Georgia Gang Live Blog 2/07/10

Comment using the console below or via Twitter using the hashtag #gagang

1. polisavvy says:

Even the Georgia Gang brought out that Oxendine is beholden to the insurance industry. There are so many questions one has to ask one’s self about his character and ethics. It’s past time for people to wake up and smell the coffee.

2. polisavvy says:

Good to hear how well the stimulus money is being spent. $400,000 for 200 DeKalb County employees (education) to go to a “seminar” in Hollywood. I understand that DeKalb County is under contract with the company that sponsored the event; however, if attendance is required because of said contract, it appears as though fewer should have attended at a lower cost. I’m sure all the furloughed teachers are glad to see this. I know I certainly would be happy.

3. B Balz says:

@polisavvy Yes, the point was made about Mr. Oxendine accepting money for the industry he regulates. The issue, in context, is that the Insurance Commissioner’s office may need to be appointed to prevent this sort of potential malfeasance.

That Mr. Oxendine chose to accept those funds in an improper manner was soft pedaled. Come July, we’ll see how voters perceive the $120,000 question.

Comparing DeKalb to Clayton County is more of the same, and frankly many DeKalb citizens are tiring of the:

DeKalb = Fail argument.

CEO Burrell Ellis is doing a masterful job, and the County Commissioners need to continue to hold up their end of the governmental stick.

In my opinion, Dekalb must continue to shed highly paid, nonsense positions that were created under the previous CEO, resolve the Recorders Court mess, impose impact fees to developers when their project increases student capacity on a school, etc. Light is being shed on the DeKalb County School Board and it cannot be bright or soon enough.

Finally, both Mr. Kent and Mr. Williams are DEAD WRONG about using foreclosure transactions for determining real estate taxable values. Foreclosures are not an ‘arm’s length’ comparable transaction, otherwise MAI appraisals would include them.

In other words, the value of your property is not diminished because your neighbor house is foreclosed upon. Sure the foreclosed property may sell for less, but that is not because it is worth less.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the ruling that allows the use of foreclosures, but it is both good for homeowners and terrible tax policy.

• polisavvy says:

I’m a little confused. I was talking about the money that the BOE in DeKalb Co. spent to attend a seminar in Hollywood. I do agree with you about the other issues you raised, though.

4. B Balz says:

I referenced the Ga Gang ongoing tradition of beating DeKalb County about the head and shoulders, your comment, not so much.

5. B Balz says:

Yeah, I guess any municipality using OUR Fed tax dollars for apparently frivolous expenses is worthy of a call out. DeKalb County School System brings this onto themselves.

• polisavvy says:

Yes, they do. They have for a pretty good while, too. Sad to say, but this is really nothing new in DeKalb County. Feel for the taxpayers there.