Daniel Stout, The Rest Of The Story.

Last week, shortly after this post, I received a call from a person who knows Daniel Stout. We talked about the situation for a while and was asked if I would like to speak with Stout. I said yes and later that day we spoke. I found him to be a man who is humble and transparent. He made no excuse for himself and spoke openly about his faith. Obviously he would rather not talk about it, but he doesn’t dodge questions when asked. He is a man who knows what it’s like to hit rock bottom and move on with life. He knows what it’s like to ask for and receive forgiveness. Frankly, I like those kind of people.

Contrary to what a few folks on the Georgia Gang said this week, this story did not break in the AJC the day before the election. It appeared on a Paulding County website a week earlier. How many people actually heard about it I don’t know, nor do I know how this will impact Stout’s reelection effort in July.

Since Stout has been elected, I’ve heard some say that he should have told the voters about this a long time ago. I couldn’t disagree more. Stout never wronged me, nor the voters of the district in which he was elected. He made it right with the people he did wrong and even made a public confession at the time (he had no obligation to do so in my opinion). I sincerely hope we don’t get to a place where candidates have to expose every mistake, big or small, they’ve ever made in their lives simply to satisfy the blood lust of a few. I think it’s more instructive to observe how people handle themselves when their mistakes are uncovered. In my opinion, Daniel Stout has handled this very well. As they say, “past performance in not indicative of future results,” but I’ll be interested to see how Stout performs as a Legislator. I think he’ll do just fine.

For more about this story, read this article from the AJC earlier this week. Here’s an excerpt:

Stout said he wasn’t surprised when reports of his affair surfaced on blogs in the last few days of the campaign. Shortly after the affair, he confessed to his wife and pastor and asked forgiveness before members of the Dunwoody church he was attending.

“God took me, broke me and ground me,” he said. “The real story to me is not about judgment, but about forgiveness and change.”

In the final days of the campaign, Stout posted his cellphone number and welcomed voters to call if they wanted to discuss the affair. He also said in a Web post that the affair “stopped short of ‘sex,’” but was still adulterous, unfaithful and broke up his first marriage. He remarried in 2005 and remains close to the daughter from his first marriage.

Ron Davis, a software company administrator who lives in Paulding County and voted for Stout, said he doesn’t believe it’s fair to draw too many comparisons between Stout and Richardson.

Stout wasn’t a legislator at the time of the affair, Davis said.

“And he was forthcoming about it,” he said. “Richardson wasn’t so much.”

Davis said he also took into account Stout’s young age at the time of the affair and his support for pro-life legislation, smaller government and lower taxes.

Dannie Moore, a Paulding County resident and mother of six, said she’s known Stout for about two years through the local Right to Life chapter and supported him in the election.

“I think he’s proven himself to the people he works with and the people he’s been around,” she said.

Moore said she’s been impressed by his solid second marriage, his level of maturity and knowledge. She dismissed the affair as a mistake of youth.

“I don’t know that it was right to dig up something like that,” Moore said. “That’s not him.

Rep. Martin Scott, a longtime friend and three-term legislator from Rossville, said he was a member of the church in Dunwoody that Stout attended and was at services on the day Stout appeared before him and about 300 others to ask forgiveness.

“Every single person — men, women and children — got in line, hugged him and said they forgave him,” Scott said. “I’d never been in anything like that, and I hope I never am again. It was a powerful testimony of growth and repentance.”

1. polisavvy says:

Well, you certainly know how to make people feel terrible about things they have said about someone, don’t you? I for one, feel badly for the things I posted here last week. I am certainly not without more than my fair share of sin. I guess for a moment I forgot about the saying, “those who live in glass houses, should not cast stone.” Thanks for this post. I wish best for him and his constituents. Once again, thanks for bringing me back to what I was taught as a child. I am truly sorry and ashamed of myself for the big “rush to judgment.”

2. Mayonnaise says:

Stout’s biggest problem was that the breaking of this story straddled the election. This caused some “buyer’s remorse” and anger from the voters of Paulding. The July primary should solve this issue and if Stout is victorious then the tinge of illegitimacy will be removed.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

No Doubt. He’s a 20-dayer for sure.

Also, will someone please explain to me the whole logic behind: “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?”

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Well, here’s my problem. I’m working on a paper criticizing the policies of the Nazi party during the interwar years. But since I’m not without sin, I guess it would be inappropriate for me to point out the…well you know…the sins committed by Hitler, Adolph; Himmler, Heidrich, et al.

• polisavvy says:

I see where you’re heading. I guess we should refrain from doing it when someone was young and made a tremendous mistake. I think the difference here is that Mr. Stout sought forgiveness. I don’t recall reading anything where the likes of Hitler ever did. Just my opinion.

• ByteMe says:

For the comprehension-deprived, he’s saying:

At what point do you get to say “I may be a sinner, but what you did is still a sin and it’s terrible”? Where’s the line that you have to cross so that the “Let he who” line doesn’t inoculate you?

It’s a good philosophical question.

My philosophical question is “When is everyone’s ’15 minutes’ going to finally be up?” Looking forward to that moment.

• ByteMe,

I know people who say things like, “I don’t feel right telling my kids not to smoke pot. I did when I was their age.”

I look at it like this: If you love your kids and don’t want to see them in jail then get over yourself and tell them not to break the law. Good grief!

I agree it’s a good philosophical question. Perhaps though the actual question has to do with the severity of the punishment relative to the crime. Also remember that the woman was admonished, “Go and sin no more.”

• polisavvy says:

Perhaps you should read Loyalty’s question and then my response. None of us were comparing Stout to Hitler and resent your implication that we were.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Don’t be an idiot…I never claimed that hooking up with your Mother-in-law is the same as mass extermination or total war….gees.

• Provocateur says:

You assume the members of the Nazi party were members of the human race to start with. If you’re not human, the word “sin” does not apply.

3. IndyInjun says:

Like I said on the last thread.

He was 19!!!!

End of story.

Not many men can stand that sort of scrutiny before the age of 25.

• polisavvy says:

You are right. I really feel crappy for saying anything negative about him last week. Who in the H$ll did I think I was? Very sorry for my comments, too.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Sorry, when I was 19, I was aware that it would be wrong to sleep with my girlfriend’s mother…forget about if we were married or not.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me…but I think it’s pretty safe to say that 99% of the adult population (that’s +18yo for those of you playing from home) would agree that it’s pretty douchey to cheat on your wife with her mother.

• benevolus says:

If I had done something like that when I was 19, I wouldn’t even think about running for public office. Find some other way to serve your community.
      I’m not saying it’s a disqualification, but it’s a pretty sad state of affairs when the “best” candidate has a flaw like this on their record.

• Indy,

I agree. It’s also not just that he was 19, it was some time ago. People make mistakes and then learn from them.

The real question: Is he the best person for the job? The voters get to decide and they know him better than we do.

4. TheSituation says:

Buzz…Thank you for posting this. I know Daniel personally, and he is a good man. He made a mistake, and everyone involved has moved on. The outrage over this is rediculous…especially by the people supposedly embarrassed to be GOPers or Paulding County residents. Get a grip!

• CCollins says:

Although I cannot vote for him because of being in a different district, I’m not embarrassed at all for supporting him. This is a changed man that is getting zero credit for changing his life from 10 years ago.

• B Balz says:

@Bucky Plyer To me, your comment reads Mr. Stout will vote favorably on those issues germane to GRTL. To wit:

“…and his support for pro-life legislation…”, and,
      “… two years through the local Right to Life chapter and supported him in the election.”

From a PURELY political standpoint, this is a win for GRTL in an area where their former rep was ambivalent to GRTL issues.
      That would make this matter a hand well played.

I will be curious to see any GRTL issues pop up prior to Sine Die and if Mr. Stout shall survive a July election. While Redemption may be deserved, consequences cannot be ignored.

Best luck Mr. Stout, you certainly have earned media attention.

• Bucky Plyler says:

Hey BBalz. While I’m extrememly interested in pro-life issues, I’m also extremely interested in conservative soluntions to a number of issues.

I spent enough time with him to believe he is a Christian man of intergrity & conservative.

Earned media comes in various forms.

• B Balz says:

“…Earned media comes in various forms….” It does, Mr. Plyler, it certainly does.

I simply hate it when national press outlets make Georgia and Georgians look absurd in the National spotlight.

I observe, as many here do, that our Georgia GOP is so skewed by right-to-life issues. Though important, I don’t believe RTL issues reflect the views of the majority.

We share common ground on many conservative solutions to our fiscal issues, which to me, are far more pressing. RTL gets out the vote, though. Always admire your strength of convictions.

5. drjay says:

3 things: 1: regardless of the circumstances, certainly everyone here, even mr. stout’s friends and supporters can see a little bit of the irony of this coming out about him right before a special election to replace a man who resigned, essentially over an affair (i know it’s not an apples to apples comparison, but you get the basic point)

2: the “mrs. robinson” nature of what occurred is tantalizing, to say the least.

3: he has addressed the issue, knew it would come up and was still willing to face it and put himself forward for service–bearing that in mind you can’t then cry foul when it still comes up from time to time (rumors of jfk and marylin monroe still come up from time to time for goodness sakes)

and 4: 4 things not 3: the voters have spoken and will have a chance to speak again in july and mr. stout has half a session and a summer on the campaign trial to justify the trust that has now been placed in him…

6. TalmadgeGhost says:

Does partisanship know no bounds? Folks, come on. IT WAS HIS MOTHER IN LAW. The sickness, I mean what man do you know has the kind of relationship with his Mother in Law where he would call her up for “a lunch date” much less having something “just short of sex” with her?

Unreal – just unreal. Republican’s please, you can do better than this.

7. CCollins says:

Is there a video of the GA Gang speaking about this and that the AJC broke the story?

Because you are correct, Buzz Brockway, they didn’t as it broke on one of my news articles on Feb. 14th. I hate it when the AJC takes the credit for something they didn’t do.

8. CCollins says:

I do have to say that I am extremely curious as to who the anonymous person was that posted his past under one of my articles.

I view it as either they innocently want the voters to know or there were devious intentions. Of course, we’ll never know unless they come forward.