On the 7th

As Tyler notes, Linder is out. The chief proponent of the Fair Tax is going to retire.

Can we get Doug MacGinnite to hop into that race? It is more and more clear that he has less and less of a path to victory in the Secretary of State’s race. He’s in that district. He’d be terrific. We need him in office. This might be a good spot.

Actually, Doug may not be in the district. Dang it. Well then can we get Ox in the race and beat him there so he’s not tying up the Governor’s race with his b.s., or is that o.s.?

• Icarus says:

Because Doug isn’t interested, and despite the folks wanting him out of Kemp’s race will be sure to tell him what a great chance he has of getting elected to Congress, Doug 1) actually wants to be secretary of state, and 2) is smart enough to know that someone from Gwinnett will take this handily.

• polisavvy says:

Well, I don’t want him to drop out of the SOS race. I certainly don’t want Sonny’s puppet boy elected. He’s had my vote for SOS for a while.

1. Chris says:

AFAIK, the 7th district doesn’t include Fulton County (and Sandy Springs). I sit it on the district committee, and there is no Fulton Representation on there.

2. BuckheadConservative says:

Doug is the most qualified person we’ve had running for SoS in a long time. His executive experience will serve him better in that office than it would in Congress.

3. Game Fan says:

Oh what to do what to do. Gotta have a big name in every slot. Otherwise, uh, we no have big name?

“Some people have a way with words. While others… No have way”?
    -Steve Martin

• IndyInjun says:

T’would have been fun.

The last time this member of the PP commentariat debated the FairTax really stirred things up and that was before the info/ammo belts were fully charged.

It is a textbook case of how some pols are clueless and others clueless or otherwise do the bidding of oligarchs. Anyone running for governor on it is clearly clueless and begging to be ambushed and hung out to dry.

There are valid perspectives from which to favor the FairTax but governor of a state isn’t one.

Maybe Linder intends to sally forth promoting the FT.

If it had any traction whatsoever, I would do the same, but from the angle of how much money I can make off of it while the public is bearing the pain of it.

My advice to the ‘endangered tax accountants’ is this Every tax accountant in Georgia needs to join FairTax.org , contribute, and help pass the FairTax!

Me, I am for the No Bull cause.

• Mozart says:

I am confused as to the following wording in SB 416:

“This Act shall become effective one calendar year following its approval by the Governor or one calendar year following its becoming law without such approval.”

What is this one calendar year stuff? What are these senators trying to pull here? This makes no sense at all. Why wouldn’t it become effective on July 1 like every other bill?

• Sure does:

“Another name to watch is chairman of the Fulton County Board of Commissioners Karen Handel, who is currently running for the GOP gubernatorial nomination but has raised little money. She lives just outside the district currently, however.”

I’ll laugh the rest of the day.

4. trainsplz says:

I read “o.s.” as “operating system,” rather than “ox sh-t.” Then I was struck by the following equation: Ox O.S. = B.S. Apologies for the pun.

5. GOPGeorgia says:

I think State Rep. Bobby Recce has represented part of the Seventh. I’d hate to lose a candidate in the Ninth, but that’s his call.

• IndyInjun says:

Why not, John?

For the last week it is almost like he got body snatched.

He has actually sounded like US. (Well as least he sounded more like he wants GOPers to actually follow party principles….)

• IndyInjun says:

It never has been personal with me. I had the same problem you did – that GOPers should actually follow principles and when they don’t, they best brace themselves from being blasted by us.

He is after me for being ‘negative’ but I supported Cagle, Broun, Sonny, and Norwood and GOPers every level below. I don’t and won’t support the GOPers who voted the Bush agenda and abandoned principles.

• IndyInjun says:

GOPGa on several threads expressed the need for GOP candidates to follow principles and suggested that doing otherwise is harmful to state and party.

You are right, He has been body snatched.

• GOPGeorgia says:

I suggest that doing otherwise is harmful to the people of our nation. The platform is not perfect, IMHO, but it’s pretty good, and much better as a whole to the other major parties platform. I haven’t taken the time to read the LP platform, but I think I know most of their stances on issues.

I’m still me, as far as I know. My stances really have not changed, but it seems that others are less assuming of what I think and how I feel. And I appreciate it.

• Mozart says:

Entry fee is only about $9000 to qualify for Congress. Stop putting quarters in gumball machines and you’ll have your qualifying fee saved pretty quickly.

• GOPGeorgia says:

I would endorse your running. You have issues you want to promote and another run would be a good way to do it. As far as getting elected, I know of other names being mentioned that I like better than yours. However, it depends on who qualifies. If I liked you better than everyone else who qualifies, I’d have no problems endorsing you.

6. old political pro says:

Saw MacGinnitie at the Gwinnett GOP HQ opening today. maybe there’s something more to this rumor in CQ.

• Icarus says:

My God, the Joel clones have no mercy.

A candidate running statewide goes to the GOP grand opening of HQ for one of the largest counties in the state. While there, the incumbent Congressman announces his retirement.

Consultant and candidate who haven’t wanted opposition to their “annoited now appointed” candidate since day one immediately start rumors that MacGinnitie, who doesn’t live in Linder’s district, is considering a run.

MacGinnitie has run for exactly two offices. Sandy Springs City Council, which he won, and Secretary of State, which he’s doing well.

Give it a rest guys.

• Truthteller says:

Whoever talked Kemp into that Stupid “Keep Obama from my Food” stuff should be sent to Iraq.

But ultimately Kemp is responsible for that embarrassing lack of intellect and decorum.

The Democrats accuse the GOP of using 9-11 for political purposes. And when Kemp did that, Kemp was ground zero for proving them right.

• Mozart says:

“Kemp professed his life long dream 4 years ago was to keep our cereal safe from Osama Bin Ladin.”

Good Lord, that is hilarious, Icarus. Good memory you have. πŸ™‚

And, I’m trying to remember if he professed that while riding on his tractor?

• Posts like this are why we want you to run. I spent most of my day cutting down a tree for you to have a stump to speak on. The rest of the time I spent finding a pair of suspenders, red of course, and a whole mess of catfish to fry.

Wait . . that doesn’t work up there?

7. I will point out something. In 1992, John Linder, a resident of DeKalb County, was elected to the 11th District which included his home in Northern DeKalb. In 1993, Georgia had to tweak it’s congressional districts and Speaker Tom Murphy drew Linder out of his district. The Linders moved and John won re-election. In 1995, the state had to redistrict again (removing the so-called “Sherman District” of Cynthia McKinney). Murphy once again drew Linder out of his district. The Linders did not move. In 1996, Linder was re-elected. From then until 2002, Linder’s Congresswoman was Cynthia McKinney and the 11th did not have a Congressman living within the district. In 2002, the Linders moved into the new 7th District and have lived in it ever since.

I make this point only to say, especially when it comes to metro area districts, residency is less important than good name ID and a strong base of support.

8. DMZDave says:

Don Balfour has serious corporate experience, legislative experiene and a son who is a sergeant in the Army in Afghanistan. He would make a great congressman.

• Mozart says:

You don’t know Gwinnett County. The Republicans out there fall hard for their local heroes…and a hero is anyone who has been elected for years and years.

• IndyInjun says:

Mozart it is bad form to use any capitalization and fail to use quotes when referring to these “republicans”

They are –
          republicans

There are a few real REPUBLICANS but we are locked in my doom train.

ALL ABOARD!

9. Georgia Judge says:

Doug would do well to step outside the echo chamber for a moment and realize he is going to lose this race and damage future opportunities.Im sure he will not and Kemp will win big and so it goes……

• HowardRoark says:

I was hoping you’d make the switch. OPP was starting to wear out his welcome.

For the record, I think MacGinnitie would make a great congressman. Much smarter and principled than most of the other 435 wahoos up there. However, it appears he’s committed to the SoS race, and I salute him for it.

Don’t worry Georgia Judge, if MacGinnitie knocks your boy out of office, he still has a few other constitutional offices to run for.

• Doug Deal says:

Kemp should start law school now, so he will qualify for Attorney General by the 2020 elections, in case he loses a few more.

And since the AG election is actually 2022, he will have a couple extra years to spare.

• old political pro says:

Doug, it’s ok to admit you think Kemp is cute. Now, he’s not into that, so you have no chance whatsoever, but go ahead and let it out. You’ll feel better when you admit you have a weird crush on him.

• drjay says:

how exactly does this hurt “future opportunities” why no less a politician than kemp himself once lost a primary and seems to have done o.k for himself…