3. Technocrat says:

Now if Karen took testosterone or had an alternative relationship I might support her, more. {putting some less than honorable rumors to rest}.
    Estrogen scares the crap out of me in a politican.
    As it did the Texans recently, obviously being a sitting Senator didn’t help either.

The REAL QUESTIONS are Georgians ready for a woman Governor?
    Will the Red Necks vote for her? Will the Red Necks wives support her?

Would Roy Barnes have an edge just based on sex alone?

Sure wished the DemoKrats had put up a female candidate, but they know better. Maybe for Senator or Congress as a first step.

• polisavvy says:

While I am not supporting Ms. Handel, I think you rant is a very sexist and unnecessary.

• AlanR says:

Poli — Give him a break. Technocrats having an alternative relationship with reality. Try not to drive or operate equipment until that flashing thing in your field of vision stops. It’ll be a couple more hours. And don’t take any more of the blue ones.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

Hello? Clues available here – get one today Technocrat!

The reason KBH did so poorly is that voters do not want DC answers in their states. Paging Goober & Gomer at the auto salvage yard – make sure Nathan understands that.

4. Mike Hauncho says:

This is a whole lot better than when Sonny used to call in with the Bert Show for hot mom check-in.

A candidate for Gov that can relate to the Regular Guys is a good thing. It shows they are connected to the real world and not just policy wonks.

• Progressive Dem says:

Connecting to the real world is fine, but since when are high paid entertainers who work in a recording studio an example of the real world.

And before the Handel handlers go googly-eyed about her performance, let’s remember these regular white guys appeal to fairly narrow demographic. Their station is not even among the top ten rated stations in Atl.

• kyleinatl says:

No kidding, they’re basically “Howard Stern-lite”…why not get Sirius radio and listen to the real thing? FAR more entertaining.

5. Glen Ross says:

Karen’s pretty nimble here. Good job. Why does she struggle with fundraising so much?

• Karen did a tremendous job. Karen Handel is one of the best communicators in government. She connects well with people and is tenacious in her campaigning. What is even more important is that she is consistent and effective in the positions she’s held.

On the fundraising side, it’s tough all over. The economy is tight and donors give to a sure bet. As the polling numbers tighten up watch her financials increase. However, even if they didn’t, this is a serious candidate simply because she KNOWS how to campaign.

• Mozart says:

Already has. She did it in her 2006 campaign about the non-trackability of electronic voting machines, and then 180-ed when she hired the lobbyist for the firm responsible for selling the machines to the SOS office as her Deputy SOS.

• NorthGAGOP says:

Just in case inquiring minds want to know. Barnes bought the machines. Handel had nothing to do with decision. Will have to find out if the lobbyist had anything to do with the Barnes decision, as I do not know they answer.

• NorthGAGOP says:

I just made a few calls. The touch screen voting machines were first used in 2002. Handel was not even in public office in 2002. The lobbyist was not working for the firm that lobbied Barnes and Cox for the machine purchase.

• Mozart says:

I do not recall stating Handel had anything to do with “buying” the machines.

But, thanks for playing “Muddle The Field of Information With Falsehoods.”

• Mozart says:

AND…Diebold did hire Massy/Bowers a few years after the original purchase in 2002. Rob Simms worked for Massey/Bowers as a lobbyist and then Simms went to go work for Handel as Deputy and talked Handel out of doing anything about the machines (that she had agreed to do while running for office in 2006) because Simms was still pals with Massey/Bowers who were then lobbyists for Diebold.

• Mozart says:

I rebutted NorthGaGOP with facts, RL. But, I can see that you will ignore facts regardless.

So, stop claiming you want “facts” when you refuse to recognize the ones I give. You might as well be one of the Democrats from 1998 during the Clinton debacle. “Blue dress? I don’t see no blue dress.”

6. Technocrat says:

Male Republican voters are sexists in general, too much demoKratic touchy/feely political correctness seems to be creeping into the discussion.
    Remember there are two Georgia’s.

We will see in November or July, I cannot wait.
    Put your money and time up for Karen to prove me wrong…..make me suffer and squeeeeeeeeel like a PIG.

Maybe we can have a Televised REAL PP water Dunk in November for the supporters of losers. I’m Game.

7. polisavvy says:

It’s not a situation of political correctness, it’s common decency and courtesy not to make remarks like that about any women, rather they are running for an office or just working in one.

8. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Sorry Handelistas, but I see that she’s resurrected the old Northern Arc (Something we desperately need) issue for political gain. Geez, she’s bordering into OX territory as far as pandering.

Discalimer: I am a sockpuppet for “undecided” “some other candidate” and “no opinion.” They’re all preferable to who we have running today.

9. BuckheadConservative says:

I never thought Karen was stiff or canned with her replies, I’ve just always thought she didn’t “connect”. I don’t know how to put it, but at the end of her speeches or debates, it’s always just sort of lukewarm. Austin Scott clicks, though he’s gotta do a lot of clicking between now and the election.

Karen obviously knows what she’s talking about. More of this Karen will do her well.

• AthensRepublican says:

I always thought she came across as stern and angry in debates. She had good intelligent answers. I am glad to see her lighter side and I hope she will share more of that in her campaign going forward.

10. John Konop says:

I have been critical of Karen about her take charge CEO style personality with people. And the ironic part that is why I support her, because I think we need someone like that in tough times to make tough calls.

Icarus is right Karen showed a different side of herself with this interview. Karen is always very quick on her feet, because she is smart and very well prepared on issues, but I have never the humor side like this interview.

11. IndyInjun says:

Karen Handel was very witty and just plain impressive. Most pols do not adapt well in impromptu formats that they cannot control.

Thanks for posting it.

I remain undecided between KH, EJ, and AS.

I am totally decided about JH and ND…….the decision is No.

12. Gary Cooper says:

Yeah, count me as undecided between her and Austin Scott. I think she did well in that setting and should score her some points. I was impressed with her and would like to see more of this from her and Austin as we get closer to the primary.

13. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

For the record, I like and respect Karen Handel. Politics and commenting on it is a lot like walking into a boxing match.

And when it comes, politicking , propaganda, the press and blogging and so on I know the difference between a nice chicken sandwich and chicken sh*t .

It depend on who is serving either.

14. slyram says:

Can you imagine the Democrat women who would vote for her? If Barnes starts to look strong, that’s a factor that should be considered before the primary. It’s hard for some people to see but party is not the only variable with some voters. I would have voted for Dr. Condi Rice for president if Obama or Hillary weren’t in the game and General Powell back in the day would have been an easy vote.

• Henry Waxman says:

Yeah, like all the Democrat women that supported Sarah Palin, sweeping John McCain into office in the ’08 elections…And like all the Democrat women that crossed over to vote for Elizabeth Dole in the 2000 presidential primaries…

• Henry Waxman says:

Under that logic, the GOP should nominate a female candidate in every potentially close race with a male Democrat.

• Say what you want, but I know people who voted for Hillary ONLY because she was a female, and for no other reason. They had no idea what her stance was on any issues and didn’t care. Talk about a frustrating conversation…

• Kellie says:

There are women who will vote for another woman for that reason alone; there are also pro-choice/pro-life people who will vote for someone for that reason alone; there are gun owners who will vote on that issue alone; there are states rights who do the same. Some people have one thing that gets them to the polls and that’s America.

15. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

Geeezzz Eric? I mean I would vote for Eric before Oxy and Deal but I feel Eric looked the other way in regards to the Richardson burn out.

You people that want to respond that there was no DNA evidence to Eric looking the other way, don’t waste your time.

• Mozart says:

Ludwig, what part of your brain refuses to understand the concept of evidence beyond “well, everyone knows so-and-so kissed so-and-so”?

• Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

I address your reply above in advance. That’s how well my brain works.

This medium cant spend 3 weeks going after Jerry Keen on that and play Perry Mason with Eric Johnson. They were on the same committee ..