Goring the Ox: The Blindfolded Party Guy

Yesterday over at RedState I wrote some more about John Oxendine’s attacks on Lynn Westmoreland due to Westmoreland’s refusal to endorse the guy. For background on this read this post by Icarus, which should disturb all the conservatives on here.

That a guy like the Ox has the temerity to attack a real conservative like Westmoreland through Georgia Public Television is beyond the pale.

One of the commenters at RedState noted that “this is why it is dangerous to be a blindfolded party guy”. This goes to a larger point I’ve made for some time.

A lot of the people who initially surrounded Oxendine were people willing to back him because he’s been the longest serving statewide elected Republican. The people who surrounded him were party guys first and all things second. They had and have little sensical policy positions, but are all about winning at all costs.

Much like the dogs that catch the cars, they’d be run over should they win the primary or, God forbid, bet elected.

Oxendine is a Republican. If you put your blindfold on, I guess that might be good enough for you. But if you take off the party blindfold and look at the guy, it’s kind of hard to see any lasting principles beyond his loyalty to himself.

I suspect a steady drumbeat of stories will start coming out — particularly from insurance executive around the state who all share the same story. They had business with the Ox. He called to tell them he was personally handling the business. Then he said his staff told him the insurance executive had promised a donation and the staff wanted the Ox to follow up with it.

That story is whispered about too commonly across the state among those in the insurance industry. We’ll see if there is any truth to it. I suspect the Ox, in pissing off Lynn Westmoreland, has fatally wounded his own campaign.

Good riddance.

1. polisavvy says:

I sincerely hope that you are correct, Erick. He needs to go and the sooner the better. I thought his performance last night was mediocre at best. I did see a side of him that, if everything is true about the way he conducts himself, he could have quite a temper. He also showed that he could be vindictive just by becoming so annoyed that anyone would so much as disagree with him. He’s all about the Ox and nothing more. He wouldn’t know the truth if it slapped him in the face. I have a very good friend of 47 years who is in the insurance business and for years I have heard him say how the guy operates. I don’t believe that any of our suspicions are inaccurate.

2. John Konop says:

Erick,

I agree with you and a very good post. As I said before, the part that seems illogical to me is why would OX even called Westmoreland if he was a target of an investigation? And if he did call Westmoreland the questions and interview should have been recorded and witnessed to avoid any issues regarding Westmoreland’s rights, conflict on interest, proper investigating process……..

Unless Ox can answer why he called Westmoreland and did not follow proper procedure in an investigation, it seems clear Westmoreland is telling the truth. And it would be no surprise if this type of abuse of power was used on others if Ox cannot explain the above.

• polisavvy says:

John, I agree with you. I feel pretty sure that there have been other “victims” before Westmoreland and, hopefully, some more will have the courage to come forward. I don’t believe the contacting of Westmoreland was a first, middle, or even last time that this type of abuse occurred. JMMHO. And, for whatever it’s worth, I feel that Westmoreland is telling the absolute truth on this. There would be too much at stake for Westmoreland to fabricate this story. Oxendine needs to understand that lies have a tendency to catch up with you eventually. As my dad always said, “if you always tell the truth, you don’t have to remember a lie.”

3. trainsplz says:

I’m not a fan of Ox, Eric – but some sources, maybe? Spreading those kinds of unsubstantiated rumors in print is pretty low. Though I suppose that was the buzz on Richardson, too. Tough world.

4. Kellie says:

To the GOP –
    I have the ability to pick out jerks right away. I’d be happy to weed out future candidates for you. 😉

5. B Balz says:

“They[GOP party guys] had and have little sensical policy positions, but are all about winning at all costs.” Well, of course, that’s their job!

Losers don’t legislate, that’s what makes the ‘great game’ so ugly at times. GOP party guys and gals listen up:

The GOP 2010 GA gubernatorial candidate must be cleaner than clean representing a fresh start to the daunting challenges we Georgians face.

The real question is will the GOP nominee be both beyond reproach and a poll leader?

• Ken in Eastman says:

B Balz,

You are correct. With the damage already done to the GOP brand, the face of the GOP will be its gubernatorial nominee. We cannot afford scandal.

We might great strides by putting David Ralston in the Speaker’s chair. We now need to follow through and show that was no fluke by electing a GOP governor who does the right thing.

• Ken in Eastman says:

We might great strides . . .

That should be We made great strides

No, I have no ideas why my typos often make other words.

6. ZazaPachulia says:

If the uppity co-star of the funniest Colbert Report segment of all time is such a “true conservative,” why in the world is he supporting Nathan Deal?

What we have here is two of the Georgia G.O.P’s biggest embarrassments making us feel ashamed and guilty for repeatedly electing them both to office.

Somebody, please come down to the third district and run against Lynn. And whatever you do, don’t vote for the Ox. Ox nomination = Barnes in a landslide, or worst case: Ox as governor.

7. StephenLocustGrove says:

I hate to say this, but Erick is wrong. Lynn is a lot better then some of our US Congressmen. I have met him several times and he is a very nice guy. Look up his voting record and you will see (or should see) a lot of his votes are not conservative at all. He is also pushing for GA to get another US Congressman. Lynn should be introducing a bill to stop the expansion of elected officials. This is what a TRUE conservative would do. I still say he is a very nice guy but if a real conservative or a Libertarian runs against him I would consider voting against him.

• Ken in Eastman says:

Stephen are you spoofing or are you really not aware that the number of US Reps does not increase but is merely reapportioned?

• ByteMe says:

It’s this sentence that followed that confused him: Lynn should be introducing a bill to stop the expansion of elected officials.

• Ken in Eastman says:

ByteMe,

I’m not sure if that second sentence confused me or clarified what he meant, but surely he doesn’t think we just keep adding more Congress Critters, does he?

• Ken in Eastman says:

Which means that some other state will lose one US Representative. It’s a zero-sum game and the total will remain 435 whether Georgia has 13 or 14.

Weight Watchers could help with that.

• ByteMe says:

It’s simpler than Weight Watchers:

Stop frying everything you eat in breading and lard!

I spent 3 weeks in Nowhere, GA one time and had to spend a week in “detox” eating green salads just to get the crap out of my system.

8. bwjohnson83 says:

The OX is working hard and says a lot of the right things. I have one problem with him. He’s never made legislation or voted under fire.

Senator Jeff Chapman is my candidate. He says this “All tea bags look the same until you add hot water.”

No one knows what the OX actually will do once in office. I guess you could say the same about Sonny.

Senator Chapman is not recieving the support of the state republican leadership. That’s probably the best compliment a person could get!

9. StephenLocustGrove says:

bwjohnson83.. That is the greatest compliment you can get. Ray and Jeff are the only two candidates that the GA GOP doesn’t support.

10. StephenLocustGrove says:

Byteme and KeninEastman… You guys are funny. I could say Karen Handel is a man and yall would actually post something about it. Yall need to get a hobby. For the record… I’m not stating that Karen is a man. Just using that for example. I love getting you guys fired up! Its very entertaining