Balfour Makes It Official

Received via email:

(SNELLVILLE) – With veteran Republican congressman John Linder’s announcement he will not seek re-election, Republican State Sen. Don Balfour confirmed today he will seek the Republican nomination for the 7th Congressional District of Georgia.

“Elections should be about leaders standing up to defend conservative principle,” said Balfour. “I am running to be the voice of principled conservative leadership for the 7th District.”

Noting Linder’s work to pass the FairTax, Balfour thanked Linder for his service and pledged to pick up the torch of this crucial objective. “The FairTax is about the freedom to control your own taxes instead of Obama and Democrats in Congress raising your income taxes for welfare state spending,” Balfour said. “I will continue John’s work on this issue.”

Balfour also pledged to stand up against President Obama and Speaker Pelosi’s “radical left wing agenda” because of his belief that Congress must turn away from “We the Government” and back to the Founding Fathers idea of “We the People”.

“We must stop Cap-and-Trade, Card Check, and government-run healthcare,” said Balfour, “and since I have never voted for an unbalanced budget in Georgia, I will help stop the Washington DC debt machine that is burying our children in Chinese-owned debt.”

“I also believe the war on terrorism is just that – a war – and not a matter of criminal justice,” said Balfour. “I am committed to doing what it takes to protect America.”

Balfour also announced that Joe Rogers, the Chairman and CEO of Waffle House, will serve as the campaign’s Finance Chairman.

1. I Am Jacks Post says:

Dear Don,

Thank you for being such a prominent supporter of my 2006 campaign for Lieutenant Governor.

With my eternal gratitude,

Ralph Reed

2. BuckheadConservative says:

Man, if we play our cards right, the GOP in Georgia could get rid of a lot of dead weight this cycle. Don Balfour being part of it.

3. DMZDave says:

He should campaign on bringing a Waffle House to our nation’s capitol. I think the closest WH is over an hour out of DC near Fredricksburg, VA. DC could use an infusion of the Waffle House work ethic, the 24 hour service and of course hashbrowns, scattered and smothered.

4. Booray says:

Nice point DMZ! As for Balfour, he’s a good man. With nothing but respect for others running, Balfour’s had a very strong conservative record for a long time. Never heard any scandal associated with him, he’s got a good family, with a son serving in Afghanistan in the National Guard. Lots of positives in that.

5. zedsdeadbaby says:

This is great news! Senator Balfour is one of the true conservatives at the capitol! He will scatter, smother & cover the Obama/Pelosi agenda!! He’s got my vote!

• Provocateur says:

He will vote for whatever the lobbyists want him to vote for. This man is not “conservative” by any stretch.

6. CapitalBride says:

Buckhead Conservative,
    Can you please explain your statement? As a young conservative, I’m excited that a hard working, Christian businessman with an understanding of the importance of strong national defense is running for Rep. Linder’s seat. As far as Balfour being a curmudgeon, the Chair of Rules is responsible for making sure things are well thought out before hitting the floor in the Senate. I personally like the idea of the gatekeeper not letting everything through because it keeps lame laws from hitting the books and ultimately prevents the unnecessary expansion of government.

• BuckheadConservative says:

If Don Balfour represents Christian behavior, I must be reading the wrong Bible on Sundays. He’s churlish and intellectually dull. He’s not a curmudgeon, he’s (a bad excuse for) a bully. Policy wise he may be okay, but he’s huge part of a lot of the insider horsesh*t behavior that hurts our party’s future.

The 7th (and Georgia) can do better than Don Balfour.

• Clint Austin says:

It is a rare moment that I come on here to post anything anymore, but I want to put my name next to this.

With no disrespect to anyone else running (or considering running), you couldn’t be more wrong about Don Balfour. He’s loud, and I frankly didn’t know how to take him at first (I thought he was a little pushy), but then I got to know him better. He has to tell a lot of people including me no as Rules Chair, which can make him unpopular. But he shoots straight, and that’s something.

And most importantly, I learned the man has an enormous good heart and cares about the things that matter. We’ve developed a little bit of a bond because of his son’s deployment and my impending one, and in some of those real-world conversations that don’t have anything to do with politics, you get to know a person beyond the wierd world of politics at the Capitol.

To put it this way, when I’m gone later this year, I know Don will be sending notes of encouragement to my family and not just treating us like another “political friend.” I value that immensely, outside of anything to do with politics.

• BuckheadConservative says:

I’ve watched the man go out of his way to be rude, and I’m talking really mean-heartedly rude, to a female friend of mine who was at the capitol to speak on behalf of some legislation that affected her profession. I don’t care what he thought of the bill, that kind of behavior is never acceptable. Especially, for someone who walks around making we all know what a good Christian he is. Before the incident, my opinion of him was pretty low. That just nailed it down.

• Silent Outrage says:

You apparently live in a different state or have been dealing with the wrong Don Balfour. Yeah, you must have the Don Balfour living in Waycross or Sylvania or something, not the egotistical nightmare primadonna from Gwinnett County.

Certainly this Don Balfour you describe may live in South Carolina or something. He sounds like a nice guy. Perhaps he could teach the self serving politician from Gwinnett County a lesson or two about PUBLIC service and not PERSONAL service…

• What does someone’s religion have to do with expanding government? Not putting lame laws on the books? You mean like prohibiting the sales of alcohol on Sundays? Or are you talking about the prohibition of gambling? Or maybe it’s the outlawing of plants (marijuana, salvia divornum, possibly others)? I’m sure none of these examples were put into place by Christians, right?

7. benevolus says:

Wow! This is going to be fun!
    “the freedom to control your own taxes”? Really?
    Ah yes, the obligatory invocation of “The Founding Fathers”. As if by mentioning Them he has Their endorsement.

I don’t think you’re allowed to vote for an unbalanced budget in Georgia are you?

He wants to have a war on a tactic?

8. c_murrayiii says:

We sure do need a Waffle House up here. Though, their aren’t many folks in the Metro DC area that really have that “Waffle House Waitress” character. At least not from what I’ve seen. It looks like the 7th will have a pretty good selection of potential Reps. I personally wish Linder was leaving though.

9. old political pro says:

For once, buckheadconservative is right. Don’t get used to it BC. We’ll get back to your worship of all things MacGinnitie later. But he just nailed the true Balfour.

10. old political pro says:

Note the next Balfour disclosure for expenditures to a certain lobbyist/campaign consulting company for advice, consulting, oh yea, and posts on peach pundit.

• Provocateur says:

“People who are aggressive responders tend to have a tough, somewhat cold-hearted view of the world and people around them, he said. They agree with statements like “I don’t blame anyone for grabbing everything he can in this world” and “I don’t try to cover up my poor opinion or pity of another person.”

The study involved 39 middle-aged men and women with no history of heart disease who were undergoing an initial evaluation for coronary problems.”

39 people? You want to offer a viewpoint based on a study of 39 people?

Perhaps those pollsters should just poll 39 people for their political opinions and save a lot of money, eh?