Deal Resigning Congress Tomorrow

February 28, 2010 19:29 pm

by Icarus · 125 comments

Nathan Deal has called two press conferences tomorrow morning, one in Dalton and one in Gainesville, to announce that he is resigning from Congress.

Sources close to his campaign tell me that Deal will resign his seat in Congress to focus on his campaign for Governor. The thought process is that he is spending too much time in D.C., and needs to be around “Real” Georgia voters more often.

In doing so, however, Deal is giving up the turnout advantage for being the sitting Congressman while the vote for his replacement takes place. GA law calls for a special election to replace Deal, and assuming the special election clears the field for the general election, having an unopposed incumbent running in the 9th when the primary vote for Governor takes place is a major campaign disadvantage for Deal.

So why would Deal take the hit on turnout?

The House Ethics Committee came down hard on Charlie Rangel last week. The next case up was to look at Deal’s use of his Congressional staff to protect a no-bid State contract here in Georgia. The House ethics committee was due to release their findings in this case any day. Deal’s resignation probably makes this go away.

So, Deal can campaign full time after tomorrow. If he’s no longer a member of Congress, he can’t be on the list of CREW’s most unethical Congressmen anymore.

This one is unfolding rapidly. Check back for updates, clarifications, and if necessary, corrections.

Update: The following email was sent out by the Deal campaign to supporters this evening:

Nathan Deal, Candidate for Governor, will be making a major announcement on the steps of the Gainesville Civic Center Monday morning, March 1, at 9 a.m. If you are a friend of Nathan Deal, please join us there tomorrow morning for some good news for his campaign, Hall County and Georgia. It would be great to have a big turnout there for this event.

ready2rumble February 28, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Hi I’m Nathan Deal, and I resigned from congress being one of the most 15 unethical congressman.

Even though I claimed the charges were unfounded, I didn’t even stay in office to clear my name.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Deal was called corrupt by George Soros, a foreign, billionaire, extreme-left activist who was convicted of felony insider trading and who funds MoveOn.org and the Center for American Progress in addition to CREW.

IndyInjun March 1, 2010 at 10:09 am

Funny, how this “biased” CREW listed more Democrats as corrupt than Republicans.

That hole in your foot must hurt.

Ken in Eastman March 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Indy,

Take a look at former people listed. It’s about 31 or so Republicans and 8 Democrats. It does indeed tilt left.

ByteMe March 2, 2010 at 6:44 am

Or the Republicans were in absolute power in the very recent past and had more of a bent toward being corrupt via the K Street Project.

IndyInjun March 2, 2010 at 10:49 am

Excellent point.

Doug Deal March 2, 2010 at 10:22 am

Even if it is 31-8, is this really something to jump for joy about?

Until it is 31-0, no one on the right should be happy. Whether left or right, stop worrying about the other side and reform your own.

Doug Deal March 2, 2010 at 10:24 am

And that came out wrong. I meant that if it was flipped, 31-8 D to R, which is unclear in that.

Whether you are in the 31 or the 8 column, it is still bad.

Ken in Eastman March 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

So, is your take on this that I should not have made a valid point about the political tilt of CREWS?

If it was 31 – 0 then we wouldn’t be having this discussion anyway, would we?

My point stands, as stated.

Icarus March 2, 2010 at 11:46 am

I believe CREW is biased, and have said so here before.

But, they filed a proper (formal) complaint. Deal once looked forward to clearing his name.

Now, apparently, not so much.

polisavvy March 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

So, why do you think that is the case — that he’s not wanting to clear his name any longer?

Ken in Eastman March 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

Agreed.

I have stated on here before – and probably will again – that the appearance of impropriety hangs cloud-like over Nathan Deal. For him to gain in the polls he must address the issue before others begin to question his actions.

So far, he has failed to do so. The issue will not go away. In the general election it would take sleaze away as an issue against an ethically-challenged Roy Barnes.

polisavvy March 2, 2010 at 11:58 am

Ken, I agree with you. He needs to address the issues, but I don’t think he’s going to do so. The issues aren’t going to just magically disappear. He should realize that.

IndyInjun March 2, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I believe CREW is biased

Charlie Rangel agrees with you.

Is he on the list because he is black or because he is crooked?

Ken in Eastman March 2, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Hi Indy,

He’s on the list because he is so crooked he can’t be overlooked.

Are you coming to the Warner Robins GOP gubernatorial debate on March 9th?

IndyInjun March 2, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Going to try to come.

Doug Deal March 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm

CREW is likely biased, as pretty much everything in politics is biased. The fact is that we have corrupt politicans that people cover for because they have the right (or left) letter after their name.

This is the problem.

If we would take care of our own trash, the other side would be forced to do the same.

Ken in Eastman March 2, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Agreed.

A crooked Republican helps the Dems far more than a crooked Dem does.

I’m not too sure that if we take out the trash the other side will follow. Go back and look at the CREWS list and see how many of the former listees are gone. It’s a heck of a lot. Look at their party affiliation. Almost all of the accused Republicans are gone. The Dems (including Chuckie Rangel) are still around. Hmmmmm. The two parties may not weigh ethics differently.

ByteMe March 2, 2010 at 10:34 am

So if the Falcons lose 31-8 does that mean the refs were biased or that the Falcons need to do better? Either way, you lost and you need to do better.

Ken in Eastman March 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm

It probably means that every-other-year curse is back.

Actually, it does mean the “team” must do better.

We all know Republicans eat their own (cue the one-liners), but the Dems seem to nurture their folks who are ethically challenged. See Alcee Hastings for example number one.

ByteMe March 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Like William Jefferson? Where is he now?

Ida Claire March 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm

It takes a crook to know a crook.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 11:59 pm

CREW and the Center for American Progress were founded and are funded by the same people. CAP is one of the leading groups pushing for single-payer healthcare (just browse their site for 30 seconds: http://www.americanprogress.org/). Nathan Deal is the lead Republican on the Subcommittee on Health, the subcommittee with 90% of the jurisdiction over ObamaCare. CAP’s sister organization CREW accuses Deal of being corrupt. Call me crazy, but I see a connection.

Steve Perkins March 1, 2010 at 10:42 am

# of Republicans in the House: 178
# of Republicans selected for the CREW list: 7

Incidentally, the number of Democrats is higher. But yeah, people generally see the connections they want to see.

benevolus March 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

Is it hard to be that cynical HW? Doesn’t it upset your stomach?

Chris February 28, 2010 at 7:36 pm

3 down( Deal, Murtha, Kennedy), 533 to go.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Congress always reloads.

oompaloompa March 1, 2010 at 12:11 am

that’s awesome Farris.

Chris February 28, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I guess he can’t use the quitter line against Handel or Johnson anymore.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm

You can get in trouble on PP for implying that Handel quit high school…

Republican Lady March 1, 2010 at 12:55 am

She said she graduated, you hint she didn’t. Got proof?

Mozart March 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Got a copy of a diploma? Most graduates have one. That would be easier to produce, or even obtain from the registrar’s office.

Republican Lady March 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Why do you need to see a copy? Her word is good enough for me. She said she has one, therefore, she has one.

drjay March 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

i’m not sure i could put my hands on my high school diploma very easily, maybe i have it in a box of old stuff?, maybe it’s in my parents attic?, it may have been lost in a move?, it was 20 years ago…

benevolus March 2, 2010 at 11:57 am

Are you running for governor?

ByteMe March 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

Different qualifying documents for different positions, depending on the crazy. For governor, it appears to be a high school diploma; for president, ….

Republican Lady March 2, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Ox and Deal have college degrees and look at their records, especially as it relates to ethics, dirty politics, etc. I don’t think you want them and their practices for governor.

drjay March 2, 2010 at 12:05 pm

no, but i have run for elected office (not that i’m trying to compare my race to hers) and if someone asked me to produce said diploma, well, read my answer above…

GOPGrassroots February 28, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Hawkins is now officially toast, time to drop and run for reelection.

Special election – Tom Graves wins without a run-off.

appachtrail70 February 28, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Agreed.

~M~ February 28, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Ah, yes. Too corrupt to remain in Congress but still thinks he’s a viable candidate for Governor. That makes sense.

Jason Pye February 28, 2010 at 7:49 pm

In case anyone is wondering, Gov. Sonny Perdue will set a date for a special election in the Ninth Congressional District. Georgia code (§ 21-2-543) states that the governor has 10 days from the date of the resignation to send a writ of election to the Secretary of State. The special election must be held within 30 days of issuance of the writ.

Jason Pye February 28, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Sorry, got in a hurry misread…”not less than 30 days.”

Whenever a vacancy shall occur or exist in the office of Representative in the United States Congress from this state the Governor shall issue, within ten days after the occurrence of such vacancy, a writ of election to the Secretary of State for a special election to fill such vacancy, which election shall be held on the date named in the writ, which shall not be less than 30 days after its issuance. Upon receiving the writ of election from the Governor, the Secretary of State shall then transmit the writ of election to the superintendent of each county involved and shall publish the call of the election.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 11:04 pm

But we do not know the effective date of the resignation. I could announce tomorrow that I will resign my job effective July 1.

Tiberius February 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Correction: OCGA 21-2-543: “which shall NOT be less than 30 days after its issuance.”

Howard Roark February 28, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Congratulations Tom Graves.

Back in Black February 28, 2010 at 8:41 pm

You sock puppets are a laugh.

Graves is done. The rest of the ninth district (those of us who are paying attention) already sees the loss of momentum. His base is falling apart. Same 16 people wearing red shirts in all the photos.

66% of the district lives near Hawkins and it’s clear that he’s gained all the momentum since Evans dropped out. Graves fundraising flopped in last quarter on top of that.

Hawkins 55%, Graves 32%, Stephens 15%, the rest are also rans….

GeorgiaConservative February 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Thank you Back in Black for pointing out what the average 9th district voter knows to be true.

I’m really tired of getting on PP and only hearing a bunch of Graves Sock Puppets spew their annoying, ignorant BS.

AlanR February 28, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I still just want to know what he does for a living.

GeorgiaConservative March 1, 2010 at 12:01 am

I believe Graves owns a few rental houses with Chip Rogers.

GOPGrassroots March 1, 2010 at 6:19 am

It’s quite comical to hear you call Graves fundraising a flop when it was again more than your man Hawkins…even with his $200K personal loan. If Lee has such support as you claim, why the need to take on campaign debt…he should just go out and raise it from this mass of support in Hall and Forsyth.

Lee is going through the motions, being carried along by some hard working staff, and doesn’t seem to have any real interest in getting out and working in the 9th.

Frankly I’m just curious how many times Hawkins is going to tweet-brag about himself today. Seems to be about 3 times a day with what an accomplished, powerful guy he thinks he is. I have never seen someone who talks about himself that much. He also tweets on a scheduled rotation, just like Evans did – supported FairTax resolution, endorsed by GRTL a long time ago, Dentist so he’s ready to take on Obama, Big Sportsman going to defend our gun rights, and round and round we go. It’s actually quite entertaining trying to predict which tweet he’ll put out of the book today and recycle.

Justin Tomczak February 28, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Who knows what tomorrow will hold, but it is sure to be an interesting day.

Back in Black – to set the record straight, Graves again raised more money than anyone else in the last FEC reporting period, has received contributions from more individual donors than many of the other candidates combined, has no campaign debt and continues to run a great campaign focused on the issues.

I’m not going to get into a back and forth here, just correcting your misinformation for the PP readers.

oompaloompa March 1, 2010 at 12:13 am

Joshua Morris March 1, 2010 at 9:36 am

It’s always fun knocking off the “#1 seed.” :)

Kellie February 28, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I might just drive up the road in the morning to see him resign. ;-)
I think he is seen as part of the problem as long as he is in Congress so he has to bail.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Stay classy, Kellie.

Kellie February 28, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Well, you read that all wrong but go ahead and hide behind your fake name and make smart@$$ comments.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm

They are having a memorial service for the late Congressman Murtha on Wednesday in the Capitol Building. Maybe you come take a trip up to gloat for that one too.

Kellie March 1, 2010 at 12:03 am

I was not gloating. I was being sarcastic about only having to drive/walk a mile to see this event.

The second statement was about his perception to the voters. He really does need to get out of DC if he wants to change that.

Get out of defense mode Tommy.

Kellie March 1, 2010 at 9:45 am

I went and it was good. Nice turn out and well received.

Romegaguy February 28, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Linder and Deal in the same weekend. I need to go play the lottery

kyleinatl February 28, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Well dang…I was supposed to see him on Wednesday while I was in DC…what an interesting weekend this turned out to be.

GeorgiaConservative February 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Guess I won’t be getting those White House Tours tickets anymore… =/

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I bet you do.

Ramblinwreck February 28, 2010 at 9:17 pm

This campaign strategy to avoid ethics charges, which is what I believe it is, is going to be a very expensive hit for the counties who already don’t have any extra money to waste. I think this is going to come back and bite him in the rear.

In addition, because of the nature of the special election it is just possible that the 4th reddest district in the country and the reddest in the state of Georgia could end up with a Democrat Congressman at least till the general election in November.

Thank you Nathan Deal.

Jason Pye February 28, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Not likely.

Nathan February 28, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I have to agree with Jason. I don’t think a Democrat has much of a chance in the 9th. Steve Wilson, Sheriff of Walker County, was courted by the Georgia Democratic Party to run for Congress, but he didn’t want to. There’s always a possibility, but the probability of that happening wouldn’t be very large.

Ramblinwreck February 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Think about it. If every current Republican candidate, or even half of them, stay in and run in the special election a lone Democrat, which has already announced, could end up winning especially if the DNCC throws enough money at the race. This is a nonpartisan winner-take-all election.

I wouldn’t bet against it.

Nathan February 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Anything’s possible. If you’re right, I’ll buy you a six-pack of your favorite beer. I’m sure we’ll need it!

old political pro February 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm

what a moron. go back to raising taxes.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I would bet every dime I have against it.

macho March 1, 2010 at 7:57 am

Won’t happen, because it’s not “winer-take-all.” If one candidate doesn’t get 50% plus 1, then there is a runoff.

GOPGeorgia March 1, 2010 at 7:19 am

No way that will happen….and btw, we are the third reddest District in the nation. I want us to be number one.

ByteMe March 1, 2010 at 8:00 am

Bunch of commies.

GOPGeorgia March 1, 2010 at 8:09 am

Don’t get me started on what “Blue” could mean.

ByteMe March 1, 2010 at 8:39 am

Jewish :)

Capt. Jack Sparrow March 1, 2010 at 8:38 am

They already have a Democrat, but he’s about to resign I hear!!!

Technocrat February 28, 2010 at 9:33 pm

What an ignoramous, the only chance Deal had was the massive turnout in his old district to replace him. Now that will be gone with an intermediate cull election prior to July 20th.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Even if he announces an upcoming early retirement tomorrow, it doesn’t mean he leaves office tomorrow. The special election can be July 20 if he times his actual resignation correctly. Deal is a smart man.

Kellie February 28, 2010 at 11:44 pm

So, are you saying he is playing us?

AlanR March 1, 2010 at 1:27 am

He better not leave before the health care vote. The democrat caucus has lost three votes through retirement. If Deal leaves before the vote, it makes just that much harder.

macho March 1, 2010 at 8:01 am

I don’t think he’s an ignoramus because of this move. I’m sure the pros and cons of this decision were discussed ad nauseum within the Deal camp. The bottom line is that the contents of the ethics report had to be so devastating that they were left with no choice but to cut and run.

GOPGeorgia March 1, 2010 at 8:08 am

Or the ethics complaint would not have been investigated at all and left as something to hang around his neck until after the elctions are over. It’s not like they haven’t had enough time to do something about it until now.

polisavvy March 1, 2010 at 8:30 am

GOP Georgia, since you always seem to be able to give me reasonable answers, could you please answer something for me? I thought the report on him was due out at any time. That being said, do you think it will still be released especially since there is a Democrat controlled House?

GOPGeorgia March 1, 2010 at 8:46 am

I don’t know if the report was due out at any time soon. The report may change if Deal is not able to give a rebuttal. I think they have had plenty of time to give us the report and it hasn’t been done yet, for whatever reason. They may kill the report if he’s no longer in congress. When I have time, I will try to look up the house rules and get back to you on this.

polisavvy March 1, 2010 at 8:59 am

Thanks GOPGeorgia. I would appreciate that. Once again, you’re my go-to guy.

GOPGeorgia March 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I called the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, and was told that during an investigation, the staff of that committee could not comment. The conventional wisdom is that if he’s no longer a congressman, there’s nothing to investigate. I gathered that after reading the opening of the official code of conduct.

polisavvy March 1, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Thanks GOPGeorgia for taking the time to research this. I can always count on you. So, the bottom line is that we will never know unless something is “mysteriously” leaked, correct?

Republican Lady March 1, 2010 at 3:11 pm

There is always a loophole isn’t there. Hopefully, someone will leak the information.

polisavvy March 1, 2010 at 3:19 pm

You know it will happen. It usually does. It will be interesting to see which candidate breaks the news.

Aleq February 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Two weeks two Georgia Republicans Congressman will not return to Washington, two incumbents gone. Who is next? I like the trend.

No Ethics Fall Out Thats a Good DEAL

The real news no ethics Charges will be filled against DEAL, good job Nathan on avoiding any censure and allowing a full time effort for a Gov. Bid.

Fall out in 9th just starting… Who ever chooses to go for the special will find themselves very limited… in the time to campaign for the Primary.

Best political season in Georgia politics ever!

BuckheadConservative March 1, 2010 at 8:45 am

Certainly the most interesting. I’ll get back to you on the “best” part when we know the results.

IndyInjun February 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Kingston and Gingrey need to go next.

Their voting records are dastardly when measured by Republican party principles.

Chambliss nearly got it in 2008 on account of the same garbage.

Be gone you RINOS, be gone.

Henry Waxman February 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Gingrey a RINO??? You have got to be kidding me.

oompaloompa March 1, 2010 at 12:16 am

and the same for Kingston. You are off balance Indy.

IndyInjun March 1, 2010 at 10:00 am

Kingston and Gingrey both voted for Medicare D, the biggest social program in 40 years.

They both backed the disastrous RINO Bush policies throughout his term in office.

Kingston voted for NCLB.

They voted to increase debt limits for Bush’s insane spending.

During GOP controll the national debt barely came up short of DOUBLING.

Both of them have zero credibility against REPUBLICAN PARTY principles.

This is not surprising, I am after all the only REPUBLICAN left in Georgia.

You guys, Kinston, and Gingrey need to either find another party or change the GOP platform to embrace Obama-style spending.

Ludwig Von Beachbum March 1, 2010 at 12:39 am

You could claim your 8 year old got on your computer last night and made you look rather silly.

IndyInjun March 1, 2010 at 10:01 am

And you might look into your “hero’s” voting record on yours.

While you are at it look up “I am a Republican because…..”

There isn’t much similarity.

An eight year old can see that.

B Balz March 4, 2010 at 3:54 pm

SNAP!

highonthehill February 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Deal wasn’t much of a deal to begin with…now quitting to avoid investigation…what a man! Now a costly special election for counties that really cannot afford…nice going…NoDEAL!

old political pro February 28, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Wait….could it be?

Icarus has no idea what he’s talking about as to the elections process??!!

Nah, no way.

We all know that he’s more than just a preening peacock without any actual experience or insight other than what he gets from a tip line or two. There’s simply no way he’s such an ridiculous blowhard that he thinks real political professionals running statewide campaigns would make a major move without a strategic goal in mind.

Like running full time for governor and timing it so that the special election will still be on primary day.

I’m offended that anyone would dare say that this post and all the hyperventilating early congratulations to Granves and others is another example of why this site is so laughable.

Republican Lady February 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm

You could always to to another site! Just a thought.

macho March 1, 2010 at 8:07 am

It’s sad that Deal has such disdain for the people of his district, and the nation, that he would leave them without representation during such critical times.

Republican Lady March 1, 2010 at 11:11 am

I totally agree with you.

polisavvy March 1, 2010 at 11:25 am

What’s the old saying, “quitters never win and winners never quit?” Perhaps he should have practiced what he preached. He slammed other candidates for the very thing he just did. Lost even more credibility, in my opinion.

Mozart March 1, 2010 at 12:42 pm

If you really think all these members actually “represent” the people in their districts, then I would suggest that you’ve been living in a rabbit hole all these years with your friends Alice and the Cheshire Cat.

polisavvy March 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm

LOL!! Funny stuff. :)

Mike Hauncho March 1, 2010 at 6:38 am

You might want to look at this list before calling for their heads. We have the 5th most conservative congressional delegation in the country. While we have have wanted some votes to be cast differently, we have a very good bunch of congressmen working for us.

IndyInjun March 1, 2010 at 10:44 am

MH,

I don’t use any of those DC political ratings, I compare their major votes versus GOP platform and principles.

Also, once Bush left office, they only then reverted, not to conservatism, but anti-Obamaism.

David Staples March 1, 2010 at 11:19 am

Agreed. The anti-Obamaism has gotten extremely old. Reminds me of one of the AJC political cartoons I saw the other day…

fishtail March 1, 2010 at 9:06 am

Nice scoop Icarus…you beat the major GA news media.

drjay March 1, 2010 at 9:28 am

in fact you were political wire’s source for their post…

chefdavid March 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm
Ken in Eastman March 1, 2010 at 10:47 am

Great job, O Winged One!

However it is parsed, this is not good for the upcoming vote on the Dems’ health care travesty.

It is also not good for Congressman Deal. This will be a major negative with voters in the state even if that bill is defeated – and the reason for the timing of his resignation will be discussed ad nauseum.

IndyInjun March 2, 2010 at 10:53 am

Irrespective of Deal being one of the ’15 most corrupt’ and having a treacherous voting record, why on earth would Georgian’s want a DC denizen who has damn near destroyed this country to lead state government?

The DC crowd’s financial irresponsibility and idiocy is of epic proportions, hence the Tea Party movement.

Doug Deal March 2, 2010 at 11:08 am

Indy, maybe they want him to finish the job? The one he started in DC.

IndyInjun March 2, 2010 at 11:14 am

Well, if he were destroying the Federal government, I would be all for that, but his federal government is destroying the rest of the country.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 8 trackbacks }