Updated: Deal Changes Mind

Jamie Dupree of WSB Radio is reporting that Nathan Deal has changed his mind on his resignation and will be staying in Congress through March for the health care debate and vote.

Congressman Phil Gingrey inadvertently broke the news about Deal’s decision: “Deal is putting Georgians-and all Americans first-by seeing this debate through”.

Deal’s press release:

WASHINGTON – Following President Obama’s Wednesday announcement that he would seek a quick vote on health care, Congressman Nathan Deal, R-Ga., today announced that he will postpone his resignation until later in March. Deal discussed the change with Governor Sonny Perdue, who strongly encouraged him to stay.

“Just two days after I announced my intentions to leave Congress, the majority party stepped up the schedule for the proposed health care bill. Having been deeply involved in all health care legislation for the past decade, I knew it was important to stay and vote down this bill.

“I announced my resignation from Congress to focus on winning the Republican primary for governor so as to deny Roy Barnes the opportunity to face the Republican candidate who currently leads solely based on name recognition, but is the one Republican that Roy Barnes is sure to defeat.

“Yesterday, as I listened to President Obama’s aggressive push for a quick vote on ‘Obama-Care,’ it was clear that I must stay in Congress and continue to fight against the most liberal health care agenda ever proposed.”

Icarus broke the story earlier this week about Deal’s resignation. Deal dealt with the fallout of his decision almost immediately.

According to the AJC:

This afternoon, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs set March 18 as the deadline by which President Barack Obama expects final passage of a health care bill.

Deal has decided to delay his resignation to fight the Democrat’s health care reform, but still faces the possibility of his ethics inquiry resurfacing. This week just gets “curiouser and curiouser”.

Update: Jim Galloway explains why Deal’s resume complicates election dates:

The delay of Deal’s resignation could also put pressure on the governor to delay a special election to fill the 9th District seat until the July primary. The earliest such an election could be held now is mid-May. The primary is July 20.

Theoretically, a special election concurrent with the July primary would benefit Deal’s gubernatorial chances by creating a strong 9th District turnout to fill his shoes.

But it would also be confusing, requiring two rounds of balloting: One would be a special, non-partisan election to fill Deal’s term through the end of 2010. The same candidates, most of them Republican, would appear on the ballots selected by Democratic and Republican voters.

A second round of voting, for the full two-year term that begins next January, would be segregated by party. Republican voters would only be able to vote for Republican candidates, and Democratic voters could only vote for Democratic candidates.

1. NorthGAGOP says:

First he runs away from the vote, then the WSJ and other blast him for running, so now he decides to stay. Deal is NOT the kind of leadership that Georgia needs.

• In The Arena says:

The healthcare situation is not the same as it was on Monday. Yes politics is a dynamic field and things do change in a week’s time. President Obama immediately adjusted his plans in response to Deal’s resignation. Probably sounded pretty appealing to Obama to ruin to Deal’s campaign by expediting his signature healthcare legislation. Deal reacted to Obama and the new situation at hand to keep this horrible legislation from being forced down our throats.

• Provocateur says:

So, “leaders” are never allowed to change their minds? Interesting viewpoint. Flawed, but interesting.

• Rick Day says:

Why yes they are. But didn’t your Team Rove™ come up with the term FLip-Flopper

I mean..in 2004 it was damn near Un-American to be labeled a flip-flopper.

I hope your hooter is longer than your memory, or your future generations will be lacking, as well.

• Groundpounder says:

Leaders in combat as well as in politics have to make decisions with only the information available at the time of the decision. Considering the back lash of what could happen if the GOP does not succeed by one vote and it was his, it would mean certain political death. He had no choice but to stand and fight after the president’s speech. The battlefield changed.

• SFrazier says:

Deal is exactly what Georgia needs.
      House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Virginia, met with Deal on Thursday in Washington.
      “When dealing with legislation of the size, scope, and cost of the Democrats’ health care overhaul, every Member of Congress should be listening to his constituents and representing their viewpoints. Nathan Deal is doing just that, and I join many Georgians – and Americans – in praising his decision,” Cantor said.
      “The Democrats’ health care overhaul will affect every single American. If President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, and Leader Reid use partisan reconciliation to jam a trillion dollar health care overhaul through Congress and subvert the will of a majority of Americans, we will do everything in our power to give that majority a voice during the vote,” Cantor said.

• SFrazier says:

U.S. Rep. John Linder, R-Duluth
      “Knowing that he needs to dedicate himself to his race for Governor, Congressman Deal put what’s best for himself aside to fulfill his commitment to his constituents. This selflessness epitomizes what it means to be a public servant, and I would expect nothing less from my good friend. I appreciate Congressman Deal’s willingness to remain and help us make a stand against the Democrat’s government take-over of health care.”

• polisavvy says:

Amen! I certainly hope that people realize that. As far as the Ethics investigation, well I guess it will continue, right?

• polisavvy says:

Me, too. I have heard that Phil Gingrey is a big supporter of his, but isn’t he running for re-election this year? Couldn’t his statement of “Deal is putting Georgians-and all Americans first-by seeing this debate through” come back and haunt him? I mean really. Didn’t Deal know that the vote was coming relatively soon when he made his decision to cut and run? Talk about a flip-flopper!

• IndyInjun says:

Talk about a flip-flopper!

This surprises with his voting record?

He switched parties and kept voting Democrat ways.

• polisavvy says:

That was funny, Indy! Couldn’t help but laugh. I completely forgot about the flip-flopping of parties — how could I have forgotten that?

• SFrazier says:

.S. Rep. Phil Gingrey, R-Marietta “I applaud Congressman Deal’s decision to remain in Washington until the health care debate concludes and a vote is taken,” Gingrey said. “Although Georgia’s Republican leaders had asked him to focus exclusively on his gubernatorial campaign, Congressman Deal is putting Georgians – and all Americans first – by seeing this debate through until the end and helping to stop a government takeover of our health care. This is yet another example of the consummate leader that Nathan Deal is and I am proud to call him my colleague and friend.”

• Atlanta says:

Amen. The point is that he was willing to let it all go in the first place. It took convincing for him to do what was right. I don’t see how this possibly plays well.

• SFrazier says:

Have you looked at our front runners for the GOP gubernatorial race? Deal was putting Ga first, by staying he is putting America first…

House Republican Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, applauded Deal’s decision.
      “Nathan Deal’s decision to remain in Congress for the upcoming health care vote is indicative of his long dedication to standing up for a common sense approach to changing health care,” Boehner said. I’m pleased I can count on him now, just as I have during our years of service together in the House.”
      Boehner said the House may decide the fate of the Obama plan.
      “In recent days it has become clear to the American people that the House will be the final battleground in their effort to stop President Obama’s massive health care takeover from becoming law. The House is the last line of defense against this 2,700-page big government monstrosity, and the American people need every vote they can get in the effort to stop it from being enacted.”

2. ByteMe says:

It’s all about the dominoes and keeping about half the legislature from quitting to run for a special election. Perdue doesn’t give a damn about the health care debate; he’s more worried that the legislature will grind to a halt.

3. GOPGeorgia says:

Some of you people are funny. You don’t like when he plans to resign, you don’t like it when he plans to stay a while longer. At least now, I don’t have to hear he was dodging a report and that he was helping the Dems pass healthcare.

• polisavvy says:

You really don’t think that people aren’t going to wonder why he didn’t think this whole thing through before making a decision to resign in the first place, are you? It’s not like the word “health care” just magically popped up. It’s all that’s been talked about on Capitol Hill for an extended period of time. Surely he heard about that a vote was eminent.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Deal quote: “Just two days after I announced my intentions to leave Congress, the majority party stepped up the schedule for the proposed health care bill”

Schedules change. I remember a few weeks ago President Obama was going to focus on jobs. I think that lasted 48 hours.

• ByteMe says:

Stepped up? Nice spin. It was always on the docket for finishing by end of February one way or the other.

Maybe he’s hoping no one notices.

• SFrazier says:

You are just upset because you know Deal is the only candidate Barnes has no chance of beating.

• polisavvy says:

I hope you didn’t think I was being a smart$ss because that was not my intention. I was just wondering why this was not thought through a little better, that’s all. The President said last week that he wanted something done before recess. Recess is in a few weeks. Looks like he would have known that if the President wanted something by recess that the vote would be coming soon. That’s all I was trying to convey. Perhaps I worded it incorrectly and, if so I’m sorry, but that was my questioning.

• chefdavid says:

You have better watch that wording or ByteMe will call you out. I to agree we have all heard the pressure to get this through. It was a bad decision to resign. I am glad he is staying to vote. It will be very interesting to see what the next polls show. I predict a snowdive.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Key words “this afternoon.”

• ByteMe says:

So you’re thinking maybe everyone in Congress was waiting for Gibbs to announce a date for Congress to get something done? Hahahahahahaha.

*shakes head*

• polisavvy says:

Oh Happy Birthday to me! Last year my emergency gall bladder surgery on my birthday, this year the vote. Can’t wait for next year.

• reaganrev4 says:

Of course you can’t think things completely through in politics. especially the way the political climate is with this current administration. Trust me, I am no more a Deal supporter than you are, he is costing 9th district counties millions to hold special elections. However, Obama responded to his resignation by putting a definitive date on Obamacare, Deal then responded to Obama. Do you really think Deal thought changing his mind two days later was a good idea? No, he was left with little choice. Given the position he put himself in with resigning, he did the right thing, bit the bullet and reneged on his resignation

4. SavannahDem says:

Deal should edit the press release to read: “I was against resigning before I was for resigning before I against resigning.”

5. fishtail says:

Throw in the fact that greedy Nathan will get a few more weeks of his high Congressional salary. I know that is a big consideration for the money grubber.

6. Pine Knot says:

The healthcare situation is not the same as it was on Monday. Yes, politics is a dynamic field and things do change in a week. President Obama immediately adjusted his plans in response to Nathan’s resignation. Probably sounded pretty appealing to Obama to ruin to Deal’s campaign by expediting his signature healthcare legislation. Deal reacted to Obama and the new situation at hand to keep this horrible legislation from being forced down our throats.

7. ready2rumble says:

GOPGeorgia,
    You do a great job consistantly spinning for Deal. Nice to see you are “neutral” in the governors race.

• ByteMe says:

He’s just doing his job protecting his homey. Can’t fault him for that in this case, just accept that you’re going to get Republican spin all the time from him and you’ll be fine.

• ByteMe says:

He most definitely is honest about it. He placed his morals in a blind trust when it comes to the Republican Party and makes no bones about it. He and I have had several hard-core interactions over it. He won’t say “boo” about a Republican unless they are convicted and not running for or occupying an office in Georgia.

Such is life. Can’t win everyone over from the Dark Side.

• GOPGeorgia says:

I have the same attitude that the same applies to members of the Dem party unless I know something that most other people don’t. I believe in innocent until proven guilty. I have even give Congressman Rangle and Sen. Chris Dodd a pass, but I predict a replacement by a member of the GOP in at least one of those cases. If they are guilty of something, I’d like to see them held accountable. That’s almost the exact same thing I said regarding congressman Deal..

• GOPGeorgia says:

I feel free to chime in when I see others being unfairly chastised. I’ve weighed in on behalf of OX before. Sometimes, they earn their lumps, via grandmother comments, or campaign staff gone wild (for the ox.) Karen is not attacked that often and neither is Johnson. Whomever the front runner is will be taking a few hits. Sometimes they deserve them. In this case, I don’t think his resigning or postponing his resigning is a big a situation as many make it out to be. I see hypocrites on this thread who first didn’t want him to resign and now are complaining that he’s not doing it fast enough. Shame on them.

• ByteMe says:

Don’t take this personally, GOPGA, but I happen to agree with you on the way the same people are beating up Deal for resigning and for not resigning. I think BOTH attacks on him for those two actions are silly, the same as the attacks on Handel for resigning were silly. The ethics thing is still fair game as far as I’m concerned, but the resigning/unresigning is just inside baseball BS and there are more important things to worry about.

• Provocateur says:

“there are more important things to worry about”

Not on THIS blog. This blog is the king of triviality and small mindedness.

• polisavvy says:

You know, I am inclined to agree with you in some instances. I just don’t like offending people. It really does bother me. Even if someone is snide to me, I try not to get down on their level. Sorry, but I don’t like making enemies.

• benevolus says:

It’s different on the internet though. I mean, that’s kind of the big THING about the internet isn’t it? We get to express our alter egos a little bit more. (I know I am much less confrontational in person.) I assume everybody understands that the rules are a little bit looser in here than they are out there in the air and puts on their thicker skin.

I wasn’t always this way. I spent a lot of time trying to protect civility on the web. But the only thing that matters is what the owners of the website want.

• polisavvy says:

Which is what? Constant bickering and name calling? Is that what they want? If so, they got it. I am thick skinned and very hard headed, I just don’t like offending anyone. I can take them being rude to me, I just don’t like to be rude or nasty back. Not my style. Of course, if pushed to the limit, I can go off; however, I do feel that I might have been rude to GOPGeorgia unintentionally and for that I am sorry. I’m sure that some of those behind the screens are probably not as tough as they think they are, right?

• IndyInjun says:

Actually, I have a much more temperate personna on the other blogs on which I comment.

When I came to PP I had had a gut full of GOP officials voting totally opposite of the party’s principles. I also had had a gut full of pseudo- conservative Bush apologists who demanded lock step loyalty with an utterly disastrous administration that had made war with true conservatives for 8 freaking years.

Call me a paleoconservative, if you wish, but most of all call me a true REPUBLICAN who insists demands that party officials honor stated principles or get the HELL OUT OF MY PARTY.

Until the standards and principles of the Republican party are changed to reflect whatever principles (the only one I can detect is expediency that change by moment) guide party officials voting records, I belong in this party.

Some of you don’t.

ps…..This is what the Tea Partiers are all about, in case you didn’t get the memo, and I don’t think they/we are going to be easily co-opted.

• polisavvy says:

Indy, I wasn’t meaning you. I envision you to be just like you come across — a no-nonsense kind of guy. All your posts are a constant indicator of that, too. Rather people like you or don’t like you, you seem to continue to be the same all the time. I kind of like that part of you. I may not agree with you all the time, but I do agree with you a lot.

• Pine Knot says:

I wish they could be, but a Republican in MA, NY, or CA, can’t be like an Eric Cantor. We have to regain the majority, and we have to have appropriate canidates for their area. We can’t have a litmus test.

• Mozart says:

This blog allows us to re-act West Side Story rumbles…except one day you can be a Shark, and the very next day be a Jet with your stiletto.

Except, we don’t get to sing on here…darn it!

• benevolus says:

Opponents will try to exploit any advantage. Same is true in sports, business, and Survivor. Hard to tell in advance what will “stick” and what won’t.

• polisavvy says:

I guess you’re right. Maybe I should just forget about it. There are people on here who are supporting other candidates and I don’t try to alienate them. I don’t understand why anyone would.

• AlanR says:

On the ByteMe silly scale — how silly is it for Deal to criticize Handel for resigning, then resigning, then deciding not to resign, for a while anyway?

Seriously, I’m relieved he’s staying on for the health care vote. No matter how he’s voted in the past, he’ll vote right on this, and its that important.

• polisavvy says:

It’s pretty silly alright. I do agree with you, I think he’ll vote against the health care bill. We need him to do that. How do you think it’s looking right now? From what I heard today on the news, some Dems are falling out of step.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Not offended by you at all. Congressman Deal’s resignation, non-resignation, will cause him to drop in favor of the political pundits who eat and breath politics. His remarks about Handel’s resignation ring hollow now, and that’s something his campaign will have to ride out. Most of the average voters in the GOP primary across the state barely know his name out side of the Ninth.

I think Newt once said, I don’t care what they say about me in the papers as long as they get my name right. It is earned media, but it can’t be called all good. Then again, it’s not all bad either.

8. GVilleMan says:

This is absolutely absurd, the voters will see this indecision as weakness. He is not thinking in the best interest of the voters or of his district, Nathan Deal should just resign. period.

• AlanR says:

No. The health care vote is absolutely the most important vote of Deal’s career. It matters for the future. Whatever the reason, he needs to stay and vote no.

• ~M~ says:

And what happens March 30th if he finds out there will be more HC votes (and I’m sure there will be)? Will he still resign or duck out before the ethics committee can release their report.

9. HobnailedBoot says:

Deal. Real Liar.

“A spokesman for Deal said the congressman was urged by House Republican Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) — as well as Gov. Sonny Perdue — to remain for the health care vote.”

“Perdue spokesman Bert Brantley said that Deal indeed called the governor to let him know he had decided to postpone his resignation.

The governor, Brantley told my AJC colleague Aaron Gould Sheinin, “encouraged him to represent us well in D.C.” But asked whether the governor encouraged Deal to remain in the U.S. House, Brantley said that Deal had already made that decision.”

Did Sonny ask Deal to stay or not? Sounds like he didn’t to me.

Deal. Real Liar.

• Henry Waxman says:

So, Deal is a liar because a Perdue staffer seemed to imply that Perdue didn’t ask him to stay in Congress? Did Brantley listen to the full conversation? Did Brantely directly ask Perdue whether he asked Deal to stay or not?

It seems that someone is taking a few huge leaps to call an honorable man a liar.

10. jackson says:

I encourage everyone to read the previous threads on this site, with Indy’s comments of particular interest.

Its obvious that “the right thing” in Indy’s mind is always the opposite of what Nathan Deal decides to do. If it werent so sad, it would be hilarious.

Mad that he was leaving congress when we needed his voted on health care by leaving. Furious that he must be avoiding an imminent ethics report that is waiting to be released, but now cant be. Upset he would cost taxpayers money with a special election.

Now that hes staying, he cant use any of those frivolous political talking points supplied to him by whomever he is shilling for. Bugger!

• IndyInjun says:

I don’t care for Deal because of

1. His voting record versus GOP principles.
      2. His getting on the 15 “Most Corrupt” list.

#1 trumps #2.

I don’t think you can find where I faulted him for resigning because of the health care vote as I find that a tempest in a teapot. I suggested that by resigning he avoided an ethics investigation. Those are entirely different things.

On this thread I made fun of his inconsistent voting record, nothing more. This is consistent with #1 above.

Savannah Dem’s comment brought to mind a squirrel in the middle of the road and I laughed at it.

Deal is not a REPUBLICAN because of this voting record. which is contrary to every major tenet of the party. This is the center of my contention with him.

You don’t like it because you are demonstrably supporting a fake.

Deal slipped into #1 in the race of candidates least fit to be governor. He personifies what the people detest about the Republican Party and the reason Obama is President.

• Pine Knot says:

Are you for the Republican Party or against it? Deal VOTED with the GOP nearly 100% of the time. Also, have you researched who funds and who is behind CREW’s list? He is one of the most influential people in the house against OBAMACARE on the comm. I see a connection on that. I agree some Republicans have been a problem. Saxby, Johnny, ect.

• IndyInjun says:

Deal VOTED with the GOP nearly 100% of the time.

He and they abandoned party principles – that itself is the point.

CREW nailed Rangel and the Dems forced him out of his chairman’s job. There were 8 Dems on that list, meaning the majority were Dems.

I don’t just want Deal gone, I want them ALL gone.

• IndyInjun says:

As I posted on another thread, I want every Congressman who went along with the Bush agenda from 2001 – 2008 gone. Georgians would include Deal, Kingston, Gingrey, and Linder.

These are folks who, against stated party principles, voted for Medicare D, NCLB. highway bill, farm bill and doubling of the debt. On the causations of the GREATEST THEFT IN WORLD HISTORY, the financial collapse of 2008, the operative acts were confirmation of Ben Bernanke, Chris Cox, CFMA of 2000, GLB Act, and cessation of FDIC premiums. On a personal level, as I love the Constitution, the terrible acts were the Military Commissions Act and Patriot Act which now are in the hands of Obama to terrorize conservatives.

Wise conservative voices like Arnaud de Borchgrave warned in 2002 of what turned out to be a terrible strategic error in the ‘war on terror’ None of these guys listened. Now 8 years have passed and the real danger is escalating.

In my entire life I have no seen a more ruinous cadre of fools representing this state.

Yeah, I want them GONE.

They have grievously harmed everyone reading this posting, even those temporarily ‘benefiting’ by being on the gravy train.

Broun, Price, and Westmoreland get a pass because they were not there for the duration.

• Henry Waxman says:

Please check your facts before you start posting. CREW did not nail Rangel. The House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct caught Rangel because they did follow up on the trips because the trips were submitted to the Committee for clearance.

• Henry Waxman says:

Indy, I hope you are not trying making up the fact that CREW “nailed” Rangel because you want to people to think that CREW is somehow non-partisan. If you are as conservative and plugged-in as you claim to be, you would know that CREW, like everything else George Soros has founded or funded, exists for the sole purpose of implementing the very policies true conservatives oppose with every fiber of our beings.

• John Konop says:

Henry,

In all due respect CREW went after many Democrats on their blog ie Rangel, Blagojevich, Paterson…….. They really do not look like a partisan group toward any party.

Also the below statement seems to out more Lawmakers not just Rangel.

WASHINGTON–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Upon learning that Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY) will be admonished for taking a trip to the Caribbean paid for by Carib News, CREW Executive Director Melanie Sloan stated, “The Ethics Committee’s decision makes no sense. There is simply no reason for Rep. Rangel alone to be held accountable for taking this trip when a number of other members were also present.”

Sloan continued, “The notion that Rep. Rangel alone was aware the trip was sponsored by corporate donors defies logic. There were banners identifying specific corporate donors and Rep. Donald Payne (D-NJ), publicly thanked corporate sponsors. The fact is, each and every member of Congress present was equally as culpable as Rep. Rangel and all should be held to the same standards.

• IndyInjun says:

Exactly.

8 of the 15 were Democrats.

To we, the unrabid, that looks pretty darned even.

• IndyInjun says:

In your sense of the word “nailed” which I wasn’t using, the AJC “nailed” Deal and CREW included him on their list of people “nailed’ by others.

There, that makes it consistent.

11. fishtail says:

What if ObamaCare doesn’t get approved within the 3 weeks before Congressional Spring Break? Will Nathan stick around for however long it takes? What if the House Ethics Comittee cranks up and gets hot on his trail? Will he stick around and face the music from the Ethics Committee ? Watch for this scenario to develop. We will see how much he cares about fighting ObamaCare when his own political health hangs in the balance. I predict he will bail again and look dumber than ever.

• rightofcenter says:

we get it fishbreath, you don’t like Nathan Deal. The other day, he resigned to avoid the Ethics Committee. Now that he has delayed the resignation, you have to find some other red herring to froth at the mouth about. Give it a rest.

• fishtail says:

Nathan Deal might be more believable if he says he is going to stay in Congress AS LONG AS IT TAKES TO DEFEAT OBAMACARE and no matter what the House Ethics Committee does to him. I predict he will cut and run (resign) if he even has a smidgen of a chance of having to face the House Ethics Comittee.

12. Ironlady says:

Deal has said that he is dedicated to the best interest of the people of Georgia. Clearly, he has shown this by his most recent decision to stay in DC. In determining that he serves best by working to prevent the giant step towards socialism Obama seems determined to take, Deal has incurred the scorn of many of you; he is no longer able to focus totally on the governor’s race (and make no mistake, Georgia needs Deal as it next governor) — Deal is a standup guy — he has taken a stance that is in the best interest of Georgia — wow — what a thing for a politician to do.

• IndyInjun says:

So principles of the people and party be damned, Deal now is the arbiter of what is “the best interest of the people of Georgia.”????

Big government knows better than the people what is in our “best interests?”

That is downright Democrat of him.

• GOPGeorgia says:

If he said he was staying in congress to vote for Obamacare, you rant would be closer to the truth. Yes you can disagree with his previous votes, but you need to give credit where it is due. He’s planning on voting “no” on the healthcare bill. Isn’t that what you want him to do?

13. Lawton Sack says:

Interesting jab from this morning’s Deal campaign email:

“I announced I was leaving Congress to focus on winning the Republican primary for governor so as to deny Roy Barnes the opportunity to face the Republican candidate who currently leads solely based on name recognition. He is the one Republican Roy Barnes is sure to defeat,” Deal said.