Deal’s Resignation

It’s official:

One of the highest honors of my life has been the privilege to serve the great people of North Georgia in the Congress of the United States.
My wife and my family join me in thanking you for your support and confidence which have allowed me to lead the fight to preserve the values that have made our nation great.
Having entered the campaign to become the next Governor of Georgia, I have worked very hard to balance the responsibilities of my current office with the demands of sharing my vision for our state.
The Bible teaches us that “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.”
I firmly believe that now is the season for me to devote my full energies to the campaign for governor.
I believe the people of my district, like all Georgians, know that this is a time that demands leadership.  These are critical days for Georgia and my experience at the local, state and national level have uniquely prepared me to lead Georgia as we lead the nation out of the recession.
As governor, my first priority will be getting Georgians back to work while making sure that essential state services are maintained.  Our state needs leadership on education, water, transportation, health care and public safety, which must be balanced against the financial crisis facing our state government.
Make no mistake, our Georgia values are at risk.  I have stood up against those who do not share our conservative values and, I assure you, they have the governorship of the state of Georgia squarely in their sights.
I’m leaving Congress because I’ve had a front row seat to the damage that inexperience in the executive branch of the federal government has done to our nation…a growing debt that will bankrupt our children’s future, an ever increasing grasp by government that snatches away our freedom, and an effort to bargain away the rights of our state for a few crumbs of federal tax dollars that are packaged as stimulus.
My experience has prepared me to be a governor who understands these dangers. This is not a time for untested leadership in the governor’s office. The economic future of our state is in peril. I am committed and ready to serve this great state.
I love this state and I love its people.  My Georgia roots are deep.  As I have traveled from the mountains, where I live, to the piedmont, where I grew up and went to school, to the coastal plain, where I was born, my resolve to be governor has grown even stronger.
I will be a governor who will listen to you and consider your needs.  Like the deep veins of granite and marble that undergird our state, I am rock solid in my dedication to the task at hand.  I will lead with strength, tempered by a servant’s heart.
I invite you to join me, my family and an ever-expanding circle of friends on this quest to be the next Governor of Georgia. Together, we can reaffirm the values that have made us great, enrich the lives of our families and leave our children a state that is a prosperous beacon of hope for the future.
I ask for your vote. I invite you to share my vision and encourage you to join my campaign for governor.
***

Deal’s resignation becomes effective at the close of business on March 8, 2010

• polisavvy says:

If you don’t mind, would you please update us as you learn details? Thanks in advance.

• Buzzfan says:

Nothing earth-shattering. Felt the time was right. Sees the GOP taking the majority back soon and him chairing a sub-committee…..guess he didn’t want those headaches again. :>)

• polisavvy says:

I don’t think all his headaches are going to go away just because he resigned his Congressional seat. Answer me this, if you know, can the report still be released before the close of business on March 8th, or does everything stop now with no chance of people ever knowing what’s in the report. In my opinion, if the report is ready and the Democrats decide not to release it, it seems to me that it would be detrimental, in the long run, to whoever becomes the Democratic nominee in the event Deal were to secure the Republican nominee. Just my thoughts on this.

1. polisavvy says:

Interesting that, according to the AJC through the AP, if the report is not released by the 8th, it will not be released ever. I certainly would like to know what’s in it, if anything, and think we all deserve to know what, if anything, untoward may or may not have been found. If there is something there and his man keeps running for Governor, it would be nice to know what we’re getting in the end should he be elected. JMMHO.

• Silent Outrage says:

He can request that it be released if he is serious about his being cleared. But he won’t, because he wasn’t going to be cleared. He was going to be found guilty or else he wouldn’t be resigning so suddenly and helping Pelosi pass Obamacare.

• polisavvy says:

I agree with you Silent. You know how things can “leak” out. Let’s sit back and see if anything surfaces between now and July. Could be interesting, couldn’t it?

2. macho says:

Here is what Deal’s campaign had to say about Handel’s resignation, “has taken an oath to serve the people of Georgia and has a clear record of completing his terms.” I guess it never really was about the “oath.” More like being a member of Congress was supposed to give Deal a bully pulpit advantage, but that strategy goes out the window when your colleagues are about ready to slam you on your ethics.

This guy is supposed to be the “Real Deal?”

3. Kellie says:

Just came from the announcement. There were about 75 people there. He read his speech then answered a couple of questions. The whole thing lasted 5 mins.
    I thought it was good.

• Kellie says:

I think it was a smart move. Deal was going to have a lot of votes to answer for in the next few months and no matter how he voted it would make someone mad.
        He would end up being beat up for doing his job while the rest of the candidates got a pass.

• polisavvy says:

Couldn’t they still release the report, if it’s ready, before next Monday? If so, then he’ll really have a lot of questions to answer. Thanks for your candid response to my question.

• Doug Deal says:

The vote he’ll have to answer for the most is the one he will never cast, his vote gainst Obamacare.

Who wants someone who flees the field of battle when he is needed the most? What else has he done up there that even is a shadow of the importance as fighting this monster?

What kind of man are you Nathan?

• Doug Deal says:

Thanks Poli 😉 I try.

But seriously, why in the heck was he in Congress to begin with, if not to stand the ground against this nonsense.

BAD.
              DEAL.

• polisavvy says:

Makes one wonder what he’s been doing alright. I think he bailed because he knew that something was coming. In my opinion, if there is any validity that he did anything wrong, then why in the heck would we want him as Governor? Crazy days. 🙂

• Kellie says:

His answer to that was they “don’t count NO votes, only the YES votes and I would have voted NO”.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Technically, he’s correct. It takes a yes vote to pass something. Voting “Present” has the same effect as voting “No” on the passage of a bill. They only count the “yes votes.”

• DMZDave says:

Nancy Pelosi is out there twisting every arm, promising every deal, making every threat possible to round up the votes for a simple majority. With Murtha’s death, she needed to get one more vote and Deal just made it easier to get that simple majority. If in order to get the Dems to vote for the Rangel censure, they had to cut a deal to get R votes to sanction Deal and if, as a result, he resigned rather than stick around and fight Obama care, Pelosi played this hand very well indeed.

4. macho says:

There is something Nixonian about all this. My guess is some of Deal’s fellow Congressmen came to him, out of loyalty, and basically said, “Nathan, the ethics report is ready and it’s really bad. You’re in some deep doo-doo. We love you buddy, so you’ve got two choices: resign and we’ll deep-six the report or stick around and the people of Georgia will tar and feather you.”

5. IndyInjun says:

It would be a perfect day if Kingston and Gingrey quit too.

They don’t have outright sleazy dealings, but they do have a solid trail of votes against GOP principles.

They are hoping the disaster that is Obama continues to give them cover.

• Pine Knot says:

If I remember correctly, Gingrey and Kingston have consistantly earned very high, if not 100% ACU ratings through the years.

• IndyInjun says:

Those are BS. Ratings by Washington think tanks are worthless, because their benchmarks are PARTISAN (the selected position of party leadership) rather than CONSERVATIVE.

The entire GA GOP delegation, save Charlie Norwood, voted for Medicare D, an unfunded entitlement and the biggest social program in 40 years. This vote, in terms of spending magnitude and departure from fiscal conservatives, isn’t just off the charts, it smashes the charts.

Then there was NCLB, highway bill, farm bill, raised debt limits, and doubling of the national debt between 1/1/2001 and 12/31/2008.

Next.

• IndyInjun says:

That being the reason that I am the only REPUBLICAN left in Georgia.

Everybody else needs to find new candidates who can live up to REPUBLICAN standards or get the hell out of MY party.

OR

GOPers can CHANGE their platform to one line that says “Whatever party leadership decides in the next 10 minutes.” Of course we already have that – Obama and the Democrats.

There isn’t any difference in the two parties.

They feign differences to divide the people.

• Rick Day says:

well..yeah, of course they do. But the system is what it is.

I learned from Republicans in the 1980’s that success is all about who can out-negative the other side better….

• Silent Outrage says:

Will someone please educate the Republicans of what it means to be a Conservative.

You can’t run up the deficit through the roof, sponsor and vote for every earmark known to God, and still call yourself a conservative.

You deserve the second rate government you get for your ignorance on the issues.

• IndyInjun says:

Obama is firmly and completely in the grasp of Wall Street fraudsters and globalists, just like Bush and Isakson.

He does have the guts to put ‘most’ of his insane spending on the books. (I keep getting emails from the GOP brain-washed comparing Bush BUDGETS to Obama’s, conveniently leaving out the actual spending as indicated by how the national debt exploded.)

Sum total – Obama is the worst of Bush on steroids.

• Joshua Morris says:

More like a breath of fresh cow manure. Why put down your bong long enough to post nonsense like this, Rick? Just keep hittin it, man.

6. DMZDave says:

With Obama Health Care about to be crammed down our throats by Nancy Pelosi, now is not exactly the best time to cut and run. The Dems just smacked one of their own with the censure of Charlie Rangel. Normally in order to get the votes in the Ethics Committee to censure a guilty Dem, the R’s on the Committee have to agree to sanction one of their own guilty members as well. With one of the most important battles ever about to commence in the House, losing a Republican vote at this time is just one bad Deal for Georgia.

• polisavvy says:

Yup, it’s bad timing. Now he won’t be able to slam the others who have quit their elected positions to run for Governor, can he?

7. I’m sure some of you have seen this before, but I felt it applied rather well here… It was supposedly written and published in the Orlando Sentinel some time ago…

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them..

Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason.. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don’t care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator’s responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits.. The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

If the tax code is unfair, it’s because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it’s because they want it in the red ..

Do not let these 535 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like “the economy,” “inflation,” or “politics” that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 535 people, and they alone, are responsible.

They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses.

Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees…

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess…

(And I’ll add to this that the rest of them could just as easily abandon their offices as Deal has done. 🙂 )

• GOPGeorgia says:

Government causes every problem in peoples lives? Really? I guess George W. Bush really did create Katrina.

• IndyInjun says:

Living in a city far below sea level did.

It was known for years that NO would flood during a direct hit by a hurricane.

Those who lived there took their chances.

• polisavvy says:

Yup. And heeded no warning to get the H$LL out of Dodge, beginning as early as Saturday morning. Remember seeing all the buses that “drowned” that could have been their ride to safety? Remember all the bickering with the Mayor and the Governor? There were many people to blame for the problems in New Orleans — no single person; but, it’s easier to blame just one, right?

• Hrmm… I don’t recall seeing the word “every” or “100 percent” or anything of the sort in there. But then again I don’t think of Katrina as being a “domestic problem that plagues this country”… it was a natural disaster.

Either way, I didn’t write it… just found it thought provoking. 🙂

8. ACConservative says:

Folks, this was not an instance of Deal being asked to step down. If Deal was brought up on ethics charges, he most likely loses his pension.
    If he “retires” from Congress, he gets to keep his retirement payments (funded by you and me of course). So Nathan knew that getting out now was the best financial option. Now, win or lose, Nathan will be retiring on the backs of the American taxpayer.
    That’s the real deal.

• polisavvy says:

Do you really feel that way? That’s frightening to think about isn’t it? Especially for those who never saved for their golden years.

• IndyInjun says:

Pension plans got overloaded with toxic assets the same way the banks did. The Fed bought up toxic assets to recapitalize banks but not pensions.

Low single-digit interest rates send pension fund asset requirements into the stratosphere. For example, it takes about $600,000 to fund a $3500.00 per month pension ($42,000 a year) for 25 years at 5% on an amortizing balance basis.

It is hard to find safe investments paying 5%.

The Georgia Teachers fund lost $10 billion over the last 2 years.

Most voters don’t have pensions, they have 401k’s and those have taken a beating due to the stock market fall and their own dose of toxic assets. Therefore, there will be an uprising if government tries to make people who have no pension pay high taxes to fund government pensions.

9. Tireless says:

This should free up the sitting Congressmen to endorse who they really like, that sure isn’t Deal. Wait for it.

10. Rick Day says:

The Bible teaches us that…

Your Bible does not teach JACK. It foments ignorance though an extremely narrow view of an infinite subject.

Deal, with your own words, you fail; just another toady to the christian fundy. Ralph Reed 2.0

I applaud your resignation, although I see no apology for your right wing pandering and obstructionist tactics.

Looking forward to voting against you in the primaries, choir boy.

11. jackson says:

I guess the only people eligible to run for Governor now are Oxendine and Austin Scott. Everyone else (Johnson, Handel, and Deal) resigned their position to run full time.

I think the obamacare talking point pushed by opponents is a politically savvy one but it doesnt make any sense. The vote wont be a one or two vote win. And its going to be decided in the Senate not the House.

Its amazing how people here think that Nathan Deal would make such a bad governor, but somehow are pissed off if he leaves Congress. How hypocritical. Or just typical.

• polisavvy says:

Jackson, I think some people don’t want him representing us in either position and that’s why they say what they say. I personally don’t want someone with the possible baggage that he has to be Governor — but that’s just my opinion. We may never know exactly what could have been contained in that report. To me, that’s troubling if there is anything substantial that could have been divulged that might make people either vote for or vote against him. If they had nothing, they had nothing. If they had something, I think we should all be privy to it.

• polisavvy says:

My sentiments exactly, Indy. Also, the cloud that will surround his campaign because of his departure, without sticking around the face the music, is not going to be a big vote booster, in my opinion.

• Kellie says:

I think he did the right thing by leaving. His ‘no’ vote would not help defeat obamacare and he would have been picked apart for every move he made.

Some on here think he did it to dodge ethics complaints. I doubt that.

• polisavvy says:

I think the timing of everything is what is raising suspicions now. He has commented on the campaign trail that he welcomed an opportunity to get things out in the open, then the time is nearing to be able to do so, and he resigns. I think that’s why people are thinking he’s trying to “dodge ethics complaints.”

• Kellie says:

maybe so, but I bet if there is anything there it will still come out. People won’t let it slide just because he resigned.

• polisavvy says:

If there is anything and anyone sits on it, it certainly won’t help the Democratic nominee, will it? They way I’m hearing it, it’s not going to be coming out. So I guess no one will ever know (unless there is a leak, conveniently leaked in October (if he’s the nominee)). No time for damage control.

• Kellie says:

If there is anything, don’t think another republican won’t leak it if they get the chance before the primary.

• polisavvy says:

I’m sure that any one of the six other candidates would be pleased to be privy to that information.

12. BillinSuwanee says:

Thank GOD he is resigning. Our families are that much safer from the abuses and torment of guv’mint indebtedness that he voted YEA.

• BillinSuwanee says:

Working to earn money to pay off Nathan Deal’s YEA votes for increased guv’mint and bureaucracy.

• polisavvy says:

LOL! I’d just missed seeing your posts. Unfortunately, we all are responsible for this mess, right?

13. jackson says:

So, just to be clear:

Nathan Deal SHOULDN’T be in office.

But since he IS in office he SHOULDN’T resign from office. (Thats because there is a really really important investigation going on and some undetermined vote that will take place at some undetermined time.)

He SHOULD resign from office once the investigation is completed and if he is found to be violation of some rule of the House. (Thats because he wouldn’t be fit to be in office he has an ethics violation, unlike other candidates for office, who are fit for office even though they have ethics violations).

But if nothing comes of it, he still SHOULDN’T be in office and SHOULD resign because he is corrupt and a bad congressman.

We SHOULD condemn him because we would rather a SUPPOSEDLY corrupt congressman stay in office longer to prove that he is corrupt, then let him leave congress where his SUPPOSED corruption was taking place because its better to know about the corruption than to actually stop it.

Did I get that right?

Its so funny how easily manipulated people are on here by the talking points of each campaign. Anyone that knows Nathan Deal knows he is not some corrupt politician. You may not like his votes, or his comments, but he’s not corrupt and he’s not a slimeball as dicarus and other shills on here claim or imply.

• Icarus says:

Please find me any quote at any time where I said Deal should not be in Congress.

Many times I’ve suggested he retire and/or leave the Governor’s race.

But I don’t believe I’ve ever suggested anywhere he should resign his seat. In fact, I am on record as saying he should work with the House ethics committee and request a quick hearing to clear his name, if he believes he can.

Instead, he’s leaving in advance of their report, with the findings now likely buried forever.

• jackson says:

You have been trashing him mercilessly for months. You can play word games but you cant imply someone is corrupt in one breath and in the next breath claim they should stay in office. Its either hypocritical or ridiculous. You can’t have it both ways.

I, for one, am glad I am an American where due process affords me to be “INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty.” It’s not the other way around. If he truly did something sinister, forward the complaint on to the Attorney General or the Department of Justice. Crime is Crime and if someone is corrupt and committed a crime, then prosecute them.

I dont think Nathan Deal needs to “clear his name” because clearing imply’s that there is a legitimate argument that he did something wrong. WHAT DID HE DO THAT BROKE THE LAW? WHAT DID HE DO THAT VIOLATED THE RULES OF THE HOUSE? COnsidering FOIA and all the help from the GA Tax Commissioner, you think they would have SOMETHING that would implicate Nathan Deal. But the truth is, they don’t. So the only thing to do is impune the integrity of a man that has served Georgia honestly for 30 years. As a prosecutor himself. As a Judge. As a military veteran. As a Senator. As a COngressman. Yet he’d give up the great name he built for himself to make a piddly sum of money on some obscure business? YOur implications are insulting and the reality is show me the evidence or keep your mouth shut.

• ByteMe says:

What he did was set himself up with a sweetheart deal with the state and then use employees in his House office to help maintain that sweetheart deal at taxpayer expense. Yeah, he’s clean as a proverbial mudcake.

• John Konop says:

Jackson,

We must hold LAWMAKERS to a hire standard than just CONVICTED! I think Nathan Deal and Charlie Rangel should get out of the public office game holding hands! We need party leadership on both sides to do more than cover unethical behavior in situations like this!

jackson,

I have posted an analysis of Deal’s rotten voting record versus the stated principles of the GOP countless times.

Do I need to do it again.

Nathan Deal switched parties in name only.

He is a LIAR if he calls himself a REPUBLICAN.

Yeah, I know. “Everybody does it.”

That is why state and nation are BANKRUPT.

Deal got himself pictured alongside Rangel. That is going to stick with him.

I see by the poll numbers that he might fall behind Johnson.

I got quite vocal against Reed and I intend to do the same against Deal.

You need to find an honest man to support.

• jackson says:

IF you don’t like how he votes, fine. If you don’t like comments he makes fine. There is nothing wrong with that.

But to call someone corrupt — to imply Nathan Deal has sacrificed the principles he’s fought for and worked so hard for some supposed “sweetheart” contract that barely made him more in 20 years than 2 years of salary? Seriously?

Again, where is the evidence? I am not asking for conjecture or some summary of what the AJC might have said, but where is the actual evidence of wrong doing? Please show me. I am eager to know. Put up or shut up.

Indy, its ridiculous — yes, ridiculous — to claim that someone is corrupt because you dont like how they vote.
            The hard core republican voters of his district seem to disagree with you on whether he is a good enough “republican” or not. They have reelected him time and again. I disagree with you too. But that doesn’t mean you are corrupt because I don’t like your viewpoint.

Its seriously sad that blogs like Peach Pundit have digressed into the trash they have, where any jerk with a computer and nothing better to do sit around and trash personal lives and impune the integrity of people they don’t even know — more so people who have served our country and Americans admirably — because they disagree with the their viewpoint, or just simply want someone else to win a political contest.

• IndyInjun says:

Deal is a LIAR. He voted for just about everything a REPUBLICAN is supposed to oppose.

He did it, not me.

He and you better buckle down the old helmet.

I cannot speak for the others on here, but I don’t intend to be quiet.

• Icarus says:

Jackson,

Words mean things. You claimed that I said I wanted Deal out of Congress. I have never said that.

The fact that you’re offended that I’ve called Deal out on his own stupidity isn’t my problem. When you’re called “Radioactive” by the editorial board of the largest conservative newspaper in the state, it’s more than just me trashing someone.

Deal himself took potshots at Handel and Johnson when they resigned their position. Yet he’s now leaving Washington in the middle of the biggest expansion of the Federal Government ever.

And yes, I do believe we as voters need to know the results of that ethics investigation. And by leaving days before the report was due, he will now forever remain under an ethical cloud. Like it or not, that’s the way life and politics are.

Deal is the only person who can fix that now, however.

He needs to ask the House Ethics Committee to release their findings.

• Icarus,

You have got to do a better job of trashing him [Deal] mercilessly for months. I completely missed it. Next time you trash someone, please do so much more often for far lengthier posts and with more enthusiasm. I don’t want to miss that twice!

• jackson says:

I’m sorry, Icarus, I don’t have time to research all your comments over the past few months so I will take your word for it. But I am confused. Just earlier, you said he should retire from Congress.

But, I am guessing, he shouldn’t do it for another 10 months. Do I have that correct?

So, instead of electing a supposedly better conservative EARLIER with a special election (say, perhaps your good buddy Tom Graves who ironically has lots of good things to say about Nathan Deal) or a candidate in the vein of Lynn Westmoreland (who you seem to have a man crush on, that also says all sorts of nice things about Nathan Deal) we should let a potentially corrupt congressman who doesnt really share our values stay in office?

What’s even funnier is that you think he should request a release of a report that he doesn’t have anything to do with creating. Its someone’s assessment of the complaint and with no legal bearing. And in your obvious naivety, you believe there would be NO agenda behind this supposedly incendiary report.

So, lets say this report, the one that is anxiously awaiting release but can’t because Nathan Deal resigned, lets say it says he didn’t do anything wrong. Is that the end of it with you? Me thinks not. (And I think you know it too, Icarus). No, I think you will continue to try to find other ways to impugn his integrity on the same issue, but with perhaps a different angle. But that is my guess. I would hate to impugn your integrity and accuse of something I don’t have facts for.

But, I digress. I would ask however, that for a third time, please, show me the proof. Show me what he has done wrong. Show me the facts. Show were he broke an ethics rule or a law or even a finger nail. Please. Let’s put this to rest.

• old political pro says:

your problem here Jackson is that you’re getting into an argument with a guy whose idea of political strategy is to “be a man and talk to the cameras directly”, and other such wisdom he spews forth regularly.

Don’t get in arguments with guys who recruit teenage boy Mini-mes to fawn all over them.

They can’t handle the truth. They just want hero worship from a dozen former Chess Club presidents.

• IndyInjun says:

No, his problem is that he is backing one of the two worst candidates in this race.

Icarus had nothing to do with Deal getting his picture plastered alongside that of Charlie Rangel, Deal did.

I had nothing to do with Deal choosing to vote us all $trillions in debt, contrary to what this party is supposed to stand for, Deal did.

If Obama cannot find his birth certificate, maybe it can be found where Deal’s ethics got lost.

• GOPGeorgia says:

“Icarus and I fight on here all the time, probably worse than any other two here, but on this race we are united.”

Can I challenge the first part of that claim?

You and me

or You and Konop?

Either way, you and I are in two of the bigger tiffs.

I don’t think Jackson has any use for Ic, Konop, or me.

• Henry Waxman says:

The “Ethics” Committee (the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct doesn’t give you a hearing when you ask for it. Their staff takes their time, taking the member’s time and tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees in the process. It’s not a court.

14. Chris says:

So, anyone want to place a bet that if Deal is our nominee, a draft of that ethics report will find its way into the hands of the AJC sometime in October?

• Chris,

I believe that is the definition of a “sucker best”. I have no doubt that is exactly what will happen. The potential result can also be found in the dictionary. Look under “ugly”, “disaster” and “cognitive dissonance”.

15. Silent Outrage says:

I for one hope this matter gets referred to the US Justice Department for prosecution. Corruption, be it by Republican or Democrat, deserves to be prosecuted.

Turn the House investigation over to the Feds and let’s see what happens…

• GOPGeorgia says:

I agree with that, especially if it can be done quickly. My open question, similar to Jackson’s, is if the report or investigation states that no laws were broken, will you still be calling Deal corrupt? I’m betting most of his detractors on here will.

I still subscribe to innocent until proven guilty, even for LAWMAKERS. It’s too easy to levy a charge and claim just because they are charged, they are guilty. I think CREW is back by Soros and has an agenda. The house ethics committee might have an agenda, but I think they’ll at least have to cite a law, house rule, or something written down to claim he did something corrupt. I am interested to see what they have to say. And if they say his innocent, I am interested to see what many on here have to say.

• IndyInjun says:

Evidently Ralph Reed broke no laws, as he was not prosecuted, but pimping out the Baptists was not to be overcome. The emails spelled him out as either too crooked or two stupid to be electable.

After Bush 41 left office and became a director for Barrick, the US government sold Barrick $10 billion of gold in the ground for $10,000. That was perfectly “legal” too.

Is no abuse of power or self enrichment at public expense beyond your censure if the perp wears a “R”???? as long as the abuse of power or preferential treatment was “legal?”

• GOPGeorgia says:

Concerning Ralph Reed, the primary process worked. Casey got the nomination and then was elected. The voters are smart enough to decide who they want to elect. Our GOP primary for Gov. may work out the same way. Reed may not have been found guilty in courtroom, but apparently the voters of the GOP primary didn’t care for it. If he were really guilty of breaking a law, he should be locked up. I saw him in Atlanta about a week ago.

Re: Bush 41, I am unfamiliar with that story, therefore, no informed comment.

I don’t care if someone has an R or D beside there name with the presumption of innocence. The only way that changes for me is if I have evidence in my hands that the general public does not. If I see or find a smoking gun, I call it in to the authorities regardless of the party of the individual. That will also give me reason to doubt innocence. If I am told about a smoking gun already in possesi0n of the authorities, I still assume innocence, and wait for the results of a trial. Regarding Deal, I don’t have every fact or a fact that no one else has. I am a spectator and I assume innocence. I’d like to see the results of the ethics committee and if appropriate, of a trial.

• Kellie says:

I agree GOP. We need to let this play out. If he did do something wrong I am sure the other candidates will inform all of us. They won’t let it slide.
            Until then, everyone needs to stop assuming.

• John Konop says:

As I said the standard must be hire than just CONVICTED. What Ox did to Westmoreland is unethical anyway you slice it, and if it was not against the law it should have been. The same applies to Deal!

I could careless if it is Richardson, Rangel, Vitter, Spitzer……. Politically agree or not with Westmoreland, he did the right thing, and instead of taking the easy way out he came forward and told the truth. Should we not expect that from officeholders as a start, not just an option?

• GOPGeorgia says:

If Congressman Deal did so something illegal, he needs to held accountable. I’m under the assumption that he hasn’t.

• GOPGeorgia says:

JK,

Do you know everything that “Ox did to Westmoreland?” I don’t. I wasn’t there. I’ve read about it on a blog, therefore, everything I read on PP must be true?

My attitude is that a judge and a jury will hear both sides and render a fair an impartial verdict. Surely, you’ve heard that there are 3 sides to every story. I don’t make judgments after hearing one side. In the case of PP, I don’t even get one side. I get someone’s interpretation of what one side is. We rarely hear the other side, and the third side of the story is the truth (or at least unbiased facts.)

I don’t come after people with pitchforks after hearing one persons version of what he was told that happened.

Believing everything that is posted without knowing the other side and all of the real facts can get into serious distortions on what has really happened.

For example: “Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?”

“Um, he’s sick. My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious. “

16. jackson says:

So, I take it by the silence that no one will be providing any facts or information about what Nathan Deal did wrong. Is that correct?

Indy, at least when it came to Ralph Reed, voters had FACTS about Ralph Reed’s actions and on which to make a decision. Even though I have asked 3 times in this thread for facts or evidence of ANY wrongdoing you haven’t produced anything. All you have spouted off is he voted for a bunch of debt and feeble attempt at humor as it relates to the birth certificate issue.

IF you don’t like how he votes or what he talks about fine. I dont agree with everything Nathan Deal says. But stop saying/implying/intimating/suggesting he is corrupt when you have absolutely no basis in fact that he did so.

• IndyInjun says:

Corrupt is a less stringent term than illegal, as Reed’s case shows.

Being corrupt extends to getting a DEAL that a constituent cannot get by virtue of political position, power, or Quid-pro-quo. Reed apparently stayed within the bounds of legality when he took money from an Indian tribe to get anti-gambling Baptist (and other) churches to protest a rival tribe casino. That might not have been illegal, but many/most people saw that as corrupt as hell.

Bush 41 apparently got lined up to be a Director of Barrick in his closing days in office and the deal to sell $billions (I think the $100 billion that the Dems use is absurd) of US government gold resources.

This is not proof enough for you, I suspect. Are you denying that Deal met with Graham accompanied by Cagle? Are you denying that Deal gets remuneration from this inspection business? Are you saying that any citizen of Georgia can get an audience with the Revenue Commissioner accompanied by the presiding officer of the Georgia Senate over an impending decision that materially impacts said citizens business without the implication that an adverse decision could adversely impact the Revenue Department?

I was not there when Nicole Simpson was murdered. OJ was not convicted. Do I believe he was the killer? Do you?

Taken in conjunction with Deal’s very clear abandonment of Republican Party principles during his tenure in Washington DC, I believe the circumstances surrounding this meeting means that Nathan Deal is one of the two most dishonest people in the governor’s race.

Is this clear enough for you?

• GOPGeorgia says:

OK Indy,

I will dive into this with you. If you are referring to Pres. Bush 41 again, for my sake, I’ve already stated that I am unfamiliar with the situation. You used the word “apparently” to describe that situation. Does that mean it is not a fact that is undisputable?

Let’s assume the AJC got the story perfectly. I don’t dispute that Congressman Deal met with Graham. As far as what any citizen can do, that’s a bit of a stretch. Deal has been on Air Force One. Can any citizen of Georgia do that? I fully agree that Congressman Deal can do things and meet with people that the average citizen cannot. However, Congressman Deal has met without state agencies before without incident.

A few quotes from the AJC article:

“We ought to know when vehicles are being titled and put back on the road after being wrecked and rebuilt that somebody in an objective fashion, like the state inspectors, is actually looking at it,” Deal said. “And not just somebody paying their next-door neighbor to certify they did it right.”

“Deal said he is not opposed to putting the inspection process out to competitive bidding.” —– “Deal and Cronan did not want the inspection system changed. ‘Without a doubt,’ Graham said.”

That goes back my illustration of two sides and the truth. Were you in the room? Do you KNOW (STAKE YOUR LIFE ON IT) what was said? I don’t. I don’t know Graham or any motivations he may have.

The biggest part of the story is that it looks like Chris Riley used the wrong e-mail account to correspond with Lt. Gov. Cagle’s office. (Is that a hanging offence?)

“Riley, Deal’s chief of staff, e-mailed state officials around this time from his U.S. House e-mail account about Deal’s business, in an apparent attempt to keep the money in the state budget, according to copies of the e-mails obtained by the AJC through the state Open Records Act.”

There’s that word “apparent” again.

If you know every facet of this story, please explain a few things for me:

1.) Please provide the e-mails that Chris Riley sent, word for word. We, the voters, want to make up our own minds on what is “apparent” and what is not.

2.) Please explain exactly how Deal got the bid to begin with? Did he have access to information that was not made to the general public? Was his business unqualified to provide this service? It seems that the Department of Revenue can’t find the records, but I will bow to your superior wisdom, if you can provide it.

3.) Why would Riley send an e-mail stating that it was OK for this to be left out of the budget? If the whole purpose was to get something kept in the state budget, why would Congressman Deal say it was OK not to do it? The vote was already taken by less than an hour, but I don’t understand why that would happen. Was this some attempt to cover his tracks? If he’s as bad as you seem to imply, I’m not sure why he would bother.

4.) Did Con. Deal or Lt. Gov. Cagle discuss anything else before they met with Graham? If so, what?

5.) What was the reply to the e-mail on March 23, Cagle aide Brian Knight e-mailed Riley: “I just wanted to clarify that you are asking the DOR Salvage Inspection Program be fully funded at the previous continuation budget of $1.7M?” Do you know for a fact that this e-mail was read? I want to know what the reply was.

I’m not asking you to change your beliefs or opinions. You are entitled to think that Deal is one of the most “dishonest” people running. Can you please prove where he has lied? I know he said something I wished he wouldn’t have regarding Grandmothers. I am looking for FACTS (indisputable, agreed by all), and not things that “apparently” happened or that are “apparent.”

And just for fun:

I’m just stating that I don’t know all the details. Apparently, you think you do. Please educate us.

17. IndyInjun says:

GOP,

I wasn’t there when Nicole Simpson was there, but I believe what I read about it because there were many sources. I wasn’t there when Bruce Babbit signed the gold mines over to Barrick after Barrick started its application in 1992, was the only miner to have its application expedited, its CEO meeting with Bush 41, then Bush going on its International Advisory board in 1995. I know these things from following the gold markets. I don’t believe that buying $tens of Billions (as noted the Dem’s claims are suspect at $100 billion) of gold for $10,000 is something I or you can do. I also believe a deal like that to be corrupt on its face.

As for Deal, the tenets of the Republican party are fiscal responsibilility and Deal’s votes doubled the national debt, states rights/ government close to the people and Deal voted for NCLB, opposition to social programs and Deal voted for the biggest social program in 40 years, honor of the Constitution and Deal voted for Patriot Act and Military commissions act.

Go look up “I am a Republican Because….” used by most GOP chapters and you will see all these things. Do you deny that these are major party standards? Are you denying that Deal voted against them on a consistent basis.

The standards are clear and so are Deal’s violations of them.

Such dishonorable conduct lends credence to the AJC story and CREWS listing of Deal as a corrupt politician.

I am a Republican and hold its officials to party standards.

What are you and Deal and can you show me YOUR standards?

• GOPGeorgia says:

Indy,

I don’t think it’s fair for you to ask me questions if you won’t answer mine. The topic at hand is not if Deal a good Republican. You have called him “Corrupt” and I am asking for facts to back that up. You broke out this topic, so I am asking you to stay on it. You called him dishonest and I want you to show me where he lied.

If you can’t do any of that or answer my 5 questions, just admit it and we will move on. I’ll answer any question you like as long as you do me the courtesy of answering mine first.

• IndyInjun says:

Tell you what – I cannot answer your questions unless I have full access to all documents and to all parties involved. This is what Congress what have done, then everyone would know.

Unless Deal allows,even demands the investigation that Congress would have performed, his name can be cleared.

Short of that, the AJC article stands against him.

The record of Deal’s treachery versus the Republican party’s standards is clear.

They are his standards and yours, not mine, but since you call yourselves Republicans I will hold you to them.

• GOPGeorgia says:

I am on record as wanting to know the results of the investigation. I’d like to see his name cleared, but I think they will nail Congressman Deal with Chris Riley with using the wrong e-mail to conduct what COULD be seen as non Congressional business. If that’s the worst they have, I’d call it a win for him. If they come out with something more, I want him held fully accountable. BTW, I don’t speak for Congressman Deal. He can do that on his own. If he makes it to the general, I may change my tune, but for now, I let the primary process work.

“The AJC article stands against him.” Did you think they were going to not run something against him or any other GOP contender for Gov.? Anyone who gets close to the nomination will become a target. Sometimes there will be good reason to do so. Everyone has baggage, it’s just a question of what type and how much. Then that baggage needs to be weighed against what that person can bring to the job. Then it needs to be compared to the other choices. It’s not a pretty process, but it works.

As opposed to hearing something that I don’t like and grabbing a pitchfork, I don’t assume I know everything there is to know about a situation. At least I’ve got you admitting that you really don’t know everything there is to know about it either.

Not related to the AJC, you’ve called him dishonest. Can you prove he lied, or is that from the AJC as well?