No Deal

March 1, 2010 15:37 pm

by Tyler · 41 comments

Deal’s resignation brings up the concern over the fight against Obamacare. Erick talked about the importance of Deal’s vote:

Given the implications of the Democrats’ push for nationalized health care, the Deal resignation is serious. In a situation when every vote counts, it means the Democrats have to count one less vote.

If health care passes by one vote in the House, Nathan Deal owns the vote.

Those pushing hard against nationalized health care are angry, upset, and a bit confused, to say the least, that we will have one less Republican vote against this measure. But it is confusing, isn’t it? To think that a Republican Congressman would leave the battlefield at the war’s height? Why leave at such a crucial time?

Jim Galloway sheds some light.

But a conversation with one Georgia Republican insider turned up this: Deal resigned from Congress despite the blowback on health care and ethics – not because of it.

The Republican race for governor has been in a state of stasis for months, and with each passing day state Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine’s position solidifies. To Republicans who see Roy Barnes in their rear-view mirror, the prospect isn’t a good one.

GOP behind-the-sceners know that their support, now scattered among several candidates, will have to be consolidated if Oxendine is to be stopped.

Deal was simply reacting to pressure from prominent Republican leaders to, as one contact put it, “drastically re-commit” himself.

It seems that some insiders were scared of the Big Bad Ox and were pushing for someone to stir up the mix. Ok, I’ll bite. But where is the proof that Deal would care and focus more on the Georgia governor race? Well, Galloway’s AJC colleague, Bob Keefe has some interesting info…

Bob Keefe says Deal was already spending more and more time in Georgia. Deal by far has the worse voting record of any member of the Georgia congressional delegation. He’s missed more than half of all votes in 2010. (emphasis added)

Here are the stats that Keefe sends us:

– 2009-Q1: Deal missed 9.2% of votes, 16 of 174

– 2009-Q2: Deal missed 24.1% of votes, 73 of 303;

– 2009-Q3: Deal missed 5.2% of votes, 14 of 268;

– 2009-Q4: Deal missed 32.1% of votes, 79 of 246;

– 2010-Q1: Deal missed 50.8% of votes, 33 of 65;

Well, being from the GA-9 I can tell you that it is quite refreshing to have a congressman who has been ignoring his job for over a year. We the people elect individuals to represent us in D.C. but sometimes we get robbed. So much for paying a guy’s paycheck when he ignores the job to go look for greener pastures because there might be a rogue ox in the meadow.

Sorry folks, NO Deal.

Buzzfan March 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I know Deal had a GOP audience down in Statesboro a couple of weeks ago, but only because I regularly peruse the Herald online.

About that same time I happened to be swapping some emails with Tom Crawford (name many will recognize) and I mentioned that it was MY perception that….if not for the occasional comical blurb on the ‘birther’ issue….that Deal had been somewhat invisible for someone allegedly vying for the big house on West Paces. He pretty much agreed…even using the word, “floundering”.

Has that been others’ impression, as well?

Icarus March 1, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Deal was my “leaning to” choice until the foolishness started in October (Ghetto Grandmothers, CREW ethics issues, and then the Birther nonsense).

But as I also got out of the basement and starting hitting events the Gov candidates were attending, the differences between him and the other candidates (save Ox) were striking.

Handel, Johnson, and Scott eagerly work crowds, mostly solo. Each engaged in real conversations. Keep in mind this was early (it still is, I guess) and isn’t the “retail” part of the campaign. It’s the part of the campaign where the insiders – both the money folk and the party activist/grassroots – place their bets. Each of these people who believe they are an important insider wants personal face time with each candidate, and wants an extensive Q&A on their issues.

Deal, by contrast, spent a lot of this time in D.C. When he did make it to an event, he was often escorted by anywhere from 2-4 handlers, and seemed to move through the crowds with an escort party.

The insiders didn’t take to this very well. And I can’t say it won him many votes he didn’t already have before he attended the event.

I think when this bizarre campaign cycle concludes, this will be one of the major turning points. But I don’t think it will be a positive turning point for Deal.

Lawton Sack March 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Buzz — I will have to keep you better informed about the happenings in Statesboro and Bulloch. :)

Deal did raise $38,000 here through his fundraiser and meet and greet a couple of weeks ago.

The Statesboro Herald, through its radio program (Mornings unPhiltered), has done a great job in interviewing candidates from both parties. They are archived for listening at: http://borolive.com/unphiltered-archive.html

Gary Cooper March 1, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I agree Buzz. Deal, being my Rep. , I was solidly behind him for Governor in the early going. Then came the gaffs, the investigation, and now this. I have no doubt he is the favorite of the GA GOP congressional delegation, but I doubt he is being persuaded by the local power brokers giving that they want him to better Ox and he having no better a record on ethics. I have now opened my vote up to Handel, Johnson, and Scott. Deal is no better than Ox in my opinion.

benevolus March 1, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I just want to make sure I understand this: So a majority vote is calculated from the total number of sitting Representatives, not the total number of seats?

GOPGeorgia March 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm

It takes a majority of those present and voting to pass a bill. Bills have been passed with 417 votes or less in the past.

Republican Lady March 1, 2010 at 8:43 pm

GOP, does the week-end events trump your news or do you have something else to post Tuesday?

polisavvy March 2, 2010 at 10:48 am

I know. I’m waiting on the post myself. It’s Tuesday, GOP — what’s the news?

GOPGeorgia March 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm

My news doesn’t compare with this. Let’s try a little later and let this get out of the way a bit.

polisavvy March 2, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Okay, but I am very curious. Don’t short sell yourself. Your news could be very big. This with Deal is not so big to me anymore. Same ‘ole, same ‘ole.

old political pro March 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm

rehashing old posts just to keep bashing they guy? Yawn. this is getting old.

IndyInjun March 1, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Heck, I wish he had missed MORE votes including:

Medicare D
NCLB
Increase of Debt limits
Iraq war resolution

Goldwater Conservative March 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm

You forgot all the votes he and every member of the GOP had to increase deficit spending. Remember, the War only increased the deficit $1trillion so far.

The Bush tax cuts that Deal wants permanent have cost the US nearly $3trillion in deficit spending (and it has only been 9 years). I couldn’t imagine what the US would look like if we had to incur $3trillion in debt every decade so that the richest 5% of Americans could have taxes that are too low.

Looking at those numbers, I can not see why the price tag of the healthcare overhaul means anything to “conservatives.” Less than $1trillion over 10 years to reform insurance…something every American will benefit from (except those that received a disproportionate share of tax “relief” under the Bush cuts).

ByteMe March 1, 2010 at 4:58 pm

BECAUSE IT’S OUR MONEY the fools will yell.

Better to borrow it to give it to us than to borrow it to give to poor people who get sick and drive up our health care costs. ;)

John Konop March 1, 2010 at 7:42 pm

It was our money, it was just the fine print on the debt! :)

BillinSuwanee March 2, 2010 at 6:48 am

Don’t forget;

Patriot Act

Homeland Security Act

polisavvy March 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm

There is all this talk about “prominent” Republicans leaders. Does anyone know who these “prominent” leaders are? Likewise, does anyone know why they really are pushing him this hard? I would greatly appreciate any insight you may have. Thanks in advance.

Silent Outrage March 2, 2010 at 3:09 am

Prominent Republican Leaders is essentially the status quo gang of Westmoreland (God bless him) and Gingery with a couple of State House folks like Jerry Keen to boot…

Seriously though, Deal is worse than Oxendine. Oxendine shook people down for his campaign. Deal had an “inside deal” with the State of Georgia that made him a millionare.

Either of those people become the nominee and Roy Barnes has a really easy path to becoming Governor.

BillinSuwanee March 2, 2010 at 6:51 am

None of the machine Republicans (Repubics) can beat any of the Democrats this year; especially the “Raw” Deal. btw … I also mean I-SUCK-son.

We need a candidate that will get Conservative votes, Independent votes and Moderate Democrats. Any Republican perceived as an incumbent will not win.

Pine Knot March 2, 2010 at 7:31 am

That explains the recent poll out that shows that Nathan, Karen. and Ox would beat Barnes. Also, I believe Isakson is fairly safe.

PaulRevere March 2, 2010 at 9:32 am

As a general rule, anyone supporting your candidacy is a “prominent leader.” Anyone supporting your opponent can be anything from a “loon” to a “hack” or a “paid shill”

jackson March 1, 2010 at 4:18 pm

What are the votes he missed? Was it really that important for all you folks that bash him that he was there for the superfluous resolutions and such (which I guarantee are part of your skewed counts)?

Icarus has been bashing Deal months. Attacking him for being a corrupt Congressman even. Now he saying he WANTS him in Congress?

Ridiculous.

IndyInjun March 1, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Read what I wrote.

The man put us $trillions in debt to the Chinese with the votes he made.

I wish he had gone totally AWOL.

He makes Ron Paul look like the only sane congressman.

macho March 1, 2010 at 5:13 pm

To those who say, “the Obamacare votes are in the House regardless of Deal,” you’re missing the point. Obamacare isn’t a black and white issue. It has tentacles that reach out into areas where even Democrats have reservations. It’s an amorphous bill. There are plenty of issues that could easily come down to one vote. Deal’s resignation, because he was afraid of the ethics report due in a few days, was an extreme act of selfishness.

These GOP Washington insiders, aka Deal supporters, have got to be kidding when they state that Deal is the only one who can save us from Oxendine. Trust me, Johnson and Handel can more easily defeat Ox than Deal. A Deal / Oxendine runoff, in a sort of US vs. Soviet MAD equilibrium, means nobody talks about ethics until the General election with Barnes.

chefdavid March 1, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Eye have been contemplatin’ this decision for some time up hear.(that’s for my new buddy). We have heard a lot about the Obama administration using Chicago style politics in Washington. Would it be plausible that this could of happened? With the dems needing every vote and the investigation being the leverage they needed for someone to give him the old you play ball with us or…. Even more so wouldn’t the administration be more motivated to use it’s influence after the birther letter. I am sure part of the deal could have been that the investigation comes out next week with a no conclusion or a sweetener would have been an unanimous vote by the investigation committee that there was no wrong doing. Just a theory.

AlanR March 1, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Its certainly going to be a gamble. If the health care vote does come down to one vote and passes, Deal is done. What can he say to any republican primary voter — this is the most important issue of the last 50 years, and for the next 50 years.

Couldn’t he have waited a day or two to see when the vote was scheduled?

macho March 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm

He couldn’t have waited a day or two, because the ethics report was due out in a day or two. But we are supposed to believe this is a mere coincidence.

Ken in Eastman March 1, 2010 at 10:12 pm

AlanR,

If it passes it will be by a very close vote. There are Dem Congressmen who will not be re-elected simply because they voted for that bill – and that means a razor-thin margin IF it passes. Deal’s non-vote means that the Dems may keep one additional seat this Fall just because some Dem somewhere wasn’t forced to vote for this atrocious bill.

Either way, Deal has hurt the GOP. I won’t speculate on his reason for resigning because I don’t know what’s in the man’s heart. I do reserve the right to be very angry if that bill passes.

newby March 1, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I am new at this but isn’t it the “I” votes that count? How could Deal’s “nay” vote change the outcome of the vote on Health care?

Republican Lady March 1, 2010 at 9:53 pm

It is beginning to appear that Deal and Ox may be cut from the same cloth. Just more votes for Karen as those two spiral downward.

Silent Outrage March 2, 2010 at 3:11 am

Deal and Ox used to be Democrats. They both were rooting for Carter, Mondale, Dukakis, and Bill Clinton back when most of us were smart enough to support Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

Both have significant ethical issues that make them completely unelectable in the general election.

BillinSuwanee March 2, 2010 at 6:55 am

@Silent. Bingo! The “Raw” Deal and Bot”OX” are Liberals in Conservative silk. Liberalism courses through their veins from birth. All of our problems are a result of Liberalism.

Why would anyone want to bring this home to Georgia?

PaulRevere March 2, 2010 at 9:38 am

Personally, I never could get my head around what Deal’s “story” was. Never could get a solid answer to “why him?” Just seemed like an aging Congressman who was going to retire anyway and thought he’d go out with a bang.

I suppose now he has more time to make his case. He’s popular in his district. It’ll be interesting to watch the shake out from his resignation.

BillinSuwanee March 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm

He is only popular with the Repubic (Liberal Republicans) machine in the 9th District. The rank and file I talk to in both Hall and Forsyth find him repulsive.

A positively repulsive “Raw” Deal.

BillinSuwanee March 2, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I finally had the chance to read the “Raw” Deal’s resignation speech. During the speech he said;

“I’m leaving Congress because I’ve had a front row seat to the damage that inexperience in the executive branch of the federal government has done to our nation…a growing debt that will bankrupt our children’s future, an ever increasing grasp by government that snatches away our freedom, and an effort to bargain away the rights of our state for a few crumbs of federal tax dollars that are packaged as stimulus. “

This is crap … pure and simple. The “Raw” Deal voted YEA for;

Patriot Act snatching away our freedom.

No Child Left Behind ruining our children’s education.

Medicare Prescription Drug Act bankrupting our future.

Homeland Security Act expanding Federal bureaucracy.

Water rights deals bargaining away our states sovereignty.

Does this man have no shame?

Republican Lady March 2, 2010 at 1:36 pm

You made several good points but one that I am interested in is the Medicare Prescription Drug Act. My mom pays $200 a month for supplemental insurance (Part D) and still pays an additional $150-$300 PER MONTH for medications. Why aren’t pharmacutical companies tightening their belts instead of maintaining or raising prices on critical drugs for heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholestrol, etc?

Oil companies have their profit margins at a point to satisfy investors, and utility companies haven’t lowered fees. If one cannot pay electric, gas, and phone bills, those services are cut off, which can be dangerous for those needing oxygen tanks to breathe and live.

It appears that the taxpayer is making the sacrifices and others are doing business as usual to keep their profit margins. Just a thought.

IndyInjun March 2, 2010 at 1:48 pm

A common factor in Obama’s health plan and the GOP Medicare D is that Big Pharma fought off competitive bidding for medications and reimportation of drugs in both instances.

Medicare D provided corporations with $billions in cost reductions as their obligations were offloaded on US.

$200 a month is a very, very high premium. My mother has hers through Cigna and the premiums are less than $40 a month. The “donut hole” is painful, though.

Medicare D was an unpaid for entitlement that went against GOP principles. It allowed Big Pharma to raise prices drastically for beneficiaries and its presence allowed price increases for the privately insured.

Seniors love it, just like any other entitlement.

Love for unfunded entitlements is destroying this country.

Henry Waxman March 9, 2010 at 9:13 am

Tyler, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and just assume you were too busy with your coursework to do any background research for this post. However, it is important to note that Rep. Deal’s missed votes almost exclusively happen on the first day of a legislative week, which is the day the U.S. House of Representatives votes on numerous bills of very minor consequence under a Suspension of the Rules. Here is a sample of some of the bills that Rep. Deal missed on Monday, February 22, and I’ll let you comment on their importance:

H.R. 4425 – To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2-116th Street in North Troy, New York, as the “Martin G. ‘Marty’ Mahar Post Office” (Rep. Tonko – Oversight and Government Reform)

H.R. 4238 – To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 930 39th Avenue in Greeley, Colorado, as the “W.D. Farr Post Office Building” (Rep. Markey (CO) – Oversight and Government Reform)

H.Res. 1039 – Supporting the goals and ideals of American Heart Month and National Wear Red Day (Rep. Lee (NY) – Oversight and Government Reform)

H.Res. 526 – Recognizing the historical and cultural significance of the John Mercer Langston Golf Course and its contributions to achieving racial equality (Del. Norton – Oversight and Government Reform)

Icarus March 9, 2010 at 9:17 am

Oh wow, the same comment twice. It’s what we generally call spam around here.

Voters don’t usually like to hear that people they hire to do a job only go in on days they think are important.

Tyler March 9, 2010 at 9:23 am

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }