Ralph Reed Running For Congress?

Said to be “seriously considering” running for Linder’s old seat.

Sources close to Ralph Reed tell The Brody File that the former Executive Director of the Christian Coalition is “seriously” considering running for Congress in Georgia. According to one well-placed source, Reed has talked to key grassroots leaders and local elected officials in Gwinnett county and other parts of the district, but has not made a decision yet.

18 year veteran Congressman Rep. John Linder announced over the weekend that he’s retiring. This seat is in a big time Republican district in the Atlanta suburbs. Reed would be positioned well.

It’ll be interesting to see what Reed does. His grassroots Faith and Freedom Coalition is taking off but it’s kind of hard to pass up this opportunity considering openings like this don’t happen often.

1. Icarus says:

Reed and his antics with Abramoff were a large part of the debacle that was the 2006 election for Republicans.

Now that the Dems are falling out of favor, whether or not Reed decides to run, and whether or not the good “conservatives” of the 7th elect him, should be a good indicator of whether the party faithful have learned their lesson or not.

2. IndyInjun says:

Like I said elsewhere, if this happens we “Accountability Freaks” are going to have to ratchet things up over 2006, because we will have not one, but THREE, cretinous candidates to keep out of office.

Ox.
    Deal.
    Reed.

• drjay says:

he did not–lost gwinnett by about 3ooo votes, lost all the other counties in the 7th except walton, in which he sqeaked out a couple hundred vote advantage over cagle…

3. Romegaguy says:

I’m going to go do a little gaming this weekend at the Cherokee Indians “Take money from the white man” gaming facility and will let you know if I see any Reed campaign signs

• You might see Ox there as well, since the Lumbee don’t have their own casino. He might be spending some time with other American Indian brethren…

• IndyInjun says:

Maybe we can find that Choctaw chief who testified about the pimping out of the Baptists.

4. Progressive Dem says:

I’ve always considerd the 7th to be a safe GOP seat until Ralph Reed’s name was mentioned.

• benevolus says:

The bad news is that 12 Dems would run and all the money would be too diluted to be effective and all the candidates would then be too shell shocked to run for anything else for a few years.

5. Gary Cooper says:

I don’t see Reed running in this one. He is better off running in rural Georgia. I believe he did well in those areas against Cagle back in 2006. However, for me personally I would love to see him disappear from GA politics. He has the same negative name recognition as Cynthia McKinney.

Also, has anyone checked out the Boortz site? He has a online poll up on whether Herman Cain should run. I would love to see this happen. He did very well in the 2004 Senate primary and talked extensively about the issues.

• Herman lives in McDonough, which is Westmoreland’s district. He would definitely be the favored if he is able to meet the requirements.

I honestly don’t think Ralph would be a bad candidate. He’ll work as hard as anyone and is able to tap votes. Whatever happenened in 2006 is history. As much as myself and others worked against his campaign, it is thoroughly apparent that he is quite capable.

He has strong leadership abilities, which is woefully needed, and he definitely knows the process. If that is something he would like to do, I certainly hope he goes for it.

6. Captain Phatbeard says:

I will say this for Ralph Reed. He certainly has me praying real hard right now.

7. Southern Politico says:

I don’t know if he’ll run or not. And I know a lot of folks don’t like him. But I do know this…never underestimate Ralph Reed. 06 result or not…

8. ByteMe says:

It’s still better than him writing another trite novel to sell to his fawning mailing list.

9. Chris says:

Melvin Everson. There are very few in this party that can withstand the corrupting influence on DC. Tom Graves is one. Martin Scott is another, and Melvin Everson is the third.

10. c_murrayiii says:

Melvin would be a great choice too, outstanding man. +1 to Chris for that suggestion. And I would like to see Reed remain firmly in the private sector.

11. Romegaguy says:

When the casino operators found out I was from Georgia they asked if I could take a bag of casino chips by Ralph’s office in case he runs. I said no