Smoltz for Congress?

February 27, 2010 18:40 pm

by Jason · 41 comments

Many of us are talking about who will run in GA-7 to succeed John Linder. Politico is engaging in wild speculation:

Potential candidates to replace Linder include former Georgia GOP Chairman and onetime Christian Coalition Director Ralph Reed, longtime state Sen. Don Balfour and state Sen. David Shafer, a former state party executive director who previously had considered a bid for lieutenant governor. Each hails from Gwinnett County, the population center of the district.

Other prospective candidates include state Rep. Clay Cox and Doug MacGinnitie, a Sandy Springs City Council member currently running for secretary of state.

Another name that’s come up is former Secretary of State Karen Handel, who lives just outside the district and is currently running for the GOP gubernatorial nomination but has raised little money. On Saturday afternoon, however, Handel’s consultant said she would stay in the governor’s race.

“Karen is not going to run for Linder’s seat,” said Dan McLagan.The Georgia primary is not until July 20; the filing deadline is April 30.

Another name to consider, according Jim Galloway, is John Smoltz:

Late this afternoon, a Washington source called with this surprise: One of the people likely to approached as a candidate for Linder’s seat by Republicans will be former Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz.

Smoltz has been paying down some dues in several Republican contests in Georgia over the last two years. He’s been part of a fund-raiser for U.S. Rep. Tom Price of Roswell, and if memory serves, he cut a robo-call for U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss in ‘08.

Smoltz is still a free agent, but is attracting some interest from MLB teams.

Icarus February 27, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Much like the 9th race, one has to ask (with regards to Smoltz) about this line: “One of the people likely to approached….”

Beware of passive voice in politics. Who is doing this approaching, and why?

This is a safe GOP district, with many GOP party regulars of various stripes and flavors waiting for this day so they can “move up”.

The G-7 (now 5?) won’t be doing any recruiting. There are at least three (financial) heavyweights taking a strong look.

Thus, anyone doing the “recruiting” is probably doing it out of self interest.

Note to Smoltz and any other potential candidates. Beware of consultants bearing gifts.

Ken in Eastman February 27, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Icarus,

I think this reads like the NRCC to me.

Icarus February 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Not a chance. The NRCC is only worried about “pickup” districts, or those they may lose.

There is no way in hell they’re concerned that if Shafer, Balfour, or Cox are the Republican nominee, that this district will be lost to the Dems.

This is wishful thinking on the part of someone that wants to earn a commission on every dollar raised, and every dollar of media buys.

macho February 27, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I completely agree. Why would the NRCC, be worried about recruiting someone in a solid GOP district. There are too many Dem House districts, that voted for McCain, ripe for picking.

Buzz Brockway February 27, 2010 at 11:25 pm

“Making your money ours” is the motto of many a consultant.

IndyInjun February 27, 2010 at 7:16 pm

It is one thing to dish out high fast balls, it is another to be on the receiving end.

Heck in politics, you cannot even charge the plate, you are too busy passing it.

IndyInjun February 27, 2010 at 7:18 pm

And Reed????????

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha……he pimped out the Baptists….hahahahhahahahaha…..

Reed!!!!!

Thanks. I will laugh the rest of the evening.

Ken in Eastman February 27, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I am a huge John Smoltz baseball fan. I am a fan of John Smoltz the competitor who leaves nothing in the locker room. I am also a fan of John Smoltz the philanthropist and from first-hand experience I can state that John Smoltz is an excellent public speaker.

As for John Smoltz the potential politician, to be fair to the man himself, the answer is that I’ll wait and see what he has to say.

IndyInjun February 27, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Ken, I agree.

This is a good year for a non-politician to run, too.

Bill Greene February 27, 2010 at 7:46 pm

This is the PERFECT year for non-politicians to run.

Tiberius February 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm

This is the guy who sued his neighbors over something aesthetic to his house right? What was it again?

Go BO SOX!!!!!!!!!

Republican Lady February 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I’m a non-politican, just an academic. Wonder if I could run?

Republican Lady February 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I’m a non-politican, just an academic. Wonder if I could run?

Republican Lady February 27, 2010 at 9:04 pm

And I live in Gwinnett!

IndyInjun February 27, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Your poodle is probably for the FairTax.

He won’t have to pay it.

IndyInjun February 27, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Go for it.

Anyone not an existing elected party official should have a shot.

Between Sex with Lobbyists and the rest being mum about it, Atlanta needs total turnover.

Between Bush-ite madness, epic corruption and wild spending DC needs a turnover.

None of the GA GOP delegation who was on it in 2000 deserves reelection.

Before I get jumped on, it was THEIR party platform and standards they crapped all over, not mine. I just hold them to their standards.

That’s it.

Run. Fresh blood is needed……and more important some folks with brains and independence of thought from lobbyists.

Jeremy Jones February 28, 2010 at 9:41 am

I hear this a lot. But, I have yet to see very many get behind, financially, such a candidate.

Maybe I am not the perfect candidate, but, I fit the exact description as stated. I am not a party hack, I have not even been an active member in the Georgia GOP structure. I hear everywhere I go how great it is someone is running to buck the system. I ask for $25, the silence is often deafening.

My point is, as I have made on this board often, many people claim to want an outsider, however, those same people do not seem to want to help elect such a person.

I may be way out in left field, (pun intended) but I know in my heart of hearts, come election day, as things are right now, I could easily place 4th, with a little luck 3rd, and with a break or two be in the run-off. However, none of that matters unless I raise enough money to run the campaign I want. Which, by the way, is less than 10% of what most other candidates claim. But, even that small amount is hard to find.

So, someone like Smotlz, I agree, he would be good in the stated situation, as he will not have any trouble fund raising, but, it seems, to me, a candidate from left field has an uphill battle in an open primary.

richie.rashad February 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Mark Marietta out of Snellville is thinking about jumping into the GOP race to replace Linder. Mark is a big guy who is a populist Republican – a candidate that bring the Tea Party activists back into the fold. His email is [email protected] – i think he would be tough to beat.

ByteMe February 27, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Smoltz’s skin is too thin for a campaign. No chance.

IndyInjun February 27, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Actually, I think that is changing. People would love to see real anger and real people take on the DC lunacy.

They might have to hire more Sergeants at Arms, though.

Romegaguy February 27, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I heard Brian Kemp is running for Congress… I mean Agricultural Commissioner… I mean, what is he running for again?

HowardRoark February 28, 2010 at 10:47 am

Hey! I think you’re onto something here….How about Brian Kemp get appointed to Linder’s seat, and Doug MacGinnitie could be the next SoS. Brian gets a job, and Georgia gets a great SoS. Win win.

HowardRoark February 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Hey, looks like we’re finally learning some more about what went on the days before Kemp’s appointment. Someone just released this phone conversation from Kemp to Sonny:

macho February 27, 2010 at 9:02 pm

A couple of things:

I’m hearing from some folks close to Ox that he’s giving it some consideration, since Gwinnett is his home county, and his poll numbers for Governor have been plummeting.

Also, Georgia has a long history of electing congressmen who don’t live in the district. Linder himself won not living in the district, although I can’t remember if he was an incumbent at the time. Regardless; Chambliss, Gingrey and Scott immediately come to my mind as Congressmen who were not incumbents and won residing outside their districts.

Ken in Eastman February 27, 2010 at 9:32 pm

The difference may be that Chambliss already represented that district prior to redistricting and “officially” he and Julianne resided in Macon at the time.

Cynthia McKinney is another example, though, having moved into an apartment inside the district her daddy (Billy) designed for her just before the district as created.

macho February 28, 2010 at 8:46 am

The folks I mentioned, with the exception of Linder (which I don’t know if he was an incumbent), all lived outside the district as non-incumbents.

Silent Outrage February 27, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Ox could really push the Fair Tax as a Member of Congress. He should do it if he is really serious about he Fair Tax.

His numbers are tanking. There is no way he will win the nomination for Goveror. A Congressional race is winable for him.

BuckheadConservative March 1, 2010 at 8:58 am

Replacing Linder with Oxendine would be an epic fail the likes of which haven’t been seen in this state for a long time. I don’t think it’s likely he’ll jump in (his ego is far too big to step aside in the Gov race), but if he does and he faces a strong candidate from the same geography w/o all the baggage (aka Shafer) he’ll get crushed.

old political pro February 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Saw MacGinnitie at the Gwinnett GOP HQ opening earlier. Maybe there is something to this rumor in CQ.

Icarus February 27, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Nice try loser. See other thread.

Part-Time Atlanta February 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Lol. You think Kemp’s folks want Mac out?

Ronald Daniels February 28, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Why wouldn’t they? No Mac in the race and there isn’t a primary race.

Donna Locke February 27, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I’ll trade you a country music singer for the baseball player.

Bill Greene February 27, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I think I’ve seen those cards.

Maurice Atkinson February 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

Reed could easily win in that district. I do think he would be solid and vocal. Wonder if he is interested?

Romegaguy February 28, 2010 at 9:48 am

I bet there are some Indian Casino owners that hope he is interested

HowardRoark February 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

Another Reed v Shafer showdown, circa 2001? That could be fun.

B Balz February 28, 2010 at 10:34 am

Cynthia McKinney is running for GA-7? Wow.

IndyInjun February 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Ok, I doubled Checked to see.

Today is not April 1.

richie.rashad February 28, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I think he would be tough to beat.

brian.holcombe February 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I could support a Tea Party candidate – who is Mark Marietta?

Comments on this entry are closed.