The Silliness and Such

Some underage kids were arrested for drinking up in Marietta.

Stop the presses. Seventeen year olds were drinking beer. I thought the beverage of choice for 17 year olds was beer. But everyone seems surprised that some rich kids had a post-party after an adult Christmas party and decided to share the beer.

It happens.

What apparently makes this newsworthy is that one of the kids was a state legislator’s son. Color me surprised. And color me even more surprised that the dad tried to help his kid. And color me most surprised that the dad’s political opponents are now trying to use the kid’s beer drinking to attack the dad.

This happens. It happens every day. And it says a lot more about the opponents than it does the father and son. So I remember this one time when I was on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. I was seventeen. Good times.

1. ByteMe says:

Anyone care to bet that the legislator in question has an (R) after his name? Anyone? Anyone??

Sucker bet. Had it been a black (D), Pete would have posted this and ripped the legislator to shreds for trying to abuse his office to help his family.

2. Tyler says:

Kids are going to make “mistakes” from time-to-time. I don’t believe the parent has the ability to control every choice in a kid’s life. Someone is bound to say that this “failure in his parenting abilities” is a direct reflection on his abilities as a legislator.

As Erick said, this stuff happens every day. Now can people please stop dropping us news stories about this 24/7?

3. polisavvy says:

Erick, I believe that a bunch of us are guilty or have been guilty of the same thing — underage drinking. A good many of us have experienced it with our own children doing the same — myself included. My children turned out just fine. This happens all the time and is not foreign to either children of Democrats or Republicans. It is what it is and kids are going to try it (sometimes even when younger than 17 (like 14). And yes, Byte, it was Republican.

• Jeff says:

I know I’m the weird one here, but I can honestly say I never had a drop of alcohol until the day I turned 21, and I’ve never used an illegal drug – or even known where to get one. (Yeah, yeah, say what you will there about my popularity in HS.)

Point being: Not EVERYONE does it.

That said, I’m coming more and more to pushing for the legal age to go back to 18. If they’re old enough to sign up for war, they’re old enough to get wasted the night before they deploy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• polisavvy says:

Good post. I had friends in high school who didn’t drink, and I didn’t think any less of them because of it — it was their choice. Having said that, I agree with you that law should definitely be re-visited; however, no one running for any positions are going to stick their necks out on this one because of the fallout that could come their way. This is an issue that will hopefully be discussed during a non-election cycle, and it needs to be discussed.

4. ByteMe says:

If you read the article carefully, it appears that Wiles was NOT trying to help his son, he was there at the request of a very drunk attorney/traffic court judge/idiot who works with him. Wiles’ son was not drinking, but was there. The traffic court judge needs to resign her position and go back to being a lawyer full time. The attack on Wiles is distraction.

• polisavvy says:

I understand that she was drunk and that drunks don’t think clearly. I was just meaning why did she put herself in that type of position and now under this type of scrutiny? That’s all.

• Republican Lady says:

Yea but even in her drunken state, she was showing the teens how to get out of trouble and that consequences aren’t to be bothered with if one thinks the law is stupid.

• polisavvy says:

I am in total agreement with you on this. Of course, you and I are probably in the minority. To me it’s kind of sad that you can join a branch of service at 18, and be expected to lay your life on the line; but, you can’t go and have a beer until you’re 21.

• tocallaghan says:

I got registered for selective service yesterday, but can’t have a beer or carry a concealed weapon in my home country. It is ridiculous.

• polisavvy says:

I agree, it is ridiculous. Back in the day, you could legally drink in Georgia at 18. There were hardly ever any cases of DUI-related accidents that involved teenagers. We also drank before 18 and there again, DUI-related accidents were few and far between. We drank at our parents’ homes and were supervised, and no keys were given out. I have always felt, and will always feel, that if you are old enough to fight for your country, you should at least be allowed to belly-up at a bar.

5. drjay says:

the article seems to imply that the politician was trying to effect the outcome of the “bust” but not necesarrily using his position to do so–but yeah, the judge seems like the bigger “problem” here it was poor poor judgement to apparently give the leftover beer to the teenagers, setting aside my beliefs about the drinking age, the rules are the rules and i would expect her resignation to be the main fallout here…

6. tocallaghan says:

“Four teenagers older than 17… were cited for “minor in possession of alcohol.””

I love how we 18 year olds can get charged with a minor in possession, but then we get booked in jail with all you adults. These kids did nothing wrong. Teen drinking isn’t immoral or unethical.

7. Buzzfan says:

The Great State of Georgia was so opposed to the idea of me being able to legally drink they raised the drinking age right after I turned 18. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And Doug, we do not need SUNDAY SALES NOW.

We just need them on Sunday! :-รž

• Agreed. Today being Wednesday, it might take a little while to find a calendar or place where today is Sunday to purchase alcohol. Perhaps our legislators should make it a law that Sunday Alcohol Sales should only apply to Sundays? Or have they already?

• Buzzfan says:

David, when The Honorable Sonny followed up his 2008 “time management” coments with the 2009 segquel of “We just need a day off”, I immediately reasoned (to anyone willing to listen), “Well, why does the day off need to be Sunday?

If you’re going to restrict the sale of an otherwise-legal product carried (in the case of beer and wine) by virtually all major supermarkets to six days a week because “we need a day off”, shouldn’t logistics and common sense dictate that it should be the slowest food/sundries shopping day of the retail week…….Tuesday? Since it’s already the slowest shopping day, any inconvenience would be minimized.

We could call it “Blue Tuesday” (with apologies to Ruby Tuesday….who changes with every new day, anyway.)

8. Republican Lady says:

While underage drinking is illegal and the kids need to accept responsibility, the bigger issue and crime here is Attorney/Judge Busch. She and the underage kids are the ones at fault, not the senator or his son. The judge needs to carry the majority of the blame. The fact she would threaten to call the responding officers’ supervisors agency heads speaks volumes because it shows she believes there are two sets of laws, one for those living in million dollar homes and are attorneys and judges, and the other set for the average citizen. Where have we seen this attitude before? Oxendine and Sharon Barnes Sutton!

In some jurisdictions, the traffic court judge hears underage citation cases and passes judgement, which can affect college scholarships, yet she warned one of the officers that a citation could affect the scholarship of one of the kids in her home. Double standard? Perhaps we should see if she has heard these types of cases in the past and what decisions she has made in this area.

I hope she loses the judgeship position, Cobb citizens should demand it, and faces the penality in court for providing alcohol to underage kids. Maybe the bar association could file ethics charges against her for her hypocrisy and judgement lapses.

• polisavvy says:

Exactly. You can legally have sex and possibly bring a child into the world at 16 (or earlier); but, you can’t have legally have a beer until that child is 5 or older. I think the law should be re-evaluated. I have said on PP before that a lot of the alcohol-related deaths of college students would probably lower if they were allowed to drink at 18. That way the thrill would be gone and their curiosity would be lessened. Our children knew their limitations before college began — it did relive a lot of anxiety for us. The way it is now, so many kids head off the college unaware of what is too much to consume and the ramifications thereof. I not advocating that kids should become flaming alcoholics, I’m just saying that the law should be revisited.

9. Republican Lady says:

I agree the law should be change, I was looking for tocallaghan reasoning skills.

What really needs to change is attitudes about drinking. We need to teach responsible drinking. In most of the European countries, the drinking age for beer and wine is 16 with ID and 17/18 for a driving license.

If Americans learned that beer and wine with food is responsible behavior rather than drinking until unconsciousness sets in, we would have less destructive type behavior, alcoholism, and other problems.

Some cardiologists recommend a glass of red wine to cut heart attack risks but it one or two glasses, not one or two bottles. Again, education is the key.

• polisavvy says:

Education about alcohol is definitely the key. I think that the parents, and not just schools, should play an important role in this one. We know that not all parents are going to be involved in this because they aren’t all involved in their kids to begin with, and that’s where the schools should come into play. I am sure that you have run across more than your fair share of 18 year old kids who are extremely mature and responsible; likewise, I am sure that you have run across many 21+ year old adults who lack both. It’s all about responsible behavior and understanding the consequences for improper behavior.

10. Buzzfan says:

Sadly, none of the valid points you raise mattered to our GA back in ’80/’81 who were only interested in keeping Federal highway funds and getting MADD off their backs.

11. And because I can’t resist AND it’s appropriate,

Tim Wilson’s It’s a Sorry World

You can go to war when you’re 18
    But you can’t buy a beer
    You can load missiles on a submarine
    But you can’t buy a pistol here
    You can breathe chemical weapon skims
    But they don’t want you to smoke
    so when you’re shootin’ up a bar in Baghdad, don’t order a rum and coke

You can have sex when you’re 17
    You just can’t have a cigarette
    You ain’t old enough for a slot machine
    Or to lay down a football bet
    But they’ll take you to the clinic if you’re 15
    And your folks don’t have to know
    Or you can take penicillin, just don’t watch people
    Gettin’ naked on video

You can be a governor at 21
    Or a president at 35
    You can be the senator from south Carolina
    If you can just stay alive
    They’ll throw you in with sharks when you’re 12 years old
    Find More lyrics at
    Teach you to scuba dive
    But when you’re 94 and can’t see anymore
    they’ll still let you drive

Just don’t get caught ith no beer in your hand if you just turned 18
    They don’t mind you ownin’ *an acetylene* torch
    and a gallon of gasoline
    You just can’t buy smokes at the liquor store or y’all will both go to jail
    But they’ll sell you a rope
    so you can hang yourself while you’re listening to Nine Inch Nails

It’s a sorry World
    It’s a sooorry world

It’s a sorry world when you can raise youngans but you can’t smoke a Marlborough
    It’s a sorry world when you’re 17 and you can’t call a callgirl.

12. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

how much lower can the liberal media get. Next thing you know they’ll be attacking a State Rep-elect for sleeping with his then-Mother-in-Law. I mean, as Erick says, these things happen.

13. Donna Locke says:

Do you ever get the feeling you’re at the mercy of people who make laws and dictate policies that apply to everyone but themselves? Do you ever get the feeling you’re one of the poor suckers living with the consequences of policies that the dictators have insulated themselves from, like, say, the public school system?

Do you ever get the feeling your life is being run by a high-class bubba machine?