MARTA Repents Of It’s Racists Ways, Armageddon Averted

The “yellow” line is henceforth to be known as the “gold” line.

“The expressed concerns regarding the use of the phrase ‘yellow line’ will be addressed in the most expeditious and cost-effective manner possible,” MARTA officials said in the statement.

The move to change the name to “gold” coincides with the demands of some advocates in the Asian community.

“Our thought is, why don’t you change it to gold? It’s really more of a ‘why not?’ question. Why not change it?” said Helen Kim, director of advocacy and education at the nonprofit Pan Asian Center for Community Services.

Naming it the “yellow line” was part of MARTA’s color-coding the entire transit systems by using primary colors.

“There was absolutely no intent to confer any negative connotation through the use of any of the colors chosen,” the statement released Thursday said.

1. Progressive Dem says:

Isn’t the united front presented today by the Governor, Lt. Guv and the Speaker on TSPLOST a more important transportation topic, or did you just want to throw a little more red meat.

• Dave Bearse says:

Perhaps if it were yet the three Stooges, but alas, but Moe’s replacement by Ralston may have ended the act.

2. macho says:

Congratulations to the Georgia Asian American Association for teaching multi-generations of Georgians a long forgotten racial slur. Maybe next week the Georgia Irish American association can teach all the insensitive word “Mick.”

3. Dave says:

Will anyone ever have the gonads to tell one of these groups “no?” Explain to them that the coloring was, in fact, the use of primary colors, thank them for their concern and tell them the meeting is over.

4. Dave says:

And just as icing on the politically correct cake, the MARTA folks could have said that they have always enjoyed the stellar acting of Hop Sing on Bonanza, Chin Ho on Hawaii Five -O, Arnold on Happy Days and, of course, Bruce Lee, on the Green Hornet! That would have gone over well! LOL!

5. Chris says:

As a middle-class Gwinnettian, I find the term gold line to be offensive. Dating back to the 19th Century “gold” has been a derogatory term for were the wealthily live. For example, Long Island’s Gold Coast.

I demand they change this name!

6. Ramblinwreck says:

I think they should scrap the whole primary colors thing and go with earth tones names instead. But, there would probably be some voting bloc out there who would be offended even by that.

7. ACConservative says:

Maybe they should let the folks at Crayola do the naming. Who wouldn’t want to take a ride on the Atomic Tangerine line? How about Purple Pizzaz?

• ByteMe says:

I think they should have sold the line colors to the farmers associations and have the Peach line and the Peanut or Pecan (Log) line.

• B Balz says:

Actually, Byte, you are onto something here. Why such mundane names?

The Peach Line is neat,
        The Falcon Line,

Etc.

• polisavvy says:

I kind of like your idea of using words relative Georgia or sports teams; but, we do have the Braves so that could open up a whole new can of worms, right?

• Buzzfan says:

Since MARTA’s always looking for more budget moolah, why not sell sponsorships to GA corporations?

Although I admit “Line of Coke” might not go over very well.

• polisavvy says:

Buzzfan, that’s really a pretty good idea, actually. One that could work. As for the line of Coke, well, I agree and don’t think it will fly. Nothing involving Coke and line would. 🙂

• I’d be all for the corporate sponsorship deal. So long as that company agrees not to change their name or cancel their sponsorship after the first year… you certainly don’t want the names changing on a regular basis…

8. I find the name change to be racist. Gold has typically been equated as being a superior and high quality material coveted by the very rich.

To me this implies only the citizens of Doraville can make money, and that they are superior to other citizens of metro-Atlanta. This needs to be corrected immediately, before someone starts talking about Nazis.

9. Buzzfan says:

Having a Mom whose parents were both immigrants from just West of the Carpathians, I was always offended by the “No Checks” line at Piggly-Wiggly.

• ByteMe says:

Nabisco stopped making Oreo’s here something like 15 years back. Crackers they still make. And lots of Chips Ahoy.

And for those who don’t know, Oakland City station is right across from the Atlanta Nabisco bakery.

10. macho says:

Looks like the MARTA color naming controversy isn’t over. Michael Chin, President of the Gwinnett Chinese American Business Association had this to say in Greater Gwinnett Asian Magazine:

“I’m extremely disappointed by MARTA’s decision to name a line, that leads to a heavily Chinese-American area, the “Gold Line.” Our ancestors were victimized during the California Gold Rush. Most Chinese gold claims were stolen, while the government turned a racist eye. Left with nothing, our immigrant ancestors were forced to work for white males. The starving Chinese were essentially slaves as they were forced to build San Francisco. It’s one of the lowest points in our country’s history.

I implore MARTA to change the name away from “Gold” or thousands of local Chinese-Americans will be unable to ride MARTA without feeling greatly depressed.”

Later in the article he had this to say, “Perhaps MARTA can turn their insensitive line name into a positive. Many of us have been fighting to have our ancestors’ California gold claims restored. MARTA, with all their resources and advertising, could easily bring this issue to the forefront of our national dialog”

• polisavvy says:

Holy goodness! Just name the damn lines after things like peaches, peanuts, pecans, pine trees, or magnolias; or products/businesses/sports like Coke or The Varsity, Falcons, Hawks, Braves (could spawn controversy), Thrashers (or even other birds). Anything but colors. There is absolutely no satisfying some people. This is getting totally ridiculous!!

• Kellie says:

Without colors they would be accused of being insensitive to the illiterate. :-0
        No matter what they call the line, the different lines will have to be marked by different colors on maps so people can tell them apart.
        You just can’t win in this situation.

• polisavvy says:

Well, then for goodness sake, change over to pastels. That way you shouldn’t offend anyone. I have never referred of anyone as being called mint, mauve, aqua, or daffodil, have you (and please tell me you haven’t or else I feel another Springsteen song may come into play). 🙂

• Kellie,

Being colorblind, I’m offended that colors are used at all! What’s wrong with the: square, circular, oblong, rectangular, triangular and pentagonal routes?

(And yeah I do see some colors but we won’t mention that because ot weakens my argument)

• polisavvy says:

True about men and mauve. How about just plain ‘ole pink? There could be a problem with colors like Ken said — my son is color blind as well.

• polisavvy says:

Ken, could you imagine the confusion of using shapes (though I think it’s a pretty good idea)? I still think anything but colors is the way MARTA should go. MARTA is never going to please everyone regardless of what they do — shapes, colors, sponsors. You name it and I’m sure that there will be someone offended. People are so damned fractious these days! It’s a can’t win, no win situation for MARTA.

• Kellie says:

I am sorry but shapes won’t work for me. I don’t know what a pentagon is. 😉
            Maybe Marta should name the routes by the direction they are heading – north, south, east, west…
            Wait, that won’t work for the directionally challenged. 😉

• Hi polisavvy,

I’m really colorblind, but I was just being facetious about using shapes, attempting to point out the very thing you wrote.

We (as a group not necessarily you and me) are so easily offended. And if someone wants to be offended, I can pretty much guarantee that they will be.

In a better world, we could name the lines after heroes associated with Atlanta or this state, but one man’s (yep, male gender usage) hero is often another man’s villain.

• Kellie,

Thanks to an ex-wife and quite a few former girlfriends, I am acquainted with a wide variety of faux colors and their actual meaning:

White = White, Off-White, Bone, Ivory, Natural, Pearl
            Pink = Pink, Mauve, Rose, Hot Pink
            Tan = Tan, Dark Taupe, Light Taupe, Canvas, Khaki

🙂

• polisavvy says:

Ken, I’m very impressed. I asked my husband what color mauve was and he said, “beats the hell out of me.” As far as the heroes thing goes, you’re right — not all would agree. I just wish that people would quit with the “wearing of their feelings on their shoulders” attitude. It’s getting old and wearing thin. What’s that old express — “you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.” At some point people just have to deal with it and move on. There are days I’m really sick and tired of all this PC garbage.

• B Balz says:

We in the mathematically challenged community (mcc) vehemently oppose using geometric shapes to identify transit routes. We oppose calling them lines as that is offensive to our debilitation, as well.

Often mcc challenged people are asked to do math in public, usually sitting around friends and loved ones trying to calculate the proper gratuity in a public eatery. This riduclue is grossly insensitive and must stop.

Rep. Teilhet, please make law, Sir!

• Kellie says:

BB
            Those receiving tips from the mathematically challenged are being underpaid so we will also need a Tax Credit to cover this unfortunate lost in wages.

11. GOPGeorgia says:

Why not name the lines after roads? there could be the peachtree line, the west peach tree line, the NE peachtree line, the tree of peaches line,…..

12. benevolus says:

The pathetic thing is, some of y’all are the very ones who would endlessly be making snide jokes about the Yellow Line running into Chamblee, thereby perpetuating the stereotype and the insult. I’m glad they changed it. Anything that provides less ammo for the rednecks is a good thing.