For Your Consideration For Quote Of The Year.

In the Punch Him In The Political Nose category, I submit to you the following quote made by Chip Lake:

“Nathan simply acted on pressure by prominent Republican leaders to ‘drastically re-commit’ himself to winning, out of growing concern that the insurance commissioner could win the Republican primary on name ID alone and Roy Barnes beats the shakedown artist Oxendine like a drum in November,” said Chip Lake, chief of staff to U.S. Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.), a Deal supporter who has been in a very public spat with Oxendine over the past few weeks.

• Silent Outrage says:

Dear Lord I never thought the day would come where I honestly say this but ladies and gentlemen, Deal is worse than Ox.

Ox did a lot of things unethical, don’t get me wrong. But if we are weighing the two on a scale, hands down Deal is the worse choice.

The man personally became wealthy off of a secret deal with the State of Georgia for, what, well over 18 years. Seriously. Then, he has the nerve to use the racially insensitive remark, ghetto grandmother, and thinks nothing of it. Then, he has the audacity to be the FIRST SITTING US CONGRESSMAN ever to question the Constitutionality of the sitting US President.

Seriously, Ox has done a lot, but he hasn’t done any of those things. He just shook down some insurance executives for campaign money and accepted illegal contributions.

Compared to Deal, those really don’t look that bad.

• polisavvy says:

I’m still waiting on the names of the “prominent” Republican leaders who supposedly talked Deal into resigning to focus on his run for Governor. So far, no one has been able to provide us with the names.

1. NorthGAGOP says:

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that an Ox supporter would be calling Deal out on ethics?

2. ChiefofStaff65 says:

I also have the thought that Chip’s comment could also be a nice cover for Deal. Now he can say, “Look the G-7 asked me to resign for the betterment of the state, not at all because of the ethics probe.”

Just my 3 cents worth.

• polisavvy says:

Will people really believe it and take him at his word? Something tells me probably not. This whole ethics mess is going to follow him wherever he goes, in my opinion.

• Icarus says:

I’ve known Chip a long time.

I can’t support his choice for Governor, but that doesn’t make him an ally of Jack Abramoff, nor anything like it.

• IndyInjun says:

Where did I post that he was an Abramoff ally?

What I WAS suggesting was that anyone standing with a demonstrably bad, charge ably corrupt man and disparaging another for similar lack of integrity, was and is capable of twisting the truth like a pretzel, which was a prize competency with Abramoff, Reed, and Scully.

• Silent Outrage says:

I think someone spiked Chip’s water today. This comment is really out of character for him. I think Westmoreland forced him to make the remark.

3. Buzzfan says:

From a strictly aesthetic perspective, it’s a bit lengthy for legitimate QOTY™ consideration (where less is more).

Solid contender, content-wise.

• Agreed. We also have 10 full months left in the year… give Ox and Deal and the others a little time… I’m sure they’ll have plenty to contribute…

4. Technocrat says:

I can’t wait until Melanie goes after Chip’s boss now that DEAL is out of the way. The squeeky wheel gets more than grease in DC.

5. True Grit says:

AJC is now reporting that the National Review has written:

“Apparently Rep. Nathan Deal, Republican of Georgia, thinks he can help his gubernatorial campaign by being known as, “The House Republican who helped pass Obamacare.” If he resigns, as rumored, the Democrats will only need 216* for a majority.”

For the full story by Galloway:

• polisavvy says:

I don’t see how Mr. Galloway’s piece is going to help Deal a whole lot. His resignation did lower the numbers needed for this health care debacle. Seems that since it is not a very popular issue with the majority of Americans, let alone Georgians, I don’t see it as a big plus for his gubernatorial campaign.

• Silent Outrage says:

I think they do read the AJC, MSNBC, National Review, The Weekly Standard, etc… and just about every other newspaper, magazine, and political commentator that is going to be noting that Nathan Deal, by resigning, will help Nancy Pelosi pass Obamacare in the US House.

She now has the 216 votes to pass the bill.

Way to go Deal.

• GOPGeorgia says:

If (when) Obomacare doesn’t pass, how will you eat your words? Will you print them out and eat the paper? Break the monitor up into shards and fit them into two pieces of bread? Do the same with your hard drive? With the words being posted online, I’m just not sure how you could do that.

Please explain and bon appetite! I think others will join you!

• Doug,

We both know that IF this bill passes it will be by a razor thin margin. We also know that Pelosi will allow as many Dems as possible to avoid taking the hit. One fewer GOP vote equals one fewer Dem risking his or her seat because of an indefensible vote.

Finally, the fact that this bill might pass and Congressman Deal will not be there to help fight it is a negative. In addition, that slim margin would make Congressman Deal’s absence appear even worse. I understand your position but this may be a case of defending the indefensible.

There is too much at stake here to walk away from the vote on health care reform without a compelling reason. Congressman Deal should share that compelling reason with voters if he wants to be Georgia’s next governor.

• GOPGeorgia says:

I agree it’s a serious issue. I was obviously playing a bit. I just don’t see this bill passing. The American people don’t want it and it’s very obvious that is the case. I don’t see every Dem Congressman running off an electoral cliff just because the Speaker asks them to. Taking the GOP congressmen out of the picture, the Dems are not united on what they want to accomplish. Single payer, funding for abortions or not, the house agreeing with the special deals made in the senate, there are just too many questions without a consensus answer.

• polisavvy says:

GOPGeorgia, after all that was said by President Obama, what is your feeling on the passage of health care now? I am becoming concerned. Thanks for your insight.

• ByteMe says:

Too many folks here live in a vacuum and don’t want to pay attention to the poll that shows that the package is mildly unpopular until it gets explained and then its popularity rises significantly.

It’ll happen. Democrats have already figured out that they’re stuck with it either way, so they’ll vote for it and then make Republicans deal with explaining why they were against helping the average person. The politics favor the (D)’s on this, same as it did in the 30’s and 60’s when they created the other institutions we now take for granted.

• GOPGeorgia says:

See my comments above. If they had 216 votes, they would vote NOW. If you arking me what I think they should pass that’s a much more detailed issue.

Byte, you don’t think it’s been explained by now? Wow. The American people don’t want this. One one hand, I am fine with an up or down vote because I don’t see it passing. On the other, I don’t to let them move the football (this bill) an inch.

• polisavvy says:

I’m worried about its potential passage. I see the pros to it; however, in my opinion, the cons still outweigh it. I don’t see how we can afford it, as a country, and us personally. The thought of our health insurance going up significantly scares me to death. We already pay $1500 a month and some months that’s tough to do.

• ByteMe says:

The reason we can afford it is that we’re already spending the money on the same level of healthcare, except that the amount is being paid only by 85% of the people instead of 100%.

• Kellie says:

100% still won’t pay. The marority of the cost will continue to be put on the so-called “rich” and small businesses.

• polisavvy says:

Kellie, I am beginning to think you are correct. It scares me to death since my husband owns his small business.

• Kellie says:

We own several and it is tough already. Everyone is cutting back, trying to get through this recession yet the Federal gubeeerrment wants to do the largest takeover/mandate/entitlement program ever?! WTH?
                      I have had it and the American people have said they don’t want this but Obama and the dems are going to shove it down our throats or up our ____ (which ever way is easiest) anyhow.

• polisavvy says:

I agree with you Kellie and feel your pain. I don’t know how much clearer the American public needs to be. Apparently, those in D.C. are adamant that they know more about what is better for us than we do. I totally disagree. I know what will and will not be beneficial to my household. This isn’t going to help.

• ByteMe says:

The 15% are the ones who cannot afford it (and they will get subsidies to purchase), cannot get it because the insurance company won’t write it (and that will no longer be allowed to happen), or think they don’t need because they’re healthy today (and they will get it or pay a tax for not getting it).

• ByteMe says:

Yes, I think that those of us not in the tank for a single political party have heard, understood, and appreciate where this bill “moves the ball”. You? You can thank the rest of us later.

6. NorthGAGOP says:

I thought Ox said he wasn’t going to attack other candidates? Check out his statement about Deal resigning – classy. Ironic that Echols is talking about ethics.

“It is regrettable that Nathan Deal has left Georgia without a voice in Washington during the vital healthcare debate,” said Tim Echols, spokesman for John Oxendine. “We are hopeful that this isn’t an attempt to circumvent an investigation into the state-funded program that benefited his auto salvage business.”

• Personally, I’d like to see an investigation into whose directive it was to make sure the Insurance Commissioner’s website looks so similar to a campaign website – with the rotating pictures of the Ox at the top and all.

• That’s not true, grit. At first glance, one would wonder whether they’ve reached the Insurance Commissioner’s website or the John Oxendine campaign… after all, there are 3 pictures of him on the front page of the website. Have you seen it lately?

• Icarus says:

I think he means you’re reaching when you could just point out that he took $120K in illegally laundered campaign funds, has a track record of shaking down folks for support, bragging that insurance industry folks will give him money because they are afraid of him, and has the Georgia Board Of Audits showing he can’t manage an agency to any metric of performance standards. No need to get trivial with websites when you have so much obvious stuff already out there.

That’s what you mean, right Grit?

• Icarus says:

I have three. I’d consider a 4th if Jeff Chapman would demonstrate somehow that he could be a viable candidate. But I’m guessing there will remain three.

• True Grit says:

Well, I give you credit for not sticking one in the back in favor of another. At least you’re open to a few candidates, unlike some other posters we know.

• True Grit says:

Good point Kellie. My point was that everyone knows that I’m an Oxendine supporter. Other posters on here claim to be unbiased yet are most certainly in favor of one specific candidate.

• Doug Deal says:

You can still favor someone and be basically unbiased. Even people I support I will call out if they do something stupid. Generally, though, I like those that don’t generally do such things.

Some, however, have to buy into everything 100%.

• True Grit says:

Yes David I saw it today. And a quick scan of a couple other Commissioners’ websites show similar layouts. Check out North Carolina’s for one.

• IndyInjun says:

You just sent those poor people in Ox’s campaign AND in the Inurance Commission scrambling to make sure there are seperate invoices and an audit trail to prove that the Insurance department didn’t pay for that website.

You are just a terrible man……