Podcast with State Sen. Jeff Chapman, candidate for Governor

In continuing the 2010 Candidate Series, I had the opportunity to speaker with State Sen. Jeff Chapman, a candidate in the Republican primary for Governor, about the issues he sees facing the state now and in the future.

We discussed the typical issues, such as education, spending, the budget and transportation. We also discussed discussed property rights. Chapman gave me a copy of a press release for a constitutional amendment to close the loophole in the constitutional amendment passed in 2006 in the wake of the Kelo decision. For those of you that don’t know, the 2006 constitutional amendment points to general law for the definition of blight.

In the press release Chapman notes that the problem with the 2006 amendment is, “lawmakers can change what blight means at any time by updating Georgia code.” He adds that this “undermines everything the amendment set out to accomplish.”

Chapman knows the issues facing the state and has a different perspective. Unfortunately, he isn’t getting the attention his campaign deserves.

You can download the podcast here (24:55 minutes/23 MB).

Have a statewide or congressional candidate that you would like to get some coverage in a podcast? Drop me a line on Facebook or by e-mail.

1. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

Thanks for posting Jason. One of the few people posting content that means something and not in a campaigning form.

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Thanks Jason. Good post for the most overlooked candidate. Chapman is the closest thing to a nonpartisan hack in the Sate Senate. Those of you who are tired of polarizing politics should take a closer look at him.

Hopefully he can get more statewide recognition in the near future.

• AnyoneElse2010 says:

He has to start really campaigning first. I like Sen. Chapman, but he does nothing to prove that he really wants to be governor. He’s never at events where all the candidates are at. And he attends meetings throughout the state sporadically at best. It’s like he is just doing this in spite of Eric Johnson. He is pulling his base away from him and could be the equivilent to George H.W. Bush’s Ross Perot.

3. old political pro says:

This clown will only get about 50 votes from yankee retirees living off the state’s taxpayers down on jekyll island. this was a waste of Jason’s time and some storage on this server.

• polisavvy says:

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this. I want to hear all of the candidates. I want to hear everything they have to say. I appreciate the fact that you feel the same way. Stick to your guns!

• Doug Deal says:

Jason, your statist roots are showing. No one anywhere has the right to be heard, they have a right to speak.

Of course you have the right to listen to anyone you want. 😉

• GOPGeorgia says:

I’ll agree with that, but I stand by my +1 for Jason for him deciding what is or isn’t a waste of his time.

• GOPGeorgia says:

This Jason Nye?

Jason Nye says:
              August 15, 2008 at 1:37 PM
              I have been an avid sasquatch researcher for about 5 years. I have followed everything Jeff Meldrum has to say about sasquatch. I have seen a sasquatch multiple times through my field investigations and I can tell you that what I saw and what Biscardi’s photos show are nothing alike. Most people who’ve had the privelege of seeing one of these magnificent creatures would agree with me. If I could bet on who would be the first to show a true sasquatch specimen, I would bet on Jeff Meldrum over anyone, especially over Tom Biscardi. Jeff you have my support 100% of the way!
              Sincerely,
              Jason Nye

• GOPGeorgia says:

Libertarian, someone who wants to legalize pot, own their own battleship to be consripted in time of war, and wants 5 neighbors to join together to pave their own road.

• The only part I have an issue with there is the battleship… I have no interest in owning a battleship. Defense of our country I’ll leave to federal government. I’m not an anarchist, I’m a libertarian.

However, the legalization of cannabis will happen eventually. Whether it’s in my lifetime, I don’t know. But it will happen. Where would we be today without that particular plant? I would bet that the ropes on the ships that brought the original settlers over here were made of hemp. The settlers in the original states used hemp rope and other cannabis based products for quite a few things besides smoking. I’d love to be able to purchase bedding for our horses made out of hemp stalk, just like the Queen of England uses in her stables… but alas, I’m having problems finding anyone that currently imports it or is willing to even try due to all the red tape.

As for road paving, yes, I have no problem asking a neighborhood to pave it’s own roads. Major and even minor roads and arteries that serve as connecting roads could either be paid for by fuel taxes or tolls… and I’m open to other suggestions. But why should one neighborhood that is densely populated help pay for the paving of another neighborhood that is sparsely populated?

• lewthecaver says:

Well stated, Jason! Anyone who might refer to themselves as an “old Political Pro” no doubt is no more pro than I am, and as such their opinion counts no more than mine. Thanks GOD!

4. Bucky Plyler says:

Wrong Old Political Clown, (i mean pro)…NE GA., definitely not Yankee, not retired , but tired of the R’ s running more of the same. I represent a larger number than you think.

5. Mae says:

Chapman has a track record of sticking to his guns when he thinks he’s right, no matter whose toes he might step on. The attempted rape of Jekyll Island State Park is one such case. His criticism of the horrid development deal that Sonny’s appointees to the JIA board struck with the Reynolds family was right on target yet cost him support within the leadership of the GOP, for reasons that do not reflect well on those who head up the Republican party. Chapman didn’t back down, though, and eventually the position he mouthed won out. He earned my respect, and that of a lot of other people, by standing up to big money interests out to feed from the government trough.

What I can’t understand is why Chapman’s campaign has languished as it has. If he could find the means to make his principles and record known, he could really shake things up in the gub. race.

• Fred Smulavich says:

This is my problem with the whole process these days. Everyone on this thread really appreciates his service to the state (except some “old political pro”… quite classy my friend), or likes him, but they’re angry that the word isn’t getting out. I still remember when Icarus said “I respect Senator Chapman but I’m not going to run his campaign.”

…If you’re actually impressed by who he is as a legislator and his principled stances, then why aren’t you the ones getting the word out? I mean, just because his campaign has yet to hit the tack you like for whatever reason is no logical basis to not do everything you can to help get the man elected.

6. lewthecaver says:

If for no other reason, the fact that Senator Chapman is willing to vote his conscious and attempt to speak for his constituency, as opposed to cowtowing to the edicts of the entrenched Georgia Repubs, that’s good enough for me. However, given that he is also a man of character who represents issues that I hold dear as well, so much the better! And I am not a retired yankee living on Jekyll. I am an Atlanta native living in North Georgia and someone who is paying attention to what’s going on in the Capital building. The thought of another term with judge Roy Beam, er, Barnes makes me want to move to Indiana, though!

7. Lee Howell says:

Jeff Chapman is the best of this year’s crop of GOP candidates, because of his ethics and standards.

I’d vote for the generic Democrat before I’d vote for Oxendine or Deal, although if it were a choice between one of them and Barnes I’d probably vote Libertarian.

8. Georgia Citizen says:

I find the current level of ethical government in our State Legislature and Executive Office to be shockingly low (consider, for example, the venality exhibited in the Oaky Woods real-estate scandal). Apart from the other reasons to vote for Jeff Chapman for Governor (e.g., his devotion to improvement of education in Georgia), the most important reason is that he would be an honest leader, not a leader like many of those currently in office, seeking to use their offices for self-enrichment. Many thanks to Jason Pye for giving us interview access to Senator Chapman! Let’s vote for Chapman and really deal with our State’s ethics crisis that he clearly recognizes and is not afraid to confront.