Social Conservatives in Georgia Go Off the Rails

February 8, 2010 11:02 am

by Erick · 65 comments

You all know where I stand on the ideological spectrum both socially and fiscally. So let me talk to my own kind for just a minute.

Dear social conservative/Christian groups opposed to Renee Untermann: are you out of your ever living mind? The sheer dumbassery by which you guys are attacking Renee Unterman’s legislation suggests you have ceded your right to comment on any social issue due to total ignorance of the real world beyond your gated communities and country clubs.

Are you freaking serious?

Kyle Wingfield is on the money on this one.

Do you guys even practice what you preach anymore?

Let me tell you, I’m on a city council in Georgia where I see the effects of sex slavery first hand in a burgeoning “asian spa” industry. And there are kids being kidnapped against their will and forced to work in these places. And they have the crap scared out of them. They are told that they will be arrested and thrown in jail if they say anything. So they don’t. They don’t seek help. They don’t escape.

Why?

Because in fact they will be arrested. And you guys want to keep it that way.

So you don’t think 14 year olds should be having sex. You say they can’t consent. If someone has sex with a 14 year old, you want that person arrested. But if a 14 year old is forced into sex slavery and prostitutes themselves, all of a sudden you think they can consent and should be arrested?

Your opposition disgust me on this. Shame on you. Shame on you.

We must part ways on this issue. And I hope the Georgia Legislature will pass Senator Untermann’s legislation. I am opposed to prostitution on legal and moral grounds. It should remain illegal. But the propensity of the evidence shows that minors engaged in prostitution are more often than not victims themselves and not willfully engaged in prostitution.

We must eradicate human trafficking — a significant growth industry in Georgia. This legislation will help both to discourage trafficking and rescue children trafficked. It needs to be adopted and signed into law.

John Konop February 8, 2010 at 11:27 am

Erick,

I agree with you and that took guts!

Harry February 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I agree too, but why does taking such a position take guts? I can’t imagine that there is any meaningful opposition to the legislation.

John Konop February 8, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I do think if a kid does get picked up, we must have a support system. The pimps will force the kids into drug addiction to control them. And if we do not have a support system and just throw them out on the streets, than many out of a survival will be forced back into the degrading life style.

Mozart February 8, 2010 at 7:23 pm

In the original version of this bill, I saw no language that directs anyone to a “aupport system” for the underaged prostitutes. If there is no language in the latest version, where does such a support system come from? Do people imagine that governments will build such a system all by themselves?

John Konop February 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Mozart,

If that is the case you would think the social conservative/Christian groups against this bill would be focused on raising money and volunteers to help the kids rather than throw them in jail! What would Jesus do?

Mozart February 8, 2010 at 10:36 pm

It is the case, John. But, if all the police do is arrest the pimp, and leave the underaged prostitutes without any notation that they are underaged prostitutes, the prostitutes will continue being prostitutes.

You see, unless a law is made that directs someone to a) “capture” on a temporary basis the underaged prostitutes, b) “hold them” somewhere, c) and then direct them to some sort of “home” where they can live and get rehabilitated…there won’t be any allowance of the Christians or whoever to “focus on raising money and volunteers to help the kids.”

John Konop February 9, 2010 at 6:34 am

Mozart,

I would think in that situation the police would call Family and Children Services. But I agree we must have something for the victims. Yet that is not the argument why social conservative/Christian groups opposed this bill.

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 9:49 am

Mr. Konop,

I don’t think “all” of the teenage prostitutes are prostitutes because of the child trafficking issue, though that is likely a high percentage of it. Some young people who live in a great home with a mommy and a daddy are “tricking” because it earns them good money.

I suspect the reason why the social conservative groups are against the bill is because, for some ages of people, it does “legalize” prostitution.

Buzz Brockway February 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Harry,

Sadly, many religious right organizations in Georgia are against Unterman’s bill.

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Erick makes a political statement (something he does every single day), and that takes “guts.” Men and women sacrifice their lives every day in the military, and that takes “guts.”

Kinda devalues the definition of what does and does not take “guts.”

lukethedrifter February 8, 2010 at 11:42 am

Thanks to you Erick and Kyle for your defense, and to Sen. Unterman for your bravery in standing by this legislation and protecting these young women. Until I had children, I would glaze over topics such as this, because ignorance is bliss. Even now, it is hard for me to watch, read, or listen to news accounts of crimes against children, as I can only think about the fate of my own. It is absurd for Christian organizations to oppose this bill. I pray that they will be convicted, as more of us come to Sen. Unterman’s defense and refuse to let them represent our opinion.

While I don’t advocate the decriminalization for those over 16, I believe most young women find themselves in this lifestyle because of extremely difficult circumstances that most of us could not understand. It is my firm belief that Christ would pick these women up, rehabilitate them, forgive them of their sins and shower them with grace and love, not chastisement and certainly not imprisonment.

polisavvy February 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Well said! I, like you, don’t understand how any Christians anywhere could oppose this bill. These are children who are victimized. Senator Unterman has my absolute support on this. Glad that Erick and Kyle took a stand.

I try to refrain from religious quotes; however, I guess these upset Christians have forgotten all about Matthew 18:1-6, 10-14: “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven. What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds it, truly, I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.”

These are “little” children are victims who have been victimized in a horrible matter. They aren’t willing participants. They need help. They need to be saved from this type of abuse. No one is trying to legalize prostitution. It’s strictly proposed to HELP these poor innocent victims. If they care, as good Christians should, about helping these children, then perhaps their energies could best be spent trying to mentor them.

Mozart February 8, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Where in Unterman’s bill does it say anything about helping these underaged prostitutes by directing them to a help center? Who is going to counsel them? How do you track them if you do not arrest them?

Do you actually think that not arresting them when you arrest the pimps means they will find their way out of the situation they are in?

Intentions of legislators are always “good”…but the Road to Hades is always paved with them not thinking just how something will be accomplished. Again, why doesn’t the language of the bill include Unterman’s “intentions” of what she expects to happen to these underaged prostitutes when discovered by law enforcement?

Nathan February 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Agreed. This bill will not decriminalize or make prostitution legal. How does arresting kids who are being abused and forced into sex slavery help them? I would think that rescuing these kids rather than arresting them would go much farther in rehabilitating them so they can, hopefully, lead a somewhat normal life.

If this bill doesn’t pass, what will the church do to help rescue these kids? What will be the alternative?

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 4:29 pm

If you don’t arrest them, how can you help them? If you leave them on the street, how can you help them?

Joshua Morris February 9, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Does DFCS arrest every child they help?

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 7:09 pm

You are presuming DFACS helps children…

ByteMe February 9, 2010 at 7:46 pm

You are presuming the detention system helps children.

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I am presuming the detention system identifies a kid as being a teenage prostitute, assigns them some sort of tracking number, and keeps these records.

Byte…all I want the legislation to do is to DO what Senator Unterman is claiming will happen if she changes the law. Without having the support center codified in the law, she is, essentially, “de-criminalizing” teenage prostitution. You have to look at what the legislation actually says, not what the “intents” of Senator Unterman are.

Because, if you recall, in the Genarlow Wilson case, Matt Towery came barreling-out with what his “intent” of the law they passed back in the late 1990s was, and the DA in Douglas County didn’t quite get that intended “intent” when he arrested and charged Wilson, did he?

“Intents” that are not codified are useless.

Joshua Morris February 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm

My point, Moz, is that arresting a child is not necessary to bring him/her to the attention of authorities.

Mozart February 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Jos, what you say may be correct, but unless you know for sure what the procedure is or what the procedure will be, unless it is codified in this bill, it will not matter.

ChuckEaton February 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I thought having sex with a minor in GA was statutory rape. It’s a strict liablity crime; there is no trying to get into the heads of the “participants” and figuring out their motivations or whether one party thought the other was of age. A 12 year old girl can’t voluntarily consent to having sex with an older man. Either you had sex with a minor or you didn’t, the crime is clear-cut. Little girls and boys don’t have the mental capacity to make the decision, whether they are getting paid or not.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t understand the argument that Unterman’s bill decriminalizes child prostitution. It’s still very criminal for a man to sexually prey on a little girl. Unless, of course, you feel a child should be prosecuted for getting raped.

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Chuck,

What about:

13 year old girls?
14-year old girls?
15-year old girls?
16-year old girls?
17-year old girls?

Are all of these ages covered by your premise that only until they hit the physical age of “18″, all of these girls are unable to make a decision to consent to sex?

ChuckEaton February 10, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I freely admit, the age of a minor, and their ability to consent, is up for debate. Maybe it should be 14 or maybe it should be 16. The actual age is clearly a legislative function, and our Legislature has determined that age to be 15 and under. O.C.G.A. § 16-6-3.

But, that’s not really the point. The point is, if you believe in the concept of statutory rape, and the implied need for an age limit, then it seems contradictory to say that a young, teenage girl cannot have consensual sex with a boyfriend, but can have sex under the guardianship of a pimp.

I believe in the concept of statutory rape, and the “under the age” of 16 law seems very reasonable to me. I suppose if I were king for a day, I might consider some sort of Romeo and Juliet law – I’d have to think that one through.

griftdrift February 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm

They do. They specifically said in their presser last week that taking away jail as a deterrent is a mistake.

Probably because they couldn’t propose stoning as an option.

polisavvy February 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Well said, especially the stoning part. I don’t get it and I guess I never will. They should be ashamed of themselves.

ByteMe February 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm

That implies a few facts not in evidence.

Like a working conscience.

polisavvy February 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Exactly! Where is their conscience? How can they perceive this bill proposed by Unterman as anything but a mechanism to help the victims, the children? Doesn’t sound like a true Christian to me. Sorry if that offends some on here. No offense is meant.

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Try READING the bill, Polisavvy, rather than acting on emotions and you might understand the opposition’s position.

polisavvy February 9, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Sorry Mozart, but I have read the bill. I guess you and I interpret it two different ways. I am not acting on emotions and would appreciate your not insinuating that I am. You and I will just continue to agree to disagree, okay? I don’t mean that in a mean or nasty way, either. You’ve got your opinion and I have mine. Friends?

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Polisavvy,

The evidence of emotion is apparent throughout your posts when you use statements like:

“They should be ashamed of themselves.”
“Where is their conscience?”
“Doesn’t sound like a true Christian to me.”

These are all statements coming from the emotional side of your brain.

polisavvy February 9, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Thank you so very much for the free psychological evaluation. I don’t know why I thought that all facets of my brain worked simultaneously. Is it just me or are you on the warpath with everyone else today? Just curious. I use a lot of descriptive words (very verbose) and I am terribly sorry if it offends you. Let’s leave it at that, okay?

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 4:57 pm

On this subject, Poli, I guess I’m “on the warpath.” But, I’ll leave you be to your brow furrowing.

polisavvy February 9, 2010 at 5:17 pm

You and I may disagree, but for some reason, you usually make me laugh with your witty comebacks. For the laughter, I thank you (sincerely).

Mozart February 8, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Ignorance is bliss on this thread I see.

Ken in Eastman February 9, 2010 at 12:13 am

When ignorance is bliss, ’tis a folly to be wise.

polisavvy February 9, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I sincerely trust that you are not trying to imply that I am also ignorant, as well as emotional! :)

Joshua Morris February 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Erick, I believe that many on both sides of every issue have not analytically thought through the core principles affecting that particular issue, but rather have formed an opinion based on an initial emotional response. I believe this to be the case with many so-called conservatives regarding this bill. Their knee jerk reaction is to condemn what they see as a relaxation of the moral code rather than to understand the intent of the bill and to then judge whether the application of it can work.

It’s very sad to me that many take their views of Christian conservatives from misguided people like these who run political groups having Christian monikers. Many Christians just follow right along what a particular group says without thinking through an issue for themselves.

Please keep the pressure on regarding this bill. I’d like to know how the Christian Coalition, Georgia Conservatives in Action, etc., believe those (minor or not) who are forced into prostitution should be rescued and helped.

I Am Jacks Post February 8, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Erick is correct, those who are objecting to the legislation are making fools of themselves.

But let’s slow down with the glorification of Renee Unterman. It was just three years ago that Renee was fighting for legislation to force all 12 year old girls to get vaccinated for HPV (before being allowed promotion to the 6th grade. She would’ve required 3 different vaccinations for STDs.

So, in this case Renee is right on. But she’s been very wrong before.

Erick February 8, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I don’t want to glorify Untermann and fought her on that issue. But she’s right on this one.

I Am Jacks Post February 8, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn’t referring to you, Erick.

Truthteller February 8, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Jeremy Brand, wipe your nose.

You are sniveling again.

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Who?

Republican Lady February 8, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Some feel the HPV vaccination is telling girls that it is okay to have sex but that is not the intent. The intent is to prevent cervical cancer.

Looking at the statistics regarding the age groups that pedophiles target, and that many pedophiles carry sexual diseases, I am for this vaccination on behalf of these victims. While I know parents don’t want to think their kids will be sexually abused or raped, look at who is arrested according to stories on the news media. They fall into the “trusted adults” group like coaches, teachers and other school officials, religious leaders (Baptist and Catholic), driver’s ed educators, driver’s ed over-the-road examiners, school bus drivers, and youth organization leaders.

While I hope that no child is sexually abused, one cannot guarantee that it will not happen. Having had uterine cancer in my early twenties and ovarian cancer in my early fifties, the treatments are no picnic, and if that vaccine can prevent the disease, I am all for it regardless of the age of the person receiving the vaccine.

Ken in Eastman February 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

The only place I disagree with Erick is that “dumbassery” probably isn’t a word, though in this case it should be.

I wouldn’t mind the opposition to the bill if the facts were brought forth and a better substitute bill were offered. This has been an ongoing problem that needs a solution and to my knowledge the people complaining have done nothing about it.

My other gripe is that often their opposition is dishonest. This is a case of activists telling people they want to “stop a bill that would legalize underage prostitution” which is not true. Pimps and johns could still be arrested and prosecuted.

AthensRepublican February 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Not my stand on this issue as I agree with most of the comments above. I did receive a newsletter from Georgia Insight (not copyrighted) so I thought it would be okay to post:

S.B. 304 & H.B. 582 Under Fire from Conservatives
Bills Decriminalizing “Kiddie” Prostitution Would Turn Morality Upside Down
The author promised to have a new version of S.B. 304 available February 8th. Hopefully, the new bill will not include the decriminalization of juvenile prostitution. If it does, the opposition will proceed. The following facts explain the persistent opposition to her original version.

S.B. 3041 decriminalizing juvenile prostitution would drastically affect the law as follows:

§ Minors under age 16 could not be charged with the offense of prostitution even when caught soliciting or committing the act. They could engage in and practice the full spectrum of sex acts, including but not limited to sexual intercourse or sodomy, and receive payment for it.

§ Minors under age 16 could not be charged with the offense of masturbation, whether as a masseur, masseuse or “sex worker.” They could commit the offense of masturbation for hire (exclusive of sexual intercourse) and receive payment in money or other items.

During a press conference at the State Capitol, February 1, 2010 conservatives announced their opposition to a proposed legal change they never dreamed could occur in Georgia – the decriminalization of “kiddie prostitution2.” If S.B. 304 passes, juvenile prostitution would not be a crime in Georgia and law enforcement officers would have no jurisdiction over it.

Conservative Leaders Oppose Decriminalizing Juvenile Prostitution

Calling All Moms, Leader Pat Tippett
“We cannot repeal the prostitution law for children, because that law acts as a very real barrier that protects children from sexual predators that would, otherwise, feel free to lure them into prostitution. Removing this law is like taking down a guardrail that keeps cars from going over a cliff. Once the guardrail is gone, runaway cars will be over the cliff before their drivers know they’re headed for trouble they can’t get out of. Why would we want to stop warning children about the affects of prostitution, after we’ve spent our whole lives telling boys and girls to stay out of the street, because there’s danger on every corner? We met with Sen. Unterman today and look forward to working with her on new legislation that does not include the decriminalization of prostitution for any age.”

Eagle Forum of Georgia, President Nancy Schaefer
“Atlanta already has sex trafficking and child pornography problems. If we decriminalize juvenile prostitution, every pimp, pedophile and panderer will be in Georgia. In recent months in a speech, I spoke of a 14-year-old girl who had a prostitution ring and she was the madam. Should she not be charged? What about the girls she brought into the brothel? Should they not be disciplined? Have we forgotten that correction oftentimes turns a life around?
“Now, both of these bills, H.B. 582 and S.B. 304, are bad bills. Who would benefit from their passage? Children would not. Actually child prostitution would increase. Georgia would not benefit because to decriminalize juvenile prostitution would be an embarrassment to the state.”
1 H.B. 582 sets the minimum age for prostitution at 18. Prostitutes under 18 would not be charged.
2 A phrase coined by Jerry McQuire, Christian Coalition of Georgia.

February 5, 2010
Eagle Forum of Georgia & Georgia Insight, Capitol Correspondent Sue Ella Deadwyler

“Decriminalizing juvenile prostitution would be unimaginably bad. It would indicate cultural acceptance of a dangerous, destructive, unhealthy and immoral lifestyle. It would require law enforcement to turn a blind eye to children involved in prostitution. Children could not be arrested, charged, detained or picked up or taken home or to a safe house or rehabilitation center. Law enforcement would have no power to take them into protective custody and there would be no way to prevent permanent physical and emotional damage to the minors involved.
“S.B. 304 removes a strong legal barrier that deters minors, as well as adults, from engaging in prostitution, simply, because they don’t want to go to jail or have a police record. It would increase their vulnerability to alternate lifestyles, including homosexuality. It would multiply the number of juvenile prostitutes just as providing birth control to children increased sexual activity. Result: teen pregnancy is common, almost half of all births are to unwed girls, unwed couples cohabit, STDs are off the chart and colleges and universities have coed dorms. Rehabilitation is available now, but boy prostitutes should be among those rehabilitated.”

Eagle Forum of Georgia, Past President Anne Perry
“S.B. 304 discriminates on the basis of sex. The question is this. If an activity is not illegal for a young girl, why is it illegal for an older woman? We don’t need legislation to increase the age under which it becomes legal, because judges have power to interpret and apply current law.
“Law is a fabric. Tear part of it out and the rest unravels. If teenage prostitution does not equal a crime, why is any prostitution a crime? If the prostitute is not committing a crime, the ‘pimp’ and the ‘john’ aren’t either. The concept of statutory rape becomes an absurdity. Decriminalizing juvenile prostitution removes the last stigma for sexual promiscuity. The world wide legalization of prostitution is a goal of the National Organization of Women (NOW) for the radical restructuring of society – one step at a time.”

Georgia Christian Alliance, State Chairman Sadie Fields, Presented by Judy Craft “We know that the authors of these bills are well intentioned, but we believe the way this legislation is written would do more harm than good. We have an honest disagreement with this approach. Young, vulnerable and being afraid of getting arrested may be the only way these young girls can get off the street and away from their pimps. “Decriminalizing or legalizing prostitution is not the answer. In effect, it would normalize practices that have always been immoral. While we disagree with the content and approach of the bills, we applaud Sen. Unterman and Rep. Willard for bringing this emotional issue to the attention of the public and press. It is our hope that the authors of S.B. 304 and H.B. 582 will go back to the drawing board and work on legislation that accomplishes what we all want – rescuing young girls from a life of degradation and despair.”

Georgia Christian Coalition, Chairman Jerry Luquire
“I welcome this bill. It provides a forum for the discussion of ‘kiddie’ prostitution. Without this bill we wouldn’t have an opportunity to discuss a dangerous lifestyle that destroys the lives of many young people and adults. We need something to bring down the wrath of the law for anyone committing the crime of statutory rape against young girls. We should hold such adults accountable. By publishing the pictures of johns, their family, friends and business associates would know what they’re doing. That would be better than sending them to jail.”

Georgia Conservatives in Action, Leader Kay Godwin
“We realize that what we are dealing with is far more serious than cheating on tests in school. Would we consider decriminalization of stealing for children under the age of 16 or alcohol usage or drug abuse? Certainly not! The laws we have in place are there for a reason – to allow children to be guided through the system to where they can get the help they need. “But we, also, realize that far more needs to be done and we applaud Sen. Unterman and Rep. Willard for bringing this issue to the forefront. We need more funding for shelters and more man-power on the ground. We need to be proactive to help rescue and rehabilitate and [we need] more people trained to recognize the signs of abuse. “There is much work to be done, but decriminalizing prostitution is not the answer. We look forward to working with Sen. Unterman and Rep. Willard to get these goals accomplished.”

Faith and Freedom Coalition, Chairman Ralph Reed
“We join with the many pro-family groups opposing the decriminalization of prostitution for minors under the age of 16. While the advocates of this legislation have laudable motives and goals, namely cracking down on human sex trafficking, we believe this is best done through targeted law enforcement, not creating a loophole in the law for prostitution involving minors.
“This legislation will have the opposite of its intended effect, aiding and abetting the exploitation of minors in sex crimes rather than abating it. For these reasons, we oppose it. We favor the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and local law enforcement targeting resources more effectively to crack down on sex trafficking in Georgia.”
Juvenile Records Can Be Expunged
In early discussions of S.B. 304, the argument was made that children should not be arrested, because a police record might negatively affect their future. But the fact is that Georgia law provides for specific circumstances under which police records may be expunged.
Juveniles are eligible for expungement of records if a petition alleging delinquency is not filed or the proceedings are dismissed after either a petition is filed or the case is transferred to the juvenile court as provided under the law or the child is adjudicated not to be a delinquent.
Expungement does not cause records to disappear, but they cannot be accessed for general law enforcement or civil use. Fingerprint cards, photographs, and documents relating exclusively to the arrest are destroyed. Any material that cannot be physically destroyed or which the prosecuting attorney determines must be preserved for constitutional reasons are restricted and not disclosed to any person, unless a prosecuting attorney or a court orders their disclosure.
Status of S.B. 304
During our conversation on February 3rd, Senator Unterman said her bill is being rewritten to include a rehabilitation system patterned after New York’s Safe Harbor program. However, if the new version continues to decriminalize juvenile prostitution, S.B. 304 must be defeated.

Mad Dog February 8, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Nanny state?

lukethedrifter February 8, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Athens,

I know you just printed these for discussion and did not endorse them, but I couldn’t disagree with these organizations more. As someone alluded to above, these are “Country Club Christians” that live far above the dirty streets that underage prostitutes find themselves.

If the act of underage prostitution is uncovered, there will most often be a “John” associated with the act. That is the person who should be prosecuted, not the child. If a young girl or boy is found present at the scene of the crime, they are the victim and should be “rescued,” not charged with a crime.

I don’t believe Senator Unterman’s bill to state that the children are to be simply set free. They will be given treatment and therapy. These kids are afraid of their pimps and employers. They need to learn they can break free from this life of bondage, both mentally and physical. I would like to see Nancy, Ralph and Sadie and their groups there to pick them up and wipe the tears away and show God’s true love.

If Nancy thinks 14 year old pimps and madams will rush to our state to set up shop, she has sniffed too much of her own hairspray. There may be better ways to write the language, but the point is, these are underage victims. They should not be treated as criminals.

Harry February 8, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I’d like to see all us social conservatives help with the (voluntary) funds to heal those broken wings.

Buzz Brockway February 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm

People should check out Street Grace. They are on the frontlines of this fight.

polisavvy February 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Amen and thank you for taking up for these poor children. These Christians need to act like Christians and show and have love in their hearts for these victims. There is so much good that these people could do to aid these children. I just don’t get it.

polisavvy February 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I guess they should all read their Bibles, especially Isaiah 1:17. It doesn’t appear as though they are doing good work, trying to work for justice, or trying to help the down trodden (victims). Maybe they should practice what it is that they preach.

Republican Lady February 8, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I think Conservative Christians must live very sheltered lives and have no compassion for anyone not part of their sheltered world.

I assigned my college students to watch the Natalie Holloway movie and write a three page paper from the legal standpoint of how the investigation was handled and the arrests made, and address any Constitutional issues had the crime occurred in the states. Several wrote on the dangers of teen-age drinking, no adult supervision on a school sponsored trip, and other related issues.

One female student living at home said her dad, a Conservative Christian, refused to allow her, an 18 year old, to watch the movie and write the report because he said Natalie put herself in that situation and deserved what happened to her. I cannot understand his point of view and I am sure that Natalie’s naiveté contributed in some measure to her fate.

I have always been conservative but realistic on many social issues. I cannot understand the “bury your head in the sand” mentality and blaming victims for things like this that happen to them.

polisavvy February 8, 2010 at 10:33 pm

So very true, Republican Lady.

Ken in Eastman February 9, 2010 at 12:20 am

lukethedrifter,

I actually know two of the people quoted in AthensRepublican’s post. They are actually very good people, but they are as wrong as they can be on this.

Also, unless I completely misunderstood the bill, prostitution is still illegal. Pimps, madams and johns still go to jail; it’s just that – as you pointed out – we no longer treat the children as criminals.

This bill – or some version of it – needs to pass.

AthensRepublican February 9, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Luke- I agree with you. I don’t endorse those opinions but just posted them so everyone could see what the opponents of this issue were saying.

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 10:34 pm

“I don’t believe Senator Unterman’s bill to state that the children are to be simply set free. They will be given treatment and therapy.”

Show me in the bill where it says the children “will be given treatment and therapy.” Show it to me, please.

polisavvy February 10, 2010 at 6:24 am

Okay, okay, you are right. (I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you, but I am). I did, at your suggestion, go back and read the bill AGAIN. This time I made sure that I wasn’t emotional. :) I couldn’t find anything about treatment or therapy. Intentions need to be legislated and spelled out in simple terms.

Mozart February 10, 2010 at 8:08 am

Thank you, Poli. I almost teared-up (in a non-emotional way!) with your comment. :-)

polisavvy February 10, 2010 at 8:32 am

There you go again — causing me laughter. You are such a character (and I mean that in a good way). I do get emotional, on occasions (ask my husband); but, I think I do because I’m a mom blob and you know how we are when it comes to children and the thoughts that someone could be harming one or forcing them into acts such as the ones discussed here. I promise I will try to refrain; but, it’s not going to be easy. :)

Progressive Dem February 8, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I applaud Mr. Erikson’s willingness to oppose the social conservatives position on the child prositution bill. Now will he speak against Tea Party types like Tom Tancredo who expresseed a need to return to literacy tests to establish a voter’s qualifications to vote?

Tancredo’s call for a literacy test was rewarded with cheers from the Tea Part meeting. They also cheered Palin when she referenced Texas secession. These people are expressing bigotry and treason. Does the GOP have room for that under their tent?

Is anyone in the Republican Party going to call them out?

WARNING: if you embrace the Tea Party movement like you did the Christian conservatives and don’t ring in the extremists, they will alienate independents and moderates from the GOP. Blacks, Asians and Hispanics have already given up on the GOP. If you let the the Tea Party take hold of the GOP, it will place the party into a demographic death spiral.

JJ222 February 9, 2010 at 8:49 am

Statewide Juvenile Arrests for Prostitution-

2006- 44
2007- 25
2008- 35

Source- GBI Uniform Crime Reports 2009

Think about the scope of the problem.
There simply are not enough arrests to warrant this uproar.

Mozart February 9, 2010 at 4:32 pm

You know, the lack of “arrests” doesn’t mean anything. It just means there has not been enough focus on the problem from law enforcement when they spend all of their time on the litany of other crimes that legislators have decided to make crimes…like, possession of marijuana for personal use.

ByteMe February 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm

On this we agree.

Ken in Eastman February 9, 2010 at 8:08 pm

The lack of arrests make me wonder if something else is flying under the radar. I’m not sure what though.

Comments on this entry are closed.